Poll: Should wow go f2p

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Question Should wow go free to play?

Well, with all those unsubs and so on, wow now have less players, and u can notice that walking around the game.

Isnt a good time to go f2p now? Doing that surely will bring more players to the game.

And no need to make p2w, blizz shop alone could make a big money to then.

i think F2P is the end of wow if and when it happens
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity2015 View Post
    i think F2P is the end of wow if and when it happens
    Nope, they would simply add battle passes for bonus content and sell more cosmetics on the store. Tokens already ruined WoW in many ways when they introduced them.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

15+ Year Old Account
    It’s free to play if you purchase a WoW Token from golds.

Quote Originally Posted by Meow View Post
    It’s free to play if you purchase a WoW Token from golds.
    That is a job, you are essentially working for Blizzard at that point. It is in no way free to play.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    That is a job, you are essentially working for Blizzard at that point. It is in no way free to play.
    It’s just a medium. For other F2P games it’s the same as a job to grind for playing for free.

No. Because I am too poor to play free games as Chinese producers imagine it.

Free-to-play would kill WoW as we know it today.

Unless of course you really like grinding, micro-transations, pay-to-win, reduced functionality and so and so forth.

Yes it should. It would be another nail in the coffin for them. In fact it should degrade even further and go pay to win, with an expanded cash shop offering things like raid gear, previously-unobtainable mounts, and boosts like instant renown 80.

I'm not saying they'd be good changes. I'm just imagining the hilarious fallout that would ensue from such a move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    no, but it could help to get rid of the token
    love WoWarcraft

No, but buy to play wouldn't be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Nope, they would simply add battle passes for bonus content and sell more cosmetics on the store. Tokens already ruined WoW in many ways when they introduced them.
    if WoW went F2P they'd start creating classes/races that are only obtainable with money. Heavy issue of new transmogs, mounts, pets, toys like you said as well, probably new ones weekly.

But the pay to play classes and races will be an inevitable outcome, the competitive edge always goes up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post

Unless of course you really like grinding, micro-transations, pay-to-win, reduced functionality and so and so forth.
    I'd say people currently playing Retail already get those things.

But they also gladly pay monthly. So, to the OP, not until they stop paying for it.

If anything; they should get rid of the pay to win options in the game and get rid of the cash shop, but Blizz already opened that toxic moral hazard so it's not going away. Later if they save the game with content that is made to be fun, not to push people towards the cash grab shop, they can raise the monthly price of the game and the players that make the game a better social experience will stay.

I'm at the point where i don't care.

Though F2P will make things substantially worse, no doubt. It will mean a decrease on content support without the regular revenue stream and even more malpractices.

It would just make it easier to stop playing, for me.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-08-30 at 01:28 PM.

I’d be fine with keeping the sub if it meant that we get quality content on a proper schedule which is something they haven’t delivered yet in this expansion. Nothing seems to warrant the sub yet, not even for server maintenance which there shouldn’t even be that many off. Being buy to play would be the better option with maybe having the sub optional (for faster XP, cheaper services, not locking cosmetics and such behind).

All things you mentioned you get in current retail wow plus you pay a box + monthly sub for it.

What exactly dou you get in wow with your box + monthly sub compared to a free to play game?

More regular content? nope the content is less and less frequent each expansion

Game investing into gms and policies to regulate bots/hackers/cheaters? nope basically no support in this game bots are running wild

No pay to win? hell no everything is payable for in this game with gold for token and game is designed around stimulating boosting

no cash shop? nope cash shop is basically identical and in alot of cases even worse than most free to play games

less grinding more fun? nope most of the content is just a repeatable uninventive grind same type as last 10 years....play same boring content over and over to earn better and better prizes.

i really dont know what is there to be "killed" in wow as we know it today, as it has already been butchered beyond recognition with monetary practices that are spitting in the face of the few remaining loyal customers.
    Last edited by srambo; 2021-08-30 at 02:19 AM.

5+ Year Old Account

We're almost there though. The game is essentially P2W now, or at least it has heavy P2W elements.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I see no real reason to go f2p, as the subscription model isn't what's killing wow. Most of its competitors that have been growing lately have nearly identical subscription models and are doing just fine. Not to mention, as many others have pointed out, f2p would likely lead to huge expansion of the Blizzard store to encompass transmogs, more mounts, and possibly even gameplay items.

That being said, I think expanding the free trial content would definitely benefit wow. Though it's great the free trial now includes the start of BFA, it's still very short and shows of almost nothing of what the game really is. Other MMOs (thinking of one in particular) have implemented large free trials with great success, giving players a chance to even experience a bit of what endgame might be like. A free trial going up to level 50 and including all the BFA raids and endgame content could be great for getting new players into the game without going all the way down the f2p road.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's time to at least contemplate what that would look like. There are but-to-play models out there like GW2 that are B2P and don't provide power gear in the store. There are a lot more MMO's with harsher revenue models but I changed my mind during BFA that B2P might be a better look for them. I'm not saying it should happen now but it wouldn't kill them to give it some serious thought. Given that a great deal of the revenue from the game is coming from expansion sales and services it's not unthinkable.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."