Have they explained how some souls can manifest themselves on Azeroth?

I haven't had the chance to play Shadowlands as much as I would like to, so I have missed if they have.

Have they explained in this expansion how souls are able to manifest themselves on Azeroth? I understand that things like the ghosts in the ruins in Ashenvale and Darkshore are souls that are stuck, but what about souls that temporarily show up?

i can't say 100% they haven't but they never addressed it in 9.0. i stopped playing in January. the closest i follow the lore anymore is the cinematics that get posted to the home page. but i haven't seen any discussion on this so my guess is no.

Nope, never really explained. Some souls are able to cross the veil of life and death, but this seems to be a thing only really done by Kyrians in the form of Spirit Healers, and Maldraxxus soldiers looking for intel.

Not to but too fine a point on it, but I wouldnt personally try to make sense of the Shadowlands. The afterlife should stay inherently unexplainable, and this expansion is a perfect example of why. Trying to explain even the simplest things leads to further questions that in turn cannot be answered without themselves opening up a new can of worms.

If I were to hazard a guess as to what the explanation could possibly be, I would say souls with strong ties to life can briefly manifest through sheer force of will, but in the absence of conclusive proof this is just a theory.
    The world revamp dream will never die!