Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I would actually love to see them be so fucking blatantly stupid to re-do every single voice line and cinematic ever mentioning him by name just to virtue signal the absolutely living fck out of this situation.

They could spend that money on actually developing the game, but nah, it's '21, corps gotta feed on the likes of snowflakes who never spent a rogue dime on their game.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Good. There's really no way to make this a bad thing unless you're looking for an excuse to, well, excuse offenders. If a character I like in a video game is directly named after someone who turns out to be a harasser or predator or whatever absolutely rename them.
    I'll call him a predator when you can point to any shred of proof aside from being "nearby" one.
    I bet you called the voice actor for Kael'thas a predator too.

Good. There's really no way to make this a bad thing unless you're looking for an excuse to, well, excuse offenders. If a character I like in a video game is directly named after someone who turns out to be a harasser or predator or whatever absolutely rename them.
    I absolutely agree.

This is exactly why I look down on my friends when they listen to Michael Jackson.

Why? There's no concrete evidence that this dude even did anything - and while I am assuming, I doubt that anyone on the Overwatch team is privy to that information. It literally is just a name.

Just because he and others were in that photo (like Ghostcrawler) doesn't mean they had a hand in anything. Witch-hunt at this point.

Dead game anyways tbf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    What a ridiculous response. I didn't even know he was referenced to nor cared for, and probably 95% of players... but they sure will now, out of annoyance, with the sudden name change of a popular character.

People will still call him McCree regardless.
    Yeah I can see the Streissand effect kicking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    I absolutely agree.

This is exactly why I look down on my friends when they listen to Michael Jackson.
    I don't understand this logic. Eventually you run out of thinks you can allow yourselves to enjoy because everyone has done something immoral or wrong.

Also, I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson, not my kind of music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you at least paid for all this breathless shilling ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar45 View Post
    I don't understand this logic. Eventually you run out of thinks you can allow yourselves to enjoy because everyone has done something immoral or wrong.

Also, I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson, not my kind of music.
    It was obviously sarcastic, mate.

Just to show how absolutely nonsensical the argument is.

What a fucking joke.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Shredded like all those "unrelated" documents.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Boy i sure hope this doesnt turn out to be another Kael'thas situation, where a voice actor, not even an employee of the company, who didnt do anything but got caught in a witch hunt was un-personed and removed from all blizzard products only to be vindicated later and make the company look like reactionary idiots. Oh wait.

It's kind of impressive that their response is to piss off the people who generally didnt care much about the harassment lawsuit, by virtue signalling like mad.

Looking forward to McCree being reimagined as a gay black transexual "woman" named MacKenzie so twitter will be nice to them for 30 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Somehow understandable, they fear the law suite can destroy ow2 and this is not an option at all. Still as a fan i feel sad about this state, but also about the tragic things that happened behind the scene.
    love WoWarcraft

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Pfffhahahaha

It's just virtue signal after virtue signal, Blizz is in full-on virtue signal mode
    I'm sure you think the whole thing is a case of boys will be boys and the lawsuit is a joke? Who cares if they played a little grab ass and a woman committed suicide...it's all in good fun right?

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    Somehow understandable, they fear the law suite can destroy ow2 and this is not an option at all. Still as a fan i feel sad about this state, but also about the tragic things that happened behind the scene.
    it certainly doesn't paint the picture that these lawsuit(s) are going to go away and things will just return to normalcy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    I'm sure you think the whole thing is a case of boys will be boys and the lawsuit is a joke? Who cares if they played a little grab ass and a woman committed suicide...it's all in good fun right?
    Not drinking the corporate kool-aid makes someone an abuse apologist, noted.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Nah. The character was named after that guy. This is same as removing all the references about Alex Afrasiabi, however this time I thought they wouldn't do it since changing OW hero is bigger than random NPC and items in WoW.
    Plus Afrasiabi apparently did enough horrible shit that they fired him long before this lawsuit. You would think if McCree had been doing comparable shit they would have fired him as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Still gonna call him mccree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    Not drinking the corporate kool-aid makes someone an abuse apologist, noted.
    "liking the changes being made to the game"
    "not falling for Blizzard's obvious deflections"

these are not mutually exclusive things.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    Just you wait, people will get banned if they do that.
    Even as a joke, you know they won't do that. Activision controls the purse strings and no matter how much surface level positiivity the employees can try to pile on, that's all that matters in the end.

Activision isn't going to learn their lesson and behave, they're gonna wait until Cali is looking away and start layoffs on the squeaky wheels, especailly when they're unproductive squeaky wheels. Actually scratch that, unproductive squeaky wheels threatening unionization, there we go, that's what Activision sees.

Taking a moment, I asked two friends what their opinion was of this, and one didn't know McCree was named after anything and the other thought it was from Mad Dog McCree, an old arcade title. So really all this is doing is giving the spotlight to the employee they fired, not removing it from him.

And in exchange for this, they now get to scrub through every asset, every line of voice, every trailer, every promo piece they've ever produced for the game and edit it all, everything down to computer monitors in the backgrounds of CG footage. I'm sure that bodes well for content in this struggling game.
    Last edited by Merin; 2021-08-26 at 09:01 PM.

Nice, Also there are already unused lines that hint at McCree not even being his real name, so they could easily use those lines and produce a narrative in which his real name is revealed.