Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I would like this game to have a lot of quality of life improvement, but then it turns into a new game. Imo i just want a diablo 4 that doesent suck and incorporate back trading without real money auction house, just let us fucking do the fuck we want with our items duh.

Otherwise i agree the immunity system is just trash. Half the class needs to farm infinity first thing and run away from half the game on hell before that. Some talent tree just suck ass, but its too late to fix em now. Way more bag and inventory space. At this point these games just need near infinite storage like monster hunter or dark souls. Its a loot game, just let us loot. Remove annoyance in the system, let the gameplay be the challenging part. I still love this game, but a lot of its system didnt age too well and is mostly just annoyances.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Do those games hold your item's data in fast short-term memory though? For a game like Diablo it would lower performance(especially online) if they just tripled everyone's total storage space. They can incrementally add more as computers/servers get better though. For example they probably have room right now to give you extra stash spaces if you complete a season or something like that but they can't just hand them out like candy unless they want to change the way the stash works and make it slower.
    d2 most likely doesn't store that data much different than D3, the lower inventory space and what not is a design decision, not a limitation.

You shouldn't need to TP to sell anything in-between runs unless you get lucky with a ton of wands and jewelry.

The D3 storage system is similar to D2R so I'm not sure why you think there is a significant distinction.
    A few spears or big axes and you're full. At least on D3 items are just flagged as "units / 1"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    A few spears or big axes and you're full. At least on D3 items are just flagged as "units / 1"
    lol if you keep grabbing those gigantic items and not the valuable small items then you'll barely get to play D2 and kill monsters. Skip'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    d2 most likely doesn't store that data much different than D3, the lower inventory space and what not is a design decision, not a limitation.
    Yes they like the design because it makes people think of trade-offs and what is important, but part of that is also because historically they had to be economical if they wanted to guarantee the game would perform smoothly.

Also the fact that they increased storage by around 600% from D2 to D2R shows that they didn't care much about the original design for that issue. And it's not like there's some magical cut off where 6x more space is good design but 4x or 8x is a bad design.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-10-01 at 01:49 AM.

let us use the Controller UI on keyboard/mouse, cause dear lord, being able to see all your skills at once is so good.

lol if you keep grabbing those gigantic items and not the valuable small items then you'll barely get to play D2 and kill monsters. Skip'em.

Yes they like the design because it makes people think of trade-offs and what is important, but part of that is also because historically they had to be economical if they wanted to guarantee the game would perform smoothly.

Also the fact that they increased storage by around 600% from D2 to D2R shows that they didn't care much about the original design for that issue. And it's not like there's some magical cut off where 6x more space is good design but 4x or 8x is a bad design.
    Back in the day, sure, but they could easily do more now, it was a design decision to expand it as far as they did and no more. I'm not saying it's good design or bad design, it's just... design.

Back in the day, sure, but they could easily do more now, it was a design decision to expand it as far as they did and no more. I'm not saying it's good design or bad design, it's just... design.
    Inventory is a design choice, storage could be a technical choice. I mean, this was 2003. And I don't mean that they couldn't make the storage bigger, I'm thinking more in line with maybe somewhere there was a technical length limitation. Length or size of strings, integers, saves, etc. It's not a unique problem, seeing how Cyberpunk only recently had a similar problem in 2021.

I would have loved more storage space, but I'm absolutely against more inventory change, because that's game design. I can only stack so many charms to a point where it starts impeding my ability to carry extra potions, or my ability to loot items. It's a point I am at right now, actually. I have so many resistance, life charms, that the amount of potions I can carry is limited (though at this level also not as necessary) and I only have my cube and 2 columns cleared to loot items.

So the only things I'm picking up are jewelry (ring, amu, jewels) charms, uniques, sets and socketed items. And of course some rares for some specific types of items. Either way, I'm not picking up everything that drops, just so I can sell it. Yes, I'm having to portal quite often regardless. And I know that when I gear further, my reliance on single-res charms will reduce and charms wil be removed from my inventory, which will create space to carry more gear.

It's pure gameplay. Limitless inventory may seem like a good idea, but making choices is part of an rpg, even if it's an arpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Inventory is a design choice, storage could be a technical choice. I mean, this was 2003. And I don't mean that they couldn't make the storage bigger, I'm thinking more in line with maybe somewhere there was a technical length limitation. Length or size of strings, integers, saves, etc. It's not a unique problem, seeing how Cyberpunk only recently had a similar problem in 2021.

I would have loved more storage space, but I'm absolutely against more inventory change, because that's game design. I can only stack so many charms to a point where it starts impeding my ability to carry extra potions, or my ability to loot items. It's a point I am at right now, actually. I have so many resistance, life charms, that the amount of potions I can carry is limited (though at this level also not as necessary) and I only have my cube and 2 columns cleared to loot items.

So the only things I'm picking up are jewelry (ring, amu, jewels) charms, uniques, sets and socketed items. And of course some rares for some specific types of items. Either way, I'm not picking up everything that drops, just so I can sell it. Yes, I'm having to portal quite often regardless. And I know that when I gear further, my reliance on single-res charms will reduce and charms wil be removed from my inventory, which will create space to carry more gear.

It's pure gameplay. Limitless inventory may seem like a good idea, but making choices is part of an rpg, even if it's an arpg.
    I'm not talking about 2003, I'm talking about now lol, they chose to stop at 3 shared tabs of that size, there's probably no reason they couldn't have made more beyond design.

As for inventory, eh, a charm inventory would have been nice. Way it works is charms ONLY work in the charm inventory so you're not able to carry extra, you're just not stuck with a hellfire torch, an anni, 9 grand charms and 10 small charms taking up all your space.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not talking about 2003, I'm talking about now lol, they chose to stop at 3 shared tabs of that size, there's probably no reason they couldn't have made more beyond design.

As for inventory, eh, a charm inventory would have been nice. Way it works is charms ONLY work in the charm inventory so you're not able to carry extra, you're just not stuck with a hellfire torch, an anni, 9 grand charms and 10 small charms taking up all your space.
    Can you still get hellfire torches in D2R? Thought they only dropped from the "uber" bosses (which I thought were part of an event) I basically jsut beat the game on normal and stopped playing before, so learning all this stuff for the first time this go around and boy do all of the gear lists reference these items. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Can you still get hellfire torches in D2R? Thought they only dropped from the "uber" bosses (which I thought were part of an event) I basically jsut beat the game on normal and stopped playing before, so learning all this stuff for the first time this go around and boy do all of the gear lists reference these items. =(
    Yup, ubers are available.

D2R has all ladder content in all modes, Ubers used to be ladder only IIRC which is probably what you are thinking of.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yup, ubers are available.

D2R has all ladder content in all modes, Ubers used to be ladder only IIRC which is probably what you are thinking of.
    dang, I'm gonna have to read into that. Nearly at hell on my skelemancer, did some precursory reading last night, seems I'm gonna need quite a few stones of jordan. I am glad to hear everything's available outside ladder
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    dang, I'm gonna have to read into that. Nearly at hell on my skelemancer, did some precursory reading last night, seems I'm gonna need quite a few stones of jordan. I am glad to hear everything's available outside ladder
    Yea, my wife and I have decided to just stick with online and not do ladder since there's nothing special about it besides the race now.

In other words, you get extra space.. I don't see how that is different from "additional space"...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    To preface I know this is going to be a mixed bag. D2 is a pretty good game and honestly stands up really well, and I think most of us would agree that when D4 comes out that it hopefully leans on D2 far more than it does D3 (there are things D3 does better than D2 however). The game is old and there's some QoL things I'd like to see addressed along with hopefully the game getting some love with some actual patches in the future too. It's another topic, but there's so much power in gear with little room to actually use it in a pretty empty end game.

Console players actually have a superior binding system which is sort of hilarious. I know that it's a change, but modernizing keybinds for D2 for PC players would be amazing, along with the option for your left click to just always move (something PoE does).

Multiplayer games having a toggle for personal loot would be nice, despite this being a big change. Keep in mind, I noted TOGGLE for a reason.

Charms just having their own inventory would be a really nice QoL change too. Whether it's just playing tetris in a different inventory with 'x' amount of slots, or just allowing us to have something like 3-5 of each 'type' of charm in a new charm inventory would be nice. As it stands, aside from torch, most large charms are just utter garbage because they're statistically worse than small charms for the inventory space they take up.

Inventory should matter to a degree, but I also don't agree with how gems and runes are handled in the game. None of them stack on top of each other and most of our inventory woes would probably be alleviated to some degree if these items had their own tab, or just stacked in SOME FASHION.

Loot filter of some sorts would be nice. It's annoying playing with a bigger group and doing things like cows only to move up/down and side to side trying to see things that dropped under the masses of potions that dropped. From an audio standpoint the game does a pretty good job of telling you that something good dropped (in regards to charms, jewels, runes, gems, etc), so it's not like we need some crazy loot filter like the ones you pretty much have to have to play PoE. But something very minor to remove a few options that most people wouldn't care to see would help quite a bit (especially in bigger groups). Basically a really simple loot filter, not one that screams or moans at you when some amazing base item drops (I think part of the fun is learning what's good and what's not).

The lobby itself could use a lot of work to be honest. Being able to see more games, have bigger descriptions and all of that jazz would be pretty nice. A lot of the times I see a game and by the time I read the description it's gone off the small list of potential public games to join. This is especially true in a game where you pretty much are pushed to trade if you want to obtain certain things without grinding for months or years (or forever).

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head. The core of the game is pretty good and I have loads of things I'd liked to see updated/changed from a gameplay perspective. Hopefully it remains popular and Blizzard actually surprises us by supporting the game with updates instead of abandoning it like they did with WC3:Reforged. A good testing ground for HOPEFULLY adding decent content every ladder reset when D4 becomes available. How they approached D3 was just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by cozzri View Post
    D2: Resurrected is just a reskinned nostalgic cash grab. They literally added no new content to the game and removed features (despite similar backlash they received from Warcraft 3: Reforged). They really doubled down on not improving the user experience, which is a real shame. These small QoL changes really don't bring much to the table, and it's certainly not worth the price point.

They abandoned this game for over 10 years. They had so many opportunities to create something epic for one of their most popular games, but instead squandered their time and lost a lot of of good faith from veteran fans. I know a lot of people that never wanted Diablo 3, Immortal, Diablo 4; they want more D2; new classes, new items, new dungeons, new bosses and areas to explore.

Everyone that played D2 already played it; this remake isn't going to appeal to newer audiences because the gameplay is so dated; the competition on the market right now is just so much better that D2 pales in comparison. Titan Quest is 5 years younger than D2, and they are STILL putting out new content and expansions for the game, because the developers care about their fans and foster a strong community around the game.
    Ignoring the massive graphical overhaul. Turning a square pixel-fest into a graphically modern game that can run at a reasonable framerate and has 3D models. You know, no biggie.

Oh, but of course graphics don't matter - only gameplay matters. Frankly, that's BS. Humans are visual creatures, visuals matter, graphics matter. There's nothing wrong with caring about them.

It's a remaster. If you genuinely don't care about visuals - than remasters aren't for you. But I for one, will totally continue to love and obsess over this "cash grab".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feeline10 View Post
    Am I the only one who didnt like running back to town every 5 minutes and still dont? No one seems to mention this.
    Stop picking up everything. There's no legit reason to do that. If you need gold, selectively pick up things that sell for a lot (whites with lots of defense, blues & yellow items that tend to have multiple skill bonuses). Otherwise - just pick up uniques & stuff you need an upgrade on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cozzri View Post
    D2: Resurrected is just a reskinned nostalgic cash grab. They literally added no new content to the game and removed features (despite similar backlash they received from Warcraft 3: Reforged). They really doubled down on not improving the user experience, which is a real shame. These small QoL changes really don't bring much to the table, and it's certainly not worth the price point.

They abandoned this game for over 10 years. They had so many opportunities to create something epic for one of their most popular games, but instead squandered their time and lost a lot of of good faith from veteran fans. I know a lot of people that never wanted Diablo 3, Immortal, Diablo 4; they want more D2; new classes, new items, new dungeons, new bosses and areas to explore.

Everyone that played D2 already played it; this remake isn't going to appeal to newer audiences because the gameplay is so dated; the competition on the market right now is just so much better that D2 pales in comparison. Titan Quest is 5 years younger than D2, and they are STILL putting out new content and expansions for the game, because the developers care about their fans and foster a strong community around the game.
    the devs has already openly stated that they arent against the idea of making new content for the game as they see it as a live game on its own.. Its still "release period" so give the game a few months ands ee what happens.

I would like to see some of the controller features cross over to keyboard and mouse. The auto sort and d3 style bars especially.

Could finally do normal Baal runs yesterday, and even though I mostly went into them for the XP, but after doing 7+ Baal runs with different groups where you can't even see the items drop as they get picked up that fast (some sort of auto-picker hack I presume, saw plenty of these in D2). - yes even no blue,yellow items remained. So after all this, right now I just wan't a personal loot system, I know this might be a big change gamewise but would really make running with pugs much more enjoyable. And then maybe items could go FFA after 5-10 seconds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengerx View Post
    Could finally do normal Baal runs yesterday, and even though I mostly went into them for the XP, but after doing 7+ Baal runs with different groups where you can't even see the items drop as they get picked up that fast (some sort of auto-picker hack I presume, saw plenty of these in D2). - yes even no blue,yellow items remained. So after all this, right now I just wan't a personal loot system, I know this might be a big change gamewise but would really make running with pugs much more enjoyable. And then maybe items could go FFA after 5-10 seconds or so.
    If you use a controller you can spam pickup items, my friend does it and its so fast he can't even see what dropped till he looks in his inventory

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    If you use a controller you can spam pickup items, my friend does it and its so fast he can't even see what dropped till he looks in his inventory
    Ugh thats kind of unfair...