Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    And they simply disagree, and want to go back to the way it was before the pandemic.

- - - Updated - - -

So, if people were not "fine" with the way that the lunch program was going, why did it last for 75 years without that many changes?

That's the point. It sure seems like this wasn't a major issue, until now.
    A system not changing doesn't mean it's "working well" or that it's "fine"

it means entrenched interests have prevented it from changing.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Okay then why not raise taxes to 100% for the wealthiest people? If I thought it was morally acceptable to coerce money out of other people i'd just take away the billions of dollars that billionaires have and use it to buy lunch for kids.
    Stop threatening us with a good time.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I think we should go back to hunter-gather societies, those methods lasted for hundred of thousands of years and nobody tried to change them in that era so its clearly the superior way of living.

AnPrim gang rise up.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Because, once again, "before this" there wasn't an alternative. That's what the issue is.
    It was an alternative, but it never even came close to fruition.

"Free food" wasn't a novel concept.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    A system not changing doesn't mean it's "working well" or that it's "fine"

it means entrenched interests have prevented it from changing.
    A system not changing, and nobody making any fuss about it, indicates people didn't have any real problems with it. If they did, I sure as hell never heard about it.

A system not changing, and nobody making any fuss about it, indicates people didn't have any real problems with it. If they did, I sure as hell never heard about it.
    So, are you thus implying that a better, less bureaucracy-burdened, system came from nothing and was a spurious decision on behalf of the Biden administration?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

- - - Updated - - -

You having never seen anybody complain about it not the take you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladier View Post
    So, are you thus implying that a better, less bureaucracy-burdened, system came from nothing and was a spurious decision on behalf of the Biden administration?
    No, I'm saying that the old system isn't nearly the travesty that people seem to suddenly believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    You having never seen anybody complain about it not the take you think it is.
    Once again, read above.

No, I'm saying that the old system isn't nearly the travesty that people seem to suddenly believe.
    And you do that by making an argument from your own ignorance, declaring the concern of others to be spurious, because you couldn't find any evidence to this being a vocalized problem before the solution was implemented? But if it wasn't such a travesty, and the difference between then and now insignificant, why was an improvement even made?

And you do that for several pages of completely unconstructive messaging, the purpose of which, it seems to me, is solely to rile up an argument over nothing of substance?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladier View Post
    And you do that by making an argument from your own ignorance, declaring the concern of others to be spurious, because you couldn't find any evidence to this being a vocalized problem before the solution was implemented? But if it wasn't such a travesty, and the difference between then and now insignificant, why was an improvement even made?

And you do that for several pages of completely unconstructive messaging, the purpose of which, it seems to me, is solely to rile up an argument over nothing of substance?
    Once again, that's the point. I couldn't find all the outrage from the past decades, and I've monitored politics fairly closely for the past 20 years. It means the sudden outrage over returning to a policy people didn't seem to mind, makes me skeptical.

Do I prefer just giving kids free food? Yes, I do. Do I think the old plan was a travesty? Nope.

You are under no obligation to respond to me. If you don't want to drag this one, then don't.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-08-30 at 02:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i guess my state just felt it had to get itself in the news because it was getting jealous of florida and texas and all the other covid hotspots of getting all the attention. our districts lunch program is terrible. i don't think my district has the free lunch program. i think it uses the paid one and it's terrible they are insistent you pay for EVERY SINGLE LUNCH. we got spammed with calls over one alleged 'unpaid lunch' for months and months when it had been paid but they insisted it wasn't.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2021-08-30 at 03:57 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

It has come to fruition. Every other school district in the state is on Biden's plan.

It has come to fruition. Every other school district in the state is on Biden's plan.
    Great, they have, due to the pandemic.

This school district is on the American plan that has been used for 75 years.

Or maybe it didn't seem as bad as it is until they were presented with a better option...which is now being taken away.

Or maybe it didn't seem as bad as it is until they were presented with a better option...which is now being taken away.
    Yep, which is why I support keeping it the new way.

But, they chose not to, and they are going with the system people have been fine with for 75 years.

Yep, which is why I support keeping it the new way.

But, they chose not to, and they are going with the system people have been fine with for 75 years.
    But they aren't fine with it now.

Can that system ever be changed since it's been around for so long? Or did people born in the past say, 20 years, miss out on their chance since they weren't born 75 years ago to oppose it then?

But they aren't fine with it now.
    Great. So, we'll tell them to just think back to a couple years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Can that system ever be changed since it's been around for so long? Or did people born in the past say, 20 years, miss out on their chance since they weren't born 75 years ago to oppose it then?
    Of course it can be changed. People can also be outraged at this, and I can call them out for it.

Of course it can be changed. People can also be outraged at this, and I can call them out for it.
    For what? Not being born with the innate knowledge of this program? Not knowing the specific details their whole lives? Only recent learning about something and saying, "This thing I just learned about is bullshit!"?

This is peak Mr. Gotcha energy.

Great. So, we'll tell them to just think back to a couple years ago.

"Well you didn't hate it when there wasn't any other option on the table" is not a compelling argument.

I can just see you before the Civil War

"Seriously, Slavery's been a thing all this time...and now you have a problem with it? I call manufactured outrage!"

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    For what? Not being born with the innate knowledge of this program? Not knowing the specific details their whole lives? Only recent learning about something and saying, "This thing I just learned about is bullshit!"?

This is peak Mr. Gotcha energy.
    Like I said, this seems to be a lot of fuss over something that wasn't an issue a couple years ago.

This is peak manufactured outrage.

- - - Updated - - -

"Well you didn't hate it when there wasn't any other option on the table" is not a compelling argument.
    They had 75 years to change it.

That's the part that just seems manufactured.