Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    You beat me to it. Now he's just onto that nonsense that the 40 hour work week is a "part-time gig" and people should just work harder to survive. Kind of takes away from the people are in financial straits due to their own decisions.

Pretty good self own on his part.
    Still waiting on "just develop marketable skills" on my Bad Faith Fiscal Conservative Talking Points bingo card.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    People choosing to work at Burger King instead of all the other places they could work
    Is a perfectly acceptable choice since it's a service that is in demand by the market and is in no way automatically justification for a lack of a living wage besides some silly personal belief that food service jobs are for teenagers or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

People make their own choices.
    Poverty isn't a choice for most folks. That anyone thinks people like, voluntarily choose to be poor is frankly, ludicrous and pretty fucked up. Yes, bad decisions can contribute, but again to that very specific point -

Every person working a full-time, 40h a week job should be paid a livable wage. Period.

That's a position I never held.
    It absolutely is with your statement that you're fine with people working 40 hours a week in a job and not being paid a living wage. You don't need to explicitly say, "I have no problems with exploitation.", you've already said it indirectly.

I purposefully did that because silly people LOVE to jump on the bandwagon and insinuate that you do just because you feel that if people want livable wages, they should stop flipping burgers.
    Then why do we hire people to flip burgers? Why don't people flipping burgers deserve a living wage?

I also wouldn't go as far as saying people are exploited.
    Yet you literally just supported exploiting "burger flippers" because, apparently, that's a job that you look down upon and believe anyone performing is undeserving of a living wage.

Despite the facts that...

1. Historically it's absolutely been a job that paid a living wage.

2. It absolutely is a job that pays a living wage at many companies, or damned close to it. See places like In n Out, which proves that you can compensate your workers well and not exploit the fuck out of them while still running a thriving fast-food chain.

Weird how that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Is a perfectly acceptable choice since it's a service that is in demand by the market and is in no way automatically justification for a lack of a living wage besides some silly personal belief that food service jobs are for teenagers or whatever.
    Someone's got jokes today.

10+ Year Old Account
    People choosing to work at Burger King instead of all the other places they could work that pay a lot more is not them suffering. They made their choices. I have no empathy for people who choose to do this then pretend they're the victim.

This isn't to say everyone does this, but I see more of this than I care to.
    There are not enough jobs for everyone who wants to work. It's simple math. The number of open jobs is less than the number of job-seekers.

This is why your position is misanthropic. You're blaming people for being victims of an unfair, exploitative system. You're blaming them for being offered less than a minimum living wage, and taking that offer because they don't have any other meaningful options.

You're right in that you lack empathy, but it's worse than that. You're actively arguing for their suffering.

Why shouldn't someone working full-time at Burger King have a modestly decent lifestyle? Really, all you're doing here is defining exactly which people you want to see suffer on your behalf. I don't know what fast food workers ever did to you to deserve that antipathy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There are not enough jobs for everyone who wants to work. It's simple math. The number of open jobs is less than the number of job-seekers.

This is why your position is misanthropic. You're blaming people for being victims of an unfair, exploitative system. You're blaming them for being offered less than a minimum living wage, and taking that offer because they don't have any other meaningful options.

You're right in that you lack empathy, but it's worse than that. You're actively arguing for their suffering.

Why shouldn't someone working full-time at Burger King have a modestly decent lifestyle?
    Better question is why all these conservatives think it's a remotely wise decision to crap on the people who handle their food, lol.

They must really like special sauce on their burgers.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Better question is why all these conservatives think it's a remotely wise decision to crap on the people who handle their food, lol.
    Lot of privileged kids that have never had to work a service sector job.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Poverty isn't a choice for most folks. That anyone thinks people like, voluntarily choose to be poor is frankly, ludicrous and pretty fucked up. Yes, bad decisions can contribute, but again to that very specific point -

Every person working a full-time, 40h a week job should be paid a livable wage. Period.
    It may not be a choice for everyone but for most... that's debatable. And when someone implies "voluntary", it does not have to mean they're waking up saying "I'm going to choose to be poor today". Living outside your means is a choice you make. Knowing you need $1200 a month to pay your bills but go on a shopping binge beforehand and can't pay them is your own fault. Just because you have a bad habit of spending money on crap and not making sure bills are paid does not mean you deserve more money in your check to accommodate for that. That's just plain silly.

And we can agree to disagree on who deserves to make a livable wage. I'm not for the entitlement philosophy.

It absolutely is with your statement that you're fine with people working 40 hours a week in a job and not being paid a living wage. You don't need to explicitly say, "I have no problems with exploitation.", you've already said it indirectly.
    No, I'm afraid it isn't. You personally believing that does not make is so. Just because I say "I do not like green olives" is not implicit that I like black olives.

Then why do we hire people to flip burgers? Why don't people flipping burgers deserve a living wage?
    High school kids do this. Why give them more reason to drop out of school? It's bad enough that the dropout rates are going up. Start paying livable wages to all these super easy jobs and why the heck would anyone want to work a real job if you can live off doing the bare minimum?

Yet you literally just supported exploiting "burger flippers" because, apparently, that's a job that you look down upon and believe anyone performing is undeserving of a living wage.
    I guess we have different definitions of what "exploiting" is. I'm going with the Webster definition.

I've worked there before. And I still do not believe they deserve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah, that much was clear from the belief that food service or retail isn't as hard as factory work.

Or conveniently ignoring that people who work in what effectively factories *also* quite frequently get paid shitty wages. See: Amazon. And like... the People's Republic of China.

If you want a living wage (to some), stop working at McDonalds thinking you deserve one that people busting their behinds in factories make. It's ridiculous.
    well shit then mcdonalds and its ilk should not be allowed to have the same level of profits "factories" have!!! they are not real jobs...i mean businesses.....!!!

BTW ever work in a factory?

I've done both factory work and fast food and for the Pay/Benefits the factory work is soooooooooooo much easier.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    if the state has to go full red style, I think it's much more acceptable to have them trying to force the salaries to rise and lower working hours (ie employees getting paid more per hours) rather than going the UBI route (ie the I-do-nothing-and-someone-pays-me-for-it "solution")

if the UBI is about paying everyone including the rich and those who don't need any UBI to survive, this is quite silly, on top of the idea of stealing money from those who actually work (since money has to come from somewhere)
    if we expect someone to work to receive an UBI, then this is not UBI, but rather a salary, which is the actual way to avoid chaos
    and if we refer to helping those who can't eat or have a home, this is social welfare, not UBI either. UBI would cost more
    Last edited by Cæli; 2021-09-23 at 07:15 PM.

I'm not saying "you". Just like $20 an hour in my place of employment isn't "me".

I read the news articles all the time. Fast food workers wanting to make what factory workers make, etc.

We can disagree about who should make a livable wage. Next thing we know, people delivering newspapers will start demanding factory wages.
    And why shouldn't they? They work and provide a service.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    well shit then mcdonalds and its ilk should not be allowed to have the same level of profits "factories" have!!! they are not real jobs...i mean businesses.....!!!

BTW ever work in a factory?

I've done both factory work and fast food and for the Pay/Benefits the factory work is soooooooooooo much easier.
    Yes, I have worked in fast food and I've worked in 4 different factories.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    And why shouldn't they? They work and provide a service.
    We can go far down this rabbit hole.

In my area, there are fast food places that are now asking for tips. There are plenty who go back/forth on how you define "being served" for deserving a tip. There is a lot of reaching involved.

In addition, people in fast food wanting high salaries are the reason why so many negative things are happening in the industry. My wife and I stop at a fast food place now at lunch, order 2 value meals and it's $21 when it was half that not long ago. Fast food places are combating this as well by implementing things like these large touch-screens where you can order our own stuff and it's presented to you. No longer having to pay someone at the counter. There are some who are experimenting with robot cooks so they don't have to pay all these wages.
    Last edited by Necromantic; 2021-09-23 at 07:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    if the state has to go full red style, I think it's much more acceptable to have them trying to force the salaries to rise and lower working hours (ie employees getting paid more per hours) rather than going the UBI route (ie the I-do-nothing-and-someone-pays-me-for-it "solution")
    Okay, and what's your solution for people not able to find employment since there will never be sufficient openings to meet demand in a capitalist economy?

if the UBI is about paying everyone including the rich
    Cool, may I interest you in negative income tax then?

on top of the idea of stealing money from those who actually work (since money has to come from somewhere)
    No.

The money isn't being "stolen", it was acquired legitimately through taxation at which point it becomes public money.

if we expect someone to work to receive an UBI, then this is not UBI, but rather a salary, which is the actual way to avoid chaos
    Despite there being no evidence that UBI or similar schemes "cause chaos" or even appreciable increases in unemployment.

Knowing you need $1200 a month to pay your bills but go on a shopping binge beforehand and can't pay them is your own fault.
    Sure, some folks may fall under this category. But this reads a lot like the vague complaints of Welfare Queens under Reagan, you know the ones that never really existed.

For most folks, they're already poor and options are limited so maybe that "shopping binge" was restocking on necessary supplies and buying food. I mean, you think folks born into poverty in Appalachia where their options for upward mobility are extremely limited are just like, happily choosing to stay there because they can't afford to move elsewhere or get training that may help them get a job?

I'm not for the entitlement philosophy.
    Being able to afford a place to live, basic necessities (like a stove and fridge and internet connection which, yes, is a necessity in the modern world just like a telephone or electricity is), and pay for food/medical bills isn't entitlement. That's just living.

High school kids do this.
    40 hours a week? Maybe during the summer.

But why should highschool kids be exploited and not paid a living wage if they too are working full time? Highschool kids are hardly the only folks flipping burgers as well.

This is just you being cool with companies exploiting literal minors.

Why give them more reason to drop out of school?
    ...what? Literally where the fuck did this even come from?

Start paying livable wages to all these super easy jobs and why the heck would anyone want to work a real job if you can live off doing the bare minimum?
    Ah yes, those teens with their dreams of...working fast food all their lives and having basic necessities while being unable to afford to do things they may want to do like travel or anything.

I guess we have different definitions of what "exploiting" is. I'm going with the Webster definition.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exploit

: to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage
    This definition? Where you're arguing that multi-billion dollar, international fast-food companies can't afford to pay a living wage and are unfairly exploiting, in your own words, literal minors (i.e. not adults)?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    You beat me to it. Now he's just onto that nonsense that the 40 hour work week is a "part-time gig" and people should just work harder to survive. Kind of takes away from the people are in financial straits due to their own decisions.

Pretty good self own on his part.
    it's the same nonsense argument of saying fast food work is only for teenagers. as if any fast food restaurant only operates outside of school hours...

10+ Year Old Account
    High school kids do this. Why give them more reason to drop out of school? It's bad enough that the dropout rates are going up. Start paying livable wages to all these super easy jobs and why the heck would anyone want to work a real job if you can live off doing the bare minimum?
    Good question. Maybe the "real jobs" should provide better financial incentives?

What you're describing is the system working as intended, rather than the abortion of a capitalist market that the US currently has.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    it's the same nonsense argument of saying fast food work is only for teenagers. as if any fast food restaurant only operates outside of school hours...
    Or as if multi-national corporations paying minors like shit by virtue of them being minors is something that literally anyone should be alright with. This ain't a kid doing some under the table neighborhood house/pet/baby sitting or some yardwork for the senior citizens (hey, I did those things!), these are legal contracts with taxable wages earned just like real adults.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or as if multi-national corporations paying minors like shit by virtue of them being minors is something that literally anyone should be alright with. This ain't a kid doing some under the table neighborhood house/pet/baby sitting or some yardwork for the senior citizens (hey, I did those things!), these are legal contracts with taxable wages earned just like real adults.
    It also doesn't grapple with the question of why teenagers should not also be paid a living wage for said work.

They should, because there are plenty of instances in which said wage would be immensely helpful for said teenagers distancing themselves from difficult home circumstances. Just like free college education even for rich kids is justifiable since there are many kids of rich parents who would benefit from the financial independence public funding would afford.

But as usual, conservatives seem to operate under the belief that any form of hardship is ultimately self-inflicted therefore remedy isn't merited. You know, the same people that refuse to get vaccinated and then demand every medical intervention under the sun when they catch COVID.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said abolish it, and make it part of the constitution that no human being can be paid less than a livable wage for full time. Honestly this should have gone along with the ending slavery as it amounts to the same issue. The U.S then should also demand that same human right from all allies.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, and what's your solution for people not able to find employment since there will never be sufficient openings to meet demand in a capitalist economy?

Cool, may I interest you in negative income tax then?

No.

The money isn't being "stolen", it was acquired legitimately through taxation at which point it becomes public money.

Despite there being no evidence that UBI or similar schemes "cause chaos" or even appreciable increases in unemployment.

my solution is to move away from a system based on the concept of inflation and debt, changing the way money is created to prevent the state from devaluing the currency, and make people actually save what they earned without devaluing their savings.

taxation is acceptable up to a point. funding UBI, I have huge doubts. do you realize how much it would cost?

the rich will never accept funding for ubi, we have to deal with it. did you really think that you can take that much money to people like that with no chaotic consequences?
    it can cause wars. the top % have collectively way more money than the states. making a war is no issue at all for them. I don't think we'll get to there though. mainly because if that happens the rich will simply leave the country, give up citizenship, disappear or something resulting in them not paying.