Poll: Will you upgrade to Windows 11?

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    According to ASRock my motherboard has the TPM and secure boot requirements but on running that tool it says my computer is incompatible despite me enabling everything in the BIOS.

However, there's a new beta version of BIOS firmware on their website so I'm gonna wait before I risk turning my motherboard into a brick for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Your failure to click two dialogue boxes and prevent it aren’t Microsoft’s fault.

You can disable Windows from EVER updating with a simple registry edit and/or policy.

But, hey, cool story bro.
    Are you have a reading comprehension issue? and you should check that attitude.

Windows 8.1 is still supported to this day. This was my previous OS which makes the "disable windows update by messing with the registry" a pretty stupid idea. I am certainly not sorry that I have windows 10 but I deferred the upgrade every single time. What part of this do you not understand exactly? One day I power up my machine and it had installed windows 10 anyway without any consent. The fact that you have a couple of people telling you this happened should clue you in that you don't know as much as you think you do. I mean really, you think one day I accidentally clicked yes instead of no?

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/06...ut-asking-you/

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...complain-users

Well shit mate. "cool story bro"
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I guess a bug can happen, but it was pretty easy to downgrade windows after the 10 installation, you could have done that if you wanted to stay on 8.1.

Beside, windows 8.1 is NOT supported to this day. From an FAQ on the microsoft website : "Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023." Extended support means only critical security updates, there is a lot of downside to use windows 8.1 today.

Tbh I have trouble understanding why people don't want to update windows, when the update is free... Once the new version is known stable offcourse, which seems the case for 11 right now, what is the downside? Im pretty sure there is no lost features, the design can always be modified to be almost identical to before... I can see some very specific software needing an old version, but that not something that everybody encounter. So, what the point? Do people also refuse to do basic security updates, features update, or even drivers updates for some reasons?
    Last edited by Thorcall; 2021-08-23 at 02:38 AM.

can you change that look? cuz that looks like a tablet

I was planning on it, but apparently my I7 - 5820K CPU is not compatible nor is my X-99 Deluxe Motherboard. Honestly, really surprised and fairly disappointed. I'm certain my computer could run the OS fine, but apparently my specs lack some kind of security chip and boot option that newer parts have.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I'll upgrade when windows 10 gets RIP'd - or if W11 is really stable and secure - but the Windows 8 ALPHA is literally what made me make the move to the job I have today lol

For anyone in tech support, if you supported windows users when windows 8 released - you'll know exactly what I mean. Anyway - I hope W11 is super good though because I don't mind moving over to it IF its good.

- - - Updated - - -

This right here Officer! the anti vaxxers ARE HERE (I know we are kidding btw, one love!)
    Game recognizes game granddad. And you lookin mighty familiar right now.

I also love that it lined up on comment 69 hahaha
    Last edited by Nachtigal; 2021-08-23 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorcall View Post
    Tbh I have trouble understanding why people don't want to update windows, when the update is free... Once the new version is known stable offcourse, which seems the case for 11 right now, what is the downside? Im pretty sure there is no lost features, the design can always be modified to be almost identical to before... I can see some very specific software needing an old version, but that not something that everybody encounter. So, what the point? Do people also refuse to do basic security updates, features update, or even drivers updates for some reasons?
    There is only one, but serious reason not to be in a hurry upgrading anything microsoft-related. Microsoft is very well known for its coders coding with their feets instead of hands. In other words, BUGS BUGS BUGS. Why would you change a stable, working system into a randomly failing one? And for what reason, to get a less, but still ugly and unpractical UI? Just fucking look at that idiotic RECOMMENDED section in start menu, which you can't turn off, and which takes 50% of your screen because lol-kek-trololo! Yes of course, you can download third party software and/or avoid using start menu completely, but this thing alone shows all you need to know about m$'s competency in developing good UIs.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I don't get pestered for that and I have a local account as well.
    couple times a year (guess when they do big updates) i get a full screen "setting up your pc" thing that asks to make an account. think the only option you have to skip that is to click "remind me in a few days" which thank god it doesn't actually do.

think they used to pester you about the privacy settings on that screen too early on.

but yeah. win7 was best. no junk in start menu and the search boxes just worked.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-08-23 at 12:19 PM.

Of course i will, gonna be so fun.

Alder Lake + Windows 11 + BF2042 at the same month, omg the BSODs, i cant wait for the hours i have to spend troubleshooting.

In reality, if they release end of October as expected averagely, i am gonna wait 1 month for the passive BIOS/RAM/ Intel ME fixes and upgrade around then all together, so averagely December 2021 for all.

Already running Windows 11. I love every bit of it. #PraiseMicrosoft #HailWindows11

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    There is only one, but serious reason not to be in a hurry upgrading anything microsoft-related. Microsoft is very well known for its coders coding with their feets instead of hands. In other words, BUGS BUGS BUGS. Why would you change a stable, working system into a randomly failing one? And for what reason, to get a less, but still ugly and unpractical UI? Just fucking look at that idiotic RECOMMENDED section in start menu, which you can't turn off, and which takes 50% of your screen because lol-kek-trololo! Yes of course, you can download third party software and/or avoid using start menu completely, but this thing alone shows all you need to know about m$'s competency in developing good UIs.
    Well, you can disable it, its like 4 clics. You can get an almost indentical windows 10 theme by changing 2 or 3 options... Without any third party tool. Also it has been in public beta for month now, it should be easy to know if it is that buggy, doesn't seems like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    but yeah. win7 was best. no junk in start menu and the search boxes just worked.
    Oh god, yeah, the win10 search box is fucking atrocious.

Maybe in a couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Unless it has a sizeable performance upgrade in gaming (due to a newer iteration of DX12 Ult), i dont really see myself running to upgrade.

I won't be a first waver. Probably once the first patch or two hit (depending on how fast they fly out) I will consider it once it is more wide spread and more "nonshillish" reviews hit.

I will upgrade as soon as it isn't a "beta" anymore. Means after a few months (maybe a year) of hotfixing and stuff.

Already upgraded it to both of my machines, works great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even sure why it exists?

Feels like they are trying to control how i use the OS too much (very mac/apple6 like).

I wont be getting it for a while, I cant remember a time where a Windows launch didn't break something

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Once Windows 10 loses support, sure. Unless there's a better version available by then.