Page 1 of 2
LastLast

MMO-Champion should change its name

I don't think MMO-Champion is the proper name for this site.

The name bespeaks that it would cover all MMOs, or at least the popular ones.

The fact that is only covers WoW means the name is improper.

WoW-Champion would be much more appropriate and descriptive.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Just watching the house burn down.

It's MMO-Champion, not Champions. Name is fine.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I think WoW-Champion-With-Other-Blizzard-Related-News would be a little more apt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post

The fact that WoW is the undisputed champion of all MMOs, the website name is just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoWloveEchoChamber.org

or

WoWsucksFireIon.net

Depending on who you listen to.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    WoWloveEchoChamber.org
    In what way is MMOC an echochamber?

You want an echochamber you have r/wow right there...

With the shit show that is Blizzard and Wow they should branch out more, but let's be realistic, this forum format is dying. Very few use these types of forums any more. It pretty noticeable that traffic on here has fallen off quite a bit
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seasz View Post
    In what way is MMOC an echochamber?

You want an echochamber you have r/wow right there...
    Shouting down dissenting or differing opinions is a trademark of an echo chamber.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalocy Jim View Post
    The fact that WoW is the undisputed champion of all MMOs, the website name is just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    With the shit show that is Blizzard and Wow they should branch out more, but let's be realistic, this forum format is dying. Very few use these types of forums any more. It pretty noticeable that traffic on here has fallen off quite a bit
    This is true, but I think that it is more about WoW dying and this website being so strongly tied to it. Websites can get typecast even if there name is so general that it looks like they are hedging there bets. It had a good run and so did all the youtubers and players that fell in love with the game and kept hoping it would be reinvented back to the experience it once created. I predict one last set of cash grabs with the rarest mounts and gear and achievements, then the company will be sold like a plot of land that was once rich farm land but now is just sand and dust and toxic waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post

To be fair, I’d use it more if they didnt overload my phone with ads, constantly redirect me to random ad websites on here, and make up about 60% of the ‘cookies tracking your browsing data’ that my software shows me even though I come here maybe once a week max.

Even now, I’m typing this comment and my phone is so hot it feels like its about to burn my finger. Only this site. Constantly crashes my iPhone X.

I like this type of forum, I use it to still follow games I used to play, but they make it really really hard to use. Like its worse than those sketchy news websites. Has made me use the forum less and less over the years.

(i’ve been redirected to advertisements 6 times while typing this comment)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Everything is artificially prolonging the game, it's called the game

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Wow built the mmo genre into what it is today. It might not have had the most players(if you count f2p) nor might it have had the best quality depending on who you ask but it turned the mmo genre from something niche into a well known thing and even drove the development of all the future mmos. Hell Square Enix saw how well known WoW was becoming and started developing its second mmo 3 years into the release of the first.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a name. It can be about Tetris, while keeping that name. Because it's just a name.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Wow built the mmo genre into what it is today. It might not have had the most players(if you count f2p) nor might it have had the best quality depending on who you ask but it turned the mmo genre from something niche into a well known thing and even drove the development of all the future mmos. Hell Square Enix saw how well known WoW was becoming and started developing its second mmo 3 years into the release of the first.
    This was not a statement that WoW never did anything important, it is a statement that WoW is far from that time when it was on the top of the hill looking down at the imitators and mediocres. It had a good run and believe me I loved it so much when it was at its best and I made some awesome friendships, but the star that is WoW is dying and players are looking elsewhere for the social warmth and abundance of creative life that it used to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    This was not a statement that WoW never did anything important, it is a statement that WoW is far from that time when it was on the top of the hill looking down at the imitators and mediocres. It had a good run and believe me I loved it so much when it was at its best and I made some awesome friendships, but the star that is WoW is dying and players are looking elsewhere for the social warmth and abundance of creative life that it used to offer.
    My point was that Champion has multiple meanings:

"a person who has defeated or surpassed all rivals in a competition, especially in sports.

a person who fights or argues for a cause or on behalf of someone else.
    "a champion of women's rights"

verb
    support the cause of; defend.

Wow has done more for the genre than any other mmo so definition 2 applies. And even if it didn't do the most, just supporting them would still allow the title to apply to them(and any others who did the same).

And technically you can still apply definition one to it as well since it surpassed all its rivals. Even with the current MMO's ESO had to start over and Final Fantasy had to start over twice while Wow is still trotting along.

Now if the website was Greatest/BestMMO, MMOst-Subs or something like that then you could argue the title doesn't apply to WoW.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    WoW didn't build the MMO Genre into what it is today! Sony Online Entertainment EverQuest was the one that started it in the current form! Blizzard took the idea from there and build upon it also at the same time as WoW Sony Online Entertainment released EverQuest 2 all these games started as subscription games. Also EverQuest was also the one that kinda invented the Xpack model for subbase mmo... For PvP-oriented you could say that Dark Age of Camelot really nail down that model.

All Blizzard did was copy it all and drop their IP on top of it... and after they kept taking features from other MMO's not sure if there is anything in WoW that WoW really did first apart from better marketing... even the classic model was taken of other games...

They should rename it to:

Internet Website Dedicated to World of Warcraft With a Smaller Emphasis on Other Video Games

Or something else equally snappy.

Quote Originally Posted by |Dexter| View Post
    WoW didn't build the MMO Genre into what it is today! Sony Online Entertainment EverQuest was the one that started it in the current form! Blizzard took the idea from there and build upon it also at the same time as WoW Sony Online Entertainment released EverQuest 2 all these games started as subscription games. Also EverQuest was also the one that kinda invented the Xpack model for subbase mmo... For PvP-oriented you could say that Dark Age of Camelot really nail down that model.

All Blizzard did was copy it all and drop their IP on top of it... and after they kept taking features from other MMO's not sure if there is anything in WoW that WoW really did first apart from better marketing... even the classic model was taken of other games...
    I never said WoW was the first mmo I said the built it into an actual genre people heard about. MMO's were a niche genre before Wow. Everyone and their grandma heard about WoW.

Does no one remember the little knight guy icon we had forever?
    He was the mmo champion I always thought.
    Boub played wow so it catered to it but we had rift and other stuff over the years.
    I just assumed it was the little guy himself.

Rip little man.

Didn't Boubouille explain it ever?

In addition Blizzard should change its name as it bespeaks that it relates to winter weather.

While we are at it Delta Airlines should change its name as it bespeaks a way for the latest COVID19 variant to travel.

And....

The list is indefinite.

AI Won't take jobs away from people, people who embrace AI will take jobs away from people.

10+ Year Old Account

The name is fine. Nothing says it has to cover all MMOs, it just says MMO-Champion.

It is a name they've taken for themselves, and it covers an MMO, and said MMO has been the reigning champion for quite some time. You don't just change the label because what product you are a fan of has dropped in rating but there is no valid result of who is the champion.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..