Poll: Should wow go f2p

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It likely should with how p2w it is but I doubt it ever will.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    By doing what? Name me ten people who paid to win. Should be easy. Show me ten people who didn't play the game, who didn't raid, or PVP, or anything like that, but just swiped a credit card and won the entire game.
    Gimme couple of mins while I hack at Blizzard's customer DB and I'll get you those names
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

This would be the absolute worst thing that could happen to the game. It'd solve nothing and just make the game objectively worse so that a few angry ex-WoW players can have the satisfaction of feeling like their negative opinions of the game have been validated.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that would be the absolute way to kill itself.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

oh the monthly f2p thread... If you cant afford it, don't play it!

Yes, because we are currently pay $15/m to beta test for the final patch that fixes all the problems.

Remember, you are providing PAID beta testing. YOU are PAYING a FEE to TEST their product.

I'll pay a sub till the end of time. F2P? Fuck that, I'm out.

If wow went f2p it would significantly increase the rate at which people are leaving. All the wow killers went f2p in their death throes. So people are accustomed to a game going f2p = dead game dont waste your time.

Yeah, that would be the best thing they could do is go F2P, because I'd finally quit.

With Blizz having their balls firmly grabbed by China, the game would be more expensive as a f2p mmo

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    That is a job, you are essentially working for Blizzard at that point. It is in no way free to play.
    Just playing the game nets enough to buy a token in many cases. I don't farm gold and rarely post things on the AH. I also have spent a penny of mine on the game since WoD.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I have been a diehard WoW player for all 16.8 years of its existence. I have never even played any other MMORPG. That is going to change on September 28th with the release of 'New World'. I'm going to give it a try. I hope it's a success; we'll see. If it is, if it has regular content releases, regular updates that improve on the game, responsive and hands-on customer support, and a shop that stays purely cosmetic without overbloating, then I will start to seriously question WoW's subscription fee.

I would be lying if I said that I don't feel a little burned paying to buy a game and then paying every month to play the game I bought when content updates are few and far between, when developers pretend to value player feedback but ignore everything the players say to do their own thing anyway, only to then make the changes the players had suggested originally a patch or two later, when customer support is virtually non-existent and left to automated messages and systems that create a host of additional problems, and when the content we do get is half-assed; i.e. one raid, one dungeon, one daily quest hub with its principle design being arduous grinds coupled with RNG made simply to maintain MAUs, no new battlegrounds, and uninspired armor type-wide appearances.

It should. I remember when sub meant that there were little to no bots, now sub means there is a fk ton of them and Blizz is not willing to do sht about it because... why would they when people buying a burner acc+char boost+sub are their most profitable customers?

Besides, classic ain't undergoing any major development and many people don't care about the other version of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    You can't buy advantage over others, nor power, with real money in WoW. The only thing you can buy are cosmetics. You can also buy gold, which you can then use to pay players to help you get different things. This has existed prior to there being an official way to buy gold through tokens.

If you want to stretch the definition so much, then any game with economy and player-to-player trading is pay to win, because you can always buy the main currency for real life currency in them, and then pay someone to boost you through content. It's not a "pay to win mechanic" introduced by the devs themselves. It's a result of there being free market in the game.

Pretending that the inclusion of wow token is some kind of a pay to win mechanic specifically added by Blizzard for that purpose only started recently and is mostly a counter-argument to people (rightfully) bringing up that the cash shop in FF14 is much more egregious than the one in WoW. This in turn is a result of people who now hypocritically jumped to FF14 after years of shitting on wow for having cosmetic MTX. Wow token does not make the game any more 'pay to win' than it has always been, so unless you want to claim that wow has been pay to win since Vanilla, you are full of shit.
    you can ignore it all you want, but in wow people massivley buy tons of tokens to get gold to buy boosts and basically pay to acquire items they would not otherwise get if they have not invested cash into tokens. and its one thing if you buy it from an illegal gold seller that should of been banned (same as the gold buyer), and its a totally different story if the company legally puts the option to buy gold over their store, doesnt mind boosting, and i would even say designs unreachable gates for gear that are only obtainable by buying tokens and boosting. if you have a legal way of obtaining gold you can be sure its gonna be 10 times more gold sold and bought, and 10 times more boosts and your games integrity is sold out since everyone can buy almost any achievement in game. you can turn a blind eye all you want, wow is one of the most dirty p2w games out there considering you also pay a box prica and a monthly sub for it.
    Last edited by srambo; 2021-08-31 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by srambo View Post
    you can ignore it all you want, but in wow people massivley buy tons of tokens to get gold to buy boosts and basically pay to acquire items they would not otherwise get if they have not invested cash into tokens. and its one thing if you buy it from an illegal gold seller that should of been banned (same as the gold buyer), and its a totally different story if the company legally puts the option to buy gold over their store, doesnt mind boosting, and i would even say designs unreachable gates for gear that are only obtainable by buying tokens and boosting. if you have a legal way of obtaining gold you can be sure its gonna be 10 times more gold sold and bought, and 10 times more boosts and your games integrity is sold out since everyone can buy almost any achievement in game. you can turn a blind eye all you want, wow is one of the most dirty p2w games out there considering you also pay a box prica and a monthly sub for it.
    I'm not turning blind eye nor ignoring anything. There are people who will always try to buy their way to success in some way, and the only way to get rid of that is to tightly limit player trading or disable it completely, which destroys the game much more than the real world trading / boosting ever does. The old RS2 and its removal of free trade is a great example of that. If you have economy in the game, people will do shady stuff to get shortcuts to things they want.

So by your defition, any mmorpg is a "dirty" pay to win. You can literally do the same thing in any game with player-to-player economy, which is by the way something present by-design in any good mmorpg. The only difference is that the money goes to Blizzard instead of scumbags who hire workers from poor countries to force them to farm gold for jack shit while cashing in most of the earnings.

Banning every RWT/RMTer? Sounds good on paper, but is flat out impossible in any game with a bigger populace because it would require manual review of each case (to avoid banning people who are just lending money to each other).
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by srambo View Post
    If you just stop obsessing over those 5 people out of millions that actually spend 500 bucks to get some achievements nobody cares about. You get a raid achievement for the accomplishment. If someone uses a roundabout way to get is easy that dimishes their accomplishment BUT DOES NOT LESSEN YOURS. You can still be proud about what you did. And that's having fun in a game. Not obsessing about what other people may or may not be doing. 95% of all players never see a raid anyway, your little bubble might seem so important but most of the -happily paying subscription- players are just fecking about in a huge world, picking herbs and fighting pets. And they have every right to do so.

sure guys there are no boosts in wow at all....no pay to win....all those bots you see are just for show there they aint there to sell for peoples tokens.....everything is juuuust fine

*big hit of copium*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    So by your defition, any mmorpg is a "dirty" pay to win. You can literally do the same thing in any game with player-to-player economy, which is by the way something present by-design in any good mmorpg. The only difference is that the money goes to Blizzard instead of scumbags who hire workers from poor countries to force them to farm gold for jack shit while cashing in most of the earnings.
    maybe read what i write before just repeating yourself like a parrot? what other fantasy mmo besides wow flat out sells you gold for cash while asking for a box price for each expanison and a subscription fee every month? and then read that that action by itself increases gold selling and buying 10 times.....when something is against tos....people do it MUCH LESS.....when you can safely swipe your credit card direct to blizzard and not to som e shady chinese site, everyone is gonna just do it.....and everyone is gonna boost.....and in the end you have people like you defending the sh out of it.....no wonder wow is in a state it is.....they know they have bozos that will pay for any sheet they serve them, and ev en defend it no matter how hard they are gettin frickied over
    Last edited by srambo; 2021-08-31 at 10:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If u think botting is a problem now, just wait till it goes F2P, then it REALLY kicks into high gear with botting.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

not really....every bot grinds out his token for his sub really fast....and there are so many bots now because they are the ones that are grinding all the gold out for the token market so blizzard doesnt want to ban them since they are basically providing the comodity that makes them tons of cash.....and yes, wow should be just box price without a sub so banning someones account does have an impact. totally f2p for wow wouldnt work.....botting would not be a problem if they had one person banning them on each server...but lets face it, they dont care if you have bots in your game or not ruining your immersion, experience or totally crashing the economy....they dont care about you, they only care about their dollar....and as we see from this topic, there are plenty of people that gladly pay for that kind of treatment so why shouldnt they right
    Last edited by srambo; 2021-08-31 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Well, with all those unsubs and so on, wow now have less players, and u can notice that walking around the game.

Isnt a good time to go f2p now? Doing that surely will bring more players to the game.

And no need to make p2w, blizz shop alone could make a big money to then.
    Where's your evidence of "all these unsubs"? If anything the recent changes are just to help counteract the bad press from the lawsuit. Blizzard hasn't released sub numbers in a very long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Meow View Post
    It’s free to play if you purchase a WoW Token from golds.
    It isn't from the Blizzard perspective as they're still getting a monthly sub at the highest rate just not from you. Using the token is the same to Blizzard as if you had a parent or a sugar parent paying for you to play.