Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Brewmaster Malania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Resheph View Post
    Be careful, you might cut yourself on that edge.

    No matter how much you want to hate on WOW because of how Blizzard touched your gaming hart inappropriately by being a business and not a pink unicorn, WOW was very culturally relevant at some point, everybody was talking about it and people that never even played games installed it and played it for a while.
    Are you projecting?

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Resheph View Post
    Be careful, you might cut yourself on that edge.

    No matter how much you want to hate on WOW because of how Blizzard touched your gaming hart inappropriately by being a business and not a pink unicorn, WOW was very culturally relevant at some point, everybody was talking about it and people that never even played games installed it and played it for a while.
    I'd argue that it was only really sort of culturally relevant in America pretty briefly. Like around right before BC and right at the end of WOTLK. (I'm not biased there. MoP is my favorite expansion!). It... and really, sort of, Blizzard as a whole, seems way more culturally relevant to South Korea (and maybe China) more than anything. Like, I think America has loooooooooooooooooooooong stopped caring about WoW. That has nothing to do with it's quality at all, but moreso to do with the videogame market, the genre, and the platform it was on, more than anything. I even think it was probably more culturally relevant in Europe way longer than it was in America, TBH.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    It never was.
    Shadow the Hedgehog

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post
    I'd argue that it was only really sort of culturally relevant in America pretty briefly. Like around right before BC and right at the end of WOTLK. (I'm not biased there. MoP is my favorite expansion!). It... and really, sort of, Blizzard as a whole, seems way more culturally relevant to South Korea (and maybe China) more than anything. Like, I think America has loooooooooooooooooooooong stopped caring about WoW. That has nothing to do with it's quality at all, but moreso to do with the videogame market, the genre, and the platform it was on, more than anything. I even think it was probably more culturally relevant in Europe way longer than it was in America, TBH.
    WoW was literally the single game responsible for completely reigniting the MMO genre as a whole, and bringing it out from being primarily a very niche, hardcore genre of games into a wide, mainstream audience. Without WoW, everyone's precious FFXIV wouldn't even exist, and would have likely been known as the first, and only, Final Fantasy game to be rendered unplayable since it can be safely assumed 1.0 would have lead to the game quickly being shuttered.

    You can hate on WoW all you want today, but if the game never was created, the Genre never would have evolved as it has today, assuming it even still existed. To say otherwise is just pure ignorance, or is spoken by someone who was too young to remember the genre before WoW came into the picture.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    Oh I 'member that episode.
    Member Star Wars?

    Member Chewbacca?

    Member the Death Star?

    Member?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    It never was.
    Delusional

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladesyphon View Post
    WoW was literally the single game responsible for completely reigniting the MMO genre as a whole, and bringing it out from being primarily a very niche, hardcore genre of games into a wide, mainstream audience. Without WoW, everyone's precious FFXIV wouldn't even exist, and would have likely been known as the first, and only, Final Fantasy game to be rendered unplayable since it can be safely assumed 1.0 would have lead to the game quickly being shuttered.

    You can hate on WoW all you want today, but if the game never was created, the Genre never would have evolved as it has today, assuming it even still existed. To say otherwise is just pure ignorance, or is spoken by someone who was too young to remember the genre before WoW came into the picture.
    I wasn't hating on WoW. I also said it was culturally relevant. You're inferring things I didn't say or even imply because you felt the game was being attacked.

  8. #28
    Brewmaster Malania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Shadow the Hedgehog
    icwutyoudidthar.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Delusional
    boring

    /10c

  9. #29
    Nowadays they'd probably make a Fortnite or Among Us episode instead. Chasing trends and all that


  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post
    I wasn't hating on WoW. I also said it was culturally relevant. You're inferring things I didn't say or even imply because you felt the game was being attacked.

    I love how you say I'm inferring things you didn't intend, then assume the exact same thing by "defending a game because it was being attacked".

    No, the only thing I'm doing is correcting you - WoW was extremely culturally relevant at the time of its' release - there simply was no other MMO that released at the time that captured as huge of an audience, and appealed to the mainstream as much as it did. It was, to use an apt comparison, the Skyrim of the MMO genre. To say it was culturally irrelevant when it completely redefined a genre of games in a way that dictated their style for decades to come is, frankly, just plain wrong.

    As I said before - you either were too young to remember a time before WoW, or were simply ignorant in the matter, neither of which is a bad thing. All I'm doing is correcting and educating you on the subject, nothing more, nothing less. Sorry you seem to think that's some kind of personal attack or something.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladesyphon View Post
    I love how you say I'm inferring things you didn't intend, then assume the exact same thing by "defending a game because it was being attacked".

    No, the only thing I'm doing is correcting you - WoW was extremely culturally relevant at the time of its' release - there simply was no other MMO that released at the time that captured as huge of an audience, and appealed to the mainstream as much as it did. It was, to use an apt comparison, the Skyrim of the MMO genre. To say it was culturally irrelevant when it completely redefined a genre of games in a way that dictated their style for decades to come is, frankly, just plain wrong.

    As I said before - you either were too young to remember a time before WoW, or were simply ignorant in the matter, neither of which is a bad thing. All I'm doing is correcting and educating you on the subject, nothing more, nothing less. Sorry you seem to think that's some kind of personal attack or something.
    .....I said it was culturally relevant. What?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •