Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
... LastLast
  1. #241
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,589
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Not even kidding, at all.

    $25-$30 a month ( if you take inflation from 2004, until now, it would be around $25 or more)


    With that kind of revenue, there would be ZERO reasons they'd ever have issues meeting deadlines and delivering new content every 2-3 months. Each expansion could have 4-5 major patches. IE X.1 thru X.5, with more mini patches between them. They could explore all the side stories and everything they ever wanted to do with the game. And it isn't very much money at all.
    1) Blizzard's issues are hardly related to money, they are already swimming in it.

    2) Are you really expecting people to fork out the equivalent of a fully priced AAA game every two months, on top of the expansion box, just for the privilege of having a decent, steady arrival of new content?
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's not really retconning though. There's plenty we didn't know from WC3 - a story which is just about 20 years old. The Jailer is the backbone of that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's interesting how a character that didn't exist back then could be the backbone of the story. Guess that story must have been an invertebrate then.

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitbasket102 View Post
    since when was the story a big factor in wow ? most people who care deeply about story quit very early and don't matter to blizzard
    This reminds me of the story of the boy who killed his parents, then at sentencing asked the court for mercy because he was an orphan.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it." -- William James
    Get your COVID booster. It works so much better than horse paste.

  3. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Free tbh, with the constant push for micro transactions they dont need the sub.

    Maybe 5 bucks a month for classic.
    Classic is free and everywhere on the internet. Pservers are now once again much more popular than official ones. Some pservers are actually very creative with their changes, with some recreating the entire core of how classes work.

    Wow can afford to go buy to play including adding a price tag for all its future retail expansions as well as classic releases of old ones. The shop can easily make multiple times the money the sub has been able to bring in. New expansions could change their release cycle in order to better fit the buy to play business model. Also, retail 1-50 going f2p would be a smart move for player retention and slowing down bleeding subs to FF.

    The bot issue will never go away or slow down regardless of pay model. They are too big to fail already.
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2021-10-12 at 09:57 AM.

  4. #244
    How are we supposed to judge how much the subscription fee should cost? From a consumer point of view the lower cost is always going to be the preferred one. From Blizzard's point of view it's going to be the cost that maximises revenue.

  5. #245
    10$ seems reasonable. It's the standard sub price.

    If people are happy paying 10$ to Disney for one new episode a week, 30 days of WoW for 10$ is a damn good deal.

  6. #246
    5 dollars per month for all the games in the launcher anything else is just greed.
    Remember that it is a person you are talking too & not a toilet, just like sane & grown up people do irl you fucking little bitch.

  7. #247
    The Insane Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Undermine
    Posts
    19,979
    The current price is fine for the amount of content you get.

  8. #248
    The Insane Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    18,626
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Please provide some proofs, that development costs more today. But something beyond devs themselves saying it. They're prejudiced. Because, you know, modern development tools are more advanced, like modern engines (Unreal, etc.) and modern cloud servers are much more cheaper to maintain, than old physical blade servers. Overall it should always boil down to whether game worth this sub fee or not. Even if they invest more money into development of current game - we don't see any results. It really seems like current game is outsourced to some cheap Chinese or Indian developers.

    Old Wow servers:
    https://images.mmorpg.com/images/new...erverBlade.jpg
    New Wow servers:
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile...-or-Optron.png
    You can look at the operating cost to see that development is costing a a lot more.

    For example last quarter operating cost were 42% of a net earning of 2B.

    Where in say 2016 it was also 42% but of 1.2b

    https://investor.activision.com/stat...9-80fac352bfd8

    https://investor.activision.com/stat...9-e7c647d36c03
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  9. #249
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Silvermoon Citadel
    Posts
    661
    maybe 3-4 euro...

  10. #250
    Free if they keep time gating everything so heavily.

    $15 if they actually let you play at your chosen pace.

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by Promethieus View Post
    It should be free
    Pretty much this.

    At this point, even Guild Wars 2 is better ESPECIALLY because it's B2P, and the cosmetics are mostly on shop. And the max lvl system has been vastly improved since the expansions started rolling out.

  12. #252
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    1) Blizzard's issues are hardly related to money, they are already swimming in it.

    2) Are you really expecting people to fork out the equivalent of a fully priced AAA game every two months, on top of the expansion box, just for the privilege of having a decent, steady arrival of new content?
    Yes. It isn't very much money. And their issues are 100% money motivated. Having more staff, allows more game development, Q&A, Design, you name it. And betting almost everyone at Blizzard makes $50k-$200k, depending on their job, that is fucking expensive. On top of that, does anyone even understand how much money it costs to RUN WoW for 1 day? The number of servers needed, the networks, the internet, the space, the cooling, the maintenance, the on-site IT staff, etc. Just to run for one day, is probably in the $10,000 range. And honestly, I think that is too low. Now on top of all that, you have to have a design team, a programming team, HR ( apparently ), on and on and on. $25-$30 a month, is nothing, and honestly, if it breaks your budget, you should be figuring other things out in life, but that's a totally different topic. And if they offered a better quality game, more content, fewer bugs, people would happily pay for it. Because again, $15 when WoW first came out, is equal to about $25 today. Even though inflation is hurting everyday folks, Blizzard hasn't increased their prices.

  13. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Yes. It isn't very much money. And their issues are 100% money motivated. Having more staff, allows more game development, Q&A, Design, you name it. And betting almost everyone at Blizzard makes $50k-$200k, depending on their job, that is fucking expensive. On top of that, does anyone even understand how much money it costs to RUN WoW for 1 day? The number of servers needed, the networks, the internet, the space, the cooling, the maintenance, the on-site IT staff, etc. Just to run for one day, is probably in the $10,000 range. And honestly, I think that is too low. Now on top of all that, you have to have a design team, a programming team, HR ( apparently ), on and on and on. $25-$30 a month, is nothing, and honestly, if it breaks your budget, you should be figuring other things out in life, but that's a totally different topic. And if they offered a better quality game, more content, fewer bugs, people would happily pay for it. Because again, $15 when WoW first came out, is equal to about $25 today. Even though inflation is hurting everyday folks, Blizzard hasn't increased their prices.
    Maybe they should figure out how all their other titles which need petty much all of that continue to run free..

  14. #254
    At the bare minimum, 1 USD. Chinavision-Jizzard could charge that for their monthly sub and they'd still be swimming in it.

  15. #255
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    21,984
    I don't mind a sub fee (even at the current price), if Blizzard put in more effort to maintaining or fixing some of the neglected areas in the game. The two clear examples -- although there are plenty more -- is that there needs to be more server merges and there needs to be cross faction play. Right now the solution to playing on a dead server with no economy is to give Blizzard more real person dollars on top of your sub to server transfer elsewhere. The solution to playing on a faction with severely limited end-game is to give Blizzard more money on top of your sub to faction change. Blizzard has made no effort to address these areas of the game, even to their own financial detriment; for many who have been playing for years and are looking at their army of alts, they'd rather stop playing entirely than have to fork out a shitton more money on top of what we already pay monthly and for expansions. There was a point where Blizzard probably profited from this arrangement, but those days have almost certainly passed. For every day they wait to fix these issues, they risk losing money from remaining players who are tired of waiting and no longer feel they are getting a quality gameplay experience for the money they pay each month.

    In a vacuum the sub fee is reasonable to me, but in a sixteen year old game with a dwindling population, there needs to be some changes if Blizzard wants current subscribers to feel like they are getting value out of their money IMO.


    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't mind a sub fee (even at the current price), if Blizzard put in more effort to maintaining or fixing some of the neglected areas in the game. The two clear examples -- although there are plenty more -- is that there needs to be more server merges and there needs to be cross faction play. Right now the solution to playing on a dead server with no economy is to give Blizzard more real person dollars on top of your sub to server transfer elsewhere. The solution to playing on a faction with severely limited end-game is to give Blizzard more money on top of your sub to faction change. Blizzard has made no effort to address these areas of the game, even to their own financial detriment; for many who have been playing for years and are looking at their army of alts, they'd rather stop playing entirely than have to fork out a shitton more money on top of what we already pay monthly and for expansions. There was a point where Blizzard probably profited from this arrangement, but those days have almost certainly passed. For every day they wait to fix these issues, they risk losing money from remaining players who are tired of waiting and no longer feel they are getting a quality gameplay experience for the money they pay each month.

    In a vacuum the sub fee is reasonable to me, but in a sixteen year old game with a dwindling population, there needs to be some changes if Blizzard wants current subscribers to feel like they are getting value out of their money IMO.
    Those services should absolutely be free, ESPECIALLY considering the issues you brought up, but I have always thought this considering we pay subs.

  17. #257
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    21,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Those services should absolutely be free, ESPECIALLY considering the issues you brought up, but I have always thought this considering we pay subs.
    If I had to choose between them making character services free or fixing the problems that made them necessary, I'd rather they be fixed. Paying for a character service is fine IMO if you're like "hey I want to try out being an orc" kind of thing. Paying for a character service because there are no legendary blanks on the auction house on your dead server and haven't been for over a month (true story) and its the only way you can get one is absolutely not okay.

    Just making the services free rather than addressing the disease itself would honestly be a shitty bandaide. The solution to not being able to find pve pugs on Alliance in end-game shouldn't be making it free for everyone to become Horde, because presumably some of the people who have stubbornly stuck with it this long have a reason for doing so, and would rather just simply not have a disadvantage in getting into group content because of what is essentially an aesthetic/story choice. I imagine Blizzard also would like people to play Alliance since that is 50% of their game.

    But hey if they want to make that shit free and fix it, I won't complain.


    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The current price is fine for the amount of content you get.
    I think that depends on how much time you spend playing the game. To buy the expansion, level from 50-60 and complete all the quests and instanced content that's relevant to you in a relatively short space of time and then quit, maybe the cost isn't unreasonable. But to pay a subscription to repeat the same content for up to two years is a bit like paying Netflix every month to keep rewatching Breaking Bad over the same time frame. The longer you pay to play it, the less you get for your money in terms of unique content per dollar.

  19. #259
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,589
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    $25-$30 a month, is nothing, and honestly, if it breaks your budget, you should be figuring other things out in life, but that's a totally different topic. And if they offered a better quality game, more content, fewer bugs, people would happily pay for it. Because again, $15 when WoW first came out, is equal to about $25 today. Even though inflation is hurting everyday folks, Blizzard hasn't increased their prices.
    Ah, the good ol' strawman. Of course there is little difference between $15 and $30, after all what is $15? We could pay $40 per month as well, the difference between $15 and $40 isn't that bigger now, is it?

    Btw, Blizzard hasn't increased their nominal prices because the minimum wage hasn't increased in the US since !#$%ing 2009 ffs. And Blizzard isn't adjusting their fees not out of the kindness of their hearts, but probably because they aren't dumb enough something that could outprice a lot of potential customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's not really retconning though. There's plenty we didn't know from WC3 - a story which is just about 20 years old. The Jailer is the backbone of that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's interesting how a character that didn't exist back then could be the backbone of the story. Guess that story must have been an invertebrate then.

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    If I had to choose between them making character services free or fixing the problems that made them necessary, I'd rather they be fixed. Paying for a character service is fine IMO if you're like "hey I want to try out being an orc" kind of thing. Paying for a character service because there are no legendary blanks on the auction house on your dead server and haven't been for over a month (true story) and its the only way you can get one is absolutely not okay.

    Just making the services free rather than addressing the disease itself would honestly be a shitty bandaide. The solution to not being able to find pve pugs on Alliance in end-game shouldn't be making it free for everyone to become Horde, because presumably some of the people who have stubbornly stuck with it this long have a reason for doing so, and would rather just simply not have a disadvantage in getting into group content because of what is essentially an aesthetic/story choice. I imagine Blizzard also would like people to play Alliance since that is 50% of their game.

    But hey if they want to make that shit free and fix it, I won't complain.
    I really meant server transfers - I've had similar issues on dying realms, and paying the fee per character I have is insane. This kind of service I should not have to pay for in a sub based game, and the merges they have done and CRZ etc did not really fix the issue. Faction transfers are a different story, but if you really wanted that you could just buy a boost anyway, so I feel like most people who have jump ship probably already have.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •