Poll: Should wow go f2p

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Wow will go free to play when the amount of players have dropped that the income loss from subs will be offset greatly by the income of the in-game shop. If they think enough people will come back and buy for stuff... then you'll see it.

Though by that point I think they have to do tons of layoffs as well... however, people will still crave the content, don't think F2P would make people not expect new content and more.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Well, with all those unsubs and so on, wow now have less players, and u can notice that walking around the game.

Isnt a good time to go f2p now? Doing that surely will bring more players to the game.

And no need to make p2w, blizz shop alone could make a big money to then.
    F2P is a death sentence really.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    then it was p2w since vanila, so nothing changed
    in vanilla buying gold was illegal and if found you got banned for it.....now its legally sold by the company so everyone is free to just pay 2 win freely and legally in a click of the button = huuuge increase in gold buying and boosting.

Gods no. That will be the end of the game.

Every game that went F2P either introduced ridiculous differences between playing for free and subbing or introduced a cash shop that suddenly became the focus of the game's dev team, with all other content only happening sporadicly.
    Not to mention that the sub acts as a floodgate for all the really terrible people on the internet and this community really doesn't need more terrible people. It's bad enough that people that haven't played the game in years are allowed to spew their uninformed nonesense about the state of the game here, we really don't need them in game too.

Quote Originally Posted by srambo View Post
    in vanilla buying gold was illegal and if found you got banned for it.....
    first of all, im soo tired of people using word "illegal", it was NEVER illegal, it was against TOS, which people dont give two fucks about and never did, just check any article about thousands of people geting banned for things like misusing bug to get artifact power in legion or exp potion or whatnot, or google for a few minutes and youll find people selling their accounts... people NEVER cared about the rules...

and please, i was in a guild that was seling gold/boosts/items since vanila for over a decade, never even heard about anyone getting a ban...
    blizzard was against "shady" people, as they were phishing for data and hacking accounts, if you sold gold you gained by playing they didnt give a fuck...
    thats why they introduce token, bcs they needed to make it safer and there was just soo much people buying and selling gold they couldnt ban them or they would kill their own game...

- - - Updated - - -

now its legally sold by the company
    well, its not, its still sold by people blizz just get their cut...

- - - Updated - - -

huuuge increase in gold buying and boosting.
    eh... gold buying? maybe, debatable, as now its soo much easier to get gold ingame

increase in boosting? nope, thats due to different things:
    1. m+, couldnt be sold before obviously, same for torghast and other similar venues
    2. raids could be run only ONCE a week, now you can run it 541365432554123 times, you just wont get loot, but you can still boost people
    3. cross-realm changes

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    F2P is a death sentence really.
    Not really. I actually think waaaaaaay more people are going to play it then.

But it will be a different game. Easier. With QoL MTX left and right. Huge grinds you can offset with paying etcpp.

Game will survive for a long time. Look at Swtor. Going F2P with sub option saved them. It is the last resort of failing MMOs. Give up the game identity for players who pay for MTX but not subs. Hugly profitable.

BTW: I do NOT want that! I just think from a monetary position it is the best option at a certain point. But wow is not even close to get to that point.

first of all, im soo tired of people using word "illegal", it was NEVER illegal, it was against TOS, which people dont give two fucks about and never did, just check any article about thousands of people geting banned for things like misusing bug to get artifact power in legion or exp potion or whatnot, or google for a few minutes and youll find people selling their accounts... people NEVER cared about the rules...

and please, i was in a guild that was seling gold/boosts/items since vanila for over a decade, never even heard about anyone getting a ban...
    blizzard was against "shady" people, as they were phishing for data and hacking accounts, if you sold gold you gained by playing they didnt give a fuck...
    thats why they introduce token, bcs they needed to make it safer and there was just soo much people buying and selling gold they couldnt ban them or they would kill their own game...

- - - Updated - - -

well, its not, its still sold by people blizz just get their cut...

- - - Updated - - -

eh... gold buying? maybe, debatable, as now its soo much easier to get gold ingame

increase in boosting? nope, thats due to different things:
    1. m+, couldnt be sold before obviously, same for torghast and other similar venues
    2. raids could be run only ONCE a week, now you can run it 541365432554123 times, you just wont get loot, but you can still boost people
    3. cross-realm changes
    i kinda feel you are pretending to be dumb just so you can write something to oppose me....illegal...yes...whats the problem with illegal gold selling? half of your post is about a term illegal who gives 2 fucks about if you say illegal or against tos whats the difference?

people not being banned is saying blizzard didnt give 2 f then as well .... again, totally irrelevant to the point im making and that is if you say its illegal (oh sorry, i ment AGAINT TOS, there....better?) or your sell/make the transaction possible over your store then selling and buying of the gold will increase 10 fold than if its over 3rd party "against tos" (not illegal god forbid) gold seller

so your next point is its easy now to get gold in game so people aren't buying it? o yea for sure no one is buying tokens..noone....while were at it, theres probably no boosting or p2w in wow as well

and theres nooo increase in boosting since token...nope....and also there are no adds in lfg selling boosts cuz....they are not possible to monetize as you say

yup...everything is just fine here *big hit of copium*

srsly bro get your head out of your ass....i know you like the game, but face the facts...you are playing a pay 2 win peace of sh where no achievements matter at all anymore since they can be bought for real mon ey, a game that is getting less and less content each expansion and for which you pay a box price and a monthly sub for as well.....and saddest thing of all is, a game you are PASSIONATLY defending no matter how hard they freck you over.....face....the....facts
    Last edited by srambo; 2021-08-30 at 10:20 AM.

I don't think the current WoW is really set up for f2p in terms of gaining any significant new retention of players. Would it incite more people who played in the past? to some degree sure. But the F2P switch will only be hit when thats a surefire way for a significant increase in new blood and the money that comes with it.

Like look at what you get in wow if you never played before today:
    -make a character
    -get sent to exiles reach with every character after that giving you a popup of two locations and no other info
    -do exiles solo tutorial
    -okay now its time to folow this po up to battle for azeroth, there is a giant sword in the world that you might not ever see or hear about causing crystals to burst out the ground and this is lead to a war you might level out of the post launch campaign of and never actually see
    -okay you hit 50 if you didn't get bored and now its time to port you off to this "icecrown" place you have never seen before to step into a portal to the afterlife?
    -now do another linear questline through these four floating bowls in space while characters you don't know tell you to go to torghast to rescure these characters who bar jaina for alliance players you probably have never heard of or met but are told are important. For the rest of the .0 experience they will sit in Oribos doing nothing at all.
    -you hit level cap now its time for dungeon finder spam, lfr, the vault and pvp, dont forget spamming your world quests.
    -what do you mean "thats it?" that'll 15 dollars a month.

They dont appear to be getting any new blood in significant numbers with this new user experience as a sub model game and while no sub will make more power through it no doubt i don't think the current model that seems designed for existing players to treat the game like a looter where you roll a new alt and get it to cap in a day for an endgame grind has the same allure to a new player. To say nothing of the issues of the current model giving them a horrible easing into the world itself thus making it hard to get invested.

F2P has probably been workshopped since Warlords on the backburner but the current model of game needs a drastic overhaul and more evergreen content to try it.

5+ Year Old Account
    then it was p2w since vanila, so nothing changed
    it changed cuz blizzard approved it by giving players way to buy gold ingame not using some fishy sites, just look at tbc classic right now, i dont have anyone to lvl with cuz everywhere are only bots

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    Free-to-play would kill WoW as we know it today.

Unless of course you really like grinding, micro-transations, pay-to-win, reduced functionality and so and so forth.
    Its funny because it blatantly ignorant of the state of wow.
    Currrent wow is more grindy than some gacha games, hell gachas give you some auto-completion for old content, wow wants you to manually grind the same shit, wow has mico-transactions with cahsshop and pay2win over token. Everything you fear is already present.

Well, with all those unsubs and so on, wow now have less players, and u can notice that walking around the game.

Isnt a good time to go f2p now? Doing that surely will bring more players to the game.

Sure, with the wow token in the game it doesnt really matter at this point. Go freebie and make us buy battle passes. Its going to be great.

Seriously - I rather pay monthly subs for the period im playing, than 40 dollars now and then for content I dont know will be worth it for months.

also the holy trinity - token, bots and boosters

why are there so many bots goin rampart? blizzard doesnt ban them because they are the ones "printing" gold that you get when you turn in your token- they also pay for a sub. its win win for blizzard. without bots you cant have enough gold to make insane profits = you dont ban bots.

boosters are here that currently cost insane amounts of gold as a gold sink making you have to buy hefty amount of tokens = huuuge cash for blizzard

in short, you can say its called totally selling the integrity of your game out, and trying to mask your trail that its not you directly selling the gold. and that kind of manipulation of your customers is even more disgusting.

the result is the game is being designed with optimization of gold/token selling in mind, a big "frick you" to the average player that "only" pays the box price and sub and doesnt want to boost.
    Last edited by srambo; 2021-08-30 at 10:14 AM.

Yes, if they're going to keep doing the garbage that they're doing then yes. It's an almost 20year MMO owned by a billion dollar company acting like a 1year MMO and a indie company it's not a meme. When thousands of players beta test the game and give feedback and they ignore the feedback only to add it in a year later, when they constantly ignore the majority for the minority, when they constantly keep releasing their expansions in beta form, yes it should be free to play

They haven't earned that 15$ a month for a long time. Idiots are always saying stupid shit like "Durr that 15$ monthly fee is for server costs and updates to the game" First off, servers cost barely anything. Secondly yes, that monthly fee is for UPDATES which are important in an MMO like WoW where the expansion releases only 10% of the content. Unlike FFXIV where the entire story and expansion is released on release day and they ADD IN content over time, unlike WoW that releases bits and pieces over time to milk the players.

When they constantly go 8-10months without any new content, they don't deserve a monthly fee.

They should do what SWTOR does, Free to play with a sub option that offers benefits.

No. When wow go f2p, thats the day i cancel my account and never look back. I see a lot of people think that wow should go free to play, but they don't get that the same game they play now, is not the same game they would get if it was free to play, If the game was exactly like now and they went f2p, sure, but thats never gonna happen. They make the game to make money, not a charity to give us entertainment

First of all. Every single mount and cool transmog etc would end up in the store. Nothing would ever drop anymore. They would probably do other shit to make up the lost sub revenue, like adding dungeon caps. Can only do 3 m+ per week. Buy a pass to get more. Shit like this

Second of all. Botting, hackers and outright toxic assholes no longer have any paywall to keep them out. Game would be litteraly trash.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Second of all. Botting, hackers and outright toxic assholes no longer have any paywall to keep them out. Game would be litteraly trash.
    keep the box price, remove the sub.....that keeps cheaters and harassers in check.....you fuck up.....account perma ban...new account? 50€

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    what else can they sell that you cant already get? rank 1 title directly? removing the sub would at least revitalize the game and bring alot of players back into the game. who wants to play in a fantasy world that has as you say a smaller cash shop but where there are no people to play with? game is already milked so hard in mtx people quit just because of that, they refuse paying a sub while getting frecked by p2w as well.
    Just look at the FFxiv shop for example they got things like emotes customization options housing items dyes, as well as having far far more armour sets mounts and pets in there shop.
    https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/en-us/

Then there’s the swtor shop which has a ton of rare things stuffed into loot boxes.

I’d much rather have a smaller player base which would be realistic unnoticed with some server merges then have wow take either approach and expand the shop.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

No.

Next question
    SorryNotSorry

I want WoW to be BETTER, not free.

I don't care about $15 a month. I care about getting a game actually worth playing.

We just need to answer several questions:
    1) Do we still have high quality support and community managers?
    2) Are our money still invested into high quantity/quality content?
    3) Are we still protected from "greed"/P2W mechanics?

Keeping sub fee in so low quality game is the same problem, as leaking personal data and watching ads in paid programs. This guys start to "mix" payment models and we are stupid enough to allow them to do it.

I.e. game already has F2P level of quality, but still tries to milk sub fee on a top of their "microtransactions". So turning it to F2P wouldn't change anything.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-08-30 at 01:32 PM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Well the nice thing about a subscription based game used to be "Pay once a month, no bullshit for the duration of it.".

And since that's really not the case anymore with all the services that have pretty much become necessary due to the mismanagement of i.e. server imbalances, as well as the addition of buyable gold and insanely priced in-game mounts i see no reason for it not to go F2Play, from a player's perspective of course.

Whether it will happen is a different story however, the value of anything is for a large part dependant on what a fool would give for it.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.