Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    31,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Again, nature of referring to a race based on their skin colour is so omnipresent within fantasy franchises that the attempt to copyright the usage of it in any fantasy franchise smells more like a patent troll (or copyright troll) than anything else.
    Yeah, but it's not a casual use of the word in Warhammer's IP. Common sense has me agreeing with you that it's a stretch to treat it as if it's some trademark violation. Game studios clearing minor issues like this up seems more likely though. Blizzard certainly isn't going to take this to court and fight it if that is Game Workshop's intention since all they have to do is make a minor adjustment here and there.

    Honestly Blizzard could not care less about what this forum thinks about it.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  2. #62
    The Insane Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    18,212
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I would think less of Games Workshop if they actually sent Blizzard a C&D. It's possible though. It's a little wearying watching people huff and puff and pontificate about the one true reason why this is happening because no one here knows shit about it. I'm thinking it's just a benign legal thing that requires a tiny adjustment on Blizzard's part. I was surprised at the extensive wiki article about it. It became very clear that no matter whether or not we imagine that 'greenskin' is too generic to be trademarked it's clearly not a trivial thing in the Warhammer IP. I suppose we'll see a tweet from Blizzard or something about this soon.
    I love what games workshop puts out but as far as IP and copy right goes id say it's pretty hard for any fan to think less of them with what there currently doing and sending blizzard a C&D would really be the least of it given what they are doing to fan content.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  3. #63
    TIME TO GO AFTER FALLOUT for SMOOTH SKINS!

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    Aren't most fantasy universes some portrayal of utopian expansiveness? That doesn't say racism can't exist in fantasy, just that things inherently mean different things to an observer, whether they are reading a piece of fantasy or just fiction.

    I actually can't think of a fantasy universe that doesnt try to maintain balance. And thats my issue with just adding racism. How is it balanced for in a universe that seeks balance in terms of storytelling... do the orcs loot the tiny almond sized nuts of the racist leader? Are we following and learning why the particular character is racist over a 10 quest storyline, just to finish with a cutscene of what happens when he says the wrong slur to the wrong person? Cause idk if i agree with the premise of introducing concepts and half telling their development and outcome, id think if any piece of fiction were to contain racism, it would have a purpose building understanding of the story before it has a purpose of simply fulfilling all the different cogs in society.

    I agree with you, but I disagree in the sense that there is something wrong with fictional racism when it is done wrong / unnecessarily. Because it generally adds nothing unless it's expanded on
    Well yeah, I don't mean that writers should specifically inject racism into their world / story if it isn't relevant or necessary; but at the same time, the basic concept of one group of people being understandably (not justifiably, UNDERSTANDABLY) prejudiced against another is practically inescapable.

    Humans, night elves, draenei, and plenty of other races are all understandably prejudiced against orcs because of the atrocities committed against those respective races. That's an area where it makes sense for one character to be "racist" against another, but apparently, characters being politically correct in a fictional, fantasy universe is more important to Blizzard than writing realistic characters with human traits


  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    It was also speculated they changed it because of Games Workshop "coining" the term and that they'd have some form of ownership or copyright of the word, and that's why it was removed.
    What's more likely. A company in damage control trying to pretend to care about their customers or suddenly realising after 17 years that some other company has ownership of a word.

    I'm going to choose the former. I'm not against people calling shit out. I think ultimately it's better for society. But this is just bullshit. It's got nothing to do with inclusivity and everything about trying to improve their image. I know this because I see dozens of players running around with sexist, racist, homophobic names. Chat is full of this language and because it's using terms that Americans don't understand nothing gets done. They don't care and this is the reason why blizzard should be attacked over this change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

  6. #66
    No one was upset. They are just searching for things to change and be rightious about. This is what happens when you let these people be in charge of the game.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Humans: *to Orcs* Die, greenskin!
    Orcs: *to Humans* Die, pinkskin!

    They both do it. I don't see the problem?
    We live in a society where it's not acceptable to model fantasy world off of real world conflicts such as racism.

  8. #68
    The Insane Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    18,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    Many companies try to trademark a lot of theam. I mean sure they tried, but they failed. And it's understable since space marines predate GW by 40 years.
    Now if GW were unable to trademark the iconic SPEHSSMUHREENS I fail to see how "greenskin" can even be considered.

    I'm gonna be honest, I think the "trademark" talk is a cope to deny the reality of what's happening, aka another akward attempt by the dev at "sanitizing" the game to make it fit weird woke specifications. I'd have a lot more doubt if it was the first time it happened, but they've been on a roll lately.
    the space marine trademarking only failed because they had people push back against them if there doing it again blizzard would have to play chicken with them and see who blinks first which would likely cost a bunch in paying lawyers.

    the trademark talk also seems like a pretty obvious line of reasoning to go down if your at all paying attention to what game's workshop have been doing recently like trying to shut down all fan animations even though there fair use or copy right model reviews just about a week ago.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    What's more likely. A company in damage control trying to pretend to care about their customers or suddenly realising after 17 years that some other company has ownership of a word.

    I'm going to choose the former. I'm not against people calling shit out. I think ultimately it's better for society. But this is just bullshit. It's got nothing to do with inclusivity and everything about trying to improve their image. I know this because I see dozens of players running around with sexist, racist, homophobic names. Chat is full of this language and because it's using terms that Americans don't understand nothing gets done. They don't care and this is the reason why blizzard should be attacked over this change.
    Blizzard should instead never change anything ever because simply changing something means that they fucked up.

    Like, what the fuck my dude?
    New BiS for 9.1!

    [ twitch ][ Retired Semi-retired as of 2018 ] [ The Official MMO-Champion Bingo Card. ] [ WoW's Community in 2021, illustrated ]
    [ That time I predicted the future...twice. ] [ How do you know if somebody posting on a WoW forum is a FFXIV player? Don't worry, they'll tell you. ]

  10. #70
    The Insane Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    18,212
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    What's more likely. A company in damage control trying to pretend to care about their customers or suddenly realising after 17 years that some other company has ownership of a word.

    I'm going to choose the former. I'm not against people calling shit out. I think ultimately it's better for society. But this is just bullshit. It's got nothing to do with inclusivity and everything about trying to improve their image. I know this because I see dozens of players running around with sexist, racist, homophobic names. Chat is full of this language and because it's using terms that Americans don't understand nothing gets done. They don't care and this is the reason why blizzard should be attacked over this change.
    Game's workshop telling blizzard to C&D is far more likely if you pay attention to any thing they have been doing in the last month or two. if blizzard was trying to earn points you know we'd have seen a blue post by now.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    We live in a society where it's not acceptable to model fantasy world off of real world conflicts such as racism.
    We live in a society where 7.6b people dont give a shit about this stuff at all, but 8 people are able to force a change because they CLAIM it hurt their feelings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssria View Post
    I'm the only guy that has a clue as to what's wrong with the game and how it can be fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Size doesn't matter

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    We live in a society where it's not acceptable to model fantasy world off of real world conflicts such as racism.
    Highlighted the important part.

    The unchecked rampant cynicism of this community will never cease to amuse me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Game's workshop telling blizzard to C&D is far more likely if you pay attention to any thing they have been doing in the last month or two. if blizzard was trying to earn points you know we'd have seen a blue post by now.
    Nah dude, the play is apparently to simply never change anything ever. If they don't change it, they're racist. But if they do change it, they're still racist because who play the game say racist shit.
    New BiS for 9.1!

    [ twitch ][ Retired Semi-retired as of 2018 ] [ The Official MMO-Champion Bingo Card. ] [ WoW's Community in 2021, illustrated ]
    [ That time I predicted the future...twice. ] [ How do you know if somebody posting on a WoW forum is a FFXIV player? Don't worry, they'll tell you. ]

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidSeeker199X View Post
    No one was upset. They are just searching for things to change and be rightious about. This is what happens when you let these people be in charge of the game.
    It's the good ole trying to be as PC as possible to not offend anybody.

    I was mad when they threw out the lore of Blood Elves exclusively being pale and light skinned for the sake of racial inclusivity.
    Like I'm not mad that they would add racial inclusivity. The changes to the human race in WoW were all amazing and great. It was LONG overdue for the shitty excuse of customization options that they had in the game since Classic. It's just when they decided that the Horde NEEDED to have the same treatment because it was inclusive that I realized it wasn't about actually having customization options and was more just about trying to show everybody how PC they were.

    See guys? You can be any race you want on both factions now We're so clean and great.

  14. #74
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    31,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, I think the "trademark" talk is a cope to deny the reality of what's happening, aka another akward attempt by the dev at "sanitizing" the game to make it fit weird woke specifications. I'd have a lot more doubt if it was the first time it happened, but they've been on a roll lately.
    Well at the very least if Blizzard says something and it really is about Games Workshop's IP then everyone can post about how Blizzard is lying. So it's a win either way, right?
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijello View Post
    You seem to be offended...
    Greenskin lover, bet you want a greenskin Highking next
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    Many companies try to trademark a lot of theam. I mean sure they tried, but they failed. And it's understable since space marines predate GW by 40 years.
    Now if GW were unable to trademark the iconic SPEHSSMUHREENS I fail to see how "greenskin" can even be considered.

    I'm gonna be honest, I think the "trademark" talk is a cope to deny the reality of what's happening, aka another akward attempt by the dev at "sanitizing" the game to make it fit weird woke specifications. I'd have a lot more doubt if it was the first time it happened, but they've been on a roll lately.
    Yeah man, it's the people bringing up a plausible, entirely realistic version of events who are coping, not the ones seeking to pitchfork Blizzard for absolutely no fucking reason.

    Jesus. Fucking. Christ. The absolute state of this place.
    New BiS for 9.1!

    [ twitch ][ Retired Semi-retired as of 2018 ] [ The Official MMO-Champion Bingo Card. ] [ WoW's Community in 2021, illustrated ]
    [ That time I predicted the future...twice. ] [ How do you know if somebody posting on a WoW forum is a FFXIV player? Don't worry, they'll tell you. ]

  17. #77
    Fucking... it's a term in game, and honestly, if they want to crack down on anti-orc sentiments fucking make more good orcs instead of 95% of them being "ME BRUTE. ME SMASH. (me also do other abhorrent things like to nelves but we're not gonna talk about that)"

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Wonder if they have someone who is specifically hired to just go through and "clean" up.
    one thing is for sure: regardless what (lore/wow) background this person has, the person is non-white and a woman. maybe they even watched out for some lesbian black woman. to make things „sure“. i am very sorry for all that black ppl, women, or LGBT ppls out there to live in such hillarious times (even when they are maybe better than the last 50 years). the day simply noone ever cares about a greenskin term, or about what skincolor you have, or what gender you are, or whats your sexuality is…. if simply nobody cares (good or bad) about all this fuck, we will live in better times. until that, companies like Blizz quickly need some black lesbian woman, cleaning up greenskins in their fantasy world. cheesus christ…

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    the space marine trademarking only failed because they had people push back against them if there doing it again blizzard would have to play chicken with them and see who blinks first which would likely cost a bunch in paying lawyers.

    the trademark talk also seems like a pretty obvious line of reasoning to go down if your at all paying attention to what game's workshop have been doing recently like trying to shut down all fan animations even though there fair use or copy right model reviews just about a week ago.
    I know all about GW and their wild adventures of fucking things up for the common consumer.
    The space marine trademark failed because they had no claims. It's a common trope in fantasy. They have even less claim now because it's an even more common and widespread trope.
    In a legal battle Blizzard wouldnt have to play chicken at all, as a matter of fact it would be a blessed gift for the company right now, it's an easily winnable battle where Blizz can shine in the PR department by defending the right of the common man. If I was a Blizz exec and received that C&D I'd pop an immediate and durable boner.
    Intellectual property over the word "greenskin" to refer to someone that have green skin ? It's just not happening. Not in this century.

    So sadly, I think the reality is a little bit more grim. Blizz doesnt like having characters refered by their skin colors. So they're removing it. It's questionnable.

  20. #80
    It's an RT.com link (i.e shit-stirring trash).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •