Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammonoske View Post
    Wonder how long before people go after Matthew Mercer just because he voiced the character. If they aren't already.
    Wouldn't surprise me, the voice actor for a character in Boyfriend Dungeon is getting death threats because those sending him death threats don't like the character he voices.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Theres no evidence he did any of the things Alex is guilty of.

    He has been tried and convicted by the public at large purely by association which is a dangerous and disgusting practice.
    Eh, maybe but that is a.) common but also b.) has nothing to do with them changing the name. They're changing the name because they don't want the character associated with that dude anymore.

    'They' here are internal HR heads that care purely about the optics. They know more than you or me and let him go presumably without fear of legal retribution. The actual legal ramifications and your side quest about 'convicted by the public' isn't relevant to the character McCree in Overwatch being renamed.
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I really don't see an issue with the character retaining the name. Names are not unique and this characters name doesn't offend me any more than running into someone named Joseph, Bill, or Jack would.

    That said, if others are offended by the character retaining the name, and changing the name helps them? Go nuts I guess? You feeling good about a decision the OW team makes doesn't hinder my ability to play and enjoy a game.
    No change should EVER be made just to not offend someone.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    I absolutely agree.

    This is exactly why I look down on my friends when they listen to Michael Jackson.
    I really hope that's sarcasm.

  4. #104
    While everyone is distracted with McCree controversy... a couple more files get shredded.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    It's shilling to not want to immortalize someone who is either a) a predator themselves or b) stood by and let a predator do their thing? If my favorite character was directly named after such a person I'd be fine with it being changed. I'd encourage the company to change it. At this point we know that he was fired. That didn't just happen for no reason. It's not a Blizzard issue, it's a stop defending creeps issue. Plus just a week ago people were calling for Afrasiabi to be removed from WoW, but now McCree is a problem? lol.



    You'd lose that bet because I didn't know anything about the Kael'thas thing until people on this forum cried about the changed voice actor.
    Grow up and learn to seperate the art from the artist.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    so i guess everyone in REAL LIFE that are named McCree should change their name? wtf is this shit
    McRee's full name is Jesse McRee. He had the same exact name as the employee that is likely involved with the current harassment scandal.

  7. #107
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Not in Europe Anymore Yay
    Posts
    6,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Grow up and learn to seperate the art from the artist.
    Tell that to the people threatening to boycott Blizzard even though a boycott accomplishes nothing but hurting the workers. You don't need to be snide to me or tell me I don't know how to separate an artist from their art. I like a couple of Johnny Cash songs but I can admit that he was a piece of shit IRL and wouldn't want any monuments or bridges or anything dedicated to him. But there's a little bit of a difference between being a general piece of shit and either participating in or ignoring or covering up sexual harassment isn't there? The cost of renaming an NPC is minimal.

    The disconnect in the community here is wild. Somehow simultaneously Blizzard is protecting abusers AND railroading this one guy who is totes super innocent and thus shouldn't have his character insert removed. Wild.

    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Okay you got me, apparently I did know, my bad. I can admit when I was wrong. That said, that's a far cry from saying he's a predator.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    McRee's full name is Jesse McRee. He had the same exact name as the employee that is likely involved with the current harassment scandal.
    The amount of people going to bat for a guy they don't even know who is up to his eyeballs in the harassment scandal is wild. It's a character in a game, rename it. Oh look McCree is now McCormack, the horror. I'm interested to see how many people keep calling him McCree out of spite and to show support for a harasser/abusers tbh.
    Last edited by RoKPaNda; 2021-08-27 at 03:49 AM.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Tell that to the people threatening to boycott Blizzard even though a boycott accomplishes nothing but hurting the workers. You don't need to be snide to me or tell me I don't know how to separate an artist from their art. I like a couple of Johnny Cash songs but I can admit that he was a piece of shit IRL and wouldn't want any monuments or bridges or anything dedicated to him. But there's a little bit of a difference between being a general piece of shit and either participating in or ignoring or covering up sexual harassment isn't there? The cost of renaming an NPC is minimal.

    The disconnect in the community here is wild. Somehow simultaneously Blizzard is protecting abusers AND railroading this one guy who is totes super innocent and thus shouldn't have his character insert removed. Wild.



    Okay you got me, apparently I did know, my bad. I can admit when I was wrong. That said, that's a far cry from saying he's a predator.



    The amount of people going to bat for a guy they don't even know who is up to his eyeballs in the harassment scandal is wild. It's a character in a game, rename it. Oh look McCree is now McCormack, the horror. I'm interested to see how many people keep calling him McCree out of spite and to show support for a harasser/abusers tbh.
    Exactly. People are saying separate the art from the artists but you can't since McRee is practically 100% a self-insert. But the people condemning this are the same people who say shit like "I don't care what horrible things the employees are being subjected to, where's my WoW content?!"

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Since when was joking about others having sex a criminal act?
    A) When you're a person in charge
    B) When they're also a person in charge
    C) When the people involved are women that both men have power over
    D) There have been complaints about this behaviour
    E) You deny it happening or your knowledge about it right before the evidence that you very much knew about it comes to light.

  10. #110
    Not mad about the change, i don't really care, it was something to be expected since they can't help themselves when it comes to overreacting, but at this point i bet that the name McCree for a huge majority of people only represents a videogame character and not a blizzard employee, and being that the case, i don't think there is nothing wrong with keeping a very recognizable character name that almost no one knew it was named after someone from the company. In fact, i bet for most people he will still be McCree and will keep calling it by that name, not out of spite or anything like that, but simply because the character has always been more recognizable than the guy they took the name from. So basically, it's an overreaction that only works as a desperate PR move.

  11. #111
    I am Murloc! Asrialol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by KevyB View Post
    bahahahaha, oh man, can this company just fade already.
    You're active on a fansite where the company in question holds a majority of the attention. You don't want it to fade.
    Hi

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Exactly. People are saying separate the art from the artists but you can't since McRee is practically 100% a self-insert. But the people condemning this are the same people who say shit like "I don't care what horrible things the employees are being subjected to, where's my WoW content?!"
    You say you can't. But I find it very easy.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    You say you can't. But I find it very easy.
    Me too. Very easy in fact.
    - Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle… and wonder if we’ll ever get the chance to kill him.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    You say you can't. But I find it very easy.
    Hey if you're ok with a character being a self-insert of a sexual predator, that's on you. But I'm not cool with it.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Hey if you're ok with a character being a self-insert of a sexual predator, that's on you. But I'm not cool with it.
    Dude, that's now what I said or even you said... You said "you can't separate the art from the artist". Which I disagree on...
    Just because you associate it with a sexual predator, that's on you. But you can't put up your interpretations and thoughts onto another person as if they hold these thoughts.

    YOU link it to a sexual predator... I do not. So I do not excuse or am ok with it. If I associated it with a sexual predator and THEN said it should still be there, then yes, you would have a leg to stand on. You see Jesse McRee and you think of the developer and what he did. I see Jesse McRee and I only see a cowboy in Overwatch...

    Artists or any public figure is just a random guy like any other stranger on the street. I rarely think about them at all... thus I have it easy to separate art from the artist.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Dude, that's now what I said or even you said... You said "you can't separate the art from the artist". Which I disagree on...
    Just because you associate it with a sexual predator, that's on you. But you can't put up your interpretations and thoughts onto another person as if they hold these thoughts.

    YOU link it to a sexual predator... I do not. So I do not excuse or am ok with it. If I associated it with a sexual predator and THEN said it should still be there, then yes, you would have a leg to stand on. You see Jesse McRee and you think of the developer and what he did. I see Jesse McRee and I only see a cowboy in Overwatch...

    Artists or any public figure is just a random guy like any other stranger on the street. I rarely think about them at all... thus I have it easy to separate art from the artist.
    The artist is a sexual predator. His name is literally slapped on the character.

  17. #117
    A lot of people have the same name as other people who have done bad things, so I just don't get it.
    I mean, I get it in the sense that Blizzard HAS to do it because of all the inhouse stuff going on, and them literally being the shittiest and most toxic company on the planet.
    But as a a character in a video game, who gives a fuck? :P
    The character only shares a name, nothing else.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The artist is a sexual predator. His name is literally slapped on the character.
    Cool, I can still separate the art from the artist...very easily and I do it all the time.

  19. #119
    Petition to call him Maclovin!

  20. #120
    The complete disregard of due process evident from posts in this thread is disturbing if not unsurprising given today's political climate, Blackstone's ratio anyone?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •