Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Is the Center Left Ascendant in 2022?

Norway’s center-left heads to victory in yesterday's general elections.
    Center Left parties are also leading in upcoming elections in:
    • Canada
    • California
    • Germany

Are electorate's turning to the Center Left to manage the way forward from Covid?

Depends mostly for who you can vote. But overall in EU, we can see that people reject both extrems (left and right).

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The SPD's centre-left days have long since past, meanwhile Canada is still between the conservatives and liberals.. so yea..

The Norway left did grow though, so i'll give them that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Depends mostly for who you can vote. But overall in EU, we can see that people reject both extrems (left and right).
    Like In Italy? Or Austria? Or France? Or The 3 far right parties(4 in the polls) in dutch parliament? They are really good at keeping the far left at bay though, i'll give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    The SPD's centre-left days have long since past, meanwhile Canada is still between the conservatives and liberals.. so yea..

The Norway left did grow though, so i'll give them that.

- - - Updated - - -

Like In Italy? Or Austria? Or France? Or The 3 far right parties(4 in the polls) in dutch parliament? They are really good at keeping the far left at bay though, i'll give you that.
    Not my fault that the left in the EU sucks so much and can't make people vote for them (as they do not tend to solve people problems).

10+ Year Old Account
    Not my fault that the left in the EU sucks so much and can't make people vote for them.
    Nah, our center-right and far right are just really good at bullshitting, I give them that.
    (as they do not tend to solve people problems)
    Gotta get elected to even try doing it. But they did really well back in the 50s to 70s, could have had better foreign policies, but they solved plenty of stuff back home so that was nice.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2021-09-14 at 03:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not my fault that the left in the EU sucks so much and can't make people vote for them (as they do not tend to solve people problems).
    A great example is to peruse the election threads from 2020. When the Leftiest-People-you-know-on-MMOC were threatening to "burn everything down" and send people to guillotines, etc. Or discouraging other from voting in a "rigged system", and "nothing really matters" doomerisms.

They're a very small but annoying loud faction that hurts the messaging of the broader Left.

IRL examples are the GRÜNE.
    • They led German polls based on pragmatic messaging in the spring.
    • The lead went to their heads, they got more extreme in their messaging. Their polls collapsed.

Nina Turner in the Ohio special election.
    • Led in early polls styling herself as an "Obama Democrat".
    • Went extreme in the summer to win the podcaster vote, her lead collapsed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    A great example is to peruse the election threads from 2020. When the Leftiest-People-you-know-on-MMOC were threatening to "burn everything down" and send people to guillotines, etc. Or discouraging other from voting in a "rigged system", and "nothing really matters" doomerisms.

They're a very small but annoying loud faction that hurts the messaging of the broader Left.

IRL examples are the GRÜNE.
    • They led German polls based on pragmatic messaging in the spring.
    • The lead went to their heads, they got more extreme in their messaging. Their polls collapsed.

• Led in early polls styling herself as an "Obama Democrat".
    • Went extreme in the summer to win the podcaster vote, her lead collapsed.
    To you, extreme means actually supporting center-left policies instead of staying in the centre-right. The bloody German greens lost votes over slightly stronger green policies, for jesus fucking christ.

idiotic drivel trying to draw some sort of equivalency between the American and European centre or centre left parties.
    You do fucking understand that the comparison doesn't fucking work whatsoever.

The American "centre left" is basically any European centre right liberal.

Your bullshit is quite exhausting. In Europe the Dems would literally be considered a far right party (on economics).

Jesus, the fucking Tories in the UK are far to the left of the Democratic party.

Jury is still out on just where the hell Turner really stands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Jury is still out on just where the hell Turner really stands.
    She is just another version of Krysten Sinema, that appears more frequently on podcasts instead of CNN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Center Left parties are also leading in upcoming elections in...Canada
    Not particularly. The Liberals (which are more pure centre) are basically tied with the Conservatives (which are internally falling under the control of the socons). The Liberals tend to be more efficient (The cons have a lot of "wasted" votes in the west where they routinely win 80%+ of the vote in a lot of ridings, so a lot of their vote percentage isn't actually going to earn them more seats), so with the same vote percentage, they're probably to end up with more seats and another minority government. Though surprises may happen.

The NDP is getting higher than usual polling, but it remains to be seen how that converts to seats. And even then, it's a far cry from the orange crush years, much less any probability of forming government.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Who is this mystical extreme left party?
    Only thing I see is extreme right and the regular right going further to the right and then expecting everybody to follow them in the new center.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Who is this mystical extreme left party?
    Only thing I see is extreme right and the regular right going further to the right and then expecting everybody to follow them in the new center.
    In France, we got LFI (radical left). They did good in 2017 but they are far behind compare to center candidate.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just made that up, didn't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

In France, we got LFI (radical left). They did good in 2017 but they are far behind compare to center candidate.
    I mean based on the wiki page they are hardly a party that people even considered coming "close to power".
    If this is the best people come can come up with how the extreme left looks (taking your word) then this is kind a joke because this party is hardly in a position that they are dictating any sort of policy.

I mean based on the wiki page they are hardly a party that people even considered coming "close to power".
    If this is the best people come can come up with how the extreme left looks (taking your word) then this is kind a joke because this party is hardly in a position that they are dictating any sort of policy.
    As I said, people tends to reject extreme be it right or left. And in France, there is not much left remaining anyway after 2017.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said, people tends to reject extreme be it right or left. And in France, there is not much left remaining anyway after 2017.
    Again, that is wrong, the far right is rather popular in Europe and Le Pen is like 47% to Macron's 53% in the latest polling in France.

- - - Updated - - -

The only have like 2-3% of the seats,relative to the far right its nothing.

Just his usual bullshit.

In the US the far right is ascendant. 2020 was a breather from Trump, but it's looking like 2022 will be republican control of the House and Senate, pressure to impeach and remove President Biden, and solid victories in the state battles.

There will be outlier states like California, but these will become more and more isolated over time, with the rest of the country working hard to sabotage these states.

10+ Year Old Account
    Center is the way to go, extremist right/left are just a various forms of cancer. It's just people who just want to smash things.

I absolutely prefer mixing some of the left's ideas about social and medical security, abortions and equality with some of the right's ideas about liberal economy, free markets, meritocracy and state building.

It's really better when everything is in balance and then slowly over time with consensus it can go either way, without trying to uproot and destroy everything overnight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    In the US the far right is ascendant. 2020 was a breather from Trump, but it's looking like 2022 will be republican control of the House and Senate, pressure to impeach and remove President Biden, and solid victories in the state battles.

There will be outlier states like California, but these will become more and more isolated over time, with the rest of the country working hard to sabotage these states.
    It's all waves there as usual as far as I can see, constant back and forth. It's just that in the last decade, you bois, managed to make things crazy edgy. I really think people in US need to take a chill pill and banish shit like Bernie Bros or whatever hard right icons are there like Proud Boys and shit like that. They just poison what otherwise could be a constructive relationship.

A person or a movement who is just left or just right is not the enemy of the people. I really think that overall in every functioning country there is a strong centrist core that is driven by sensible needs and desires and ready to work with either side as long as it's not too cray cray looking to uproot and smash everything.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Again, that is wrong, the far right is rather popular in Europe and Le Pen is like 47% to Macron's 53% in the latest polling in France.

- - - Updated - - -

The only have like 2-3% of the seats,relative to the far right its nothing.

Just his usual bullshit.
    Because LePen, as it stands now, is not "far right" aka fascist, xenophobe, etc... Sure, a part of her voting base is but her program is far from that.