Sub Rogue Difficulty

Hi all,

I've heard a lot of people say sub rogue is an extremely difficult spec to play and has a steep learning curve. Is this actually true or just hyperbole? For reference: I'm used to playing exclusively assassination and various healer specs (holy paladin, resto shaman, MW monk).

Thanks

As a sub rogue main who pretty much exclusively PvPs and is 2.1k rated in Arena/RBGs (a tiny bit of credibility), I can confirm sub rogue is relatively one of the harder classes to play well.

Your job is to control as much as it is to damage in PvP, and that means you have to be comfortable with focus macros and arena1/2/3 macros. Our bread and butter control is being able to stun multiple targets during dance, also sapping an off-target out of blind/other-CC while you're bursting down kill target in a dance. That takes some finesse. Also balancing spending combo points to kidney vs do damage, and just in general having all your damage + utility come in a dance window and doing nothing outside of it can be tough.

Also, much of your ability to do well in PvP will come down to your ability to reset, aka get out of combat and back into stealth, which is harder nowadays with the nerf to the stealth-shield conduit.

All in all, in PvP, to play really well you're expected to have awareness of every target and be cross CC'ing multiple targets while also lining up your cooldowns (dance + symbols + trinket) properly to burst down a target. And if you get CC'd after popping symbols + dance, you're pretty much useless for another 30 seconds or so.

Good luck

it is really hard to play sub rogue i might add. wod had perfect balance.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

sub rogue has got to be better for 10.0 wow too many deaths. not enough kills / wins
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Wow...

Well, I am a shite Combat (yeah, yeah, Outlaw) Rogue playing since the tail-end of Wrath...

I am butt-hurt because I cannot tmog my Fangs of the Father while playing Outlaw, nor is it possible to use them in Timewalking dungeons (I recall doing this when TW dungeons first started)...

Blizz had to do some behind-the-scenes stuff for them to work for Combat when they debuted in Cata, seems they let all that go to the wayside since...

Not being able to tmog them is like an extra "frak you" from Blizz...

So anyway, I guess I should look to Ass, because if I am a shite Outlaw, I will def be a double shitte Sub Rogue...!

Quote Originally Posted by Frenetix View Post
    Hi all,

I've heard a lot of people say sub rogue is an extremely difficult spec to play and has a steep learning curve. Is this actually true or just hyperbole? For reference: I'm used to playing exclusively assassination and various healer specs (holy paladin, resto shaman, MW monk).

Thanks
    Honestly I don't know what to think really. I saw someone in game ripping into some dude for liking sub because they deem sub a painfully simple "shadow dance and shadow strike" specc with nothing "interesting" going on.

I don't think it's too "hard" but a lot of the more weird issues fall into more passive effects and that is what some people just ignore or think less of since it's not "activated".