Poll: Should wow go f2p

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Well, with all those unsubs and so on, wow now have less players, and u can notice that walking around the game.

Isnt a good time to go f2p now? Doing that surely will bring more players to the game.

And no need to make p2w, blizz shop alone could make a big money to then.
    Rumored to be around 2 million active subs, other mmos would kill to have that number. Now guarantee $12 per month from a sub and you’re generating $25 million a year. My guess is that with all the service fees, people paying month to month, and mounts/toys etc it’s probably more like $20-$25 a month. That’s a huge amount of revenue still - no reason to think that a microtransaction based business model would eclipse that, especially not in WoW where end game is less cosmetics/open world and more challenging content

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Wow isn't pay 2 win, unless you stretch the definition very hard to fit your agenda.
    "Pay to win - a situation where the player can buy in-game content or in-game changes, with real money, that give the player a gameplay advantage or advance the player gameplaywise."

first link when you google pay 2 win....maybe you need to look up what it means without molding it to fit your own agenda?

3+ Year Old Account
    trust me you don't want this game to be swarmed by a certain southeast asian nationality
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

No, but they should let you experience more content in the trial version.

Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    No, f2p game gonna be flooded with gold sellers,bad kids, and cheep skins for mounts.

Woke up Alan, its already f2p.

1)gold sellers check
    2)bots check
    3)runs sellers check
    4)toxic kids check
    5)greedy ion check
    6)cheep mount skins check
    Pay to play is already filled with gold sellers. 15$ or 200k a month is really nothing when their bots are running 24/7 farming gold.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teucer View Post
    Rumored to be around 2 million active subs, other mmos would kill to have that number. Now guarantee $12 per month from a sub and you’re generating $25 million a year.
    That's per month, not year.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I think it's time to at least contemplate what that would look like. There are but-to-play models out there like GW2 that are B2P and don't provide power gear in the store. There are a lot more MMO's with harsher revenue models but I changed my mind during BFA that B2P might be a better look for them. I'm not saying it should happen now but it wouldn't kill them to give it some serious thought. Given that a great deal of the revenue from the game is coming from expansion sales and services it's not unthinkable.
    I totally agree, b2p could be good, but Activision+ shareholder pressure would ruin B2P. Even in GW2, which is touted by many as the best b2p game, there are SERIOUS issues with the in game shop & how it influences player behavior.

No, it should not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinaa View Post
    I totally agree, b2p could be good, but Activision+ shareholder pressure would ruin B2P. Even in GW2, which is touted by many as the best b2p game, there are SERIOUS issues with the in game shop & how it influences player behavior.
    can you tell me how gw2 cash shop is influencing player behavior any worse than wow one?

I don't think Blizzard's production output, neither in quantity nor quality, warrants them being B2P, P2P, S4P, while also having macro transactions on the shop and frankly strong(ly ignored) P2W elements. They could easily scrap the (ludircrous) service costs (which often are only neccessary because of their failure) or the monthly substriction. They only get away with it because of tradition and people not questioning it. The overly thin stretched content we get every 5-8 months certainly doesn't warrant a monthly subscription.

They could also just trade in the subscription for a season pass. It's already halfway there with the way 6 month subs are structured, but then at least they only get a fixed amount of money per season and content draughts earn them nothing extra.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't have voted F2P, as I'd rather the game just not be P2P. F2P would indeed just give them more excuses to be even bigger scumbags than that lot already is.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-08-31 at 11:34 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    That is a job, you are essentially working for Blizzard at that point. It is in no way free to play.
    I've been playing WoW for 'free' ever since the introduction of the Token, and I've been easily affording it from a few minutes of auctioning stuff thrown up for the weekends (primarily vanity stuff) and raid nights [Wednesdays and Sundays, half hour before 8pm] (consumables [runes, pots&flasks, and foods])... made plenty to cap out my Battle.net Balance at €250 with an excess of 10 more Tokens and a few million gold to spare still.

I never bothered with constant undercutting, just the initial and left it there.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-08-30 at 08:01 AM.

If you look at it from a business point of view, then the constant donations to the game is good.
    But if you look at it from the point of view of the consumer, then as for me not very when for any improvement you have to pay.

If you want plenty of P2W/DLC and enormous amount of gold farmers?

Yeah... No, thanks.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    Free-to-play would kill WoW as we know it today.

Unless of course you really like grinding, micro-transations, pay-to-win, reduced functionality and so and so forth.
    its already p2w if u can buy everything for gold moreover i decide to quit wow due no response against bots. Private servers are more blizzlike than retail and clasisc now and its sad

Any thing that increases the chance of more power being available for purchase through blizz store is a good idea.

The current WoW token —-> gold —-> find booster —-> having to participate in the run and loot still being RnG is quite the tedious thing.

Having it directly from store without the boosters would be nice.

So gogo F2P

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Hastis View Post
    its already p2w if u can buy everything for gold
    then it was p2w since vanila, so nothing changed

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Well, with all those unsubs and so on, wow now have less players, and u can notice that walking around the game.

Isnt a good time to go f2p now? Doing that surely will bring more players to the game.

And no need to make p2w, blizz shop alone could make a big money to then.
    Why would they? Even with the lost players they have more players than nearly every other MMO.

Also the moment you go F2P the MTX will be waaaaaaay worse. Like every other F2P games. Wow is, despite all the moaning, still rather tame with their MTX.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think WoW is quite in the dire straits to rip that cord just yet. I am sure eventually it will be B2P + premium, but it's probably at least a good few years off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinaa View Post
    I don't think shareholders—85% of the stock is owned by institutional entities like pension funds—care one little bit. WoW is at this point a rather small portion of ATVI's revenue. It's dwarfed by CoD and both are entirely dwarfed by King (Candy Crush). It would be a leap of faith for Blizzard to do it but 1) their monthly active users would likely climb by quite a lot and 2) most of the revenue from the game is already in services and expansion sales. All things considered the MAU gain by going B2P would likely overshadow the revenue piece. Even with that the revenue might be OK as well. The world has changed over the last few years and F2P games are generating enormous amounts of money out of their stores and game services.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-08-30 at 08:33 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by srambo View Post
    "Pay to win - a situation where the player can buy in-game content or in-game changes, with real money, that give the player a gameplay advantage or advance the player gameplaywise."

first link when you google pay 2 win....maybe you need to look up what it means without molding it to fit your own agenda?
    Yes so if I'm 10/10M already and have all my CM ports what power/advancement is there for me to buy from the game? Carries don't guarantee drops no matter how many funnels you pay for so even my missing BIS pieces can't really be bought.

Does this mean the game is P2W for some but not others? or just not at all because the only thing you do when you "buy gold" is pay for some one else's sub and they give you gold in return. Gold is not generated when you buy a token, there is only a $5 middleman charge blizzard takes for facilitating the transaction.