Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why the Grind System is Pure Shit in Any Game

Grind is there in many mmo-s especially asian ones, but is also present in many single-player games as well.

Now this system is specially designed to give the player the illusion of achieving something simply because they got lucky, or otherwise spent meaningless time playing said game.

It is boring, unintuitive, and to top it all of meaningless. Ban this system along with lootboxes.

To all the neckbeards screaming reeeeee! entitled! reeeee!, just accept the fact that what you put time into is an illusion created to deceive you into playing any game for more time than it's actually worth. This holds true to any past and future games with any grind mechanic as well.

Update:

An acquisition-based progression per se would not be the problem. Just make it interesting, not like, oh I'm chopping down this tree or killing the bear for the 10 thousandth time, but make the trees and bears themselves different from each other for example. You axe could break and you need to retrieve the broken piece, differentiate the angle at which you chop, you need to sharpen it now and then, one bear uses this strategy the other one uses another.

Make the things you do at any given time way less monotonous and way more varied. Also get rid of disproportionately high number requirements for anything. Make everything you do, no matter how little, have meaning.

The possibilities of having random variations are virtually endless, and all should emerge organically from a cause.
    Last edited by LeeRoyMahBoy; 2021-08-11 at 01:05 PM.

I treat grinding more like a virtual fidget spinner. Giving the caveman part of my brain something to do while I enjoy music or listen to audiobooks. I like grinding.

Problem is that this game isn't even giving me something to grind for, at least not in a satisfying way. I don't get to grind relevant things in locations I enjoy and these days a lot of grinding is interrupted by other busywork, or timegated where you eventually run out of things to grind until next week.

I remember legion where you'd have to spend a considerable chunk of your day if you wanted to exhaust all the available world quests. Just cruising around on the Broken Islands looking for more. But the way Shadowlands, or BfA are set up is that not only do these world quests yield nothing I care about, but they're also all split amongst separate continents that rob the experience of travel and exploration out of it.

There's just too many hoops to jump through in Shadowlands. Just give me something that I can grind, not expecting any of the rewards players who play it the right way are able to obtain, just something, anything to grind towards.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoyMahBoy View Post
    Grind is there in many mmo-s especially asian ones, but is also present in many single-player games as well.

Now this system is specially designed to give the player the illusion of achieving something simply because they got lucky, or otherwise spent meaningless time playing said game.

It is boring, unintuitive, and to top it all of meaningless. Ban this system along with lootboxes.

To all the neckbeards screaming reeeeee! entitled! reeeee!, just accept the fact that what you put time into is an illusion created to deceive you into playing any game for more time than it's actually worth. This holds true to any past and future games with any grind mechanic as well.
    I would not mind the grind if they fckin keep it in the long run for stuff achieved. But they nerf it every time and make it easier in the future expansions and makes me feel like i wasted my time for nothing.
    For example the reputations in MOP for which i wasted a couple of months to get them all to exalted and then they nerfed it and you can make that in a day now.
    Last edited by Soimu; 2021-08-11 at 05:30 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Listen habibi, grind system differs from one to another. Shadowlands one is very boring as you said and does not makw sense. Sometimes its abiut the game, in legion we felt that such syatem like Artifact is goos because it was the first on its kind, but that was it, pvp gearing was ez, Pve gearing was also ez but for hardcores only the problem was the "luck" part of legendary

But now in shadowlands millions of shit. You have to grind all the bitch ass covenant, the bitch ass torghast, the bitch ass endless pvp gearing grind, the bitch ass legendary.

Now if you have legendary, you need to grind to rank it up
    If you have pvp gear yoy have to rank it ass up

That is an example of a bitch ass system that is bad of " grinding". What i want to clearify is there is a solution which is make the grind good. Which is nerf the fuck up and make it optional with rewards for those who want to be hardcore but non gameplay rewards.

Meaningless is a meaningless term... Any entertainment has about as much meaning as it has value to the individual. A grind has meaning if it has value to the person. Plenty of people like grinds and thus it had value to them, thus meaning.

This is just another thread trying to make a subjective argument to be disguised as some objective revelation, eye opener.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    ...or otherwise spent meaningless time playing said game.
    Unless you're on a pro Overwatch or Starcraft team playing for purses, playing video games is meaningless no matter what you're doing.

If grind is so terrible in MMO's why do they all have them? And how did the MMO's get to be so popular?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Life is meaningless. Time to ban that too.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Meaningless is a meaningless term... Any entertainment has about as much meaning as it has value to the individual. A grind has meaning if it has value to the person. Plenty of people like grinds and thus it had value to them, thus meaning.

This is just another thread trying to make a subjective argument to be disguised as some objective revelation, eye opener.
    I'm sure there are also people who enjoy masturbating with sandpaper. Or who think they are a cat, dog, apache helicopter or whatever.
    But enjoying something bad, or having misconceptions about your own body or the world itself because of having a mental illness is not the same as looking at the objective reality that we all live in.

Sure video games are there to kill time, but you can go beyond the illusion of doing something relevant to you when in actuality what you're doing is not even relevant to yourself, despite you thinking it is. That is the quintessence of living under and illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Unless you're on a pro Overwatch or Starcraft team playing for purses, playing video games is meaningless no matter what you're doing.

If grind is so terrible in MMO's why do they all have them? And how did the MMO's get to be so popular?
    Popular with the lowest common denominator of humanity.

10+ Year Old Account

I personally enjoy the grind in black desert, it's Easy, Relaxing and just mindless fun.

Pop in a Podcast or audio book and just play.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

The answer is obvious and stated in my entrée post: to make you spend meaningless time engaging with said game. Either by artificially lengthening your sub fee to pay more directly, or to just make the game become a part of your life without actually putting any work in to develop a meainigful system, instead you are just thrown in and grind like a mindless ant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    I personally enjoy the grind in black desert, it's Easy, Relaxing and just mindless fun.

Pop in a Podcast or audio book and just play.
    Why not just do it independently then? Or if you are inclined to have input from many different media at once, there are many idle games specifically designed to cater to downtime with far more interactivity and diversity than say killing the same mob a thousand times.
    Last edited by LeeRoyMahBoy; 2021-08-11 at 10:54 AM.

grinding in Albion Online and Path of Exile is very satisfying...

I find your position that it's there to give an illusion ...an innocent one. It's mainly there to SELL MONTHLY FEES. There is nothing in an MMO that says it should have grinding; that's what Blizzard does; an MMO must be massively multiplayer the end.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    I find your position that it's there to give an illusion ...an innocent one. It's mainly there to SELL MONTHLY FEES. There is nothing in an MMO that says it should have grinding; that's what Blizzard does; an MMO must be massively multiplayer the end.
    Read my post 1 post above yours. you will be delightfully surprised

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by regardoz View Post
    Listen habibi, grind system differs from one to another. Shadowlands one is very boring as you said and does not makw sense. Sometimes its abiut the game, in legion we felt that such syatem like Artifact is goos because it was the first on its kind, but that was it, pvp gearing was ez, Pve gearing was also ez but for hardcores only the problem was the "luck" part of legendary

But now in shadowlands millions of shit. You have to grind all the bitch ass covenant, the bitch ass torghast, the bitch ass endless pvp gearing grind, the bitch ass legendary.

Now if you have legendary, you need to grind to rank it up
    If you have pvp gear yoy have to rank it ass up

That is an example of a bitch ass system that is bad of " grinding". What i want to clearify is there is a solution which is make the grind good. Which is nerf the fuck up and make it optional with rewards for those who want to be hardcore but non gameplay rewards.
    Listen homie, Doesn't matter. Any grind of any type is still only in place to artificially lengthen play time.
    Last edited by LeeRoyMahBoy; 2021-08-11 at 11:07 AM.

I like grinding. Alot of sense of accomplishment comes when you have to do "unfun" stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooshie View Post
    I like grinding. Alot of sense of accomplishment comes when you have to do "unfun" stuff too.
    So you go into a restaurant, order a large sundae, but are given uncooked broccoli first and they make you pay for both?
    Or you go into a cinema to watch Avengers or whatever, but first you have to sit through watching two hours of crabs marching into the sea?
    Last edited by LeeRoyMahBoy; 2021-08-11 at 11:12 AM.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    They put content in games so you will have so you will have a reason to pay for and play the games?

Really riveting and groundbreaking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    They put content in games so you will have so you will have a reason to pay for and play the games?

Really riveting and groundbreaking stuff.
    In what way shape or form can grinding be described as "content"? Go ahead, I'm very curious.
    Content is what you only get after meaningless grinding. Or in some cases don't even get at all as described in some posts above.
    Last edited by LeeRoyMahBoy; 2021-08-11 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooshie View Post
    I like it too sometimes because it objectively satisfies our instinct to like dopamine secretion (it gets released after "succeeding at tasks" even if we fake it or even if we waste our time).
    But it's a horrible thing to have ENFORCED. Meaning: I may want to do high-end raiding for a week and not grind even if I do enjoy grinding sometimes.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    In what way shape or form can grinding be described as "content"? Go ahead, I'm very curious.
    In what way is doing something and being rewarded for it "content"? Is that what you're asking?

This post is pretty cringe. I mean we're touching on iamverysmart levels of stupidity here