Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I like this advertisement for Elder.

“You remind me of the guy in high school who took my girlfriend, then went onto the next girl. You still think you’re better than everyone else.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I like this advertisement for Elder.

“You remind me of the guy in high school who took my girlfriend, then went onto the next girl. You still think you’re better than everyone else.”

Man, a whole 9 subs!

It's hilarious, because pretty much every single "recall newsom" argument I've heard rests primarily on him eating at the French Laundry that one time and that's just the WORST!

No real substantive policy disagreements, just anti-mask covid bullshit and HUR DUR FRENCH LAUNDRY

10+ Year Old Account
    Expensive restaurant! Those are the crappy banner ads I'm getting on this site.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, a whole 9 subs!

It's hilarious, because pretty much every single "recall newsom" argument I've heard rests primarily on him eating at the French Laundry that one time and that's just the WORST!

No real substantive policy disagreements, just anti-mask covid bullshit and HUR DUR FRENCH LAUNDRY
    Newsom stole my girlfriend is probably not the rousing message that Elder want to convey to the voters.

As for the French Laundry, my wife and I did our share of rule breaking during the pandemic. I am fairly sure we weren't the only ones. The only difference was nobody cares and there weren't cameras following us 24 hours seven days a week.

Newsom stole my girlfriend is probably not the rousing message that Elder want to convey to the voters.

As for the French Laundry, my wife and I did our share of rule breaking during the pandemic. I am fairly sure we weren't the only ones. The only difference was nobody cares and there weren't cameras following us 24 hours seven days a week.
    And the way that Elder literally wants to turn California into a worse Florida by removing mask and vaccine mandates. Good way to get people to really vote against you. That and the bullshit he has been spewing like that fucking moron Candace Hitler Defender Owens.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man, a whole 9 subs!

Not to mention when they worship a man that plates his house in gold.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Expensive restaurant! Those are the crappy banner ads I'm getting on this site.
    French Laundry is over my pay grade. Not to mention, I am not crazy about French Food. I just live it through Anthony Bourdain eyes - Anthony Bourdain A Cooks Tour Season 1 Episode 18: The French Laundry Experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Possible. Not likely though. This is still California. Hard to imagine an anti vax and mask mandate, anti abortion, anti just about everything popular in the state can win a governorship. The Democratic voters would have been okay with a moderate like Faulconer. Not Elder.
    I think they're relying on democrats being complacent and not going out to vote or just not knowing what the recall is about or that it's even happening, moreso than Elder being popular.

Hopefully Newsom retains his position and hopefully the first order of business is splitting gubernatorial recall votes to be distinctly different from the vote to replace, so this kind of "a guy that gets 18% of the popular vote can be governor" bullshit.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post

The guy who went up against the far right and won by a landslide.
    I wouldn't read too much into that.

If you're choices for lunch are watery porridge and shit, the fact that porridge wins by a landslide doesn't say much about the popularity of porridge.

Newsom isn't exactly popular per say, and his reputation outside California is basically "That guy from California".

I consider myself quite interested in politics but I frankly couldn't tell you where Newsom stands on anything policy wise. I just know he's a centristish Dem and doesn't seem to be batshit crazy.

Sure, if he wins (which I hope he will) it will strengthen his position in California, but I don't think that will translate into national politics really.

The whole state governorship being a pathway to national politics seems more to be a Republican/Red state thing.

Democrats haven't had a state governor having a meaningful role in national politics since Bill Clinton.

Coumo seemed to have had a shot, mostly due to all the spotlight he got last year with his coronavirus briefings...but that went sideways because he was a fucking creep.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-09-13 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Coumo seemed to have had a shot, mostly due to all the spotlight he got last year with his coronavirus briefings...but that went sideways because he was a fucking creep.
    And now Newsom might have a shot for having the same task and not fucking up.

Consider our times: "not fucking up" and "not being a creep" are already serious qualifications.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Man, Larry Elder got the coveted Rose McGowan endorsement. I bet dems are rushing to change their votes.
    "I was a lifelong Democrat until they got all SJW..."

Does Rose even have time for acting when she's operating a bunch of GOP sockpuppet accounts on the internet like every other troll?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Does Rose even have time for acting when she's operating a bunch of GOP sockpuppet accounts on the internet like every other troll?
    Considering she hasn't been in anything in years, no.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Man, Larry Elder got the coveted Rose McGowan endorsement. I bet dems are rushing to change their votes.
    Don't they like, hate celebrities? I guess they still can considering she's about as much of a celebrity as Scott Baio is nowadays, and about as relevant.

When do we get Ja Rule's take on the affairs of the day? That's what I really want to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't they like, hate celebrities? I guess they still can considering she's about as much of a celebrity as Scott Baio is nowadays, and about as relevant.

When do we get Ja Rule's take on the affairs of the day? That's what I really want to know.
    I believe Ja Rule is busy planning Frye Festival 2.0, with special web commentary by Donald Trump.

Advanced marketing teaches us; If you're a sucker for one grift, you're more likely to be a sucker for all kinds of grifts. I mean there's very profitable algorithms that model this behavior.

/not sarcasm: TIL: Ja Rule is trying to sell NFTs from the Frye Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Hopefully Newsom retains his position and hopefully the first order of business is splitting gubernatorial recall votes to be distinctly different from the vote to replace, so this kind of "a guy that gets 18% of the popular vote can be governor" bullshit.
    Newsom doesn't have that kind of power. That would need to be done by the state legislature (which, to be fair, I'm pretty sure is already looking to update the process).

They hate celebrities until the celebrities agree with them and then they love them. Just like they love cops until the cops come after them like in the Capitol Insurrection and then they hate cops.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Newsom doesn't have that kind of power. That would need to be done by the state legislature (which, to be fair, I'm pretty sure is already looking to update the process).
    They'd fuckin better. Whole thing needs to be redone -

1.5M signatures to trigger a recall is fairly trivial, theshhold needs to be proportionally higher with the population of the state.
    Needs to be a mechanism to vote for the current governor even if you vote against the recall
    Regardless of the above, if a recall is successful, the only way that the governor should be replaces is if one of the recall candidates meets a minimum threshhold of votes (either a raw total, or a proportional amount compared to what the recalled governor won previously)

The CA Republican parties recall shenanigans are pointless and hugely expensive/wasteful. Which is amusing since this is a party that claims to be about fiscal conservatism as they're more than happy to blow money on longshot recall attempts to get one of their own in power for less than a year before they'll likely be replaced anyways.

1.5M signatures to trigger a recall is fairly trivial, theshhold needs to be proportionally higher with the population of the state.
    It's proportional to the number of votes cast. Specifically, to recall the governor you need 12% of the votes cast in their election to initiate the process. That 12% also needs to include at least 1% of the total votes cast in each of at least five different counties.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2021-09-13 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    It's proportional to the number of votes cast. Specifically, to recall the governor you need 12% of the votes cast in their election to initiate the process.
    12% of votes cast ain't shit, it should absolutely be much higher. Like, set it at the number of votes received by the current governor in the last election. So it's an actual recall from voters and not a pointless waste of everyone's time and money threatening to replace the current governor with someone who may have received only a fraction of the votes the outgoing governor won with.

12% of votes cast ain't shit, it should absolutely be much higher. Like, set it at the number of votes received by the current governor in the last election. So it's an actual recall from voters and not a pointless waste of everyone's time and money threatening to replace the current governor with someone who may have received only a fraction of the votes the outgoing governor won with.
    Well that feels way too high. Though I agree that the process by which his successor is chosen is a steaming load of hot bullshit. Hell, there's no reason to even have a separate election at all; just do the same thing that happens if he dies or resigns and promote the Lt. Governor if he gets recalled.