Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Kragan View Post
    I mean, there's also no need to be dishonest, either. :V
    i legit have never played the game and was putting down some honest questions.

How would I know over half of the abilities in this game are off global cooldown. That just makes me so confused now, how could 2/3rds of your abilities be off gcd?
    I 3d print stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Runicblood View Post

How would I know over half of the abilities in this game are off global cooldown. That just makes me so confused now, how could 2/3rds of your abilities be off gcd?
    Because their combat is not designed like wow. The best thing to do is forget WoW and don't try to compare the two designs. It only leads to confusion.

Generally speaking, jobs in FF14 has GCD and oGCD abilities. You use the GCD abilities rhythmically, one after the other, and use the oGCD abilities between the GCD abilities, usually 1-2 per GCD. The vast majority of combat is designed around this rhythm. oGCDs are NOT used at the same time as a GCD. That is where the confusion usually comes in. They aren't something you bind to go off with a GCD. They have to be used in between GCD abilities or else they block your GCDs.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Above post put it the best: different systems. Abilities off the global don't work exactly like they do in WoW. In FF14 you can fit exactly two oGCDs in-between your GCDs. Also, unlike WoW you can't spam off-global abilities (e.g. stacking them into a macro). FF14 players call it oGCD weaving for this reason. So a typical rotation could look like:

{GCD -> oGCD -> GCD}

or

{GCD -> oGCD -> oGCD -> GCD}

Both would take 2.5 seconds to complete, even though the second option has 4 abilities used compared to 3. Your actual GCD timer also scales with skill/spell speed (although not many jobs favor this stat). You could have a 2.3s GCD, for example, but the above rule would remain the same. You would still only fit a maximum of 2 oGCDs in-between your GCD.

There are exceptions, though...some jobs like Machinists have cooldowns that greatly lower their GCD to the point that you can only weave 1 oGCD in-between them.

It's not THAT many oGCDs honestly, depending on the job in question. At least not in normal rotational abilities, cooldowns tend to be oGCD as well but that's not terribly different from other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    It's not THAT many oGCDs honestly, depending on the job in question. At least not in normal rotational abilities, cooldowns tend to be oGCD as well but that's not terribly different from other games.
    This probably bears repeating. Most jobs have quite a bit of abilities (oGCDs) but many of them are utility or cooldowns. As for rotational abilities, I'd say most jobs have an average of 2 with an average of a 30s cooldown. So it's not like you are weaving every single GCD. It's why you see a bunch of super complicated high APM openers but then you kinda just drift into a chill rotation.

FF14 is a story driven Game. Everything else it lacks behind any modern MMO by Years.

2.5 gcd like wtf its 2022. grow up from consoles please

Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    FF14 is a story driven Game. Everything else it lacks behind any modern MMO by Years.

Dunno man, this looks pretty lit.

complaining about 2.5 gcd basically confirms you have no idea what ur talking about

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Above post put it the best: different systems. Abilities off the global don't work exactly like they do in WoW. In FF14 you can fit exactly two oGCDs in-between your GCDs. Also, unlike WoW you can't spam off-global abilities (e.g. stacking them into a macro). FF14 players call it oGCD weaving for this reason. So a typical rotation could look like:

{GCD -> oGCD -> GCD}

or

{GCD -> oGCD -> oGCD -> GCD}

Both would take 2.5 seconds to complete, even though the second option has 4 abilities used compared to 3. Your actual GCD timer also scales with skill/spell speed (although not many jobs favor this stat). You could have a 2.3s GCD, for example, but the above rule would remain the same. You would still only fit a maximum of 2 oGCDs in-between your GCD.

There are exceptions, though...some jobs like Machinists have cooldowns that greatly lower their GCD to the point that you can only weave 1 oGCD in-between them.
    Very informative explanation, thank you.
    I 3d print stuff

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    complaining about 2.5 gcd basically confirms you have no idea what ur talking about
    oh sorry your highness. its a fucking relic of the past when this game was meant to be played with a controller.

they should have got rid of it when they redesigned it but they didnt cuz console players lmao

Let's not kid ourselves - there are not THAT many OGCDs. There is still quite a bit of down time on all jobs. There is no defending the 2.5s gcd. It sucks, it feels bad, and it's not fun. Any job that speeds it up is infinitely more fun than those who don't.

It's not as bad as people who don't play the game make it out to be, but it's also not like it makes FF14's job design any more abysmal than it already is.

oh sorry your highness. its a fucking relic of the past when this game was meant to be played with a controller.

they should have got rid of it when they redesigned it but they didnt cuz console players lmao
    play wow then where you rapidly smash 2 buttons

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    play wow then where you rapidly smash 2 buttons
    theres always a middleground and neither wow nor ff14 hit that

btw its more like smashing 4-5 buttons

1.5 gcd like wow would make for an almost impossible encounter design. Leaving aside the issues for weaving properly constantly with that, you are not gonna do mechanics properly. Because this is something way too many wow players (and some from other games, let's be fair) ignore: mechanics are gonna require your attention and movement. You will not be able to 100% focus on damage when you reach the lightwave phase in the latest stream. You will not be able to stay static when the ivalice raid's final boss starts pumping out mechanics from previous bosses.
    Last edited by Lord Kragan; 2022-01-15 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    1. You never break combos, so that wouldn't matter. But you can.
    2. Yes
    3. The combos are per job, so it carries over
    4. No, but they break every expansion
    Sounds to me like you can reduce certain classes to:

1 button for DPS combo
    1 button for buff combo (Storm's Eye etc)
    1 button for AoE combo

and just leave CDs as only decisions.

Will pick up FFXIV after I'm done with Sepulcher.

Yeah, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...

If you think you need a faster GCD, play Monk. Or don't, and keep repeating things you've heard others say and touting them off as fact like so many people do these days. Won't make me lose any sleep over it, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kittahsmash View Post
    Yeah, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...

If you think you need a faster GCD, play Monk. Or don't, and keep repeating things you've heard others say and touting them off as fact like so many people do these days. Won't make me lose any sleep over it, lol
    yeah its still a fucking fact ff14 is a controller game and thus the 2.5 shit gcd was born together with some other bullshit and its not fun at all

but omg you have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many spells so it doesnt feel so bad blablalblab

yeah its still a fucking fact ff14 is a controller game and thus the 2.5 shit gcd was born together with some other bullshit and its not fun at all

but omg you have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many spells so it doesnt feel so bad blablalblab
    You must be above 18 to post here /jk.

In all seriousness. Using controllers is not the reason the gcd is 2.5 (and there are classes that don't have that). And regardless of that (also, wth is wrong with it using controllers, is this some kind of elitism) the way the encounters work is meant to take that into account: the gcd gives you time to do both the rotation and the mechanic.

Seriously, you're not doing yourself any favors throwing this childis tantrum.

You're sitting there claiming it's a fact a fact, but you're not able to provide one single shred of evidence for proof other than "TRUST ME BRO ITS OBVIOUS IT WAS DONE THAT WAY", which is always the most credible kind of evidence!

Good thing all those other "controller games" like Street Fighter and Dark Souls and shit all have 2.5 seconds of lag built into them, amiright?

Oh yay we've got a GCD supremacist over here. 1.5s? That's a literal eternity. If you can't handle 1200 apm for 10 minutes straight your dps should be trash. Bring on the 50ms GCD.