Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    what you posted was quite literally from russia state owned tv lol... grasping at straws

1+ Year Old Account
    In actuality, this could be the result of Games Workshop's copyrighting spree over the last month. If its not... then holy fuck that's just sad
    "Lol" said the scorpion, "lmao"

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    I know all about GW and their wild adventures of fucking things up for the common consumer.
    The space marine trademark failed because they had no claims. It's a common trope in fantasy. They have even less claim now because it's an even more common and widespread trope.
    In a legal battle Blizzard wouldnt have to play chicken at all, as a matter of fact it would be a blessed gift for the company right now, it's an easily winnable battle where Blizz can shine in the PR department by defending the right of the common man. If I was a Blizz exec and received that C&D I'd pop an immediate and durable boner.
    Intellectual property over the word "greenskin" to refer to someone that have green skin ? It's just not happening. Not in this century.

So sadly, I think the reality is a little bit more grim. Blizz doesnt like having characters refered by their skin colors. So they're removing it. It's questionnable.
    There would be absolutely no PR boon for winning on a racial slur at the moment if any thing it would be another hit as people would say it shows there pro racism.

So there options are pay for the battle and gain nothing or just remove a line they don’t care about silently.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Warcrafts and high fantasy in general is practically based on races hating and killing each other because of their race. Of course they are going to have characters throw racially charged insults at each other. Just because you have these lines in the game doesn't mean you support IRL racism.

If they are going to do stuff like this then they need to stop the faction war and just have everyone hug and be able to play together.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-09-08 at 01:01 AM.

Intellectual property over the word "greenskin" to refer to someone that have green skin ? It's just not happening. Not in this century.

So sadly, I think the reality is a little bit more grim. Blizz doesnt like having characters refered by their skin colors. So they're removing it. It's questionnable.
    "I have no evidence so in the absence of evidence I'm going to create the single most cynical narrative I can imagine. And you can't stop me because Blizzard is bad. Also, Blizzard is bad. Have I mentioned Blizzard is bad? Blizzard bad, updoots to the left please."

Honest question... is the need for validation of your pointless cynicism really that important to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Wonder if they have someone who is specifically hired to just go through and "clean" up.
    Most likely yes. Inclusion & Diversity jobs pay really, really well too.

This is so dumb, history is riddled with racism, why can't fantasy games have racism? Garithos in Wc3 was a huge racist against elves, everyone thought he was an asshole, but I thought it's nice to have such a plot point once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    There would be absolutely no PR boon for winning on a racial slur at the moment if any thing it would be another hit as people would say it shows there pro racism.

So there options are pay for the battle and gain nothing or just remove a line they don’t care about silently.
    "Greenskin" being used to designate orcs/orks in a fantasy setting is not exactly likely to be considered to be a racial-slur by normal people. I just dont see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    "I have no evidence so in the absence of evidence I'm going to create the single most cynical narrative I can imagine. And you can't stop me because Blizzard is bad. Also, Blizzard is bad. Have I mentioned Blizzard is bad? Blizzard bad, updoots to the left please."
    Nobody has any evidence but we're still allowed to use our brains.
    People have expressed two hypothesis. I dont think the copyright one hold any water and I simply explained why.

You're upset for nothing. Take your meds.

Its amusing watching people talk about greenskin as racist while making racist comments about russians in the thread. It might be in 2 years, or 5 years, or 10 years, but some time, some diversity and inclusion group is gonna scour old tweets and posts and flag accounts for russian bashing as racist.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2021-09-08 at 01:10 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Nobody has any evidence but we're still allowed to use our brains.
    People have expressed two hypothesis. I dont think the copyright one hold any water and I simply explained why.

You're upset for nothing. Take your meds.
    Who said I'm upset? Please don't attribute an emotion to me that I haven't expressed. That's called projection. I simply asked you a question and you have so far failed to answer it. You clearly want validation of your pointless cynicism. Why?

Now even fantasy racism in story from of npcs isn’t aloud? But them killing each other is fine and dandy, long as no bad words are said..

Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    Greenskin lover, bet you want a greenskin Highking next
    Super lame troll, but ok.

I always played Ally. Never did have an Orc, even when I tried Horde. /shrug

For something they are cracking down onto this doesnt seem to have much traffic apart some weird russian website.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Who said I'm upset? Please don't attribute an emotion to me that I haven't expressed. That's called projection. I simply asked you a question and you have so far failed to answer it. You clearly want validation of your pointless cynicism. Why?
    Is it common in your part of the world to jump on people having a normal conversation to ask them if they "need validation for their pointless cynicism" ?

Not mine. Go foam at the mouth at someone else.

What a complete joke. Even high fantasy is now to be devoid of racist slurs? What's the issue, are orcs going to sue them or boycott their games? I'm guess there's plenty of greenskins playing their game on Azeroth, who will disconnect their Soul Shard from the services due to this instance of horrible racism. How could a fictional human character call his fictional enemies that way!

Daelin Proudmoore's "Death to the blackbloods!" and Garithos' "Inhuman beast!" are memorable quotes, charged with antagonism, lust for revenge and more. Are they going to change these too? Can't let the inhuman beasts be offended either. Lets see if they change these.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2021-09-08 at 01:25 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    "Greenskin" being used to designate orcs/orks in a fantasy setting is not exactly likely to be considered to be a racial-slur by normal people. I just dont see it.
    We’re literally in a thread about it being taken out because it’s a racial slur with people on both sides on rather it is or not.

There would absolutely be backlash for spending lawyer money on defending it.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

This would be a real California Moment™.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Racism in a universe where race as a PC defines your political faction, no fucking way.
    The developers who take offense to this should not work on a franchise where war is at its center.

Also:
    https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=647/captain-greenskin

You can complain about the source, but it's legit.

https://twitter.com/keyboardturn/sta...11805541089280
    that actually makes sense though... because the Horde is more than just orcs. calling the opposition green skins doesn't make sense when only 2 races out of 12 are actually green.

So the idea of them cracking down on racism is just the removal of one word from one NPC?

Seriously I have to question who is more easily offended, the people editing a phrase said by an NPC or the 5-page-long post of people whining about what is a completely irrelevant change. I'm not a fan of performative activism but this is so minor that the fact that any website decided to write an article about it is hilarious.

Is it common in your part of the world to jump on people having a normal conversation to ask them if they "need validation for their pointless cynicism" ?

Not mine. Go foam at the mouth at someone else.
    Again, no mouth foaming here. Relax, my dude. I'm simply asking you to share with us why you're so entirely certain of something when there isn't a shred of evidence to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    They didn't have to remove it in the first place.