Poll: Will you upgrade to Windows 11?

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Once you get used to 10, I think it's nice and you can customize it more than people seem to know.
    I've even setup things like registry hacks for system wide fonts and for removing unused folders like the 3D one.
    So yea I'll get it once it comes out and I figure out the secure boot.
    I can't believe that in 2021 you still can't change the desktop font family and have to resort to a kludgy registry hack. Same for keyboard layout in that Microsoft won't recognize Colemak. It's only the 3rd most popular English keyboard layout in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    the windows 11 home version requires an internet connection and some other stupid things. I'm not paying for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    10 is some badly optimized trash, i hope 11 will be better
    11 IS 10, just a re-skin :-D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    11 IS 10, just a re-skin :-D
    and 10 is just 8 but a reskin
    and 8 is just 7 but a reskin

So why didn't people like 8 again?

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    and 10 is just 8 but a reskin
    and 8 is just 7 but a reskin

So why didn't people like 8 again?
    8 clearly wasnt a reskin of 7 or 10 bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    8 clearly wasnt a reskin of 7 or 10 bro.
    But it was. The skin changed, but the underlying stuff was all the same. Win 8 couldn't do anything different than 7 or 10, it just looked different

Maybe in few years once the beta test period is over.

But it was. The skin changed, but the underlying stuff was all the same. Win 8 couldn't do anything different than 7 or 10, it just looked different
    Yeah and people didnt like the design, other than that it was fine.
    Last edited by kodemonkee; 2021-08-25 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You mean like Win11?
    If Win11 crashes and burns (like the usual pattern would suggest) we can jump from 10 directly to 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Maybe in few years once the beta test period is over.
    At least the upgrade is free so it isn't a paid beta test like every live service game nowdays.

While I'll prob run in on one of my computers (other than the insider one I already have it on now) I'm not really impressed with it, (personal taste but I think the interface is kinda "awkward" not sure the best term but it's best one i can think of (first person at work I showed it too said it reminded him of his old mac, and he's more a mac user than a PC user), even worst customization and less settings than 10 had, the Default apps section is junk ( it's ok to be able to pick each file type but moronic to not have a select all, while the browser one gets the most attention it's the media ones that piss me off). The security requirements I think are BS (it's fine to require it on all new 11 certified computers but it should not be forced on older ones, I've played with it on a old i5 2nd Gen and it ran ok, IMO if they really cared about security they would want more people running it even without the TPM for updated patches) Personally I think this might be another Windows 8.0 debacle but who knows.
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2021-08-25 at 02:02 PM. Reason: half asleep when I typed it.

It looks horrible. It looks like MacOS and I HATE MacOS. It also looks like it was designed primarily for phones instead of PCs, I don't know why.
    Upgrading from Win10 to Win11 will probably be similar to upgrading from Win7 to Win8 back in the day. It looks vastly inferior to Win10 just like how Win8 was vastly inferior to Win7.
    Even though my hardware can easily handle it, I am not upgrading it unless I can atleast retain the Win10 look, I really hate the MacOS look in the OP's picture.
    Last edited by Bloomer; 2021-08-25 at 11:53 AM.

windows 11 born dead when decide to force hardware requirements to run it. No i wont upgrade while i can still use windows 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and people didnt like the design, other than that it was fine.
    ... So you're agreeing that it was a reskin then. A horrible reskin is still just a reskin

... So you're agreeing that it was a reskin then. A horrible reskin is still just a reskin
    It wasnt, however, "just a reskin".

There were substantial kernel and underlying system changes from 7 to 8.

There were not, for instance, from Vista > 7. 7 was just a visual and name upgrade from Vista to get rid of the baggage assosciated with the Vista name. (Just as there were large kernel/system changes from XP > Vista).

These underlying system changes caused lots of the bugs, performance issues, security holes, etc. that plagued Vista and Windows 8... that did NOT plague the launches of Windows 7 (Vista Rename/refresh) and Windows 10 (which was just a name/UI update over Windows 8's core changes).

Thats why i cant fathom the number of people in this thread that are "well ill wait a few years when Win 11 is not buggy" because...

Unlike the transition between XP > Vista, and 7 > 8, there ARENT large kernel or core systems changes (other than advancements to DX, etc) - just surface level UI and UX changes, from Win 10 to Win 11. As early as just a few months ago, the build currently referred to as Windows 11 was literally just a feature update to Windows 10.

If you're worried about bugs, and updating to Windows 11 - if you're already using WIndows 10, you're already exposed to 99% of those bugs and vulnerabilities.

There's a meme im trying to track down to post that was itself about religion (Christians lamenting that we will "never know" what the original bible said, and a Jewish Hebrew scholar being like "no really, we can read it" and going back and forth with "i guess well never know".)

The reason i bring it up is not because i care about religions but because the back and forth reminds me of this thread.

Luddites: "I guess ill wait a few years to see if its stable".

People Actually Paying attention: "Its just a reskin of Windows 10. If Win 10 is stable, this is stable."

Luddites: "Man, im not upgrading because itll be full of bugs and not stable"

People Actually Using Windows 11 Right This Minute: It's literally just a reskin of Win 10, and its just as stable as Win 10. Im using it right now. Its fine"

Luddites: "Man, This new Windows 11 thing is just a money grab to steal your files and encrypt your life"

People Actually Using Win 11 Right Now/Paying Attention: "It doesn't do any of that. You can literally see for yourself. And its a free upgrade if your computer can run it".

Luddites: "Well we'll just have to wait a year or two and see if its stable and gets the bugs worked out"

People Actually Paying Attention: "But we already know"

Luddites: "Well i guess we will just never know until its finally working".

The number of people just not even trying to read the thread and understand that its just Windows 10 with a different name and a refreshed UI (that was going to originally slated to come to "Win 10" anyway, name change or not) before posting their sincere belief that its a massive change and will ruin everything is fucking staggering
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-08-25 at 10:18 PM.

I'll upgrade to 11 if and when I need to. IE: Actual support for the hardware I'm using. Don't most people do that?

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    I'll upgrade to 11 if and when I need to. IE: Actual support for the hardware I'm using. Don't most people do that?
    The "my computer wont run it because of their hardware requirement line in the sand" crowd is the only group that is making any sense, so that i get.

I've dabbled with Linux on & off over the past 9 years, but I've never considered it a real contender for my main OS at any point - Until now. I'll likely not swap OS until I swap hardware (I swapped to Windows 10 in Jan 2018 because I bought a larger SSD), & when that time comes, it'll be between 11 & Linux.

played with it for a week but started to miss the windows 10 start menu/context menu so went back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrja View Post
    played with it for a week but started to miss the windows 10 start menu/context menu so went back.
    Other than the content in the Start Menu being presented as top/bottom instead of two columns... how is it any different? Serious question, what feature was there before that isnt there now?

And AFAICT, the context menu seems the same, ish. You just have to h it the "show more options" thing at the bottom to get the old one back, which, i admit, is sorta dumb but maybe therell be an option to turn it back or a flag you can edit.