Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliad View Post
    I would give it a try. I liked it back in the day for the most part except the ending. I think I have been spoiled by so much good writing that when stuff ends poorly I tend to be harsh. I would never discourage anyone from trying something as everyone has different tastes. Just don't read the graphic novels first.
    I watched the first 3 episodes, coming in with high hopes and great expectations - I can't remember being more disappointed by a show. The premise was amazing, a post-apocalyptic world where only women rule. Perfect vehicle for bringing out more of these shows, women dominated. They had a racially diverse cast, good leads (Diane Lane FFS), and they fucked it all up by making it be about some dipshit with a monkey. I know they based it on the graphic novels (well, I know that now - didn't realize it until I watched the episodes and started complaining, lol) but jesus, there was SO MUCH potential, they could have diverged, abandoned the core material, and broadened the plot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    What a disappointing show. Great premise to start then just transformed into a vehicle for yet another vanilla drama. Fucking waste.
    I could not agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I watched the first 3 episodes, coming in with high hopes and great expectations - I can't remember being more disappointed by a show. The premise was amazing, a post-apocalyptic world where only women rule. Perfect vehicle for bringing out more of these shows, women dominated. They had a racially diverse cast, good leads (Diane Lane FFS), and they fucked it all up by making it be about some dipshit with a monkey. I know they based it on the graphic novels (well, I know that now - didn't realize it until I watched the episodes and started complaining, lol) but jesus, there was SO MUCH potential, they could have diverged, abandoned the core material, and broadened the plot.

- - - Updated - - -

I could not agree more.
    whats the point of turning something into show if you are going to throw out the core material.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    whats the point of turning something into show if you are going to throw out the core material.
    It's done all the time - and in this case, the core material is about some dipshit traveling across the country, trying to keep secret the fact that he's the only man left alive in the world. Seems like almost the ideal time to dump a shitty premise and take the larger view.

If they'd done that, the show could have gone in multiple directions, branching out to industry/military/politics/science of a world with only women. Instead, we have stupidity and banality.

I would be shocked if this show sees a second season.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, the title is Y: The Last MAN. That probably should have clued you in as to what the series would be about.

I have not watched the TV series but I did read the comics ages ago and remember enjoying it quite a bit. From what I recall, Yorick was more a prop for the story to center around as well as an audience surrogate to view the world though more than anything. Agent 355 and Dr. Mann were the more interesting characters but the world itself was the main draw. Just to see how the population reacted to not only losing half the world's population but, as far as pretty much everyone knows, every single male. One of the things that really stuck with me for some reason (putting it in spoiler even though it isn't really a major plot point) was the rise of prostitutes who were women who would dress up as men complete with fake beards and they wouldn't sell sex, but would simply cuddle and hug lonely women. It was stuff like that I found most interesting about the series.

The ending was rather silly. I do remember that.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I mean, the title is Y: The Last MAN. That probably should have clued you in as to what the series would be about.

I have not watched the TV series but I did read the comics ages ago and remember enjoying it quite a bit. From what I recall, Yorick was more a prop for the story to center around as well as an audience surrogate to view the world though more than anything. Agent 355 and Dr. Mann were the more interesting characters but the world itself was the main draw. Just to see how the population reacted to not only losing half the world's population but, as far as pretty much everyone knows, every single male. One of the things that really stuck with me for some reason (putting it in spoiler even though it isn't really a major plot point) was the rise of prostitutes who were women who would dress up as men complete with fake beards and they wouldn't sell sex, but would simply cuddle and hug lonely women. It was stuff like that I found most interesting about the series.

The ending was rather silly. I do remember that.
    Oh, I know - the assumption was all on me as my disappointment enveloped me. The title gave it away and I should have at least thought to look at the shows origins.

But even with all that, the show cast so much potential aside, instead clinging to sophomoric tropes and closed world silliness. So many high roads available to them and the show runners went straight for the stupid.

So looks like they are cutting out one of the main but early antagonists of the Agent, Hero, and Yorick Storyline.

Victoria and her band of Amazonians. Victoria who is essentially Terf goddess meets straw misandrist destroys sperm banks, kills trans men and hunts yorick to end the last men. Also, kills women who do not see eye to eye with her; plus has her amazonians raid 'feminine' women to steal food and women health products. During this time; she brainwashed Hero into trying to hunt and kill Yorick. Also fun fact, all the women cut off one of their breasts in some sort of symbolism.
    Throughout the comic; hero grapples with the aftereffects of Victorias manipulation and brainwashing.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I could not agree more.
    the show actually deviated and broadened. I am reading the comic. The whole political right vs left was a very minor one off thing that was 10 pages then ended.
    Last edited by eillas; 2021-10-04 at 04:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really thought this show would be good. I really did. But holy shit it’s trash tier. Complete woke propaganda with absolute shit writing. Like the writing is just fucking awful. It could have been so compelling but they literally turned this plot into one of the most melodramatic amateur blue haired anti-penis soap operas I’ve ever seen.

Pity
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2021-10-04 at 06:03 AM.

When i first heard about this show, my mind went to that move the children of men and thought itd be amazing to get a similar series which would expand on the depressing social impact losing half the population of the world would lead to.

Not only with how survivors would deal with the greif of losing spouses, husbands, sons, brothers and fathers. But also how to pick up the spliters of civilization to make it functional with something as disruptive as half the population disappearing.

To say i was disappointed is an understatement...
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Looks like the Amazons are back.

Aaaaaaannd it's canceled.

Canceled before they even finished the season ouch.

I went into this hoping for the best, it's an interesting concept. It just became some trash Westwing government drama with so little subtlety it's hard to watch. They seemed to regularly forget they're in the end times too.

There was so little promotion for it, I wonder if they knew they had a turd on their hand before it even aired.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2021-10-18 at 02:55 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Aaaaaaannd it's canceled.

Canceled before they even finished the season ouch.

I went into this hoping for the best, it's an interesting concept. It just became some trash Westwing government drama with so little subtlety it's hard to watch. They seemed to regularly forget they're in the end times too.

There was so little promotion for it, I wonder if they knew they had a turd on their hand before it even aired.
    No surprise, this show had a great premise, but shit all over it with a weak lead and weak writing.