Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    No its just another example of how the Freedumb party loves bureaucratic walls instead of simple efficiency. I would've thought that someone who loves freedom would hate the red tape solution. I guess not.
    This is something that has been there for literally decades, including under Democratic administrations. It seems clear most of the people in this thread didn't even read the story.

I have stated I have no real problem with allowing free lunches for all kids. I'm all for smaller government, but spending money on kids is a worthy venture. Do I need to repeat it, again?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This is something that has been there for literally decades, including under Democratic administrations. It seems clear most of the people in this thread didn't even read the story.

I have stated I have no real problem with allowing free lunches for all kids. I'm all for smaller government, but spending money on kids is a worthy venture. Do I need to repeat it, again?
    I read the story. Then I read:
    "Waukesha voted to return to the National School Lunch Program, which requires families to fill out an application"

And then I remembered:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...me-tax/619568/
    And:
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...andemic-483100

And that's the real issue.

PS The pandemic isn't over. Not even close. The people who want to end this program are also the same kind of people who make the pandemic worse.

"Waukesha voted to return to the National School Lunch Program, which requires families to fill out an application"

And then I remembered:
    And:

PS The pandemic isn't over. Not even close. The people who want to end this program are also the same kind of people who make the pandemic worse.
    Like I said, helping kids is a great thing. But, this isn't nearly as awful as people want to believe. The outrage is overblown. It's basically saying they are going back to the way things have been for decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Like I said, helping kids is a great thing. But, this isn't nearly as awful as people want to believe. The outrage is overblown. It's basically saying they are going back to the way things have been for decades.
    Which is a far worse system, but it hits the poor kids so it makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Which is a far worse system, but it hits the poor kids so it makes you happy.
    That's an outright lie. You'd know that, if you had read the comments.

If the system was so poor, then why didn't liberals fix it decades ago?

They. Fixed. It.

But keep defending bureaucrats. Mask fully off.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    They. Fixed. It.

But keep defending bureaucrats. Mask fully off.
    Maybe you should also read what I said. I have no problem giving free lunches to all kids. But, this isn't the travesty you think it is.

Feel free to keep being outraged at actually reading the story, and being reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

Because a lot of liberals don't give a fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Because a lot of liberals don't give a fuck?
    Well, take it up with them.

Maybe you should also read what I said. I have no problem giving free lunches to all kids. But, this isn't the travesty you think it is.

Feel free to keep being outraged at actually reading the story, and being reasonable.
    Looks at other thread.

So you are allowed to misinterpret what others say in a weak game of gotcha, but the rest of us can’t?

Funny that.

I just fucking hate my country.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

And then I remembered:
    And:

There shouldn't be any paperwork for kids to get lunches anyway. The whole point of that stupid paperwork is to prevent the few kids that go to a school that come from parents that are rich from getting a free lunch. If a kid wants a lunch, they should get one, no questions asked. If they went and got seconds, I could see that being an argument as there might not being enough food to go around because, like most things, people like to underfund things that aren't what they assume is the purpose of going to school for.

Decades ago the left wing party still had tonnes of racists in it.

Since then you have to elect a Democrat who's capable enough to fix it (not remotely a guarantee) and then all that work might get undone by the GOP. And the cycle repeats. Until a global pandemic comes along, tells everyone to pull their heads out of their ass and now we have to cross our fingers hoping for that a temporary fix becomes permanent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    There shouldn't be any paperwork for kids to get lunches anyway. The whole point of that stupid paperwork is to prevent the few kids that go to a school that come from parents that are rich from getting a free lunch.
    The whole point of the stupid paperwork is to prevent black families from accessing the program. The stated principle is very often not the actual principle.

Do people realize that the district is still using the standard free-lunch program that has been used for years and years?
    The program that has proven itself to fall far short of what is needed and which still allowed millions of kids to go hungry every day?

The issues with that program are multiple fold. It requires parents to deal with a fairly complicated bureaucracy to access it.

Many of these parents are too proud, too irresponsible or too poor to even do that.

Shocking I know.

That's why instead of punishing the kids for the shortcomings of their parents, we could just feed the damn kids once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The program that has proven itself to fall far short of what is needed and which still allowed millions of kids to go hungry every day?

The issues with that program are multiple fold. It requires parents to deal with a fairly complicated bureaucracy to access it.

Many of these parents are too proud, too irresponsible or too poor to even do that.

Shocking I know.

That's why instead of punishing the kids for the shortcomings of their parents, we could just feed the damn kids once a day.
    Nah, screw hungry children, besides they'll likely be shot in school. Also, there's no money for it. I'm sure the starving kids would much rather see Bezos launch his spaceship than get a sandwich. Hell, hunger is motivation.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    And it doesn’t help that the cost of food has risen since COVID, making it even more difficult for families to afford food.
    The root problem there is, like a lot of other problems, is that wages haven't kept up with costs and haven't' for decades. Ever since the right wing started peddling Trickle-Down economics no matter how many times it has failed to produce the promised economic growth.

Before then, wage growth for the lower/middle classes was about in line with the wage growth for executives. As soon as Reagan the Corrupt took office and cut the tax rates for the rich, however, wages for the rich skyrocketed while wages for everyone else stagnated.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Looks at other thread.

So you are allowed to misinterpret what others say in a weak game of gotcha, but the rest of us can’t?

Funny that.
    You mean where others didn't know the difference between income and wealth?

Yeah, that's not really my problem.

As for this topic, I was quite clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Decades ago the left wing party still had tonnes of racists in it.

Since then you have to elect a Democrat who's capable enough to fix it (not remotely a guarantee) and then all that work might get undone by the GOP. And the cycle repeats. Until a global pandemic comes along, tells everyone to pull their heads out of their ass and now we have to cross our fingers hoping for that a temporary fix becomes permanent.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole point of the stupid paperwork is to prevent black families from accessing the program. The stated principle is very often not the actual principle.
    This system has been around for ages, so it clearly wasn't bothering Democrats that much.

- - - Updated - - -

Shocking I know.

Why didn't Democrats fix it under Obama?

It's not fairly complicated, my kids' schools have long tried to get me to apply. It's a matter of filling out a form.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Cause ensuring that kids are eating lunch means they’re spoiled? Okay, Wisconsin

- - - Updated - - -

One of the problems with the free and reduced lunch program is that they don’t have to tell the applicant what the cut off is to be approved and can just deny a person without showing that number. So if a person is denied, who is struggling because of the pandemic, still has to pay for those lunches.

The program that Biden put forth is supposed to help families that are struggling during this pandemic. Instead, we have shit views like this who are stopping it: "I had three kids. I had them and so I'm going to feed them. I feel like that's the responsibility of the adult," Karin Rajnicek, a board member, said during a May meeting. "I feel like this is a big problem, and it's really easy to get sucked into and become spoiled and think, 'It's not my problem anymore — it's everyone else's problem to feed my children.”

- - - Updated - - -

And it doesn’t help that the cost of food has risen since COVID, making it even more difficult for families to afford food.
    Once again, f it was such a terrible plan, then why didn't progressives try and fix it all those years ago?

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, f it was such a terrible plan, then why didn't progressives try and fix it all those years ago?
    https://ballotpedia.org/Party_contro...ate_government

Progressives not having sustained control of the state is probably a factor. Republicans working to obstruct whenever they're not in power is kind of a key problem that contributes to every other problem that needs a solution.

As to why there wasn't a federal fix years ago, same thing applies once again. We're not going to get a lot of shit fixed unless we stop electing Republicans.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2021-08-29 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    https://ballotpedia.org/Party_contro...ate_government

Progressives not having sustained control of the state is probably a factor. Republicans working to obstruct whenever they're not in power is kind of a key problem that contributes to every other problem that needs a solution.
    It's a federal program, one that has been used for a long time.

Edit: It was implemented in 1946.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-08-29 at 07:50 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I honestly can't wrap my mind around the moral compass of "conservatives".
    They don't have one but leftists do not have a moral compass either. There's nothing moral about coercing money out of certain people in order to give it to certain other people. It is evil unless the lunch/money is freely given to public school students.
    What are you conserving?
    Voluntary choice in society. Everyone should help make sure everyone else is able to eat lunch to the best of their ability, but nobody should be forced into it against their will.