Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yes,

It allows Blizzard to release Classic as it was originally intended (part of TBC was supposed to be part of Classic). TBC then would not have happened the way it did. Blood Elves as part of Wotlk Expansion? No introduction of draenei the way it was done. Would Blood Elves have been horde to start with? Or would they have been alliance with the roles of Night Elves and Undead in their initial campaign switched around? Ogres for horde instead? There are so many things they could have done differently, and it would be really cool to see such an alternative wow story develop.

I mean... I wouldn't support it by actually playing on it, but I don't see a reason to be vehemently against it neither at this point. It's been made clear by now that no, it'll never be quite the same due to how players have changed. If the team specifically involved in Classic want to make new content for that stuff, go ahead. I don't think it'd lead to less development on Live, especially considering the new hires.

It's not as if creating a new raid using Classic assets and mechanics would require much either way.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-09-12 at 04:23 PM.

I really feel like a lot of people are missing the point here. What people want is the gameplay, atmosphere and aesthetic of Classic, but with new content to do. This isn't 'just play Retail', or 'TBC already exists'.

People are looking to fork what Classic was. Instead of moving into TBC, it goes in a different direction, with different content that keeps the Classic mindset and mentality.

Classic+ would just be a retcon nightmare, they won't be able to add stuff to it without affecting the subsequent expansions.

If they ever want to make this i could see a seasonal thing with periodic server resets, but way too much work for something that's played by a fraction of the players when they have huge issues with the game as a whole.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Meh, but only on Classic. If they could take it to Retail, that would be one thing, but, just on Classic and derivatives? Who cares?
    there will always be a fixed classic server where all characters end up when a fresh cycle is over, because blizzard will never delete/reset those chars

Have you guys considered getting a life instead of obsessing over this old game over and over again? Classic already happened once.
    If they gave you classic+, it would be only a matter of time before you would be asking for classic++. You're never going to get the feeling of nostalgia back.

Fresh servers. Yes.

Classic+, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    Classic fresh? absolutely.

Classic+? No. Any new content should be added to retail.
    Agree.
    What Blizzard should do is fine-tune Classic WoW. For example, no world buffs in raids and dungeons, fix 'smart' kiting paths and hiding spots to stop the exploitation of dungeons and raids to farm gold and materials (that distort the economy), address mage-boosting such that it is eliminated, reduce xp gains to members of a group if that group contains at least 1 member who is at a significantly higher level, and properly eliminate the botting. Roughly speaking these measures seek to reduce the cheesing.
    Classic WoW has the potential to be the greatest MMO. The basis is there, but will Blizzard do it?

15+ Year Old Account
    BC and LK are Classic+. After these... not sure what is going to happen. The willingness to replay further expansions is probably quite low in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    it would be only a matter of time before you would be asking for classic++. You're never going to get the feeling of nostalgia back.
    ??? I'm pretty sure you have no idea why people enjoy these old expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I really feel like a lot of people are missing the point here. What people want is the gameplay, atmosphere and aesthetic of Classic, but with new content to do. This isn't 'just play Retail', or 'TBC already exists'.

People are looking to fork what Classic was. Instead of moving into TBC, it goes in a different direction, with different content that keeps the Classic mindset and mentality.
    This is exactly why I like the idea of classic+ and fresh servers. You said it really well, so no need to add to what you said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Classic+ would just be a retcon nightmare, they won't be able to add stuff to it without affecting the subsequent expansions.

If they ever want to make this i could see a seasonal thing with periodic server resets, but way too much work for something that's played by a fraction of the players when they have huge issues with the game as a whole.
    I see your point. Id say though that it doesn't really need to affect the subsequent expansions. It would be like a branch of WoW in and of itself, with the gameplay, atmosphere and aesthetic of classic. Maybe like an alternate reality that the players are living and experiencing. Sort of a matrix WoW

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Have you guys considered getting a life instead of obsessing over this old game over and over again? Classic already happened once.
    If they gave you classic+, it would be only a matter of time before you would be asking for classic++. You're never going to get the feeling of nostalgia back.
    It could be argued that you are doing the same thing, posting about a nearly 20 year old game (you do have 17k posts). Telling people to "get a life and stop obsessing over an old game" is very condescending and rude. Its a hobby. Its an interest. Why shouldn't we be able to talk about our hobbies and interests especially on a forum dedicated to that very idea. And furthermore, why does it bother you if there is a server with new classic era content apart from the retail version that you presumably play? It doesn't hurt you in the slightest, just don't play on this hypothetical server we are talking about.

Classic+ means it possibly changes the experience many longed for too much.
    Classic fresh might mean it`s pointless to invest time and effort, who is to say they only
    "reset" your character once?

What about Classic fresh season 2?
    Spend time getting to max level, get gear, game resets, repeat the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    No, they aren't.

Everyone is looking for something different. See:

This person is suggesting they redo the entirety of WoW's story from the ground up while they have the chance. Which isn't going to happen, they aren't going to simultaneously make two stories for the same game just cause some people didn't like it the first time. (Nevermind how silly an idea it is to have the SAME PEOPLE who messed up the last one, make the second one, and hope it "stays true" the second time.)

This person wants the 2005 community back. Classic proved we're not getting the 2005 community back. It wasn't Classic that made the 2005 community, the community made the 2005 community, and the community doesn't WANT to go back to the 2005 community - Classic+ community will be absolutely no different in that regard.

The problem is, nobody has any idea of what "different content that keeps the Classic mindset and mentality" means. ESPECIALLY not Blizzard, so why people ask Blizzard to do it is beyond me.
    Those are all the same thing though.

The base game of what Classic was, continued. New stories, new quests, new dungeons, new raids, on top of Classic. One dude wants to see what that would look like. What that story could be.

The other dude hopes that having a game more in line with WoW at launch would have a deeper community. A community that would be coming together to do new content, not the same content they've been doing for the past 15 years.

You're trying to divide people into different buckets here, when the reality is that it's all the same thing. Sure, not everyone has the same ideas as to how it should exactly work, but that is literally the same thing when it comes to discussing new expansions, new classes, new races, etc...

People are asking Blizzard for it because it's what they want. They want that game back. They want to do new and fun things in that game. Why is that hard to understand?

Why no poll ???

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    It is literally not. Precisely for the reason of:

That one problem would literally divide every single person at every turn. What should change vs. what shouldn't. What is in spirit of Classic vs. what isn't. Should they redesign entire zones because it's more in the spirit of Classic, even if that is how Classic was? What, exactly, would the beta Hellfire Penninsula have looked like if not the BC Hellfire?

Nobody has the answer to these, and every single person will have a different exact answer. How can you say it's "in the spirit of Classic" without knowing any of this?
    This argument implies that people cannot want something because there isn't absolute consensus with every single detail. That's ridiculous. PEople are more than capable of wanting generally the same thing, having different opinions on the details, and compromising when it comes to a finished product. This is literally how every single product works.

Everybody doesn't need to have the same exact idea. This is exactly how retail WoW is developed. Not everyone gets exactly what they want because they may want different things. Should we just stop all WoW development because there isn't 100% consensus from everyone?

But how many of those things are "in the spirit of Classic"? Aren't those new things PRECISELY what constitute a new expansion? In which case, aren't you just asking for expansions, for free?
    No? The idea is simple: continued content development for Classic. This need not be expansions. It could just as easily be content patches. It could contain zero mechanical changes. It could be just new content.

Because you're asking for MORE than that game, not that game back. You're misunderstanding what you're asking for.
    Do not tell me I'm misunderstanding what I'm asking for. That is a ridiculous level of hubris on your part.

If you want that game back, Classic already exists.

If you want that gameplay back, Classic already exists.

If you want that community back, that's not coming back.

If you want more content added to Classic, you are asking for something entirely different than what Classic was by nature.
    Yes. That is what's being asked for here. Classic with new content. It is different. It is an extension of what Classic is. It;s the setting, gameplay, aesthetic, mechanics, and environment of Classic... Continued. That is the crux of it. Taking Classic as a base and building on top of it new stories, dungeons, quests and raids for players to enjoy. Pointing out that Classic already exists is silly. We know it does.

Classic + is nothing more than a fantasy that will never become a reality. It's nothing more than a topic of discussion. Blizzard will never develop any new content for WoW besides retail content and do you even want a modern day dev team developing a classic + seeing as how awful the state of retail is in the present?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalocy Jim View Post
    Classic+ Fresh would mean everyone starts at level 1 and things are added as additional / new content in the vanilla wow client. More / changed raids, more / changed dungeons. Game mechanics added / altered. New zones, new lore, new quests etc. Game / class balance changes. More QoL things like AoE looting, larger stack sizes, etc.

-Yes
    -No
    -Maybe

For me, id like to see something like that. I'd make a character on that type of realm / game.
    No thanks. I'd rather the game moves forward than attempt to fix their mistakes by polishing nostalgia for a better reaction. Classic, though limited at the player base thoughts and ideas, is a good side project but isn't, nor should be the main project.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Realistically they would have to put some semblance of effort into it which I doubt they would do and put a lot of effort into designing the game based on player feedback. A big issue here is there a huge extremes in Classic community as far as what that entails, making it a pretty hard project to pull off.

There would need to be new dungeons, new raids, honor system revamp, and the classes would need to play like TBC classes to be perfectly honest. An advancement in story along with other little features as well. The TLDR here is that it would have to be in the spirit of Classic (or TBC to be perfectly honest) with new content. The possibility that they do this is pretty slim.

I'd much rather they make a new WoW right from the beginning with an entirely different story and a better idea of where they want to take the story if I'm being honest.

The main things I would want from Classic+ would be a balancing pass. Attempt to make all specs viable, I know the game will never be perfectly balanced, but make specs viable for a random pug at least. Aside from that, probably do something about world buffs, and reduce the amount of exp required to level. An LFG tool would nice too, but not a dungeon finder.

I think it could be interesting but I doubt it would ever happen in a way I prefer. A lot of stuff ppl want for classic + I dont agree with. I personally like older rpg philosophies like the hybrid tax. Im sure many want feral, moonkin, spriest, rets, etc to be buffed.

I like how classic and tbc are set up. Slower levelling. You can "feel" upgrades. You hunt for specific pieces. Ilvl isn't always king. I dislike retail gearing. Grind out your m+, hope for luck from great vault, higher ilvl 99% means just equip it. In classic, i can name every piece of gear i have and where it came from. I cannot in retail.

Id like to just see new raids and stuff added. Maybe increase some difficulties.

I dont want to see rebalancing, portals, dual spec, transmog or other retail qol.

Yes I wish they would. I think they should have seasonal servers with a different theme and changes each season.

Could be anywhere from class rebalancing, retuned raids, dungeons leveled to 60, new items, retuned Tier gear for other specs, new classes/specs; there is a metric ton of things they could experiment with, and because the servers are seasonal and only go for 6mo or so if something is unbalanced no one is going to really care because a reset is right around the corner.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2021-09-13 at 02:19 PM.