What's the monk like as a DPS these days

Title says it all.

I've got a monk set up to play in legion later on in chromie time. but i'm still undecided on whether to stick with it.

the whole thing about building up chi to use the powerful attacks threw me off balance when i tried a monk in the trial edition a few years ago (pre-bfa i think) it reminded me a bit too much of the rogue at the time.

So with that in mind is the monk any good? and is it a hard class to play?

i took the brewmaster for a spin in the wandering isle way back when and keg smash was funny as hell. but for me dps is where it's at.

7+ Year Old Account
    im doing fairly well as dps and tank its fun specs and have an alright skill ceiling i can definitely recommend playing them, pandaren of course cause they the best :3
    for leveling and world quests i would say go dps the stats are fairly close for both specs but if you wanna do a large boss solo for like an elite kill quest i would say go tank for that its easier
    Last edited by Julmara; 2021-08-25 at 12:21 AM.

Monks are great. They're one of the best melee classes right now, in both M+ and raid (no clue about PvP, sorry). It could even be argued they're the best right now, overall; though that's close, subjective, and ultimately not super useful to discuss

Monks are fairly straightforward to play, but do require you to pay a bit more attention to the rotation than some other melee. They're not as Rogue-y as they perhaps used to be, but that's in part because Rogue plays a little more differently, too. Chi is still basically just combo points, but that's true for many classes if you break it down like that.

I wouldn't say it is hard class to play, there is some variance in skill required depending of your covenant choice. Some say kyrian covenant skill is a bit harder to play perfectly and at least really punishing if you don't have the chance to finish the burst window because of some mechanic or mess it up.

Monks are in a pretty good place at the moment if you are looking logs from mythic raids, however the good spot in logs are mainly coming from few AoE heavy add phases where we really shine. Looking HC logs monks are near bottom log wise because those add phases either don't exist (painsmith) or adds die too quickly. What this means in general is that in single target we are lacking.

Currently we saw a shift of covenant with 9.1 where a lot of monks are changing to necrolord. Sims show necro being behind kyrian, but necrolord covenant ability is easier to use and gives you more burst windows, which can be better in m+ at least.

Monks are in really good spot when we are looking AoE situations and in ST we are behind, but currently we are desired m+ spec and manage fine in raids and are also great in PvP.

In SL we are not locked to take Hit Combo outside of pure ST that I at least find great. Dance of Chi'Ji feels great and the spec plays pretty fluid in most scenarios. Playing monk you should remember that you need to play by the mastery in most cases, meaning you need to always remember to not press the same skill twice and you are required to switch targets quite often to keep up your crane marks in AoE. There is situations where you want to pool resources especially concerning CD windows but otherwise you don't exactly need to build resources but follow a priority system where chi comes and goes pretty smoothly.
    If target switching and mastery are not deal breakers for you then I guess go ahead if you like mobile melee. A general + is also that monks use mainly one legendary Invokers Delight for almost any scenario so you don't have to craft many legendary items. The core mechanics are still the same so if you don't like that then nothing has changed though.

Thx 4 the info.

I have an orc monk lined up to run draenor content b4 i do legion on my pandaren monk.

I was just trying 2 sort things out for my plans for shadowlands professions and old content professions and wanted 2 make sure i had all the bases covered

If i go forward with the monk he'll b my leatherworker for the alliance.

If not. It'll b my night elf demon hunter

Quote Originally Posted by knightblazer85 View Post
    Thx 4 the info.

I have an orc monk lined up to run draenor content b4 i do legion on my pandaren monk.

I was just trying 2 sort things out for my plans for shadowlands professions and old content professions and wanted 2 make sure i had all the bases covered

If i go forward with the monk he'll b my leatherworker for the alliance.

If not. It'll b my night elf demon hunter
    I know I'm going to get flamed hard for this but.....

.....consider Mechagnome for your ally monk.

Its racials are actually pretty great for WW and BrM.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I know I'm going to get flamed hard for this but.....

.....consider Mechagnome for your ally monk.

Its racials are actually pretty great for WW and BrM.
    Mechagnome?

Blegh

I cant wrap my head around playing as the short races

Mechagnome?

Blegh

I cant wrap my head around playing as the short races

My favorite races have always been Tauren and troll, so I totally understand. But I tried mechagnome for shits and giggles and was actually pleasantly surprised.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    My favorite races have always been Tauren and troll, so I totally understand. But I tried mechagnome for shits and giggles and was actually pleasantly surprised.
    it's not so much the races. i just cant wrap my head around playing as shorter races. the camera angles throw me off when i'm trying to talk to taller npcs

in regards to races i use. i've got:

blood elf: demon hunter
    forsaken: death knight
    orc: warrior, monk and shaman
    tauren: paladin
    troll: death knight
    mag'har: warrior and shaman
    zandalari: paladin
    pandaren: shaman
    highmountain: hunter (will rc to worgen at 50 after i get the spectral raptors in orgrimar)

draenei: death knight
    lightforged: paladin
    dwarf: shaman
    darkiron: paladin (planning to rc to a human at 50)
    pandaren: warrior, shaman, death knight and monk
    worgen: death knight, warrior (might not do anything with this. still deciding)
    night elf: demon hunter
    void elf: hunter (will rc to orc/mag'har at 50 after i get 2 spectral gryphons in stormwind)

the one and ONLY thing i want from blizzard right bow is a new alliance allied race that can be a paladin.

i wouldnt even care if it was those lightbound forsaken that i heard somebody talking about pre-bfa. i just want a normal looking alliance paladin that isnt as boring as the humans

it's not so much the races. i just cant wrap my head around playing as shorter races. the camera angles throw me off when i'm trying to talk to taller npcs

in regards to races i use. i've got:

blood elf: demon hunter
    forsaken: death knight
    orc: warrior, monk and shaman
    tauren: paladin
    troll: death knight
    mag'har: warrior and shaman
    zandalari: paladin
    pandaren: shaman
    highmountain: hunter (will rc to worgen at 50 after i get the spectral raptors in orgrimar)

draenei: death knight
    lightforged: paladin
    dwarf: shaman
    darkiron: paladin (planning to rc to a human at 50)
    pandaren: warrior, shaman, death knight and monk
    worgen: death knight, warrior (might not do anything with this. still deciding)
    night elf: demon hunter
    void elf: hunter (will rc to orc/mag'har at 50 after i get 2 spectral gryphons in stormwind)

the one and ONLY thing i want from blizzard right bow is a new alliance allied race that can be a paladin.

i wouldnt even care if it was those lightbound forsaken that i heard somebody talking about pre-bfa. i just want a normal looking alliance paladin that isnt as boring as the humans
    The thing I like most about the short classes, is they feel like they're hauling ass when they run.

Obscenely strong when soloing with the 100% crit legendary, seems solid in dungeons and raids, but I mostly queue as tank since it's faster and they also make damn good tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Solid. You do trade busted aoe and cleave for underwhelmingly anemic single target however. For example, WW is the highest dps in the game on soulrender, but dead last on guardian.

If monk calls to you, it’s a worthwhile investment. It’s got a strong albeit overly focused damage profile, but you do have good utility and are more than worth a raid spot.

(You’ll also never not top dps in m+ if you’re geared and play the spec well enough lol).

Signed, an average WW mythic raider currently 4/10
    Last edited by someguy233; 2021-08-25 at 11:42 PM.

For race, pick whatever you enjoy most. The performance aspect is just not going to matter unless you play at a really, really high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    For race, pick whatever you enjoy most. The performance aspect is just not going to matter unless you play at a really, really high level.
    exactly. there are races i like and races i dont for 1 reason or another. but for the sake of potential heritage armors for races at some point i tolerated playing as the races and leveled them up to use in comp stomp.

and my work paid dividends when i walked away with about 200 marks of honor after the last comp stomp.

now i'm free to focus on doing lore runs in old content with chromie time for my REAL characters.

Title says it all.

I've got a monk set up to play in legion later on in chromie time. but i'm still undecided on whether to stick with it.

the whole thing about building up chi to use the powerful attacks threw me off balance when i tried a monk in the trial edition a few years ago (pre-bfa i think) it reminded me a bit too much of the rogue at the time.

So with that in mind is the monk any good? and is it a hard class to play?

i took the brewmaster for a spin in the wandering isle way back when and keg smash was funny as hell. but for me dps is where it's at.
    Heres how WW will be from now until kingdom come apparently:

Op in the first raid tier then slowly decrease with each raid until we're bottom of the list. Our AOE is great, single target sucks. We have a small amount of utility, and its nothing another class cant do better. We constantly have bugs that pop up, anything that increases our damage gets fixed in a week. Bugs that dont, stick around for a while.

Our movement abilities are great, but unless a boss is made that requires movement like that, such as G'huun, then we're no better than any other class in that regard.

However, the rotation is fun as hell. World content is very easy to get through with our movement. The skill cap for WW is moderate. Takes practice to learn to plan your abilities out ahead of time so youre not wasting Chi or .
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

It's fine. Would be 10x better if they made FotWT more like SotWL and got rid of expel harm from the rotation.