Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Exactly. And peope are forgetting that they might come for housing, but probably not only for them: yes, someone might decorate their house as in one of the home improvement-shows out there ingame too, but they might raid or do mythic+ too. But without it, they might not even come and play at all. Will it be a feature for everyone, nope, but it will be a feature for a lot of players who are actually interested in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Player will not come back for guild housing, or they will simply form solo guilds to create their own homes, and having this is as idiotic as implement only guild housing; as said a waste of ressources.

That does NOT mean that guild housing should NOT be a thing, it would actually be smart to have a guild home; but having this only is utterly stupid.
    The last thing wow needs is to bring in another niché playerbase that doesn't participate in anything else than that specific type of content. (Pet battlers, RPers, etc). Literal waste of space. Let's keep the Sims players fucking far away.

There's nothing but anecdotal evidence that player housing would bring in a "lot" of players.
    Hi

I don't trust these devs even a second on making proper playing housing

Look at the architectural freedom and beauty that Valheim lets you put into your home. And these homes are made with hard work, you've got to gather your materials, build your tool. The home you own is the one you build, you designed, you worked hard to achieve, and it occasionally gets attacked by trolls.

And even these homes lose their novelty. Once you've built the home and beat the final bosses, there's nothing there for you to do anymore.

There is no way in the world that Blizzard will ever give you this level of crafting in WoW. They can't. The servers won't handle it either. You get to piece prefabs together at best and you'll find that your neighbour four blocks ahead in that instance has that same combination of prefabs.

And exactly at that point is when you'll go deja vu, you're sitting in a garrison.

Never say never: blizzard never considered it, because their old formula: add a new raid, new mythic+ and maybe some scraps for solo player worked until now. But 9.1 was an disaster for them; yes they fullified their formula, but the playerbase is dwindling.

Blizzard was always keen of copying stuff from other mmos back then, but now they are with the back on the wall: player housing and stuff like this might be the only way to recover for them. Because as said before: the old blizzard-fomula (that's actually even worse than the ubisoft-one) does not work anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it would. FFXIV shows that players are into it, period.
    Much like every other thing they've done, housing will probably "recover players" for about 2 weeks and then they'll realise every other MMO with housing did it 100x better. Except maybe BDO; their housing was pretty lackluster. This idea that "Wow Blizzard such a big company!" means they'll actually put solid amounts of detail into something, is pretty unfounded given how half-assed a lot of their other systems are.

It certainly isn't gonna be Valheim level, I doubt it would even be Everquest 2 level. Let alone FF14 or something like SOLO more recently. Bet even Maplestory 2 blows WoW housing away (although housing was one of MS2's good points so).
    Last edited by Ryzeth; 2021-08-15 at 10:35 AM.

Player will not come back for guild housing, or they will simply form solo guilds to create their own homes, and having this is as idiotic as implement only guild housing; as said a waste of ressources.

That does NOT mean that guild housing should NOT be a thing, it would actually be smart to have a guild home; but having this only is utterly stupid.
    Hence why I said it should be a sub system, essentially like in FFXIV, where a guild can just buy a house as well insted of just singular people. Maybe there should be an option for special guild houses, but only having guild houses has pretty much always resulted in only a very tiny fraction of people in the guild engaging in it. The idea behind housing is usually to capitalize on the players individual creativity by reflecting their own effort and achievments. The problem in WoW is that guilds are already utterly disposable, so there is little to no reason to have a feature that is exclusive to structures that break apart and reform in sub annual cycles on average.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I consider myself a collector of mounts and transmogs. Been playing the game for 13 years and I really connect with your words about feeling proud of progress. But player housing is a terrible idea, and one I really hope they stay away from. The garrison was a prison. Iwant to roam the world, not stay home. I can do the latter irl.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antontein View Post
    Player housing = absolutely not.

Guild housing = yes.
    Oh please no. I don't want any other person to mess with my house. Guild houses would end up being the toy of the guild master, nothing more. It's like playing Minecraft but only one is allowed to build while all the other need to farm stuff ...

#TEAMGIRAFFE

What a great idea, add housing so citys are even emptier than in wod times because whats the point of an mmo anyways. You guys gotta play some SP games.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I didn't mean that housing couldn't be tied to those activities. That's exactly what garrisons were like where you could acquire things for it as you played the game like archeology trophies, monuments, and decorations. The difference I was pointing to is that garrisons take active management to do things like change layouts or decorations. Meanwhile achievements and transmogs are simply lists that get checked off as you collect them and always travel around with you.

Housing could certainly be completely passive, simply a visual representation of various items and achievements that you acquire. You collect X item and it immediately appears in its designated space in your house (similar to the garrison archeology stuff that had a set layout). However, the sentiment that I feel like I hear more often is the desire for something that is ACTIVELY managed, where you can change things like the location, layout, style, furnishings, decorations, etc. THAT'S the part that would make it a mini game outside of the core game activities I listed.
    The reason garrisons failed so miserably is two reasons. First, it encouraged raid logging and gave far too many awards from the mission table. Two, there was absolutely no customization for the most part. So many other games are able to introduce player housing that's 100% customizable. If WoW didn't make housing that is similar to a game like FFXIV's customization options, it would just be another garrison situation and nobody would use it. Especially because I think it should be completely decorative and not have a mission table or anything. That way players could use the housing casually but wouldn't feel obligated to spend all their time there if there's no options for resources in the house. So no mission table, herb garden, mine, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kruschpak View Post
    What a great idea, add housing so citys are even emptier than in wod times because whats the point of an mmo anyways. You guys gotta play some SP games.
    The reason everyone spent time in their garrisons was because they had absolutely no reason to go anywhere else. Things like the herb garden and the trading post caused players to sit in them all day. If player housing was nothing but escapism that doesn't supply resources, we wouldn't have another garrison situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    You can play the Sims.

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed that for you!

Though I find the housing in FFXIV to be a complete waste of time and resources myself.

Remember folks, loud & vocal minorities are just that.
    Except player housing is super popular in FFXIV. The real minority are the people who don't want player housing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Except player housing is super popular in FFXIV. The real minority are the people who don't want player housing at all.
    The real minority are the people who still would pick player housing if they were shown the amount of content that they would have to give up for it instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The reason garrisons failed so miserably is two reasons. First, it encouraged raid logging and gave far too many awards from the mission table. Two, there was absolutely no customization for the most part. So many other games are able to introduce player housing that's 100% customizable. If WoW didn't make housing that is similar to a game like FFXIV's customization options, it would just be another garrison situation and nobody would use it. Especially because I think it should be completely decorative and not have a mission table or anything. That way players could use the housing casually but wouldn't feel obligated to spend all their time there if there's no options for resources in the house. So no mission table, herb garden, mine, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason everyone spent time in their garrisons was because they had absolutely no reason to go anywhere else. Things like the herb garden and the trading post caused players to sit in them all day. If player housing was nothing but escapism that doesn't supply resources, we wouldn't have another garrison situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah sure, but I was referring to the people wanting housing in wow - those are a overwhelming minority.

I'm sure the housing in FFXIV is popular. I find it awful, personally, and judging from the house lot drama the system seems quite flawed.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    The real minority are the people who still would pick player housing if they were shown the amount of content that they would have to give up for it instead.
    If you think playerhousing costs you a raid tier you are frankly just utterly clueless.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

At least a zone or two. Like it did in WoD.

At least a zone or two. Like it did in WoD.
    Case in point: utterly clueless.

10+ Year Old Account
    one word guildhall...i made it one word for /char
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."

Yes it would. FFXIV shows that players are into it, period.
    We're talking about WoW though. FFXIV players should stick to FFXIV. Blindly copying what other games have is a retarded way of doing things.
    Just because something works in a different game doesn't mean it'll work with this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Case in point: utterly clueless.
    Good, your revulsion at the thought of losing a zone, let alone two, shows exactly how much you're willing to sacrifice for housing.

You are asking the WoW design team to tack on a new, smaller game and integrate it into the existing structure. The creation of new zones has a tried and tested existing production pipeline. For housing to work it needs a UI design on top of the house construction. That's entirely new gameplay that has to be designed from scratch.

Saying that other content will suffer is nothing but a bullshit excuse from Blizzard. They cut content CONSTANTLY regardless, just look at WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruschpak View Post
    I'm on the fence about housing (It would be a fun activity for casual play, but i don't have confidence Blizz will do it in an entertaining manner), but what exactly is the added value of busy cities?

It looks crowded, using AH is a pain, mailboxes are hard to reach due to huge mounts, yay?

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Yeah sure, but I was referring to the people wanting housing in wow - those are a overwhelming minority.

I'm sure the housing in FFXIV is popular. I find it awful, personally, and judging from the house lot drama the system seems quite flawed.
    Yeah...they're an overwhelming minority which is why both these forums and the official forums constantly have threads talking about wanting it. Also, there's a good handful of RP servers that have wanted player housing for years.