Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Casual content has roughly been the same since the game started. If you couldn't find a goal in it before I'm not sure how a small. 5 patch will fix that.

As for how this patch affects casuals, it really depends on the type of casual you are. My family all play this game for various things. I'm an altoholic when I'm not progression raiding. I actually do enjoy pugging and meeting new people so I level alts with the goal of beating the current raid on normal with no help from my guild at all. This patch gives me tons of help in that regard. From the ability to get to 40 renown easy, to skipping the covenant questlines.

My brother plays to collect things and in a small group of irl friends. He's happy about the changes to the system when it comes to swapping covenants and the way those covenant's collections are now handled

And last is my mom. She's honestly just happy to be pointed at things to kill. She just likes to go around and do world quests in her off time. She doesn't touch any group content, and she's happy. Now there's nothing in the patch that'll help her, but i don't I could think of anything that'll make her enjoy it more then she currently does.

Tl;dr Depending on the type of casual you are and the reason for playing, there's ton in this patch that'll improve your quality of life

Im a casual player and i have been able to get:

- Green fire in MOP, with mop tier1 raid finder gear, needing to use a damn purification potion to dispel the Doom enrage and health funneling the pitlord because he fucking died because of my low dps.
    - every mage tower of every class i played back in legion, with nighthold normal pug gear.
    - solo 5mask vision runs, with vision gear, nyalotha LFR and welfare epics from weekly events
    - solo all twisting corridors layers in the first month of patch, with mostly normal nathria gear, rest improved world quest gear, weekly chests...

Casual means that you play a small ammount of time, its a real word with a real meaning, no ammount o mental gymnasics will change that.

You have plenty of content, you had and you will have, that requires barely any time investment or thinking in the game, that are challenging and are really good milestones for casual players to pursuit.

Giving things free without any effort is the opposite of what a RPG are for.

Casual content doesn't need to be so easy that you don't need to learn anything. M+ is the best thing that happened to casual players ever, because it gives you something to aim toward on your own without commitments (except to that one group you make or join for 30-40mins). I'm playing pretty casually with no set time commitments/schedule and am like 40 score short of KSM this season (not that that is a big achievement). Pugging pretty much all of these keys. I play like this because I can't commit to any set schedules due to having family and work obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    This isn't "casual", this is "giving everything for free to people who don't log in a lot" thus making content trivial for people who do log in a lot---nothing to work for and nothing to do.

Fun times. Oh wait. Not.
    Anima cost is still there. If we skip campaign, because it's "bad" or "not worth doing" (not all of them - Kirian one is bad for example) and devs admit it via allowing that exact skip, then why all rewards are gated behind "do X campaign chapter"?

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Perhaps i misspoke. Would 'power and ilvl obsessed gamer' be more suited to you? Or shall we discuss the merits and demerits of this classification as well (until we open up another group of exceptions and qualifiers)? Or would you rather we just all be classified as 'gamers' with diffuse interests and just accept that some people would rather play for a 'different' type of fun and entertainment outside of the three pillar content foisted upon them (as the only correct way to play and enjoy the game)?.

Well power and ilvl obsessed gamer is at least descriptive and a better way to explain what you're actually saying, so let's go with that one. As a side note, not sure you read my posts correctly; I don't think anyone who doesn't do R/M/P isn't playing the game correctly. Not entirely sure how we got there from asking what people actually do otherwise, that hasn't been addressed. If it's just "playing the game" by doing random quests here, there, etc., then I am not sure anybody can add to help with that, except more? Of which they do quite frequently?

Yes, it all builds towards progressing characters and building 'power and ilvl', but surely you can enjoy that regardless? What ELSE does a "non-power and ilvl obsessed" MMO player do? Can you just answer that -- what kind of content are you Looking for here? I'm trying to understand -- for real -- so there's no reason to take on the offense here.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Anima cost is still there. If we skip campaign, because it's "bad" or "not worth doing" (not all of them - Kirian one is bad for example) and devs admit it via allowing that exact skip, then why all rewards are gated behind "do X campaign chapter"?
    so you don't want to even do weekly quests, huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    Well power and ilvl obsessed gamer is at least descriptive and a better way to explain what you're actually saying, so let's go with that one. As a side note, not sure you read my posts correctly; I don't think anyone who doesn't do R/M/P isn't playing the game correctly. Not entirely sure how we got there from asking what people actually do otherwise, that hasn't been addressed. If it's just "playing the game" by doing random quests here, there, etc., then I am not sure anybody can add to help with that, except more? Of which they do quite frequently?

Yes, it all builds towards progressing characters and building 'power and ilvl', but surely you can enjoy that regardless? What ELSE does a "non-power and ilvl obsessed" MMO player do? Can you just answer that -- what kind of content are you Looking for here? I'm trying to understand -- for real -- so there's no reason to take on the offense here.
    fishing, pet battles and mount collecting i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy28 View Post
    Not sure why you seem to dislike MOP so much when it had pretty much perfected the "badge" system? As a casual it was my favorite expac, because LFR giving actually decent loot and the Valor grind gave me semi-long term goals while still having time to level and decently gear a couple of alts. You also have a rather unique opinion of Timeless Isle, which IMO is still the best iteration of its kind solely because how beautiful and chill it was and how easy it was to get alt catch-up gear.

The improvement WoW needs and has needed since WoD dropped is goddamned badge/Valor gear that can be farmed painlessly through solo queue tools like it used to be from 3.3.3 to 5.4. For as long as WoW devs keep ignoring this obvious but very simple fact, I will keep subscribing to that other MMORPG that does exactly that but even better.
    MOP - was beginning of an end. It was first time in Wow's history, when rewards on every character were gated behind mandatory grinds, so players couldn't just play for fun, but had to dedicate about one hour of their play time per character to mandatory grinds. And so called "claustrophobic sandbox" content also appeared there. Dunno why, but I hate it. It's better for me to be restricted by quest objectives, but have freedom to choose approach to them, than have vague objectives, but being restricted by environment itself.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post

Then ill direct you to the first reply in the thread. No offence taken, and none given. I was just a little perplexed by your initial comments on fishing (why not? It might be fun!) And running laps around oribos (as if we all didnt do exactly that in ironforge back in the day).

Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    so you don't want to even do weekly quests, huh?
    I talk about base rewards and corresponding chapters are already done and are mostly obsoleted.

I talk about base rewards and corresponding chapters are already done and are mostly obsoleted.
    The problem seems to be you want mindless and pointless content... that isn't a wise investment.

Just do timewalking normals if you want content you can't lose at but don't disguise that as "casual" content. Just be honest with your wants.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    God this is such a huge whine thread over such small reasons.

Take some responsibility for your own unhappiness with the game and stop playing.

But I suppose I should not have expected any more, or any less, with threads constantly trashing the game and whining over such dumb shit from an account called “WoW is Dead”

It it makes you feel better then he should rename his name to WoWiskillingitself or better yet, WoWdevsareperverts
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

So nice to read i'm not alone, i'm mostly a casual player, 4 months into SL i got in with some amazing peeps and per usual, i go all in. Sure atm i'm KeyStone Hero mists is at 19 the rest are 20, and 5/10 Mythic SoD.

It's been a wild ride coming from playing wow all casual until recently and the majority of other mmorpg's as a casual.

The commitment is real, it puts a large time constraint on a person, and i love hard af content but i'm starting to find overall it's not that hard and yeah i have a life lmao, i'm most likely going to drop back down to a Heroic Raider when 9.2 hits, you can just blast through that and be done with it.

I played EQ2 2004 - 2008 (rip) and yeah, that's hard af content, this is just very repetitive, inching away, EQ2 was and forever will be far superior raiding, until they made it stupid easy beyond all recognition. Another is SWL, that's legendary hard content but without anything new we would run a 10 in like 20 minutes, and Manhattan Exclusion Zone became a cakewalk even at NYR E10.

So, what do those games have that wow is sorely lacking. Lots of amazing solo, casual content, engaging content, heritage quest lines, deep background stories, so much great content, wow is a f'ing to do list, yes it has some good questing but not near the level of, ESO, FFXIV, or the games i mentioned above.

So i mean i'm there for raid, i'll most likely drop M+ when i get KH, i mean 100% drop it M+ is the most fucked up part of the game, it's stupid af, timed anything in a mmorpg is just lazy af development, unoriginal, the raids are awesome but there needs to be so much more better engaging content, deep quest lines, shit for me to do when i'm not raiding ffs and not a f'ing to do list. I mean korthia, what is it, a to do fucking list.

Look i don't hate wow, the content is hard af, but in time not so much, but when you have all these other games getting it right, you understand how weak wow has become as an mmorpg. I like to dedicate my game time to two mmorg's tops where one is the focus, and atm they are wow, and SWG:L going on about 5 years now and SWG still has far more content, and it's been dead for well over a decade, EQ2 is just a disgrace now, they should have stuck to hard af.

CASUAL LIVES MATTER!!!

Love It!!!!!
    Last edited by xpsync; 2021-09-09 at 01:32 PM.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Honestly, i think he is. He just wants a more chill experience. And wants to advocate for it.
    or more like he sucks at the game and makes excuses for it lol, even casuals can do +2 or lfr

These people my fckin god.

They keep saying that there is a 'disconnect' between us and their 'real' way of casual WoW when this isn't the case.
    The only disconnect here is between OP and what WoW actually is.

WoW is an end-game based MMO - This means the vast majority of content comes from doing end-game content, like raids, pvp or M+. This is the goal of WoW and this is always what it was about.
    They did add more accessibility options like LFR and .1 or .2 treasue island zones BUT the game is DESIGNED around end-game activities.

Saying that you could do fuckin' LFR in ICC is not a counter argument, you can do LFR right now as well PLUS a miriad of other shit all around the world.
    What else could you do in WotLK? I'll tell you, virtually fucking nothing. You could walk into the Wintergrasp raid for free loot that was outdated at that time already.

WoW is not about you running around doing a 45 hour single player story like it's the Witcher 3 or some shit.
    Never was. You didn't even get extra story quests with major patches until like Cataclysm and those took like 30 minutes at best too.

This is an end-game focused MMO, not your ESO or any single player RPG out there.
    If you want that type of gameplay then play those games. It's literally that simple.

MMO's interpretation of "casual" is extremely biased. In real world extreme casual - is player, who plays "3 in a row" during lunch at his work. But MMOs has some different interpretations, like "I'm casual, if I don't do WF race Myhic raiding". They should understand, that if I have time and desire to level two servers full of characters in order to run Garrisons on them (not for gold, but just for fun) - then I'm not even casual. Because this work is as hard or even harder, than play for 2 hours of raid time every week.
    exaggerating again, no one thinks you are casual if you dont do WF mythic raiding, you saying that make you sound dumb and silly

are there even a part of wow that you ever liked?
    i dont know why you even wanna play wow or any mmorpg for that matter.
    you dont wanna improve yourself and you dont wanna interact with people. 2 main pillars of mmorpgs.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    MMO's interpretation of "casual" is extremely biased. In real world extreme casual - is player, who plays "3 in a row" during lunch at his work. But MMOs has some different interpretations, like "I'm casual, if I don't do WF race Myhic raiding". They should understand, that if I have time and desire to level two servers full of characters in order to run Garrisons on them (not for gold, but just for fun) - then I'm not even casual. Because this work is as hard or even harder, than play for 2 hours of raid time every week.
    ...what? No, I'm sorry, but running your Garrison wasn't hard, it was just time consuming. Adding more of them just adds more time to complete. If your definition of "hard" is "running a couple dozen Garrisons" then no wonder you want so many changes.

I don't think this game is for you, mate. You might consider finding a new one.

I consider a casual player (as i read above) someone who drops $ in to their phone game at lunch, a sucker.

A casual MMORPG player is totally different. They are a gamer with a life.

They need to mostly solo and be able to drop the game at a moments notice as in they need to deal with life, and when outside of that responsibility they can game.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    These people my fckin god.

They keep saying that there is a 'disconnect' between us and their 'real' way of casual WoW when this isn't the case.
    The only disconnect here is between OP and what WoW actually is.

WoW is an end-game based MMO - This means the vast majority of content comes from doing end-game content, like raids, pvp or M+. This is the goal of WoW and this is always what it was about.
    They did add more accessibility options like LFR and .1 or .2 treasue island zones BUT the game is DESIGNED around end-game activities.

Saying that you could do fuckin' LFR in ICC is not a counter argument, you can do LFR right now as well PLUS a miriad of other shit all around the world.
    What else could you do in WotLK? I'll tell you, virtually fucking nothing. You could walk into the Wintergrasp raid for free loot that was outdated at that time already.

WoW is not about you running around doing a 45 hour single player story like it's the Witcher 3 or some shit.
    Never was. You didn't even get extra story quests with major patches until like Cataclysm and those took like 30 minutes at best too.

This is an end-game focused MMO, not your ESO or any single player RPG out there.
    If you want that type of gameplay then play those games. It's literally that simple.
    exactly, those so called casuals want the game to cater to their needs?? why play a game if u want it tailored to your needs lol
    because they are entitled crybabies

- - - Updated - - -

MOP - was beginning of an end. It was first time in Wow's history, when rewards on every character were gated behind mandatory grinds, so players couldn't just play for fun, but had to dedicate about one hour of their play time per character to mandatory grinds. And so called "claustrophobic sandbox" content also appeared there. Dunno why, but I hate it. It's better for me to be restricted by quest objectives, but have freedom to choose approach to them, than have vague objectives, but being restricted by environment itself.
    that is definitely a "you" problem
    right now i don't like the current shards of dominion and leggy system so i quit and i've been mythic raiding since draenor
    I don't post on forums like the little b!tch you are because that's a me problem, i don't expect the game to be catered to me
    and if you think otherwise that casuals like you must have more things then i'm sorry but you have irl mental issues, you don't matter to wow because you refuse to participate in the core endgame features of wow

Its either people complaining that the game is too hardcore or built for casuals when in reality its the players who are bad.

only 1-2hrs to play a day? I understand this, i was there at ond point in my life, my solution? Unsub and play single player games on steam.

Content too hard? Really its not, take the time to learn it and see what you can do better. Find a group of equal minded people to progress with.

Anti-social solo player? Why are you playing an mmo? Theyre internet people, they cant hurt you, if you get in your feels when they say bad things then block them.

Hardcore player who thinks the game is too ez? Take some gear off or do naked runs i dunno.