View Poll Results: Do you still feel the love and heart in the game design?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 25.31%
  • No

121 74.69%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The developers may still be passionate, but they seem to be passionate for things that don't work. So it's a useless, even destructive, kind of passion.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences." -- Robert Louis Stevenson
    If you didn't get your COVID shot it's probably too late now, you fool.

the big thing i feel is the complete lack of any internal QA testing.

which while it is probably completely out of control from the devs, certainly does give the impression the company doesn't care.

crappy systems is one thing, you can argue they at least had good intentions or w/e if you want. but stuff like a achievement not giving the reward it should give that was on the frontpage few days ago is just a completely inexcusable lack of testing and that sort of thing happens pretty much everytime new content goes live nowadays.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-09-21 at 01:24 PM.

Yes, but like many have said, the WoW community is BY FAR the worst fucking community/most toxic I've been a part of (and I have played thousands of games of both LOL and Dota 2).

I also feel like this a larger issue of society atm though (as both LOL and dota 2 are still very fucking toxic) that is pretty clear in most large community games (part of the reason I feel indie games have been getting so much love in the past few years). People have just entered a cycle of being so fucking divisive (either you are with me or against me, no in between) and so set they are right that you can hardly converse anymore without someone getting upset.

It leads to things being very polar which isn't healthy, and honestly I have no clue how we get out of this destructive spiral of animosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

The game is completely pozzed and Blizzard are quite far into the death spiral of a corporation reached when a corporation loses any sense of ethics and turns into a bunch of bugman soyboy programmers eating each other for ideological crimes.

The only heart and love in the game comes from the art design (particularly the zones) and the music. Occasionally there is a little bit of love sprinkled into a dungeon or raid, but nowhere near as much as there used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Agreed, but even these aren't so much anymore I feel.

Blizz got rid of their old composer who created their best music and more and more has been going for these... silly, bombastic bits of music that just don't always fit the scene. *Need I say, go to your Alliance WoD garrison and play the default music? Yuck.

The systems though are indeed, by far the worst.
    This always stuck with me how they completely shafted Russell Brower and made his position redundent. He seemed like an amazing, hardworking, humble and a fantastic ambassador for the game and they rewarded his efforts by letting him go.

Im sure the music in wow is still good but its certainly not memorable like it used to be. Infact I cant even think of a theme from SL's in my head and I play wow every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    You can thank Blizzard for going full esport with the game. Ion himself said a couple of years ago (paraphrasing) that the game has been teaching players to minmax the hell out of their characters, whether because they need it or because they yield to pressure from their peers.
    This isn't new. People we kicked for not having their talents 'right' in the old days. The only way you ever aren't being pressured to minmax in wow is if you don't do group content.

It naturally happens in a game that offers difficulty, and has metrics to measure it. People like topping their meters, and don't want to be kicked for underperforming, thus they minmax. Pugging has somewhat also amplified this as people want their randoms to be good.

Only thing that's really changed is players have developed more tools to go over performance with a finetooth comb.

Blizz would pretty much need to ban addons, which would cause a considerable uproar in the community at this point.
    Last edited by Myradin; 2021-09-21 at 01:56 PM.

Any franchise that undercuts, erases, and changes the original lore to suit a new narrative tells me that there is no passion for it, or at a bare minimum there is a misplaced passion for it. Call it jumping the shark, taking a new direction, or whatever else, but modern WoW writers have gone out of their way to kill the origins of the franchise and actively avoid the themes that made the original RTS games and WoW itself compelling. Or worse, they demonize and ostracize the very thing that made Warcraft popular to begin with: war itself. I think that's why BfA failed; the writers hated the very material they were putting out. They aren't comfortable with nuanced positions or morally gray themes. What's more it seems to me they're just trying to copy the trends of pop culture and capitalize on hype trains for stuff like Marvel with the same kind of Disneyfied story telling and themes.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    This always stuck with me how they completely shafted Russell Brower and made his position redundent. He seemed like an amazing, hardworking, humble and a fantastic ambassador for the game and they rewarded his efforts by letting him go.

Im sure the music in wow is still good but its certainly not memorable like it used to be. Infact I cant even think of a theme from SL's in my head and I play wow every day.
    Right!

Meanwhile, the memories of the moody, atmospheric music from WPL/EPL, Teldrassil, Ashenvale, Darkshore, Elwynn Forest, Nagrand... uh, every zone from Wrath and before... come flooding back. I can pull that music up in my head in an instant.

Such a shame for the new stuff.

I will say though, Pandaria is a light in the darkness with its music!
    "For Teldrassil."
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

To me it feels like the decision making devs are stuck in the past and can't seem to move forward and innovate the game in an interesting way anymore. Instead of trying to make the game fun they keep pushing for competition (which can be fun but not when it's the only content available) and thereby ignoring the more casual approach which the game sorely needs.

Equally to blame I'd say is part of the community - and this really is a shit community. So many bitter, jaded, hateful people that just can't seem to move the fuck on...

Or worse the players who think they're cool because they're good at the game and therefor think its okay to treat others like trash... you're good at a game.. SO WHAT? (but this isn't limited to just WoW it's gamer culture in general)

I used to want to work for Blizzard, now even without the sexual harassment stuff I'd give it a hard pass because of the shit community.

I do think theres still heart at Blizzard but the people who have it get held back.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Yes.

The vocal community has gone down the drain though.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Yes.

The vocal community has gone down the drain though.
    With the openly hostile way the devs have been acting for years now its no real surprise.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Definitely in the art and music part of the game.

For the rest of the game (ie: systems and leveling) what little heart and love there was has been beaten into submission, if not worse, by Blizz's unrelenting drive to monetize the game.

Gameplay design has been utterly lacking, rewards design is manipulative to the extreme, story is confused pandering nonsense, art and music are still good but also somewhat in decline (disappointing music, most new creatures are either evidently humanoid or very monstrous with little in between or ferling fresh - Ardenweald has some exceptions, mostly in the form of the gorm).

So yeah it needs some heart, but honestly it needs some proper thought far more direly.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    With the openly hostile way the devs have been acting for years now its no real surprise.
    What an absolutely absurd thing to say. Wow.

Man you sound like someone who's been married for 15 years and now is disappointed his marriage isn't the same anymore, he's wife got older and.put on weight, you are not getting sex and there is nothing to talk about other than daily chores anymore.

Your vague "complaint" that there is no more love for game doesn't even hold any substance other than "they removing funny sex innuendos (lol wtf?)"

There is still plenty of thing that shows creators passion to the game but there is nothing they can do to make it feel like it was first time you played the game. Someone who is in his 30s should be mature enough to realise that.

Honestly? No. Everything feels just so bland nowadays. I don't even have the feeling the developers are putting their personal interest and effort into the game like they did in past expansions. Everything feels just so robotic and by-the-numbers. Most of the stuff feels like it's been developed by an AI and not by developers who have a genuine interest in the wellbeing of the game.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Not in the slightest. The only thing Blizzard cares about now is farming fake Twitter karma and player participation metrics.

The game lost it's soul years ago, and now the body is catching up.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Bloodsail Admiral
    "still"? Do you feel like there was heart and love when Afrasiabi and crew were in charge?