Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

it seems blizz heavily tries to utilize FOMO as a means of re/gaining subscribers

That's how it seems to me at least. Especially this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    That's how it seems to me at least. Especially this expansion.
    You would need to elaborate a bit more because right now I dont understand what you re referring to as FOMO. Is it missing out on the mage tower?
    Last edited by Delever; 2021-09-17 at 12:29 PM.

I felt no FOMO this expansion, so if that's true, Blizzard failed, at least for me.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Is it missing out on the mage tower?
    I'm guessing it'll be mainly missing out on mage tower. Even though to me it only seems to be a small portion of the player base. Especially if they're doing one class at a time.

The mage tower FOMO happened during Legion though. As far as I know, the new mage tower rewards will be available indefinitely. What is being taken away after this expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    If this is in reference to the Timewalking Mage Tower event, it's not really a FOMO-type thing. Timewalking content is cyclical, and Legion Timewalking will occur again in the rota of weekly events. I assume the Mage Tower event, just like the Timewalking raids, will also recur. So if you miss it once, you just need to wait a few weeks for it to pop back up in the rotation.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I felt no FOMO this expansion, so if that's true, Blizzard failed, at least for me.
    there is definete FOMO atm with people being forced to sub now to gear their chars so they can do mage tower once it is releaed in 3-4months because onl ytiem they can do it wil lbe once every half of year.

its disgusting predatory tactics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beelgers View Post
    The mage tower FOMO happened during Legion though. As far as I know, the new mage tower rewards will be available indefinitely. What is being taken away after this expansion?
    there is nothign that suggest this to be true

for al lwe know it may be 1 time thing that wont return for years and once again without original or sl version of transmogs .

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    there is definete FOMO atm with people being forced to sub now to gear their chars so they can do mage tower once it is releaed in 3-4months because onl ytiem they can do it wil lbe once every half of year.
    I don't feel any FOMO about Mage Tower either. Not only did I not particularly like MT when it was around in Legion, I've moved myself into a position where my default assumption is that I'll never play WoW again. In that position, there cannot be FOMO, since everything in the game has already been written off.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I don't feel any FOMO about Mage Tower either. Not only did I not particularly like MT when it was around in Legion, I've moved myself into a position where my default assumption is that I'll never play WoW again. In that position, there cannot be FOMO, since everything in the game has already been written off.
    Very edgy commenting on a game you no longer play.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Not sure you can call if FOMO if its on a repeating schedule.

Some FOMO is good, because it makes you do something. The only reason there was a huge rush doing the magetower at the end of legion is because it was going away. As long as it's not overdone it can be an impetus to act as well. If everything is always available and very easy 10 years into the future, why would you do anything now?

Imagine if real life worked like that, if you buy a house today, you pay a lot, if you buy it in 10 years it costs 20 dollars, but then then they also added a bouse you can live in that now costs the million the original house cost 10 years ago.
    How long could you sustain a system like that? Not very long, people would just go "I'm good thanks, I'll just use the house, keep your bouse"
    We see the same thing happening in wow all the time, different reward streams saturated, armors, pets, mounts, you name it. Once you have 300 weapon skins, do you really NEED the 301st weapon skin?
    You might say "Just keep making cooler weapons!"
    Try it yourself, imagine a sword, now imagine 20 more swords, all cooler, now imagine a 22nd sword, king of them all and coolest, now imagine another 20 swords, all cooler, now keep going until you hit well over 300 swords.

With normalized stats in the mage-tower revamp, we dont need to gear up for it at all...

No FOMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have people been fomoing back into the game every PvP season for elite sets?

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Not sure you can call if FOMO if its on a repeating schedule.
    I mean it’s 1 week in every 6 month period, you could very easily just forget about it or be busy the next time it comes around. Sure that’s not exactly the same as a brutosaur but it can feel the same.

I can’t think of a good reason to not keep timewalking up all of the time, rotating weekly versus monthly. Not for any gameplay reason at least. Or did something change that I missed?
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2021-09-17 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    Very edgy commenting on a game you no longer play.
    It's not edgy, it's a level and factual description of my situation. It might put you on edge, but that's more a "you" problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no! Blizzard is literally making people subscribe to a game to do something they want to do. Oh the humanity.

Look at it from a game dev's point of view. If Timewalking was available all the time, people would get bored of it and would eventually stop playing it. Since timewalking a group-based activity (both the dungeon queues and raids), finding a group would be nearly impossible. By making them time-limited, you ensure they stay relevant as they're "evergreen" content that'll remain for the life of the game.

Is it FOMO? Porbably, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Even the actual Mage Tower was not available all the time when Legion was current. At least they're not making people do Broken Shore WQs to build the Mage Tower for the region T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    it seems blizz heavily tries to utilize FOMO as a means of re/gaining subscribers
    Jokes on them... I intentionally avoid doing limited time things because I find the practice despicable in a game. I play a game to relax on my time... not slave away during their proposed windows. It's a practice that should be stopped. As developers their job is to create content. Allow us to consume it at our own pace or discretion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by cigawoot View Post
    Look at it from a game dev's point of view. If Timewalking was available all the time, people would get bored of it and would eventually stop playing it. Since timewalking a group-based activity (both the dungeon queues and raids), finding a group would be nearly impossible. By making them time-limited, you ensure they stay relevant as they're "evergreen" content that'll remain for the life of the game.

Is it FOMO? Porbably, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Even the actual Mage Tower was not available all the time when Legion was current. At least they're not making people do Broken Shore WQs to build the Mage Tower for the region T_T
    Makes more sense to have them sub and get bored of it than not subbing at all. The way it is now will lead to no sub from anyone. Because they aren’t really giving us much. Just the illusion of a good change, as usual. Their loss in the end.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    there is nothign that suggest this to be true

for al lwe know it may be 1 time thing that wont return for years and once again without original or sl version of transmogs .
    Nothing? Which timewalking reward was ever taken away?