Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Which actor just didn't suit their film/TV role?

You can name any movie any character

Charlie Jones just wasn't a convincing baddy in EastEnders

Chicken Drummer as obvious human being posting on MMO Champion

Topher Grace as Venom in Spider Man 3. Not sure what they were smoking.

7+ Year Old Account
    Johnny Depp did not fit as Grindelwald in the Fantastic Beasts movies. His look is just too outlandish and personally I don't think the type of character he portrays fits with how the character was described in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Johnny Depp did not fit as Grindelwald in the Fantastic Beasts movies. His look is just too outlandish and personally I don't think the type of character he portrays fits with how the character was described in the books.
    We know very little from the books about the older Grindelwald, don't we? Most of what we have direct access to is his youth, the older years are all indirect accounts of what he did, not so much actual portrayals of him. Irrespective of the accuracy, I personally found him EXCELLENT in the movies.

Biggest miscasting for me is Daniel Craig as James Bond. He looks more like a Russian agent than a British one, and his dour demeanor really clashes with the suave super-spy image the character had cultivated previously. (Controversial take: Pierce Brosnan was the best Bond. Sorry, Sean.)

Another bad casting is almost any Vulcan in Star Trek other than Leonard Nimoy and Tim Russ (who is not recognized enough for being THE perfect Vulcan, I mean holy hell does he do a good job...). It's a tough ask for actors to play characters defined by their lack of emotion, but a lot of them don't even TRY to make it work. Ridiculous.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan in Star Trek. He's a good actor and had good malice, but he lacked the physical and structured air of superiority that Ricardo had. Old Khan, you could tell just by looking at him this is someone not to fuck with. New Khan just looks like a superpowered nerd cause he doesn't have the physical appearance to pull off the feats he did.

Controversial, but Rick from TWD. The accent and overall performance gave me anxiety with how exaggerated and obviously fake they were. Way too strained. Takes me out of my immersion.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Michael Gambon as Dumbledore is by far the most offensively unfaithful portrayal of any character I have ever seen. Not only does he not portray the character he is supposed to, but manages to portray opposite traits while butchering the character. Where Dumbledore is calm and whimsical most of the time, Gambon is erratic, aggressive even violent with students (lol!). Where Dubmbledore is the most powerful wizard alive, absolutely terrifying when he (rarely) reveals his power and the only person Voldemort actually fears, Gambon is a sassy old man yelling at the top of his lungs hoping to impress somebody.

To be fair he clearly received some feedback and seriously dialed back his absurdly incorrect performance in the last couple of movies, but holy shit he should lose his acting license just for his performance in the fourth movie alone.

If I ever get to talk to JKR this is the first and probably only thing I will be discussing with her lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post

Also, Michael Gambon as Dumbledore is by far the most offensively unfaithful portrayal of any character I have ever seen. Not only does he not portray the character he is supposed to, but manages to portray opposite traits while butchering the character. Where Dumbledore is calm and whimsical most of the time, Gambon is erratic, aggressive even violent with students (lol!). Where Dubmbledore is the most powerful wizard alive, absolutely terrifying when he (rarely) reveals his power and the only person Voldemort actually fears, Gambon is a sassy old man yelling at the top of his lungs hoping to impress somebody.
    Sounds more like you have a problem with the Production side of things than the Performance. A big part of the Director's job is to describe to the actor what their character's motivation is in every scene and they will often do multiple takes accentuating different aspects of the character. If Gambon is coming across as Erratic and Aggresive...that's the take that the Producers and Director wanted in those scenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Chicken Drummer as obvious human being posting on MMO Champion
    Let's hijack this thread. This is now a discussion about what Chicken Drummer actually is. My first guess? Someone is trying to program an A.I. to showcase the worst humanity has to offer and the easier way is to teach it what posters on a World of Warcraft fan forum are like.

I have a couple. Ving Rhames as Kojak, Dwayne Johnson as Hercules and also as Buford Pusser, the female Captain Marvel, Steve Martin as Inspector Clouseau, Vince Vaughan as Norman Bates and a few more. They all just did not fit the roles and should never have been cast. I agree with Daniel Craig as Bond too. He was a bad choice. My favorite Bond was actually Timothy Dalton.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2021-08-25 at 10:45 PM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Jodie Turner-Smith as Anne Boleyn.

Edit: fucks sake it's a Chicken Drummer thread, goddammit..

sean bean as ned stark in GoT - he looks nothing like the description, and ned is supposed to be dour and serious, and sean bean can't pull that off - he just comes across as constipated whenever he tries to be serious.
    i felt the rest of GoT was pretty well cast overall, excepting a few issues of an actor being too pretty for the character, but that's strictly adaptation nit-picking.
    sean bean was the only cast member i could think of that seemed totally miscast in that show.

this is technically a computer game so dunno if it counts, but i utterly despise tricia helfer as kerrigan in starcraft 2 - glynnis talken was genius in that role in the original and brought a lot of nuance and depth to the character in her delivery, where helfer does the only thing she's capable of: being the female version of the human equivalent of mustache grease.

Negan on The Walking Dead.

In the comics he's a no-necked ape of a man with a fire hydrant for a head, not a skinny old dude with his clothes hanging off of him.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a wonderful actor but I feel the role was miscast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicejorb View Post
    Negan on The Walking Dead.

In the comics he's a no-necked ape of a man with a fire hydrant for a head, not a skinny old dude with his clothes hanging off of him.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a wonderful actor but I feel the role was miscast.
    Thats exactly what I thought when reading the title.

15+ Year Old Account
    Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Felt like a terrible choice of casting, he just didn't fit the role at all to me. Got nothing against his acting, he was awesome in The Social Network, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Felt like a terrible choice of casting, he just didn't fit the role at all to me. Got nothing against his acting, he was awesome in The Social Network, for example.
    Oh yeah, that was a dumpster fire casting for a dumpster fire film. At least something like Leto's joker had SOME semblance of the character in it, this lush-haired Mickey Mouse baby is about as far from Lex Luthor as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    We know very little from the books about the older Grindelwald, don't we? Most of what we have direct access to is his youth, the older years are all indirect accounts of what he did, not so much actual portrayals of him. Irrespective of the accuracy, I personally found him EXCELLENT in the movies.

Biggest miscasting for me is Daniel Craig as James Bond. He looks more like a Russian agent than a British one, and his dour demeanor really clashes with the suave super-spy image the character had cultivated previously. (Controversial take: Pierce Brosnan was the best Bond. Sorry, Sean.)

Another bad casting is almost any Vulcan in Star Trek other than Leonard Nimoy and Tim Russ (who is not recognized enough for being THE perfect Vulcan, I mean holy hell does he do a good job...). It's a tough ask for actors to play characters defined by their lack of emotion, but a lot of them don't even TRY to make it work. Ridiculous.
    I think Daniel Craig is a great James Bond but I don't think they are writing very good movies for him. I liked the 2nd one he was in. The first and third ones were pretty boring though.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of Mystery Inc. in Scoob!

Emilia Clarke as Daenerys, but of course Jon Snow was even younger.

In the books shes like 12 years old. It didn't save her from getting plowed by Khal Drogo though.

Edit: A lot of the characters were much younger in the books now that I think of it
    Last edited by ItsRainingMetal; 2021-08-26 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    Emilia Clarke as Daenerys, but of course Jon Snow was even younger.

In the books shes like 12 years old. It didn't save her from getting plowed by Khal Drogo though.

Edit: A lot of the characters were much younger in the books now that I think of it
    Well, age is very often adjusted in adaptation for various reasons. Not having a 12-year old have sex on screen I think I'm entirely willing to accept as a reason.

Reverse for LotR, funnily enough, where Frodo was in his 50s in the book. Which I'm sure they chose to adjust because they wanted the main character to look younger and have broader appeal.

I wouldn't really count that as a miscasting, though. It's not like they saw Clarke and went "man we really wanted a preteen but okay, let's go with this one"; they'd have done that either way.