Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Same here. OK seems like it's just waiting for the right time to lose, but damn if they don't hang on.
    Oklahoma hasn't lost in November since Riley took over in 2017. His teams have often started slow but finished strong, that's what gives me hope despite squeaking by in some ugly games.

Fox finally switched to the Oregon game. Heard the announcer saying Oregon has the best win of the season so far. Interesting comment.

Oregon sure is playing well so far. And by that I mean dominating a team we should be dominating.
    I'd say its the best win of a team in playoff contention. Best win overall I'd have to give to A&M beating Alabama in Tuscaloosca.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I'm not going to complain about the reviews, even though they played a major part in Michigan not putting the game away.

But, up 30-14 midway through the 3rd, offense clicking, defense clicking, you HAVE to put the game away at that point. Michigan didn't.

Same old story as previous years, when the pressure is on and Michigan needs an edge of any kind to turn the game, the team doesn;t show up, or shows up in a bad way.

That's on coaching, and Harbaugh might be having a better year and a more inspired team, but push comes to shove, the team still came up short.
    I don't really like Harbaugh but I'm rooting for UM to win the Big 10. So their path to the CCG is MSU losing to OSU and like Penn State or Purdue with UM winning out?
    Last edited by Captain Proton; 2021-10-30 at 08:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
    I don't really like Harbaugh but I'm rooting for UM to win the Big 10. So their path to the CCG is MSU losing to OSU and like Penn State or Purdue with UM winning out?
    MSU would have to lose BIG twice and Michigan's win over OSU would have to be convincing. Neither of those things seem at all likely.

At this point I need to see Michigan beat Penn State first before I'll consider anything positive about them. A big road win against Penn State and a loss by MSU in the next 2 weeks and then we'll talk.

Hopefully MSU gets too full of themselves this week and loses to Perdue on the road, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    MSU would have to lose BIG twice and Michigan's win over OSU would have to be convincing. Neither of those things seem at all likely.

At this point I need to see Michigan beat Penn State first before I'll consider anything positive about them. A big road win against Penn State and a loss by MSU in the next 2 weeks and then we'll talk.

Hopefully MSU gets too full of themselves this week and loses to Perdue on the road, but I doubt it.
    Oh right, ofc OSU's loss isn't a conference loss so you need both MSU and OSU to lose twice(with one being UM). Kind of crazy that Penn State hasn't played MSU, UM, or OSU yet. A lot can happen these final weeks.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oklahoma hasn't lost in November since Riley took over in 2017. His teams have often started slow but finished strong, that's what gives me hope despite squeaking by in some ugly games.

I'd say its the best win of a team in playoff contention. Best win overall I'd have to give to A&M beating Alabama in Tuscaloosca.
    OK is certainly looking good so far. Most of their wins have been within 7 points, so a nice blowout just before CFP rankings come out would be nice.

Agreed. That was so great to see 'Bama go down. Can't believe they are back to 3rd already.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh right, ofc OSU's loss isn't a conference loss so you need both MSU and OSU to lose twice(with one being UM). Kind of crazy that Penn State hasn't played MSU, UM, or OSU yet. A lot can happen these final weeks.
    Those final weeks in the Big10 are going to be crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Big-10 just crushed it's own larynx in losses today. Holy shit.

Well I guess if I had to make my top 4 after this week I’d go

1. Georgia
    2. Ohio State
    3. Alabama
    4. ?????

#4 could be Oklahoma (or Oklahoma State), Oregon, or possibly Wake Forest. It’ll be hard for Wake Forest though, because the ACC is ass cheeks this year, so even if they win out there’s probably one loss teams that can make a better case. Michigan State probably loses to Ohio State and Penn State, so they’re out. Same with Michigan. Ohio State beating Penn State was huge though, because that was probably their biggest obstacle. As long as they don’t screw up they should win out.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-10-31 at 08:34 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Well I guess if I had to make my top 4 after this week I’d go

1. Georgia
    2. Ohio State
    3. Alabama
    4. ?????

#4 could be Oklahoma (or Oklahoma State), Oregon, or possibly Wake Forest. It’ll be hard for Wake Forest though, because the ACC is ass cheeks this year, so even if they win out there’s probably one loss teams that can make a better case. Michigan State probably loses to Ohio State and Penn State, so they’re out. Same with Michigan. Ohio State beating Penn State was huge though, because that was probably their biggest obstacle. As long as they don’t screw up they should win out.
    The CFP coming out on Tuesday should be interesting. Your list above could, of course, be what they do. However, maybe not. Consider Alabama doesn't have any marquee wins - and they are a one-loss team. Making the top four would be a challenge. Georgia is an absolute shoe-in for the #1 slot, but I think that's all we'll know for sure.

Both Mich St and Oregon have better wins than both Alabama and Ohio State. OK is undefeated - and is a P5 team. It's interesting you don't think they would be in the mix.

I wonder if the committee will take the top four undefeated's and leave it at that.

1. Georgia
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Mich St
    4. Cincinnati

OK is the only undefeated team without a solid win in their column, but they are an undefeated P5 team, and the CFP usually likes that.

- - - Updated - - -

After Cincinnati's game against Tulane, I'm less inclined to put them in the top four. They played awfully against a shitty team in a shitty conference. I know I'm contradicting myself here a bit, so give me some leeway.

- - - Updated - - -

I've come fully around to the travesty that is Oregon being ranked below Ohio State, especially given same records.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gary Patterson has resigned, effective immediately. His choice, not the AD's. I think he was sick of dealing with the NIL stuff and having to compete financially with the bigger schools, and rumors are some SEC schools are bribing Zach Evans to xfer.

Im still pretty sad, because while this year was forgetable, he iss till a legendary coach and is one of, if not THE, greatest coach TCU has ever had.

Yeah true. Honestly like you said the only for sure lock at this point is probably Georgia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Gary Patterson has resigned, effective immediately. His choice, not the AD's. I think he was sick of dealing with the NIL stuff and having to compete financially with the bigger schools, and rumors are some SEC schools are bribing Zach Evans to xfer.

Im still pretty sad, because while this year was forgetable, he iss till a legendary coach and is one of, if not THE, greatest coach TCU has ever had.
    It probably doesn’t help that the Big 12 is about to fall in the shitter after Oklahoma and Texas leave. It’s already weak, and they’ll be losing their two best programs. And I’m sure some other Big 12 schools will get sniped like Kansas, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State.

It’s gonna end up being 4 super conferences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah true. Honestly like you said the only for sure lock at this point is probably Georgia.

- - - Updated - - -

It probably doesn’t help that the Big 12 is about to fall in the shitter after Oklahoma and Texas leave. It’s already weak, and they’ll be losing their two best programs. And I’m sure some other Big 12 schools will get sniped like Kansas, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State.

Pac 12 has already stated they didnt want to expand, and ACC / Big 10 dontrr seem interested either. Combine that with Big 12 adding 4 more schools and i think they're in a okayish spot for a while.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

They might not lose any more, the Big12 that is, and keep the five conferences going. Just now there will be a fight for the bottom between the ACC and the Big-12 (yes, the ACC - they are dead now that Clemson isn't doing their thing any more).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Pac 12 has already stated they didnt want to expand, and ACC / Big 10 dontrr seem interested either. Combine that with Big 12 adding 4 more schools and i think they're in a okayish spot for a while.
    I'm glad the pac-12 held fast. I hope no more expansions means the expanded CFP can go to 12 teams. That is still a sure fire way for everyone to win.

As a Notre Dame fan, just wanted to give Brian Kelly some appreciation. Yes, they haven't won the big one, but here's what they have done:

In each of the past 5 years, they've been in the top 10 at some point, lowest season ending ranking of 12
    3 top 5 finishes in 10 years

This is easily the best era they've had since Holtz. This year's team has a weakness at quarterback, but still a top 10 team.

And Kelly has built a solid identity that emphasizes ND's strengths (tight ends, offensive linemen) but more recently they've been able to get some of the athletes that Notre Dame typically isn't famous for getting. This year they have one of the best running backs in the country and their defense is led by a potential top 5 safety.

Yes, they've not won the big one, and they're typically not in Alabama or Ohio State's league. But to me, they are a qb away. They get an all world qb, and they have a prayer. I know that's a tall ask, but ask USC, Texas, or Michigan fans if they'd trade their situation for Notre Dame. Kelly has done a great job.

And if they don't get a qb (because I know those are rare) - ah well, we're in the mix every year, and that's fun.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-11-01 at 01:50 AM.

There's a lot of people assuming Alabama plays in the CCG, but they still have to play the Iron Bowl which is away for them. What happens if Auburn wins out? Would they put a 2 loss Auburn in? Auburn and Georgia?

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Fuck, now I have to go add the current AP and CFP rankings.

Also Cinci at 6. Gonna be fun to see the salt from @muto

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Fuck, now I have to go add the current AP and CFP rankings.

Also Cinci at 6. Gonna be fun to see the salt from @muto
    Why is that salt they aren't top 4? The playoff committee knows they would get blasted by the likes of Georgia, Alabama, and Oregon, which are all in the top 3. The only one I don't agree with is Michigan State, but they still have to play Ohio State, and Penn State, so we'll see. Same with Michigan.

Cincinnati needs help from multiple teams to make it. Like it has to be a literal shit storm of upsets.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a lot of people assuming Alabama plays in the CCG, but they still have to play the Iron Bowl which is away for them. What happens if Auburn wins out? Would they put a 2 loss Auburn in? Auburn and Georgia?
    64% chance according to this

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...yoff-predictor

I'd probably say it'd be 100% though, winning the SEC is pretty much a guaranteed spot.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-11-03 at 01:29 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Why is that salt they aren't top 4? The playoff committee knows they would get blasted by the likes of Georgia, Alabama, and Oregon, which are all in the top 3. The only one I don't agree with is Michigan State, but they still have to play Ohio State, and Penn State, so we'll see. Same with Michigan.

Cincinnati needs help from multiple teams to make it. Like it has to be a literal shit storm of upsets.

- - - Updated - - -

64% chance according to this

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...yoff-predictor

I'd probably say it'd be 100% though, winning the SEC is pretty much a guaranteed spot.
    All cinci needs is one bama loss and one B10 loss. Hardly a "upset shitstorm for the ages".

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit holy shit holy shit. Oregon got the #4 spot.

1 Georgia
    2 Alabama
    3 Michigan State
    4 Oregon

NO ONE saw this coming. I love seeing Mich St there, too. I can't argue with Alabama because whatever put them at #2 put Oregon at #4.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    All cinci needs is one bama loss and one B10 loss. Hardly a "upset shitstorm for the ages".
    Alabama would have to lose another regular season game, and the SEC Championship to not make it. If Alabama wins out and loses to an undefeated Georgia, they’re still in.

And there would have to be multiple upsets in the Big 10. Ohio State could probably lose another game, win the Big 10, and still make it for example.

Wake Forest, and Oklahoma both look better than Cincinnati if they finish undefeated too. And would likely get the nod over them for being from Power 5’s.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Man, these don't make any sense to me at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Alabama would have to lose another regular season game, and the SEC Championship to not make it. If Alabama wins out and loses to an undefeated Georgia, they’re still in.

And there would have to be multiple upsets in the Big 10. Ohio State could probably lose another game, win the Big 10, and still make it for example.

Wake Forest, and Oklahoma both look better than Cincinnati if they finish undefeated too. And would likely get the nod over them for being from Power 5’s.
    No way a 2-loss Ohio State tops a 1-loss Oregon. Not sure if I'm coming in at the right point in the conversation, apologies if I'm misunderstanding.

Man, these don't make any sense to me at all.

- - - Updated - - -

No way a 2-loss Ohio State tops a 1-loss Oregon. Not sure if I'm coming in at the right point in the conversation, apologies if I'm misunderstanding.
    No I think Oregon makes it no matter what if they win out based on the rankings.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    No I think Oregon makes it no matter what if they win out based on the rankings.
    Damn. I really thought Oregon would hit #6 at best. I'm genuinely shocked by those rankings. It's gotta be all the Ohio State win.