Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Zereth Mortis (Realm of the First Ones) + Azeroth

TLDR: Azeroth has been hyped for years as being 'really important'. In recent years, we believed the answer to be because shes the Titan worldsoul of Azeroth (and one potentially more poweful than Sargeras). However, with Shadowlands and recent events - I think this is being further revised (or retconned) to reposition Azeroth as something much bigger and much more important than being 'just a Titan' - but rather, something important and/or unique on a cosmic scale: a location.

So could "Azeroth" not actually be the name of a Titan, but instead be "A Zereth" (A keystone) - the name of a location or place with cosmic importance? If "Zereth Mortis" can be translated as "Keystone Death"... then can Azeroth be translated as Keystone _______, with some part of its true name unknown/missing?

---

Two big reveals in dialogue ingame after completing the main campaign. Between Tal-Galan and Ve'nari:

https://imgur.com/mx6XwXp

Between Bolvar and The Primus

https://imgur.com/a/xYQx8q4

This is the first time the realm of the first ones has been namedropped, but not the first time the word 'zereth' has been banded about lately. You can read about "Zereth" being discussed on a wowhead news post here: https://www.wowhead.com/news/grimoir...and-the-323424

I can say with confidence that you, Overseer, must have been as intriduged as I by the promising intial reports delivered by Al'firim on his journey to locate the Sepulcher of the First Ones. The fact that he decoded any of the glyphs at all was more progress than has been made in many ages of study (though whether "zereth" is best translated as "keystone" or "cornerstone" remains a subtle, yet ongoing, debate).
    All these bread-crumb reveals make me wonder...

1 - Theres been lots of talk (and some hints) that Azeroth, going forward, is being positioned (or repositioned / retconned even) to be at the very centre of the cosmic chart. You can see visual depiction/discussion of this in Taliesins video here: https://youtu.be/BhsDlrL0a3c?t=1158
    2 - This position would certainly make Azeroth.... A-"Zereth" (keystone / cornerstone) - uniquely positioned/powerful
    3 - The Primus saying 'death comes for the soul of our world' could be a literal indication that the Jailer (death) is coming for Azeroth (soul of our world). If the Jailer wants to unmake reality, isnt it interesting he would feel the need to specifically come to Azeroth to doso.....?

A few random chains of thought:

- Azeroth is not actually a titan at all, or not 'just a titan' at the least. Despite players ingame being told/led to think so for years now, but is actually going to be eventually revealed (or retconned) to be a First One - maybe the only one remaining/surviving/hiding/gestating - which is what makes her so powerful / sought after / unique on a cosmic scale. Or maybe Azeroth is the only Being positioned/powerful enough in reality to become an avatar for the First Ones, due to its position as a zereth of the cosmic chart.
    - Azeroth is the centre of the cosmic chart (centre of reality). And this makes it uniquely special/powerful, on a cosmic scale, for reasons we players don't yet fully understand. Theres been talk of a 7th cosmic power that perhaps holds/binds the other 6 together... maybe Azeroths central position on the cosmic chart is key to discovering/unlocking/harnessing/understanding/controlling/weaponizing the 7th cosmic force... and maybe this is the reason the Jailer specifically is coming 'for the soul of our world'.
    - example theory: In cheesy Avengers terms, if Zovaal is wielding the Infinity Stones (Sigils), Azeroth itself might be the Infinity Gauntlet -- empowered via its central cosmic location where the Stones can be activated to destroy 50% of the universe (unmake reality). And before you laugh at that thought, remember that lore mentioned above specifically cites 'a zereth' as either being a keystone/cornerstone.... which is either the central piece of the puzzle, or the most important piece that binds the rest together. So if Zovaal has collected all the Infinity stones, it sure seems possible he would need 'a zereth' to activate them. And if 'zereth mortis' is specifically for the realm of death, then 'azeroth' could be the equivilant for the realm of life.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2021-08-11 at 07:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Azeroth and "a Zereth" just look like slight transliteration to me.

Man, can we just get our simple game back where we go around killing dragons and getting cool shit. This convoluted and hidden lore is getting a little *much* for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    They did really take the positive reception to the Puzzlebox of Yogg'Saron a little to much to heart.

Edit: Woops sorry replied to wrong person!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyiana View Post
    good, i wanted at least a name of where we were going! im interested still, and i'm pumped ve'nari is still involved. i love this lady.
    I couldn't wait to get her to replace Bob for me in Hearthstone.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Zereth Mortis - Key of Death
    Azeroth/A Zereth - Key of Order?

5+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Azeroth is in fact the realm of the First Ones and that would make sense. Zereth Mortis could be another realm of the First Ones on the death side and Azeroth on the life side. This would confirm my theory about two constellar twin brothers: Algalon and Harbaron. This is getting interesting.
    Last edited by Progenitor Aquarius; 2021-08-10 at 07:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Maybe Azeroth is in fact the realm of the First Ones and that would make sense.
    Bruh the Sepulcher is literally just SW of undercity.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    Bruh the Sepulcher is literally just SW of undercity.
    What? Where!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    What? Where!
    Is the name of a Forsaken base in Silverpine Forest. I doubt it's the same place.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Sepulcher

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    Is the name of a Forsaken base in Silverpine Forest. I doubt it's the same place.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Sepulcher
    Sylvanas and her Valkyr were there earlier! Holy shit!
    I checked it just now, there is nothing there unless there is some secret door that haven't been released yet or whatever that was there could be already stolen.
    Last edited by Progenitor Aquarius; 2021-08-10 at 08:19 PM.

Some solid speculation dude, Azeroth has been hyped to death with being something monumentally important. Would love to finally get some real definitive answers on the how and what even if the when it all matters is still far off.

While it's nice to hear a little more about the first ones and I'm absolutely excited to go there, which I'm sure will be the next patch, I can't help but feel that this entire expansion is just going to pull a Thanos on us.

Zovall wants to "unmake reality" and he had to collect 5 mcguffins to do it. Now he'll snap his fingers and fullfil his plan to kill half the life in the universe, I mean, unmake reality.

A Zereth being equivalent to Azeroth would really be the swerve of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahraa View Post
    Man, can we just get our simple game back where we go around killing dragons and getting cool shit. This convoluted and hidden lore is getting a little *much* for me.
    Convoluted??? It is only that way for the people who can not follow simple things. It is pretty basic tbh and in no way convoluted.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    3 - The Primus saying 'death comes for the soul of our world' could be a literal indication that the Jailer (death) is coming for Azeroth (soul of our world).
    It's worth pointing out that at some point which I can't remember (it's either the Maw intro or one of the Wrath of the Jailer events) Zovaal says something akin to "Your world's soul will be mine / will die" or something similar. Definitely mentioning our world and his intention to destroy it / claim it. Yeah, the Jailer wants to remake reality, but this one particular line was oddly specific.

In any case, Azeroth being super important would at least make sense why it's so close to the Shadowlands themselves, as shown by the shattered veil.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    In any case, Azeroth being super important would at least make sense why it's so close to the Shadowlands themselves, as shown by the shattered veil.
    I've heard people say it before but maybe the jokes about the Jailer being Thanos is true. And he is collecting "power stones" from powerful beings of each cosmic force. Azeroth is the last he needs.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I've heard people say it before but maybe the jokes about the Jailer being Thanos is true. And he is collecting "power stones" from powerful beings of each cosmic force. Azeroth is the last he needs.
    Well, using your Thanos analogy, if you look at Azeroth in the context of being a keystone (zereth) that holds something special together - it could effectively be the Infinity Gauntlet, which holds the 'power stones/sigils' together. If Azeroth is the centre of the cosmic map, centre of everything, it makes it pretty easy to see why it could be a central point to hold/place all power stones etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    It's worth pointing out that at some point which I can't remember (it's either the Maw intro or one of the Wrath of the Jailer events) Zovaal says something akin to "Your world's soul will be mine / will die" or something similar. Definitely mentioning our world and his intention to destroy it / claim it. Yeah, the Jailer wants to remake reality, but this one particular line was oddly specific.

He says it in the intro to Maw. "Death comes for the soul of your world."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    Zereth Mortis - Key of Death
    Azeroth/A Zereth - Key of Order?
    Yeah, I think that's going to be a thing.

"Azeroth" is just a poorly translated/transcribed "name" for some sort of anchor/key/convergence. If Zereth Mortis is the origination point of Death, I'd imagine Azeroth is known as Zereth ____ and is the origination point of Life. And this is in part what Zovaal wants to know: where these origin points are, so he can obliterate them.

I think it is interesting to consider how the attendants are aware of Zereth Mortis but not the other Zereth locations. It would also bring a bit of clarity to know whether The First Ones are the First Ones of Death or literally the first sentient beings in all of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahraa View Post

Couldn't agree more with you mate.

Remember even MOP times? We were "an adventurer from beyond the mists"! How cool is that?!

Compared to: We are the ones who will stop TITAN++ Model, get into the realm of "The first ones" who created our universe and shit! Ah and next expansion, we'll kill bears to get their livers.

Pathetic...