Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Easy Transmog/Customization Win: Unused Models and Recolors

There are a TON of unused models currently in the game files. A ton. While poking through the files in WoW Model Viewer, I've seen a lot of things that made me go "wtf I want that??" or "how the hell did we never get this?"

I finally dumped a BUNCH of those types of models into an imgur album: https://imgur.com/gallery/LivMSZj

These are all from the BC era, with a huge chunk being Sunwell and Black Temple weapon recolors, or completely unused models. It's a long scroll, but I definitely encourage clicking through and checking them out. Here's a couple I personally wanted to highlight-
    • This really cool sword, totally unused model:
    • Unused bow that matches Hunter T5:
    • Unused dagger that matches Rogue T5:
    • Recolor of a shield from Hyjal, Antonidas' Aegis of Rapt Concentration:

And imo, best of all, "High Elf" themed recolors of Sunwell items.
    • Golden Bow of Quel'Thalas recolor:
    • Book of Highborne Hymns recolor:
    • Golden Staff of the Sin'dorei recolor:

Best/worst part?
    This is a tiny, tiny fraction of what currently exists in the files and is not used. This isn't even comprehensive for just the BC era, only things I personally thought were really cool, and I didn't even scrape the surface of armor sets. All of these items exist in the files alongside regular models and are simply not implemented. From the limited capacity I understand of the dev process, it seems like the vast majority of work on all of these has already been done, so why not throw them in somewhere? Expanding Trial of Style rewards would likely be the easiest solution since none of that needs to "make sense."

For maximum visibility, I also posted this over on the NA forums.

there's a ridiculous amount of unused models and textures, some of which have been there for well over a decade. you'd think that if nothing else they'd make them cosmetic items that could appear on BMAH, world drops, timewalking vendors or trial of style rewards

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    there's a ridiculous amount of unused models and textures, some of which have been there for well over a decade. you'd think that if nothing else they'd make them cosmetic items that could appear on BMAH, world drops, timewalking vendors or trial of style rewards
    Yeah exactly. I feel like every time I go looking for a specific weapon or something, I stumble upon something I've never seen in game. This time I focused specifically on BC era, but there's a bunch of titan/Ulduar style things that are unused too, and that's just what I personally know of. And just weapons! Honestly one of the best things about BfA was we finally got some of the recolors of tier sets and other items through Island Expeditions, but I'm so disappointed that they didn't keep expanding that or add it in elsewhere like you said. There's a lot of different areas they can throw these items into.

We're never going to get anything like a dye system, so why not give us as many color variations as possible that already exist?

Trial of Style might be a bit too niche to give so many customizations too is my only thought, and with how little it happens in a year? Perhaps another source would be better.

I was actually unaware of how drastic it was in this regard. I knew of some unused mount models but this does seem a bit...well, over the top. I would say maybe they're saving them for a rainy day kinda situation, but with some of the models being pretty outdated at this point too, I don't think it's quite possible that they'd be able to use them as anything but a reward like island expeditions.

Actually they could easily throw it in Torghast if they really wanted to, with the excuse of something like "rescuing a soul from that timeframe of WoW" having a chance to give you a new transmog from that era.

Granted...I don't think I would enjoy that much Torghast grinding for transmogs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Trial of Style might be a bit too niche to give so many customizations too is my only thought, and with how little it happens in a year? Perhaps another source would be better.
    Yeah, we'd definitely need it to happen either slightly more often or only have a few thrown in there and others elsewhere. Torghast is an interesting idea, but I think we've already spent plenty of time there lol.

And yeah, this post is a small drop in the bucket of unused items. While clicking around through axe models, I saw this one too which is WAY too cool to be unused. This is only one of the four colors it has in the files, too!

Editing to add that I posted the other colors on my Twitter since uploading there is easier. https://twitter.com/Schrei205/status...89477695049728 IT'S SO GODDAMN COOL AND I FOUND ANOTHER ORC THEMED AXE AND I WANT THEM ALL

You know what really bothers me with these type of posts? that at some point blizz will add those ingame and be obtainable through BMAH :/ it scares me

7+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, the BMAH is definitely not the place to add this kind of thing... and meanwhile, it's been how many years since the last Trial of Style season? But non-ToS sources are definitely a way to go too.

One idea I think is really missing is craftable cosmetics - why has there never been a case that say, you get exalted with Silvermoon (or are a blood elf), and therefore the Silvermoon blacksmithing trainers teach you how to make some sin'dorei weapons and traditional armor? Go do a questline at exalted with some tauren on your leatherworker and learn to make some traditional tauren armour - it may not be end-game stats, but it's a solid cosmetic set (it can have stats, as long as it's learnable as transmog) that players can want to learn anyway. This kind of thing could be added to any expansion's crafting where it's thematically appropriate, and any faction we can get rep with, so it's a pretty deep goldmine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSoulLegion View Post
    Agreed, the BMAH is definitely not the place to add this kind of thing... and meanwhile, it's been how many years since the last Trial of Style season? But non-ToS sources are definitely a way to go too.

One idea I think is really missing is craftable cosmetics - why has there never been a case that say, you get exalted with Silvermoon (or are a blood elf), and therefore the Silvermoon blacksmithing trainers teach you how to make some sin'dorei weapons and traditional armor? Go do a questline at exalted with some tauren on your leatherworker and learn to make some traditional tauren armour - it may not be end-game stats, but it's a solid cosmetic set (it can have stats, as long as it's learnable as transmog) that players can want to learn anyway. This kind of thing could be added to any expansion's crafting where it's thematically appropriate, and any faction we can get rep with, so it's a pretty deep goldmine.
    Just FYI Trial of Style happens 2x a year.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    You know what really bothers me with these type of posts? that at some point blizz will add those ingame and be obtainable through BMAH :/ it scares me
    Why does that bother you?

- - - Updated - - -

How about they let us use some of the holiday tmogs year-round?

Namely the noble garden stuff. That stuff would work year-round, there's no reason to restrict it. Gimme those sweet Black Tuxedo Pants.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    Just FYI Trial of Style happens 2x a year.
    I'm aware that Trial of Style happens twice per year, but that's not what I said - I said how long since the last season.

The first Trial of Style, season 1, was August 2017, in patch 7.2.5 and had one set per armour type as well as the fashionable undershirt for winners.
    The following Trial of Style (February 2018, patch 7.3.5) was season 2, adding another set per armour type.
    The third Trial of Style (August 2018, patch 8.0.1) was season 3 - it didn't add any new sets, but added the "Letter from an Admirer" item that lets you have fans cheering you on during the ToS.
    The fourth Trial of Style (February 2019, patch 8.1.5) was season 4, again adding a new set for each armour type.
    Since then, there have been (including the current one) FIVE more Trials of Style, meaning that we should just have passed season 9 - yet it's hard to say if they are actually counting the seasons anymore since there have been no changes or additions in the last two and a half years - by the next Trial it'll have been twice as long without an update than the entire period the event was given any support.

Yeah that is one of the things that bother me the most....

The most amazing sets ingame have good looking other tints for example.... never used never seen. Lightforged heritage set has a few different tints... like every heritage sets.

Put them into very timeconsuming achivments. Bam. 10 % of players at least have something to do for a few month. Make it solo to calm those players who claim to be causals. But no. They will never use it again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSoulLegion View Post
    I'm aware that Trial of Style happens twice per year, but that's not what I said - I said how long since the last season.

The first Trial of Style, season 1, was August 2017, in patch 7.2.5 and had one set per armour type as well as the fashionable undershirt for winners.
    The following Trial of Style (February 2018, patch 7.3.5) was season 2, adding another set per armour type.
    The third Trial of Style (August 2018, patch 8.0.1) was season 3 - it didn't add any new sets, but added the "Letter from an Admirer" item that lets you have fans cheering you on during the ToS.
    The fourth Trial of Style (February 2019, patch 8.1.5) was season 4, again adding a new set for each armour type.
    Since then, there have been (including the current one) FIVE more Trials of Style, meaning that we should just have passed season 9 - yet it's hard to say if they are actually counting the seasons anymore since there have been no changes or additions in the last two and a half years - by the next Trial it'll have been twice as long without an update than the entire period the event was given any support.
    Ah, I didn't understand you then- never heard of them referred to as seasons. My bad.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    Ah, I didn't understand you then- never heard of them referred to as seasons. My bad.
    No worries, I think the only place they're refered to as seasons is on the Transmogrifier vendors, which list "Trial of Style Season X" (1-4) on each of the items you can buy with Trial of Style tokens. So that, combined with the fact that the first four did add new things, kind of sets up some expectations from Blizzard's side that they haven't honored since, nor ever communicated about.

Maybe I misunderstand something, but I honestly think that what people label as "unused transmog models from game files" are just models of items that some npcs wear, which were never planned to be used as player owned cosmetics.

But yeah, if it's in the same format as other transmogs in game files it could be somehow added, and maybe it will. Remember island expeditions? That added lots of transmog recolors of old sets.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Maybe I misunderstand something, but I honestly think that what people label as "unused transmog models from game files" are just models of items that some npcs wear, which were never planned to be used as player owned cosmetics.

But yeah, if it's in the same format as other transmogs in game files it could be somehow added, and maybe it will. Remember island expeditions? That added lots of transmog recolors of old sets.
    The majority of these items I've highlighted sit in the files alongside items that were implemented, or are just unused recolors of items we do have. Someone on Twitter replied and told me that a lot of these items have actually been used on private servers, so clearly they're done and ready just gotta get attached to a usable item.

I recently put together all the unused "cotstrat" labeled items into one picture, so here's that. There were a few that people let me know we got 1 version of it, namely one dagger and the 1h sword, but the shield is just really goddamn cool too.

Always wanted the unused colors of Black Ice from The Eye of Eternity.

There's probably mountains of items that could be added. Why they aren't is anyone's guess.

I feel irked anytime I see the NPC that's clearly got shoulders made for the Gossamer (green quality set) set, which we never got. We got gloves, belt, hat, chest, pants, but the shoulders? The shoulders given as "Gossamer" set shoulders are an entirely different texture and coloring, doesn't match for shit.

Overall I think you're onto something here, they could get easy wins by adding these items in as craftable by players, part of soloing dungeons, achievement rewards etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post

Always wanted the unused colors of Black Ice from The Eye of Eternity.

There's probably mountains of items that could be added. Why they aren't is anyone's guess.
    All of those colours are great.
    I'm kinda sad we never got a full Nexus style raid but at least many of the items were used as drops in other instances.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm absolutely malding here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Found this one a couple weeks back.. cat staff.

Cat. Staff.

https://twitter.com/Schrei205/status...17317882085380

It's in the files alongside Journey's End and Origin of Nightmares which were both implemented in Naxx. Really cool druidy look staves, but we didn't get the cat one. ;_;