Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Blizzard hiring an Associate Game Director

https://careers.blizzard.com/global/...ld-of-Warcraft

I'm very curious as to why would Ion need someone to "partner with", according to the job description.

Edit: forgot to mention in the thread title that this Associate Game Director job is for WoW, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Because somebody needs to tell the dude Conduit Energy sucks every 5 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post

I'm very curious as to why would Ion need someone to "partner with", according to the job description.

Edit: forgot to mention in the thread title that this Associate Game Director job is for WoW, of course.
    Because the man needs back-up.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Cause his last two expansion have been an outstanding success

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post

Yeah this sounds like just a normal peon that would be on the bottom end of his team. And "partner with" is basically HR speak for can you listen to your boss. Can't say either way because I don't creep all over Blizzard's hiring practices but one of my retail jobs called us a Associate Sales Consultant or some nonsense. I'd hardly say I "partnered" with the supervisor to make important decisions in the way you seem to be implying. This could very easily be a bottom rung employee on the team.

edit-nvm read further down the list. Coach/mentor employees def not a bottom tier posting.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2021-08-04 at 05:40 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Associate Game Director! Sounds good and they are hiring someone new not one of the other WoW team members.... sure this is where that diversity comes in, it will likely be one woman or black woman becoming the Associate Game Director!

I got nothing against that but it's clear Blizzard trying to change their all-white male developer's teams! To look better to the outside world and in the upcoming court battle

Also: Maintain communication with the community via forum posts, press announcements, interviews, and public appearances... Finally, someone that talks to the player base!
    Last edited by |Dexter|; 2021-08-04 at 05:54 PM.

I'll do it for free.

Obviously they're trying to add more diversity in leadership roles but can't just fire the males because thats discrimination, so they're simply splitting the positions in 2. I think its good to spread out some of the power.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    "The World of Warcraft team is looking for a talented Associate Game Director with phenomenal communication skills, proven leadership experience, a strong design background, and a track record of shipping AAA games. Your quest will be to guide the future of World of Warcraft. You’ll help lead the charge for a highly talented team to continuously strive to make the best experience possible."

I mean... They do need that!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
    Obviously they're trying to add more diversity in leadership roles but can't just fire the males because thats discrimination, so they're simply splitting the positions in 2. I think its good to spread out some of the power.
    I…you make a good point at the end but the beginning is dumb lol

I'll be an Armchair Game Director for Ion:

1) Please stop taking a largely data-driven approach to designing every aspect of the game. Not every zone needs its own currency or gimmick, especially the convoluted inter-dependent types. Let us quest, let us connect with characters, let us earn rep and care about factions. Don't force fringe gameplay like Torghast on everyone.

2) Copy FF14's homework. They essentially copied YOURS in the beginning and they've held truer to simple design principles the WoW team has lost sight of.

That's it.

I’m fairly certain this position isn’t new

Quote Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
    2) Copy FF14's homework.
    They added Vulpera, isn't that enough?

edit: Well I guess they could add about 600 more items to the Blizzard Store. :^)

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    I…you make a good point at the end but the beginning is dumb lol
    I know it sounds dumb but its the reality.

Relapses ur awesome btw !!!!
    Black
    You value power, ambition, and darkness. You love power at any cost, and are a corrupting influence on those around you. At your best, you are resourceful and unashamed. At your worst, you are parasitic and amoral. Your symbol is a skull. Your enemies are white and green

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're also apparently hiring new class designers across all areas (general design, PvP, and tuning).

Maybe, just maybe, they're finally realizing the game needs new ideas...
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I think Ion would be better as an encounter designer solely rather then a lead myself.

I frequently check blizzard for accounting positions. Based on what I’ve seen they’ve either let people go or people have quit. A lot more jobs seem to be opening up

Probably wants help.
    Possibly due to the problems the company is having right now and thinks it’s a good time to bring on new people.
    States under job responsibilities: Maintain communication with the community via forum posts, press announcements, interviews, and public appearances. So Ion might be stepping out of the public view (hurray someone new for the mmo-c toxic fan base to blame all of WoW’s problems on).
    Might be completely out of his hands and the new higher ups want people to have partners to bounce ideas off of and run as a duo.
    Who knows? Speculation is fun.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    I’m fairly certain this position isn’t new
    It isn't, as a matter of fact Ion held it during most of WoD. But once he became game director, the position in question appeared to have been effectively deprecated... Until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.