Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ...
11
19
20
21
22
23
31
... LastLast
  1. #401
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Kinda makes all the huffing and puffing about authoritarianism look a little silly and reactionary then, doesn't it?

    I do wish libertarians would start actually engaging with their opponents rather than debating the caricatures of said opponents that they form in their heads based on second hand accounts. But that would defeat the purpose of an ideology built around a persistent state of outrage. It's the OG resentment politics in this country.
    Not at all, considering I pointed to it actually happening in other countries.

    I find your last comment rather hypocritical, considering you admitted you had no intention of actually backing your stance. This is doubly so, since you guys keep trying to argue about libertarians.

    So, if you cannot define that legislation, I will simply use other government action against social media as a reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  2. #402
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Not at all, considering I pointed to it actually happening in other countries.
    And you and other people have pointed out cases of it not happening.

    Again, seems kinda silly and premature on your part.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  3. #403
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And you and other people have pointed out cases of it not happening.

    Again, seems kinda silly and premature on your part.
    Do you have any good "for instance" examples of this? don't recall anyone showing any examples of governments restricting social media in a way they liked. I do recall at least two posters going out of their way to not talk about their own countries.

    So, I'd love to see your examples of what counties, and the legislation you wish to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  4. #404
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,940
    In one corner, we have well thought out posts pointing that we might need some regulatory legislation regarding social media.

    In the other corner, we have Machismo lying, building straw men, and basically just shitting all over the game board.

    His fevered hatred for Trumpers makes sense: it was like looking into a mirror, but the reflection had a red hat.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  5. #405
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Do you have any good "for instance" examples of this? don't recall anyone showing any examples of governments restricting social media in a way they liked.
    Gee, maybe because that could be because social media is largely unregulated and they're capable of understanding the difference between good and bad forms of censorship.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-09-23 at 02:45 AM.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  6. #406
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    In one corner, we have well thought out posts pointing that we might need some regulatory legislation regarding social media.

    In the other corner, we have Machismo lying, building straw men, and basically just shitting all over the game board.

    His fevered hatred for Trumpers makes sense: it was like looking into a mirror, but the reflection had a red hat.
    Except, they haven't been able to even say what that legislation would be. So, apparently.. it's not "well thought out."

    Maybe you can give them a hand.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Gee, maybe because that could be because social media is largely unregulated and they're capable of understanding the difference between good and bad forms of censorship.
    So, no examples...
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  7. #407
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    70,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Once again, this is simply you misinterpreting what I say, on purpose.

    I never said speech should be unlimited. I have stated that trying to restrict misinformation on the internet would be messy, almost certainly heavy handed, and likely lead to major abuses.
    You've declared that, without any evidence or rationale behind that, other than fearmongering about authoritarian states.

    I can oppose it, because I cited real-life examples of that happening as a result of such attempts by governments.

    I've been saying this shit from the beginning.
    And it's been irrational and unjustified from the beginning.

    You're not bringing up anything new. You're just repeating the same errors of reasoning, over and over.

    Are we talking about China? No. So why bring them up? Nobody's proposing their model. It's something you use to deflect.


  8. #408
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You've declared that, without any evidence or rationale behind that, other than fearmongering about authoritarian states.



    And it's been irrational and unjustified from the beginning.

    You're not bringing up anything new. You're just repeating the same errors of reasoning, over and over.
    I've pointed to examples of types of misinformation, and how it's hard to prove intent. You ignored it. One of the key aspects would be "concerned" people who sear they mean well, but push stuff that has a grain of truth to it, even though it pushes a false narrative. I gave literal quotes.

    This isn't new, that's the point. Some of this has been tried before, with disastrous results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  9. #409
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This isn't new, that's the point. Some of this has been tried before, with disastrous results.
    Said the corporatist pro company towns.

    This is satire, right?
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  10. #410
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    70,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I've pointed to examples of types of misinformation, and how it's hard to prove intent. You ignored it.
    I ignored a deflection, for being irrelevant.

    The point of nationalizing social media, in this particular instance, was so that actions could be taken without needing explicitly criminal behaviour to occur.

    If you didn't intend to disseminate child porn, you might not be criminally charged for doing so, but your activity which did so is gonna get shut down. Intent is not relevant outside of specific legal contexts.


  11. #411
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Said the corporatist pro company towns.

    This is satire, right?
    what does this have to do with the thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  12. #412
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    70,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    what does this have to do with the thread?
    What does China have to do with the thread? What does authoritiarianism have to do with the thread?


  13. #413
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Once again, let's see you back this claim up. Of course, since it's literally just your opinion, it can be disregarded as that.
    then why even bother responding LMAO.

    YOU made the claim that libertarianism doesn't allow for chattel slavery, that's your argument, back it up.

  14. #414
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, no examples...
    Not in the slightest; there are plenty of analogues in other instances of free speech and its limitations.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  15. #415
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I ignored a deflection, for being irrelevant.

    The point of nationalizing social media, in this particular instance, was so that actions could be taken without needing explicitly criminal behaviour to occur.

    If you didn't intend to disseminate child porn, you might not be criminally charged for doing so, but your activity which did so is gonna get shut down. Intent is not relevant outside of specific legal contexts.
    This isn't a deflection, this is the argument.

    "Vaccines are killing people."

    "Vaccinated people are still getting sick, and still making others sick."

    "I don't trust what the media is saying about the vaccines."

    "Fauci is a liar."

    "This vaccine is an experiment, and everyone who takes it is a test subject."

    "Ivermectin is effective in treating Covid."

    Here's prime examples of misinformation, which ones would be actionable in your eyes? Which of those should be censored?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Not in the slightest; there are plenty of analogues in other instances of free speech and its limitations.
    Great, let's see them, specifically in regards to regulating social media companies, which is what you called for.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    then why even bother responding LMAO.

    YOU made the claim that libertarianism doesn't allow for chattel slavery, that's your argument, back it up.
    This is your straw man... again.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What does China have to do with the thread? What does authoritiarianism have to do with the thread?
    I pointed to what happens when a government seeks to nationalize social media.

    Do you have a better example of the government nationalizing social media?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  16. #416
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Great, let's see them, specifically in regards to regulating social media companies
    You do understand the concept of an analogue, yes? Rofl.

    Move those goalposts a bit further and you might actually catch one.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  17. #417
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    70,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This isn't a deflection, this is the argument.

    "Vaccines are killing people."

    "Vaccinated people are still getting sick, and still making others sick."

    "I don't trust what the media is saying about the vaccines."

    "Fauci is a liar."

    "This vaccine is an experiment, and everyone who takes it is a test subject."

    "Ivermectin is effective in treating Covid."

    Here's prime examples of misinformation, which ones would be actionable in your eyes? Which of those should be censored?
    Depends of context. All of them are potentially actionable.


  18. #418
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    You do understand the concept of an analogue, yes? Rofl.
    I used one, and people got upset, and it even related to social media itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  19. #419
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    70,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I pointed to what happens when a government seeks to nationalize social media.

    Do you have a better example of the government nationalizing social media?
    I've already provided examples of other forms of nationalized media. Social media is new enough there simply aren't enough examples to draw any universal conclusions, despite your repeated attempts to do so based on what, two examples? From two of the most authoritarian countries on the planet? Context you willfully ignore in your own attempt to use those examples?


  20. #420
    phrases Machismo does not understand:
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This is your straw man... again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •