View Poll Results: What will be the next WoW class?

Voters
290. This poll is closed
  • Old Dragonsworn

6 2.07%
  • New Dragonsworn

23 7.93%
  • Necromancer

52 17.93%
  • Dark Ranger

46 15.86%
  • Tinker

93 32.07%
  • Bard

59 20.34%
  • Night Warrior

11 3.79%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Literally ANYthing with a RANGED dps and healer specs
    We have enough bloody mele boiz!

As much as the forum is tired of Tinker it really does thematically make the most sense. A hero that fights with the power of superior tech is a popular concept in superheroes and fantasy.

I think they'd serve a viable candidate to use ranged weapons as well, namely guns. Make it the gnome/goblin hero class or whichever works best for WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Ill give Teriz credit, he's certainly committed to his idea. I'd hate to be on these forums though should it ever actually get announced, he's a better man than I if he didn't make everyone eat shit for talking down about it for years.

Tinker does nothing for me personally, and I don't really think we need another class, but with WoW as it is, there is no way one isn't coming. I'm a melee guy and it is almost certainly going to be a ranged, so I guess Necro would be nice if it separated itself from DK enough.
    Because it is a solid idea. Teriz's concepts have evolved and he's poured more time and effort into a single class than no single person at Blizzard has done, on a payroll. I don't like his idea of it being a trybrid spec but you don't have to like 100% of someone's idea to support it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tinker makes the most sense. The rest are mostly fanfic self inserts with very little or no established lore in the game. Not sorry if that gives you booty ache.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2021-08-29 at 03:46 AM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care as long as they are ranged. No more fucking melee please.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't care as long as they are ranged. No more fucking melee please.
    I second that motion.

Btw, kinda funny bug/oversight. If you have someone on ignore they still/only show up on the forum overview as the latest topic.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    i would go with bard as like a fourth rouge spec
    Last edited by Julmara; 2021-08-29 at 04:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like a tinker as I don't really have any other reason to make a mechagnome but what I'd really like is nightborne and void elf demon hunters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's not about NEEDING a new class, it's about adding something new just so you have something new.

You don't NEED most classes/specs. You could trim down the roster considerably and nothing substantial would change.

There isn't really any niche that needs filling, except perhaps one could argue that there's only two mail-armor users right now (Hunter and Shaman) so that might benefit from better distribution - although in an era of personal loot that barely even matters anymore.

One could also make the argument that adding extra tank specs would probably increase the overall number of players playing tanks, simply by virtue of them being new. That wouldn't solve the tank problem, but it might be something to consider at least.

Other than that, no reason other than "this would be cool". And honestly, that should be enough.
    I mean, would it really be cool? There's two scenarios I envision when it comes to a new class. The first one is that the new class isn't original and feels too much like previous classes, just reskinned. It would be a waste of development resources and the effort could of been redirected towards existing specs. The second scenario is that the class is too unique with abilities that are creative and original. Like the previous scenario, that would take away from existing specs because those new unique abilities could of been utilized for preexisting classes.

There's only a handful of combinations and I feel like they've been exhausted with our current classes/specs. The only combination not tackled is a ranged tank. There's not a single boring class in the game and I feel like any resources spent towards classes should be spent on existing classes as opposed to new classes. What annoys me the most and this ties into my original post, is that most of the people asking for new classes haven't played endgame with every class/spec. It's like going into an ice cream store with 36 flavors and you've only tried 16 flavors. Instead of trying one of the 20 other flavors, you ask the owner if they can create a new flavor. The owner suggests you try the other flavors, but you reject his suggestion and say it would be "cool" to have a new flavor regardless.

Just try the other flavors before demanding a new class simply because it would be cool.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    The really funny part is "his" concept is 75% copy/pasted from someone else's concept, and he gets called out on it from time to time. He gets extremely defensive when it's brought up.
    Actually every time this gets brought up I ask you to provide a link to the person I supposedly copied this concept from.

To date, you have never provided that link.

Oh it's you again. Can we get bans for spamming the same topic over and over again?

There won't be any new classes, get over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This is a joke poll by making all the options bad. There's 3 classes on there that are 25% of a real class. Tinker is a joke. Minecraft is open for you guys that like that class anytime you want to go play it. Are they really gonna try to get kids into the game for a new audience so hard they're gonna shoot for the 6 year old demographic? There are better answers to new variety and feel....
    You don't believe that a technology class would bring in a new audience considering that it is a theme currently absent from the lineup, and is a rather popular archetype in modern RPGs?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Oh it's you again. Can we get bans for spamming the same topic over and over again?

There won't be any new classes, get over it.
    Spamming? We haven't had a new class poll since 2019.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I mean, would it really be cool? There's two scenarios I envision when it comes to a new class. The first one is that the new class isn't original and feels too much like previous classes, just reskinned. It would be a waste of development resources and the effort could of been redirected towards existing specs. The second scenario is that the class is too unique with abilities that are creative and original. Like the previous scenario, that would take away from existing specs because those new unique abilities could of been utilized for preexisting classes.

There's only a handful of combinations and I feel like they've been exhausted with our current classes/specs. The only combination not tackled is a ranged tank. There's not a single boring class in the game and I feel like any resources spent towards classes should be spent on existing classes as opposed to new classes. What annoys me the most and this ties into my original post, is that most of the people asking for new classes haven't played endgame with every class/spec. It's like going into an ice cream store with 36 flavors and you've only tried 16 flavors. Instead of trying one of the 20 other flavors, you ask the owner if they can create a new flavor. The owner suggests you try the other flavors, but you reject his suggestion and say it would be "cool" to have a new flavor regardless.

Just try the other flavors before demanding a new class simply because it would be cool.
    Personally, I could see a technology-based class provide ranged tanking and mana-less healing, which could shake up the class lineup. Necromancers could provide a sinister healer via a Blood magic spec. Dragonsworn could allow players to be literal dragons. There's a lot of potential that new classes could provide across the board.

I mean, a technology class could utilize a literal tank;

The important thing is that new classes are needed in order to keep the vitality of the game going.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2021-08-29 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    Thanks @Teriz for including both of my concepts! ^.^

In terms of appeal and sales, I’d rank their likelihood as such:

1. Necromancer
    2. Dragonsworn
    3. Dark Ranger
    4. Tinker
    5. Bard
    Why is dragonsworn so high up on likelyhood?
    To me it feels like it's one of the less known "classes"... I don't think the masses know about them, I don't even do that except from these class threads. I'm not exactly involved in lore, but I'd like to think I have more info than the average player... so that masses would know about them is alien to me.

How prominent are they?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Why is dragonsworn so high up on likelyhood?
    To me it feels like it's one of the less known "classes"... I don't think the masses know about them, I don't even do that except from these class threads. I'm not exactly involved in lore, but I'd like to think I have more info than the average player... so that masses would know about them is alien to me.

How prominent are they?
    It's a class largely based on Wrathion, Chromie, Alexstraza utilizing mechanics from Chromie, Alexstraza, and Deathwing from HotS.

In a nutshell, you play a chromatic dragon disguised as a mortal, and you can mimic the power of various aspects. Swapping between these aspects works as the specializations of the class.

I think the idea of playing something akin to Wrathion appeals to a lot of people. I mean, who wouldn't want to play as a dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    It's been awhile since we've done one of these, and I wanted to see which class comes out on top after almost a year of Shadowlands, and with new class concepts like Dragonsworn, Night Warrior, and Bard taking hold.

Notes: Old Dragonsworn concept is more along the lines of the original Dragonsworn concept from the Tabletop games. New Dragonsworn on this list will be based on my Dragonsworn concept. Links to both can be found here.

Old Dragonsworn:
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Dragonsworn

New Dragonsworn:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...pt-2019-(long)

For the Bard and Necromancer, we can use @Amunrasonther's and @Ielenia's excellent concepts;

Bard:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-Class-Concept
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post51558844

Necromancer:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...cer-Hero-Class
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...er-Fan-Concept

For Tinker, you can use my class concept;

Tinker
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...pt-2018-(long)

Also I wanted to give Night Warrior fans an option as well, since that class has been suggested for some time.

Finally, there will be no "No future class" options in this poll. If you don't want a future class in WoW, you really shouldn't care about this thread.
    Bard. Over enough time there's no excuse for a mostly-high fantasy RPG setting not to have a bard.

Necromancer, whether people like it or not, has some redundancy because we have a class that raises zombies here and now.

Tinker, no. Stop. This will only encourage more gnome players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I mean, if the thread is just a good laugh and some banter, then sure, no harm no foul. But this realllly feels like the sort of thread we'll see linked to in some upcoming New Class discussion with the attached "As you can see, this is the most popular new class concept!"

Every single class poll I've seen has been massively flawed, yet they get bandied about as 'proof' that such and such a class is the most popular one around. If we are going to use something as largely flawed as a forum poll to gauge this sort of thing and get any real meaning out of it, we should at the very least ensure that the results aren't naturally skewed and there is at least *some* merit to how the poll is put together.
    You can argue that the polls are flawed, but at the same time, the polls have also been rather consistent. Even with this poll, the status quo hasn't really changed other than a new found interest in Bards and Dragonsworn, and a sagging interest in Dark Rangers. Outside of that, this poll (currently) is pretty much going on a similar path as similar polls on this forum. Is it fair to say that a concept is very popular if it wins in a variety of polls over and over again over a span of time?

It's a class largely based on Wrathion, Chromie, Alexstraza utilizing mechanics from Chromie, Alexstraza, and Deathwing from HotS.

In a nutshell, you play a chromatic dragon disguised as a mortal, and you can mimic the power of various aspects. Swapping between these aspects works as the specializations of the class.

I think the idea of playing something akin to Wrathion appeals to a lot of people. I mean, who wouldn't want to play as a dragon?
    That's not what I was talking about... I was talking about likelyhood based on appeal and sales.
    Which ties into how much of the class is KNOWN to the masses as well as any important lore characters that makes it stand out even more.
    Dragon aspects are portrayed as unique beings over certain aspects. Nothing of them shows that random heroes can do what they do. So they aren't exactly poster people for a dragonsworn class. Not in the likes of like Jaina for Mages, Sylvanas for Dark Ranger, Kel'Thuzad for necromancers etc etc.
    These helps the appeal for those classes to people who don't even know the lore... it helps with mass appeal.

So I ask again, how prominent are dragonsworn as a class in game? Are there any characters or any lore supporting it? I know there are some cultists in twilight bastion or those dungeons that turns into dragons, but that's not exactly portraying it that players will be able to do it. Cultists are usually seen as a "negative" thing as well, which doesn't help the appeal, and it's a rare event afaik. Which reduces appeal even further.

What inspiration someone uses to design the class is irrelevant to the question of appeal.
    To drive it even further... If blizzard did next expansion and then announced "Dragonsworn new class" I bet majority of people would be going "huh? What is a dragonsworn?"

meanwhile any other hero on that list, hell, even bards (though not prominent in wow, but is prominent in gaming) would be something people know what it is.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2021-08-29 at 11:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what I was talking about... I was talking about likelyhood based on appeal and sales.
    Which ties into how much of the class is KNOWN to the masses as well as any important lore characters that makes it stand out even more.
    Dragon aspects are portrayed as unique beings over certain aspects. Nothing of them shows that random heroes can do what they do. So they aren't exactly poster people for a dragonsworn class. Not in the likes of like Jaina for Mages, Sylvanas for Dark Ranger, Kel'Thuzad for necromancers etc etc.
    These helps the appeal for those classes to people who don't even know the lore... it helps with mass appeal.

So I ask again, how prominent are dragonsworn as a class in game? Are there any characters or any lore supporting it? I know there are some cultists in twilight bastion or those dungeons that turns into dragons, but that's not exactly portraying it that players will be able to do it. Cultists are usually seen as a "negative" thing as well, which doesn't help the appeal, and it's a rare event afaik. Which reduces likelyhood even further.

What inspiration someone uses to design the class is irrelevant to the question of appeal.
    To drive it even further... If blizzard did next expansion and then announced "Dragonsworn new class" I bet majority of people would be, huh? What is a dragonsworn?
    Okay, do you consider Wrathion and Chromie to be prominent WoW characters?

Additionally, there are a LOT of dragons just sitting around throughout Azeroth. There's like 3 dragons just sitting around Stormwind doing apparently nothing but watching portals, or guiding people around.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2021-08-29 at 11:32 AM.

Okay, do you consider Wrathion and Chromie to be prominent WoW characters?
    Right, i forgot it's you... ignoring most of the post.
    Yes they are, but nothing about them screams that it's something OTHERS can do. Dragons are portrayed as fairly unique in their attributes.

Which I already posted in the text you quoted...
    Nothing of them shows that random heroes can do what they do. So they aren't exactly poster people for a dragonsworn class.

I give you one more chance to actually read my posts and reply in full context. Won't reply otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, i forgot it's you... ignoring most of the post.
    Yes they are, but nothing about them screams that it's something OTHERS can do. Dragons are portrayed as fairly unique in their attributes.

Which I already posted in the text you quoted...
    Nothing of them shows that random heroes can do what they do. So they aren't exactly poster people for a dragonsworn class.

I give you one more chance to actually read my posts and reply in full context. Won't reply otherwise.
    I understand what you're saying, but the premise of that class is that the random hero IS a dragon. It's not an Orc, Gnome, Human, etc. It's a dragon disguised as one of those mortal races. Thus when it comes to a character class, it can play as any race because a dragon can disguise itself as any race. Your abilities allow you to enter and exit your true form, giving the player the feel that they're a dragon in disguise.

It's definitely something a bit different for the class lineup. However, Demon Hunters are Elf/Demon hybrids, and Death Knights are undead champions. This would be along those same lines.

I understand what you're saying, but the premise of that class is that the random hero IS a dragon. It's not an Orc, Gnome, Human, etc. It's a dragon disguised as one of those mortal races. Thus when it comes to a character class, it can play as any race because a dragon can disguise itself as any race. Your abilities allow you to enter and exit your true form, giving the player the feel that they're a dragon in disguise.

It's definitely something a bit different for the class lineup. However, Demon Hunters are Elf/Demon hybrids, and Death Knights are undead champions. This would be along those same lines.
    Which once again doesn't help with the "APPEAL AND SALES" part. Dragonsworn aren't as known as the others... I'm not talking about that they CAN'T be introduced or how it would be done. I'm literally just talking about how known they are, and how established Dragonsworns are.

Unless I'm missing something, hence my question at the start. "How prominent are dragonsworn?" How well known is it?. If it's not, then it lacks in the "appeal and sales" scale. Might have big appeal from more devoted fans, but for the masses? Doubt it... if blizzard were to announce it, i once again have to say that I think a lot of people would go "wtf is a dragonsworn?".

Side note: Why would Dragons be called Dragon"sworn"? To me that name implies someone who sworns their allegiance or loyalty to, in this case, dragons. By that allegiance and loyalty they have been awarded with some dragon skills and transformations. To me that makes more sense to the name of the class than the opposite... but that's just a side detail. Doesn't change that any race can be it either. Dragonflight might be better if we go for the inverse that they are dragons who disguises themselves, though it doesn't really sound like class.