Lightbulb Necro Feral - Rot Build

Hey Everyone,

I've been swapping covenants quite a lot lately to try out Feral and it's scaling with other covenant abilities. Crazily (after loads of sims and raid logging), I discovered that I pull equal to or slightly less damage than Night Fae Feral (~200 DPS loss in some sims). That being said, Necro Feral might scale better than Night Fae Feral... So I figured I'd share some knowledge about the pros / cons of Necro Feral. Especially since we should be able to freely switch between covenants soon, so ya'll should give it a shot (Necro Boomy?!?! whaaa)

First off, the pros and cons:

Pros
    - Damage is consistent, as in your damage is not all front loaded into a convoke, which can be very RNG (none of your Ferocious Bite's getting crits during Convoke? Looks like you're going to be mid or lower pack on the meters)
    - DoTs tick when away from the target; additionally, Moonfire builds combo points when running mechanics out, giving a ranged ability within cat form
    - Buffs Sunfire when Owlweaving
    - Rotation is very engaging. Between keeping Savage Roar up + maintaining all of your DoTs, you won't fall asleep.
    - More burst opportunities (not as impactful as convoke mind you), but Feral Frenzy + Ferocious Bites on a 45 second window.
    - Additional Damage Reduction with shield.

Cons
    - Adaptive Swarm can and will jump to targets without DoTs on them, or it will jump to a target that is immune to damage / takes reduced damage. This does drop your damage drastically (losing a 40% DoT buff to your primary target. Blizzard needs to change Adaptive Swarm to jump to your primary target instead of a random target to fix this. We should ask Blizzard to help out with this.).
    - Slightly less AoE damage. Convoke does *occassionally* hit additional targets, but not reliable. Not really a game changer.
    - Reliant on a single legendary, Draught of Deep Focus, the buff the leggo provides to our DoTs with Adaptive Swarm is just too good.
    - Not as much burst damage on priority targets. If you need CRAZY burst, you need to be Night Fae or Venthyr, this build is a rot build, and only offers burst with Feral Frenzy.
    - Covenant legendary is cool, but has way too much ramp up time and is not competitive. It can mantain almost 100% uptime on adaptive swarm in ST situations, but that's not as powerful as Draught of Deep Focus. Along the lines of AoE, it takes too long to spread; however, you can spread Adaptive Swarm to everything (almost 40% buff to all targets that have rip). So maybe? I still need to test.
    - If there is more than one target, and since Adapative Swarm can jump to a different target, cleave fights might be tough to pull competitive damage.

Secondly, stat weights DRASTICALLY change. Night Fae Feral requires a lot of crit (up to 40% total) before other stats become more important, but for Necro, Haste + Crit + Vers are almost identitical in weight, which is pretty awesome. I was able to get a build with 30% haste, 30% crit, 30% mastery, and 10% vers unbuffed.

Thirdly, Draught of Deep Focus is the go to Legendary, by a long shot!

These are the talents:

- Lunar Inspiration
    - Wild Charge
    - Balance Affinity
    - Heart of the Wild
    - Savage Roar
    - Brutal Slash
    - Feral Frenzy

DO NOT SELECT Bonesmith Heirmer as your soulbind! Instead you need to go with Plague Deviser. Uptime on the mastery buff is 100% AND you get 6% damage increase for about 50% of the fight. Which is way stronger than 3% extra damage for the last 35% of the boss's health.

Note: Take all three offensive conduits. Use the following in order:
    - Evolved Swarm
    - Sudden Ambush
    - Carnivorous Instincts

For the skeptical people out there, I'd share logs, but I'm a new member. Just look up Aedruid - Thrall on Warcraft logs if interested.

Notice that anything with more than one target or intermission phases, Necro Feral damage does drop a decent bit. I think if Feral Frenzy gets a good buff, and with an Adapative Swarm always targeting your primary target, this will be fixed. I should get on the PTR and see if I can be persuasive.

Anyways, give it a shot, it is pretty hard to get used to / master, but it is a load of fun!

Thank you for this, it was helpful.

Ya'll ready to swap to Necro in 9.2?