Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I'm of the camp that if we borrow words we shouldn't change their meanings. Language works however we want it to really.

    I mean you could successfully argue that.
    That is quite literally impossible since the meaning of any given word is partially derived from its cultural context and you're going to have a different cultural context than whatever language you're borrowing from. Also, there wouldn't be a borrowing of "anime" if it had a general meaning, it would be pointless because we already have words for animation or cartoons, it only has a function because it is being used as a specialized meaning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keristrasza View Post
    I mean they have the numbers on their side to see what is and isn't popular on their site. Odds are it's not gaining enough traction to worry about. Case in point, where did the Rift news go? It's still alive and has an active albeit small player base, yet no news? They never covered wild star to my knowledge and it had way more players than Rift did, what about SWOTR?

    Point is, people only want FF14 news because it's the first and only game to "rival" wow, and I use that loosely because the sh*t show at blizzard is the only reason it's gotten that far. Had the issue with Afrisabi never come to the forefront, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
    I mean, we also have the numbers.



    FFXIV's subforum on MMO-C has fewer viewers than the druid specific subforum.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    It's not impossible? We do it in english all the time.

    I mean we dont do the same for any other countries animation? We could just admit they came up with a better word for it, and use it.

    Anyway king of the hill is my favourite american anime.
    No, we don't. We use words to similarly, not the same.

    They didn't come up with a better word for it, they have a word we attribute to the specific unique visual style of the thing that comes from that country.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I dont think we needed to borrow the word in the first place. You're right we already have a word for it.
    Well, you can argue that we shouldn't have changed the meaning of the word...but it's kind of pointless to do so because we already did.

  4. #124
    The Lightbringer The-Shan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Badlands
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    Real question: What news of FF14 would even be there? Outside of stuff revealed at fan fests and the occasional letters from the Producer? Like there isnt any datamining nor is there the same amount of focused coverage on events/resets to FF14.

    It would be like an article one every 3-4 weeks at most. There isnt any datamining in FF14. Not really any weekly changes or hotfixes.
    Overwatch+hots get places, and theres arguably less news.

    Plot summaries, guides, news about world firsts, community news/events, etc. Lots of potential!
    thinly veiled high elf thread

  5. #125
    I don't wanna be all "Urgh FF is too weeb for me" But I like legit just don't like the artstyle? And yeh, it kinda correlates to the specific aesthetics eastern MMO's seem to rely on.

    A bummer tho, because the designs themselves are great, but the artstyle just doesn't do it for me.

    Also I just can't with elezen proportions.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    If I say king of the hill is a great american anime, you would understand what I meant. Most people would, some people might get a little confused, but theyd understand that I think king of the hill is a good cartoon.
    If you say that King of the Hill is a "great american anime" what you are actually saying "King of the Hill is a Great American Japansese Animation".

    You might as well refer to a knife as a spoon because they are both silverware.

  7. #127
    I'd like to have it as well.. just because it triggers so many people. The tears would be delicious and great content.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Except they didn't both fail. Titan has nothing to do with WoW. At all. FF failed and had to shut down and relaunch. WoW has not shut down. Stop trying to promote a false narrative. It is embarrassing.
    titans fail team is your current wow team. Its embarrassing you can't put 1+1 together.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    No I'm not, anime as a word still retains both its meanings.
    Not in the English Language.

    You know words can have multiple definitions right?
    They can. But in this case...Anime refers specifically to one specific style of animation. King of the Hill is not, by the defintion we have given the word, "Anime"

    It's okay this wont be the last borrowed word we bastardize.
    It won't be...so it's baffling why you feel a need to die on this hill.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    titans fail team is your current wow team. Its embarrassing you can't put 1+1 together.
    Titan's "fail team" developed Overwatch. It's embarassing you can't put 1+1 together.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I don't wanna be all "Urgh FF is too weeb for me" But I like legit just don't like the artstyle? And yeh, it kinda correlates to the specific aesthetics eastern MMO's seem to rely on.

    A bummer tho, because the designs themselves are great, but the artstyle just doesn't do it for me.

    Also I just can't with elezen proportions.
    It's also easily among my biggest pet peeves with it. I see FF14 screnshots and I'm like... I get that a lot of work went into this but it's just 100% not to my tastes and I don't like it. That's assuming I can even tell what's going on between all the particle effect, overdesigned outfits and the fact that while it's got a higher fidelity than WoW, it's starting to lag noticeably behind modern games in a way that WoW's cartoony graphics don't.


    As for the OP, despite the name this place is clearly more of a Blizzard fansite than a general MMO one. I don't see what's wrong with a FF14 section, but I doubt it's going to attract that many people.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

    The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

  11. #131
    If this will truly hurt someones feelings it could be an opt-in option, then if there's FFXIV news on your front page you only have yourself to blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by mbit View Post
    titans fail team is your current wow team. Its embarrassing you can't put 1+1 together.
    You really just should give up man.
    Fact: Final Fantasy shut down and had to relaunch
    Fact: WoW has been going for 16 years, soon to be 17.
    Fact: Titan is not WoW

  13. #133
    The only reason FFXIV isn't on the front page is likely because the people in charge only care about WoW, seemingly. They don't care how tremendously successful FFXIV is.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    You really just should give up man.
    Fact: Final Fantasy shut down and had to relaunch
    Fact: WoW has been going for 16 years, soon to be 17.
    Fact: Titan is not WoW
    FFXIV realized their problems and relaunched with a far superior product. WoW has been going for 16 years and never tries to be better even after insane amounts of backlash.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Ah thank you for informing me that only the most sophisticated and classy of players play FFXIV, I am just a simple mountain dew chugger. /s

    You might not be elitist in skill, but you and so many other FFXIV sure do have the attitude. Honestly feel bad for the FFXIV community, because that attitude is only a cancer that will grow much like it did in the wow community.


    Yep, they sure do love their holier-than-thou platitude over there.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...munity_at_the/

    They are too relaxed and welcoming, their gamestyle too inclusive to be toxic... Only, they go the opposite direction and become toxic about their perceived superiority in taste and fandom.

    Just shows that no matter what, humans WILL create "us vs them". I shouldn't be surprised after what I saw as a moderator on a dog forum, but hell...

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The only reason FFXIV isn't on the front page is likely because the people in charge only care about WoW, seemingly. They don't care how tremendously successful FFXIV is.
    Yeah the FF part of the forums is VERY robust with... let's see, 34 people viewing. Woo!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    FFXIV realized their problems and relaunched with a far superior product. WoW has been going for 16 years and never tries to be better even after insane amounts of backlash.
    You are providing an opinion. I was providing facts. I don't care about your 'feels' on the issue. I am correcting wrong statements made by someone else.

    And as far as your opinion goes: You may view FF as superior. I don't. Simple as that.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    English sucks ass then, I'm glad there arent actually rules like that.
    There are actually rules like that. They're called definitions. In the English language...we use the English definitions of words. A different language definition of a word doesn't apply.

    It doesn't though, I certainly didnt use it that way.
    It does. It's literally the definition of how the word is used in the english language. Considering we are speaking english...that's the definition that applies. How you are using the word is objectively incorrect. By saying KotH is a "American Anime" You are, by definition, saying that KotH is "American Japanese Animation"

    I'm not dying on any hill, you're the one dying on the "not understanding how words work" hill.
    Words work by their defintion. You aren't using the word by it's definition. If anyone is having trouble undserstanding how words work...it is you.

    Anime refers to a specific kind of animation. King of the Hill does not fall in line with that specific kind of animation. Again, you are calling a Knife a Spoon because they both fall under the general category of sliverware.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-09-12 at 09:59 PM.

  17. #137
    Over 9000! Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Twilight Town
    Posts
    9,166
    I mean there could just be a Final Fantasy page with news on the front page like there is for Heroes and Overwatch. Final Fantasy 14 is more active than both of those games anyways.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Yeah the FF part of the forums is VERY robust with... let's see, 34 people viewing. Woo!

    - - - Updated - - -



    You are providing an opinion. I was providing facts. I don't care about your 'feels' on the issue. I am correcting wrong statements made by someone else.

    And as far as your opinion goes: You may view FF as superior. I don't. Simple as that.
    You were leaving out actual facts and why those things happened. You don't view FFXIV in a positive light because you cling to WoW. This is evident by how you blatantly left out information for WHY FFXIV relaunched and how WoW has become an abject failure in their 16 years of running. Also forum viewing doesn't declare success. Maybe the reason there aren't so many people viewing it is because the people in charge of this site have made it clear they don't give a fuck about any game that isn't made by Blizzard.

    Oh and there's the fact that every single FFXIV thread gets fucking invaded by WoW fanatics to talk about how shit they think the game is.
    Last edited by TheRevenantHero; 2021-09-12 at 10:04 PM.

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    I, too, can pull numbers out of my ass.
    Facts not numbers. I play both games and every single time I step foot in wow it has 4x more players I see.

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    I thought that this whole anime on the internet stuff is mostly dead by now actually. I remember it very well that in the past many if not most people on the internet had anime avatars, incl. here on MMOC.

    At this point it's just mostly creepy old dudes.
    The new generations of kids LOVE anime and it's becoming more mainstream than ever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •