1. #1

    In the market for a computer desk

    Maybe not entirely "computer", but at least related...

    For a good decade now, I've just been using two square-shaped wooden tables pushed together as my "desk", with each one having a monitor on it. It works, but it's kinda janky and there's almost no leg room underneath because of all the table-legs and such. So I've been looking into getting a proper computer desk, but I have no experience with this kind of thing so I don't know exactly what to look for.

    I don't have any kind of complex setup, just a single desktop computer, two monitors and a basic 2-speaker+subwoofer sound system. PC is hooked up to both monitors, and two game consoles attached to the other monitor. The "desk" I currently have is approximately 4 feet long and it's a bit cramped so I'd need something that has at least 5 feet of space.

    Looking at a few on Amazon, there are a bunch in the $100-$150 range, which is great, but again, I don't know how good or bad these are since Amazon reviews are not always 100% trustworthy.

    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...dp/B095TWXNVB/
    https://www.amazon.com/Cubiker-L-Sha...dp/B08211MDK7/

  2. #2
    If you live near an Ikea, go and buy a 6’ section of countertop. They have solid wood (Oak, Pine, etc) and then buy a set of legs you like from their desk section (they literally just have sets of legs that go on any of their desks) and put them on the bottom.

    Done.

    If you ever watch any YouTubers like Pauls Hardware, BitWit, JayzTwoCents, etc…

    Thats what all of them are doing. Its not even expensive. The solid oak top (you can get the veneered ones for a lot cheaper if you dont care) is only like 229$ for a 6’ section, and the legs are between 20$-100$ per set of four (depending on how beefy they are and if they are adjustable or not; there’s plenty of good sets in the 45$ range).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Alternatively, if you just want to have a desk, i can recommend the Bekant, as well. I have this one (in the pine color, not black)

    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/bekant-...ack-s19282801/

    But they sell it in a right-side and straight variant as well.

    The legs are adjustable to a fair degree, and its solid as a rock.

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/sDdVUz2nR4bUHVEo6

    Its a nice desk for the price. They also sell a nicer set of legs/under bracing for it that are motorized so it can be a sit/stand desk if thats something you’re interesetd in. I think even with the motorized legs its still only like ~450$.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Maybe not entirely "computer", but at least related...

    For a good decade now, I've just been using two square-shaped wooden tables pushed together as my "desk", with each one having a monitor on it. It works, but it's kinda janky and there's almost no leg room underneath because of all the table-legs and such. So I've been looking into getting a proper computer desk, but I have no experience with this kind of thing so I don't know exactly what to look for.

    I don't have any kind of complex setup, just a single desktop computer, two monitors and a basic 2-speaker+subwoofer sound system. PC is hooked up to both monitors, and two game consoles attached to the other monitor. The "desk" I currently have is approximately 4 feet long and it's a bit cramped so I'd need something that has at least 5 feet of space.

    Looking at a few on Amazon, there are a bunch in the $100-$150 range, which is great, but again, I don't know how good or bad these are since Amazon reviews are not always 100% trustworthy.

    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...dp/B095TWXNVB/
    https://www.amazon.com/Cubiker-L-Sha...dp/B08211MDK7/
    Ikea oak counter top and these legs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Oh man, that's one messy, messy environment. I'd go nuts, man.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

  4. #4
    Elemental Lord callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    8,422
    I was shopping around for a new desk back in January. Had been mainly shopping online when a friend recommended I check local used places. I was iffy about it but I made a couple calls to a few different local places that handle second hand corporate furniture. Found an electrical adjustable sit/stand desk, in like new condition, for $45 that I had seen online for ~$300. I don't really care about adjustability, what I do care about was that it's deep(30"), wide(63"), and its ridiculously stable. This thing is a freaking rock! I swear to god it would survive a direct nuclear attack. Anyway, if you're not dead set on buying new, I highly HIGHLY suggest checking your neighborhood for a similar shop. You might get lucky like I did, not only finding something you really like but also saving a decent amount of cash.

  5. #5
    Brewmaster Naoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,465
    A popular option is getting two sets of drawers (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/alex-dr...hite-00473546/) for example and putting an Ikea counter top as the first guy already mentioned before on top, not only will it be super sturdy because of the width of the drawers you will have 10 little drawers to put shit in!

  6. #6
    Pit Lord Nutri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    This thread
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    A popular option is getting two sets of drawers (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/alex-dr...hite-00473546/) for example and putting an Ikea counter top as the first guy already mentioned before on top, not only will it be super sturdy because of the width of the drawers you will have 10 little drawers to put shit in!
    I did this as well. Actually bought 2 tabletops with the drawer in the center and legs on the outer sides. If you have the space for it, it'll give you 3 meters of space.
    I'd also advice (if going for the Ikea option) to take a set drawers regardless, and buy an extra leg for underneath where the monitor goes. This stops the tabletop from moving around (as opposed to having just 4 legs) and provides extra support underneath the monitor.

    Best thing of all for the Ikea setup: tabletop is like 25 euro's for 62"/150cm wide and 28"/75 cm deep, drawer about 60, and the legs are 3 euro's each. So you're done for around 100 euro for a solid desk, as opposed to 150+ for a cheap desk with a 'gaming' label on it.

    Also, the desk the OP liked is just 23"/58 cm deep, and could be annoying. Most regular desks are at least 75 cm deep. Gives you more room for the monitor+keyboard and gives decent distance between screen and eyes.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    A popular option is getting two sets of drawers (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/alex-dr...hite-00473546/) for example and putting an Ikea counter top as the first guy already mentioned before on top, not only will it be super sturdy because of the width of the drawers you will have 10 little drawers to put shit in!
    Legit looked to my right and those are my drawers xD
    I also bought a Butcher's block from home depot then just stained it myself. <3 my desk and was cheap AF to make myself

  8. #8
    Brewmaster khazmodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    strait jacket
    Posts
    1,477
    This computer desk is a bargain at 2299.99

    https://lian-li.com/product/dk-05f/

    of course, like the video cards, they are sold out in most places.

  9. #9
    Fluffy Kitten Nerph-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    7,441
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    This computer desk is a bargain at 2299.99

    https://lian-li.com/product/dk-05f/

    of course, like the video cards, they are sold out in most places.
    This is sarcasm right? Asking for a friend.

    "I believe you have my stapler..."

  10. #10
    Brewmaster khazmodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    strait jacket
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    This is sarcasm right? Asking for a friend.
    It is sarcasm, but it is such a nerdgasm piece of gear that could look so cool in so many different ways.

    Linus Tech Tips did a great build video on it

    Last edited by khazmodan; 2021-09-05 at 06:11 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    It is sarcasm, but it is such a nerdgasm piece of gear that could look so cool in so many different ways.

    Linus Tech Tips did a great build video on it

    Yeah, the totally custom one they did on their industrial machines is cooler. With the custom LTT logo resevoir.

  12. #12
    Dreadlord Femininity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Woman in a Man's World
    Posts
    961
    A post praising something Linus did, that has been up for an hour or more, that hasn't been relentlessly shit on by the big IQ computer wizards here?

    Color me surprised.

    OT: Butcher block countertop is what I have in my office.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Hyperion - Primal NA - Lone Hero

  13. #13
    I like the Designs by IFR better



    Intel core i9 9900k: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master: PNY RTX 2080 XLR8 OC Twin 8GB: CORSAIR HX850i: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3200MHz: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian li pc-o11 dynamic: Acer Predator xb271hu: Custom water cooled

  14. #14
    I have 0 need for drawers so I just bought an oak board and a standing desk frame. Waxed the board, screwed it into the frame and was done. Albeit not the cheapest thing, costed me 700ish euros. But went with a heavy duty frame.

  15. #15
    If you have something nearby that does custom cut wood you can get it way cheaper than in store stuff. Like others have said countertops are good way to go. I bought two countertops and had them cut down, two pieces for the sides, one for back support. Fucker is heavy but sturdy. Needed space for 2 ppl.

    https://ibb.co/swLrLfm
    https://ibb.co/XCdmD79

    Total price was about 100 euro
    Last edited by Chaotic1962; 2021-09-07 at 08:38 AM.

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    It is sarcasm, but it is such a nerdgasm piece of gear that could look so cool in so many different ways.

    Linus Tech Tips did a great build video on it

    Yeah you know, a guy asks for advise and your advise was him to spent 20k on a freaking custom table... I doubt he has 20k, and neither do i, or anyone around.

  17. #17
    Brewmaster khazmodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    strait jacket
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Yeah you know, a guy asks for advise and your advise was him to spent 20k on a freaking custom table... I doubt he has 20k, and neither do i, or anyone around.
    Obviously nobody has 20k and obviously you watched the video and that is why you know that the table alone cost 20k.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    I like the Designs by IFR better



    That first one is a work of art but I have to wonder about having the pump/reservoir on its side where the pump is more likely to get air instead of fluid and burn itself out.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    I have to wonder about having the pump/reservoir on its side where the pump is more likely to get air instead of fluid and burn itself out.
    As long as the pump is not the highest spot in the loop, it wont gather air. You might have to tap the pump occasionally the first week or two to knock any air bubbles loose but once they all get to the highest spot in the loop they wont be an issue any longer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •