Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
    $2000 for a GPU a bargain? I guess if you make $3000+ week it could be considered one?
    People paying that much to scalpers for GPUs are also another reason why we're in this GPU "crisis". It enables these people who use bots to keep buying up GPUs to make massive amounts of money and the cycle will continue.
    I mean, gaming is my hobby. Compared to shit my colleagues do with gambling, poker and BS, that's a cheap AF hobby.

Like a guy here downed $2k USD one day on a poker game that did not go well, he joked that his wife will make him sleep on the street next 3 days. And it won't be his last. That's like money gone poof... compared to that 3080Ti you at least get to enjoy for 3 years or so.

Another guy spent good $10k USD for boating lessons and captain license, because he wants to lease a small boat to take on a self-made cruise in Mediterranean.

And it's not like we're some giga investors and billionaires, plain run off the mill devs working for some fintech corp. It's a shitty work with occasional crunch/overtime and we're doing stuff we like to unwind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I mean, gaming is my hobby.
    Even with $2k GPUs every few years, PC gaming is still a cheap hobby. Its the equivalent to buying 1 lens for photography or to buy a single roadbike wheel that you replace after 1-2 seasons.

The spending is ridiculed because you have people with no disposable income also in PC gaming and it doesnt matter if you buy a $50 GPU or a $2000 GPU, people will still argue that its to much for a hobby.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Even with $2k GPUs every few years, PC gaming is still a cheap hobby. Its the equivalent to buying 1 lens for photography or to buy a single roadbike wheel that you replace after 1-2 seasons.

The spending is ridiculed because you have people with no disposable income also in PC gaming and it doesnt matter if you buy a $50 GPU or a $2000 GPU, people will still argue that its to much for a hobby.
    But paying 1k more for your GPU than it should cost, also means it's 1k away from other hobbies or saving for the next purchase. Granted some people don't care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    But paying 1k more for your GPU than it should cost, also means it's 1k away from other hobbies or saving for the next purchase. Granted some people don't care about that.
    MSRP priced GPUs are basicly just lottery* / heavy discounted products that have nothing to do with the reality of supply and demand. This is not even new since COVID and the WFH+LOCKDOWN explosion in demand.

Or do you want to tell me that the 2080-Ti was a $999 GPU because NVIDIA subsidized one variant for 2 months? The street price was $1300-1400 and even awfull OEM variants from alienware were sold above "MSRP" with USED condition.

At some point reality needs to set in and meme'ing with MSRP prices was maybe a good laugh for 1-2 months but that joke is now 1 year to old to be funny.

* of course the lottery part is highly exaggerated, you only have to be smarter as the average GPU customer that cant and wont deal with a simple stock discord.
    Last edited by Ange; 2021-09-20 at 02:19 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    MSRP priced GPUs are basicly just lottery* / heavy discounted products that have nothing to do with the reality of supply and demand. This is not even new since COVID and the WFH+LOCKDOWN explosion in demand.

Or do you want to tell me that the 2080-Ti was a $999 GPU because NVIDIA subsidized one variant for 2 months? The street price was $1300-1400 and even awfull OEM variants from alienware were sold above "MSRP" with USED condition.

At some point reality needs to set in and meme'ing with MSRP prices was maybe a good laugh for 1-2 months but that joke is now 1 year to old to be funny.

* of course the lottery part is highly exaggerated, you only have to be smarter as the average GPU customer that cant and wont deal with a simple stock discord.
    It's not like 2080ti was good value either. Even at $999 it was a pretty mediocre purchase if you had a 10 series, especially 1080ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    GPUs locally were always a good couple hundred bucks overpriced. Given the situation and the quotes by Nvidia CEO that this is going to persist well into 2022, I see little to no sense to wait for messiah in hopes of saving couple hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    GPUs locally were always a good couple hundred bucks overpriced. Given the situation and the quotes by Nvidia CEO that this is going to persist well into 2022, I see little to no sense to wait for messiah in hopes of saving couple hundred bucks.
    Dunno, at least in here, when times are normal.. You get stuff very near what msrp + VAT would be be if I ordered it from the US.

But yea, it's not like the situation is getting better for a while, though it is now projected we'll have oversupply of silicon by 2023. And Nvidia is supposedly launching a 30 series refresh in a not too distant future as well. So overall if you are buying a gpu right now it's not really the best time unless you really need an upgrade. I can't run my resolution at max settings, but at this point am just skipping any upgrade and just waiting for next gen as they could bring a huge leap in performance with finally getting past the problem of silicon size with going MCM.

I know many ain't in a position that they can wait as waiting means no gaming and then I do understand getting a gpu in this market.