Class Concept: Runeweaver

This is my concept for a new class in WoW, the Runeweaver. I must say that it was difficult finding a concept that fits the lore and makes sense for the future of this game. I am a third year game design student and I like to occasionally create content ideas (classes, progressions, quests...etc) for established games to practice and gain some experience. This means that your feedback, in all its forms, will be greatly appreciated! I am also working on brand new covenant abilities and soulbinds that I might share in the near future. Well, for now I will share my Runeweaver concept.

Runeweavers are ancient practitioners of magic who lived in the Shadowlands for millennia. They didn't really fit with the known schools of magic or their covenants, and found their own way of channeling the forces of the cosmos. They have unlocked many secrets along the way which made them powerful allies to have. The Jailer seized this chance and compelled the Runeweavers to aid him in his plan with the promise of more knowledge and a place in his new reality. They were instrumental in the Jailer's plan...until they found a way to break from his control that is.
    Runeweavers channel Spirit and Mana alike, through which they are capable of great Preservation or immediate Annihilation. Their vast knowledge manifests in powerful Runes and Seals that can aid them and their allies or hinder their foes.
    Armor type: Cloth
    Primary Stat: Intellect

Core Abilities and Passives

- Spiritbolt. 2 sec cast. No cooldown. No Mana cost. 40 yard range.
    Deals (65% of Spell Power) Spirit damage to the target. Has a 20% chance to chain to a nearby ally healing them for the same amount. Restores 1% mana.

- Spiritburn. Instant. No Mana cost. 40 yard range.
    Deals (90% of Spell Power) Spirit damage over 12 seconds. Restores 0.5% Mana when it deals damage.

- Restore. 1.5 sec cast. 4% of base mana.
    Heals an ally for (250% of Spell Power) plus 10% of all damage received in the last 6 seconds.

- Arcane Assault. Channeled over 3 sec. Cooldown 12 sec. 4% of base mana.
    Deals (140% of Spell Power) Arcane damage to the target over 3 seconds. Has a 30% chance to reset the cooldown of Manasurge and Dissolution when fully channeled.

- Manasurge. Instant. 6 sec cooldown. 10% of base mana.
    Deals (220% of Spell power) Arcane damage to the target. Increases the effectiveness of your next healing spell by 100%.

- Dissolution. Instant. 30 sec cooldown. 12% of base mana.
    Deals (120% of Spell Power) Arcane damage to all enemies in the targeted area over 8 second during which they take 10% increased damage from all Area of Effect abilities.

- Extinguish. Instant. 1 min cooldown. 16% of base mana.
    Deals (180% of Spell Power) Shadow damage to the enemy target causing it to be treated as if it has less than 20% health by any attacker for 4 seconds.

- Rune of Flames. Instant. 15 sec cooldown.
    Wards an ally with a Rune of Flames for 30 seconds that reflects (20% of Spell Power) Fire damage back to any attackers.

- Rune of Vitality. Instant. 15 sec cooldown.
    Wards an ally with a Rune of Vitality for 30 seconds healing them for (30% of Spell power) every second.

- Rune of Destruction. Instant. 15 sec cooldown.
    Places a Rune of Destruction on an enemy that detonates after 3 seconds dealing (120% Spell power) Fire damage to the target and reduced damage to all nearby enemies.

- Rune of Protection. Instant. 15 sec cooldown.
    Wards an ally with a Rune of Protection reducing all Area of Effect damage taken by 20% for 30 seconds.

- Rune of Speed. Instant. 15 sec cooldown.
    Places a Rune of Speed on an ally increasing their movement speed by 20% for 30 seconds.

- Rune of Decay. Instant. 15 sec cooldown.
    Places a Rune of Decay on an enemy causing them to take (600% of Spell power) Plague damage over 30 seconds. Damage increased by 50% if the enemy has a heal over time effect and further increased by 100% if they are below 20% health.

- Seal of Siphoning. Instant. 30 sec cooldown.
    Increases the target’s spell mana cost by 30% for 12 seconds during which you gain 30% of all mana they expend.

- Seal of Chaining. Instant. 30 sec cooldown.
    Slows the target’s attack speed by 20% and movement speed by 60% for 4 seconds. If the enemy uses an ability, then the duration is refreshed.

- Seal of Silencing. Instant. 30 sec cooldown.
    Interrupts the enemy’s casting. If they attempt to cast the interrupted spell again within 6 seconds, then they are immediately silenced for 3 seconds.

- Greater Spellrift. 2 sec cast. 10% of base mana. 2 min cooldown.
    Opens a rift through which a random spell will be cast on the targeted area. Spells:
    • Comet Storm
    • Meteor
    • Healing Rain
    • Earthquake
    • Summon Infernal
    • Shadow Fury
    • Dissolution
    • Power Word: Barrier

- Ancient Knowledge Passive
    By focusing your knowledge, you are able to unlock deeper secrets. May reveal one type of Knowledge at one time unless under the effect of Awakening. Can only be changed outside of combat. Knowledge:
    • Knowledge: Spirits. Increases the damage and healing of Spirit Bolt by 15% and increases the chance it would heal by an additional 30%.
    • Knowledge: Mana. Reduces all mana costs by 20%.
    • Knowledge: Death. Extinguish lasts 2 seconds longer and deals 50% additional damage.
    • Knowledge: Light. Increases all healing done and received by 10%.
    • Knowledge: Runes. Increases the effectiveness of all Runes by 100%.

- Awakening Instant. 4 min cooldown.
    Reveals all Knowledge and increases their effects by 100% for 20 seconds.

- Spellflow Instant. 1 min cooldown.
    Restore 10% of your Mana and gain an effect for 12 seconds based on your Knowledge:
    • Spirits: Spiritbolt and Spiritburn chain to up to 2 additional nearby enemies.
    • Mana: Manasurge mana cost reduced by 30%.
    • Death: Resets the cooldown on Extinguish and gives it 80% reduced cooldown.
    • Light: Spirit Bolt’s chance to heal is doubled.
    • Runeweaving: Runes affect 1 additional nearby ally or enemy.

- Mana Barrier. Instant. 20 sec cooldown. 10% of base mana.
    Reduces all damage taken by 30% for 8 seconds.

- Mastery of Time. Passive.
    Manasurge and Dissolution reduce the cooldown of Spellflow by 3 seconds.

- Runic Focus. Passive.
    Your Rune and Seal spells increase the damage and reduces the mana cost of your next Manasurge or Dissolution by 10%. This effect stacks up to 5 times.

Preservation Abilities (Healer)

- Mastery: Spiritflow. Passive.
    Increases all healing while Spellflow is active by 12%. Spiritbolt and Essence Link gain double the effect.

- Greater Rune of Alignment. Instant. 1.5 min cooldown. 3% of base mana.
    Places all beneficial runes that are not on cooldown on the targeted ally.

- Essence Link. Instant. 20 sec cooldown. 6% of base mana.
    Heals up to 5 injured allies within 30 yards for (150% of Spell Power) linking their spirits for 8 seconds causing them to get healed by (20% of Spell power) every time any of them is directly healed.

- Runic Pulse. Instant. 6 sec cooldown. 8% of base mana.
    Heals all allies within 40 yards that are affected by any of your Runes for (120% Spell power).

- Harnessed Vita. Passive.
    Every time Rune of Vitality heals an ally, the healing of your next Runic Pulse is increased by 1%. This effect stacks.

Annihilation Abilities (Ranged DPS)

- Mastery: Manaflow. Passive.
    Increases all damage while Spellflow is active by 12%. Manasurge and Dissolution gain double the bonus.

- Greater Rune of Calamity. Instant. 1.5 min cooldown. 3% of base mana.
    Places all harmful runes that are not on cooldown on the target enemy.

- Soulbreak. 1.5 sec cast. 3% of base mana.
    Deals (300% of Spell power) Shadow damage over 15 seconds causing them to take 10% more damage from you and deal 10% less damage to you. Limit 1 target.

- Mana Attunement. Passive.
    Manasurge and Dissolution gain an additional charge and your maximum mana is increased by 20%.

Preservation Talents (Healer)

Level 15.

- Enhanced Runes.
    Runes will deal (20% of Spell power) damage or healing when applied.

- Runeweaving
    Each different Rune you apply increases your Intellect by 2% for 8 seconds stacking up to 5 times.

- Rune of Energy.
    Rune of Energy: Places a Rune on an ally that increases their healing done by 8% for 30 second.
    15 sec cooldown

Level 30.

- Spirit Barrage.
    Reduces the cast time of Spiritbolt by 30%.

- Soulflames
    Spirit Burn lasts 8 seconds longer and restores 1% Mana instantly when applied.

- Light Fissure
    Light Fissure: Summons a fissure of light in the target area dealing (90% of Spell power) Spirit damage over 6 seconds. Restores 5% Mana.
    30 sec cooldown

Level 45.

- Runic Barriers.
    You gain an absorb shield for (30% of Spell Power) every time you apply a Rune.

- Improved Mana Barrier
    Mana Barrier reduces damage by an additional 10%.

- Rune of Resilience.
    Wards an ally with a Rune of Resilience reducing all critical damage taken by 20% for 30 seconds.
    15 sec cooldown

Level 60.

- Runic Echoes.
    Runic Pulse extends the duration of your beneficial Runes by 1 second.

- Spiritual Awakening.
    Activating Spellflow resets the cooldown of Essence Link.

- Seal of Exposing.
    Exposes the target for 6 seconds causing all attackers to be healed for 25% of all damage they deal against this target. 30 sec cooldown.

Level 75.

- Runic Preservation.
    When you fall below 50% health, all healing received is increased by 40% for 6 seconds and you gain Rune of Vitality. This effect may only occur once every 30 seconds.

- Spirit Surge.
    Manasurge increases the healing of your next healing spell by an additional 50%.

- Seal of Weakening.
    Places a Seal on the target enemy causing them to deal 10% less damage for 6 seconds.

Level 90.

- Master Runeweaver.
    Reduces the cooldown of Greater Rune of Alignment by 60 seconds.

- Arcane Conduit.
    Increases the duration of Spellflow by 3 seconds and increases the Mana it restores by an additional 5%.

- Tabula Rasa.
    Tablua Rasa: Resets the cooldown of all Seals and Runes and increases Intellect by 10% for 15 seconds.
    3 min cooldown

Level 100.

- Spiritweaver.
    Restore has a 30% chance to apply a random beneficial Rune.

- Cosmic Alignment.
    Awakening now activates Spellflow. Awakening cooldown is reduced by 1 min.

- Spirit Nexus
    Spirit Nexus: Deals (220% of Spell power) Spirit damage over 6 seconds to the target healing up to 5 nearby allies for (120% of Spell power) instantly and again when fully channeled.
    20 sec cooldown

Annihilation Talents (Ranged DPS)

Level 15.

- Burning Touch.
    Spiritbolt burns the enemy for (60% of Spell power) Fire damage over 6 seconds.

- Manaburst.
    Manasurge increases the damage of your next spell by 20%.

- Entropy.
    Deals (600% of Spell power) Shadow damage over 30 seconds. Damage increased by 1% for every 500 mana you spend.
    1.5 min cooldown

Level 30.

- Acumen.
    Increases your maximum Mana by 10% and your Mana Regeneration outside of combat is increased by 200%.

- Improved Extinguish.
    Extinguish will always restore 5% Mana and its effect lasts for an additional 2 seconds

- Spirit Orb.
    Spirit Orb: Fires a Spirit Orb that continuously deals (30% of Spell power) Spirit damage to all nearby enemies. Restores 1% Mana each time it deals damage. Lasts 6 seconds.
    1 min cooldown.

Level 45.

- Secrets of the Shadowlands.
    You are healed for 15% of any Spirit or Shadow damage you deal.

- Improved Mana Barrier
    Mana Barrier reduces damage by an additional 10%.

- Seal of Nullifying.
    Places a seal on the target enemy that reduces all magic damage they deal by 50% for 6 seconds.
    30 sec cooldown.

Level 60.

- Cascading Destruction.
    Rune of Destruction applies a secondary Rune of Destruction to all enemies hit by the explosion. This effect chains only once.

- Disintegration.
    Reduces the cooldown of Dissolution by 10 seconds and increases its duration by 2 seconds.

- Mana Wave.
    A wave of Arcane energy travels forward dealing (120% of Spell power) Arcane damage to all enemies. Gains double the bonus from Spellflow.
    30 sec cooldown. 3 charges. 12% of base mana.

Level 75.

- Runic Preservation.
    When you fall below 50% health, all healing received is increased by 40% for 6 seconds and you gain Rune of Vitality. This effect may only occur once every 30 seconds.

- Spirit Surge.
    Manasurge increases the healing of your next healing spell by an additional 50%.

- Seal of Weakening.
    Places a Seal on the target enemy causing them to deal 10% less damage for 6 seconds.

Level 90.

- Arcane Channeling.
    Increases the channel speed of Arcane Assault by 100% and reduces it’s cooldown by 4 seconds.

- Chaincast.
    Each spell cast during Spellflow increases your Mastery by 5% for the duration of Spellflow. This effect stacks.

- Jolt.
    Jolt: Deals (150% of Spell Power) Spellstorm damage. Every use of Jolt increases its damage by 20% and Mana cost by 50% for 6 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.
    Instant. 6% of base mana. 4 second cooldown.

Level 100.

- Spiritmancer.
    Spiritbolt applies Spiritburn.

- Cosmic Insight.
    Activating Spellflow increases the damage of your next Manasurge by 25%.

- Cosmic Blast
    Deals (460% of Spell power) Divine damage to the target.
    3 sec cast. 20% of base mana.
    1 min cooldown
    Last edited by whyabadi; 2021-09-14 at 10:57 PM.

I feel like I'm missing what the class hook is. What separates this from the existing classes? You have a buncjh of abilities, which is great, but I don't understand what the mechanic that this class brings. It doesn't have that *something* to set it apart. Something like Demon summons, conjuring totems, or shapeshifting. This feels like a bunch of abilities strubng together without a sort of glue bringing them together.

Also, what's the aesthetic of the class? What type of armor and weapons will it be using?

Is it limited to just two specs?

Is it a hard caster? What kind of gameplay would we see?

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I feel like I'm missing what the class hook is. What separates this from the existing classes? You have a buncjh of abilities, which is great, but I don't understand what the mechanic that this class brings. It doesn't have that *something* to set it apart. Something like Demon summons, conjuring totems, or shapeshifting. This feels like a bunch of abilities strubng together without a sort of glue bringing them together.

Also, what's the aesthetic of the class? What type of armor and weapons will it be using?

Is it limited to just two specs?

Is it a hard caster? What kind of gameplay would we see?
    Cloth armor and Intellect as the primary stat. It's intended to be versatile caster with elements from all casters. It has two roles, healer and ranged dps. It is also the closest to a support class without being one. The main mechanics are balancing Mana and utilizing Runes. In a way, it is a disc priest arcane mage hybrid. Thematically, Runeweavers are aligned with Cosmic forces which might become an important theme in the near future based on current predictions of WoW.

The concept is a bit odd to grasp.

Not quite sure how Shadowlands is supposed to connect to this class. I get that we have a Runecarver in Shadowlands and all, but then that's where the connections stop and we have what looks like essentially some broad mix of Arcane, Void and Spirit magic with some sort of Rune or Seals connection, and it makes it a bit more confusion when those particular things are already used (in name) by Death Knights and Paladins.

It's a bit 'high concept' because while you've got a basic link of everything to Spirit and Mana, that seems to end up manifesting into anything and everything spirit or magic related, whether it's Time or Void or Flames or the Cosmos. I'm not seeing a cohesive 'Class' out of these different concepts and what strings them all together as all being a part of this one 'Class'.

Like with Druids, we have a whole bunch of different themes mixed together, but they're all typified as 'Druidic' because we know of the core Nature and Wilds theme that binds them all together. So Druids could be given Fire and Arcane type abilities but it'd be translated as 'Sun and Moon', which plays back into a Nature theme. I feel like that's what this class is lacking, since it seems like everything is dipping into Mage territory or Paladin territory or Priest territory without any real sense of its own identity. I feel like a big part of that identity is asking 'What does this class do that others couldn't simply learn to do', and simply having Runes doesn't really jump out as something particularly different or unique from a lore perspective.

It feels like this class could really use some lore to help carve out a niche. It needs more depth to it, like if you're tapping into Cosmos then what part or aspect of the Cosmos. Or if you're talking about Ancient Knowledge, then what kind of Ancient Knowledge are we talking about. Kinda like how Monks have 'Totems', but they're different because they're specifically 'Jade Serpent statues that are based on the August Celestials', and it gives a much more unique identity and culture of their own. Right now there's just a lot of talk of using runes and tapping into a 'vast knowledge', but then Mages also have a vast knowledge of magic and they could manifest their magic through Runes and Seals if they so chose to. 'Runes and Seals' just happens to be the way this class chooses to manifest their power, and it's something that Paladins and DK's already use. What's the Runeweaver's major hooks?
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-09-15 at 12:14 AM.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a pretty neat idea. I immediately recognized the support aspect, which I love, and having to maintain your mana. There are some interesting new effects here. I particularly like Extinguish which will make certain classes love having you around.

I think there should be more of a distinct difference between Runes and Seals. For example, maybe Seals are targeted on the ground like Sigils and Runes are only placed on friendly/enemy targets. What if Runes had different effects based on if the target is a friendly or enemy?

It's hard to say how the class would feel to play until it's actually seen in action, but those were just my initial thoughts. Overall, I think it seems pretty fun and would love to try it out.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

This is really just a priest with different abilities. There isn't anything mechanically intriguing about it, and that's the last thing we need. You're basically just tracking a ton of medium-length cooldowns, which makes me never want to play this right from the start. You have no unique resource mechanic, no unique combat mechanic, nothing really except a ton of effects that do all sorts of things but don't mesh well into a coherent whole.

If you want to add a new cloth caster first ask how can you REALLY differentiate it from others? Shadow Priest already has a problem being a Mage/Warlock hybrid, and it's only really pulled out by the Voidform mechanic which is very central to the spec - this doesn't have anything like that, as 3597 different cooldowns are just a mess of a concept.

You want to make this actually unique, find a way to bake in runes as a core mechanic - maybe a resource, maybe something that cycles instead of being freely available, anything really. Heck with the concept of using warding runes you could even make this a cloth tank, which would at least be something new (though it remains to be seen if it would also be something good).

Right now this is just a Mage/Priest hybrid with very little attractive design behind it. The backstory and lore integration are secondary; nobody cares about your story justifications if the mechanics aren't good.

Just off the top of my head, here's how I would design a "runeweaver" class:

Make a few base runes, let's say 4. Those are your basic abilities, each doing something different. Let's say:
    - Rune 1: instant cast, DoT on enemy, HoT on friendly
    - Rune 2: cast time, damage on enemy, heal on friendly
    - Rune 3: instant cast, debuff on enemy, buff on friendly (maybe attack/movement speed or whatever)
    - Rune 4: cast time, AoE damage if target enemy, AoE healing if target friendly

That's your bread an butter. But here's the actual core mechanic behind them: when you chain those casts on a target, it'll have an effect based on the combination of runes you used. Think Diablo II runewords:

- 1+1+2+2 could be a big single target nuke
    - 1+1+4+4 could be a big AoE nuke
    - 3+4+4 could be an AoE that spreads the debuff
    - 2+2+2+4 could be a chaining damage/heal effect
    - 1+3+4 could spread DoT and debuff

And so on. Come up with a number of interesting base functions and combos, and the class suddenly has a whole new vibe to it: it'll feel kind of like a fighting game where you try to get in good combos, rewarding you for planning ahead and reacting with the right combo. Then find a way to give that visual feedback - maybe a bar or rune "wheel" or whatever that indicates you are charging a combo. Cooldowns could allow you to cast a combo instantly, or allow you access to special combos in a limited time window, and so on. Heck you could even make it a gimmick that the class can cast while moving a lot of the time, perhaps tied into a combo buff you maintain on yourself. Lots of options. And a lot more interesting than "what if Mage, but also Priest".