Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ...
14
22
23
24
25
26
34
... LastLast
  1. #461
    Elemental Lord PfeffermintShake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Woke Mob Craft Services
    Posts
    8,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    My stance was made clear, I oppose the direct attacks to the First Amendment, as well as am hesitant to allow the full nationalization of all social media companies.

    There you go, proof you are objectively wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -



    How do you break up Facebook?

    Do people have to only be friends with others in their area? The only thing that would happen, is that people would all migrate to a single platform, where they are around the most possible people. It's size is a feature, not a bug.
    There's lots of ways to break it up.
    But your obstinance and lack of imagination don't make it worthwhile to explain.

  2. #462
    Quote Originally Posted by KuerbisgeschmackShake View Post
    There's lots of ways to break it up.
    But your obstinance and lack of imagination don't make it worthwhile to explain.
    So, how would you do it?

    If there's "lots of ways," define it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  3. #463
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, how would you do it?

    If there's "lots of ways," define it.
    Hm.

    your obstinance and lack of imagination don't make it worthwhile to explain.
    Reading comprehension is hard.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  4. #464
    "truth" is not a qualifier much less a quantifier of anything objective beyond personal opinions.

  5. #465
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    "truth" is not a qualifier much less a quantifier of anything objective beyond personal opinions.
    I posted anti-vaxxer claims that are objectively true. Even then, it is still misinformation. So, do we censor that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  6. #466
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    69,838
    Quote Originally Posted by KuerbisgeschmackShake View Post
    There's lots of ways to break it up.
    But your obstinance and lack of imagination don't make it worthwhile to explain.
    Like with Youtube, there really aren't. Any attempt to break it up destroys the main draw of the platform. Now, I might find that acceptable in the case of Facebook (seriously, folks, privacy is lovely), but Youtube only exists largely as it does because that's what consumers want. Any breaking up of that model isn't just an action against Youtube, it's an action against those users. Against all the Youtubers who make a living off the site, as it is, for instance, and likely won't survive if they have to pick one subsidiary and a fraction of their old audience.

    There's ways to reform Youtube, but I'd frankly support nationalization to institute a non-profit model over any kind of breakup.


  7. #467
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Hm.



    Reading comprehension is hard.
    It's his thread, his claim. Once again, looks like people cannot even form their own arguments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  8. #468
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    69,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I posted anti-vaxxer claims that are objectively true. Even then, it is still misinformation. So, do we censor that?
    You were capable of recognizing they were misinformation.

    So you've answered your own question, it seems.


  9. #469
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's his thread, his claim. Once again, looks like people cannot even form their own arguments.
    Imagine being so self-important that you think people refusing to engage in any seriousness with a bad faith poster isn't a commentary on yourself rather than their point.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  10. #470
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like with Youtube, there really aren't. Any attempt to break it up destroys the main draw of the platform. Now, I might find that acceptable in the case of Facebook (seriously, folks, privacy is lovely), but Youtube only exists largely as it does because that's what consumers want. Any breaking up of that model isn't just an action against Youtube, it's an action against those users. Against all the Youtubers who make a living off the site, as it is, for instance, and likely won't survive if they have to pick one subsidiary and a fraction of their old audience.

    There's ways to reform Youtube, but I'd frankly support nationalization to institute a non-profit model over any kind of breakup.
    exactly, YouTube needs to be treated the same way public libraries are treated.

  11. #471
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You were capable of recognizing they were misinformation.

    So you've answered your own question, it seems.
    Once again, that sets a very dangerous precedent, of censoring verifiably true information.

    We're well past "fire in a crowded theater" territory.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    exactly, YouTube needs to be treated the same way public libraries are treated.
    People would just make a different one, one that is privately-owned, and switch to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  12. #472
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Once again, that sets a very dangerous precedent, of censoring verifiably true information.
    Not really.

    It sets the precedent that it's not acceptable to use true things to tell false stories. Most of us are capable of making that distinction rather than engaging in silly absolutist bullshit, lol.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  13. #473
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Imagine being so self-important that you think people refusing to engage in any seriousness with a bad faith poster isn't a commentary on yourself rather than their point.
    People making claims, then running away.

    That's troll farm tactics. Luckily, this is the right thread for it. I mean, the level of irony is getting a bit overwhelming right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  14. #474
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, how would you do it?

    If there's "lots of ways," define it.
    I mean, force them to sell off competitors they purchased despite having their own services offering similar things. Like WhatsApp and Instagram.

    That's like, the least imaginative step to take and it's a hugely obvious first step. Facebook is absolutely part of an oligopoly of social media companies, and is by far the biggest and most aggressive when it comes to buying out potential competitors early and either killing off the brand and integrating them into their services or simply keeping the brand that's already popular and profiting off of it.

    When I keep talking about a failure of imagination, it's shit like this.

  15. #475
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like with Youtube, there really aren't. Any attempt to break it up destroys the main draw of the platform. Now, I might find that acceptable in the case of Facebook (seriously, folks, privacy is lovely), but Youtube only exists largely as it does because that's what consumers want. Any breaking up of that model isn't just an action against Youtube, it's an action against those users. Against all the Youtubers who make a living off the site, as it is, for instance, and likely won't survive if they have to pick one subsidiary and a fraction of their old audience.

    There's ways to reform Youtube, but I'd frankly support nationalization to institute a non-profit model over any kind of breakup.
    surely breaking up youtube = breaking up google, making youtube standalone

  16. #476
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    People making claims, then running away.

    That's troll farm tactics.
    Even if that were the case, admitting you're falling for such tactics is a brave move.

    Not a sapient one, but brave.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  17. #477
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Not really.

    It sets the precedent that it's not acceptable to use true things to tell false stories. Most of us are capable of making that distinction rather than engaging in silly absolutist bullshit, lol.
    If you say "Trump is a bastard," that could be censord.

    "The GOP are a death cult."

    "It's clear that Republicans don't care about people."

    "Republicans want a government small enough to fit inside a woman's uterus."

    All of that could then be censored by that same governing authority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  18. #478
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post

    People would just make a different one, one that is privately-owned, and switch to that.
    so what? they're free to do that now. people still use public libraries for the simple fact they're free....

  19. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, force them to sell off competitors they purchased despite having their own services offering similar things. Like WhatsApp and Instagram.

    That's like, the least imaginative step to take and it's a hugely obvious first step. Facebook is absolutely part of an oligopoly of social media companies, and is by far the biggest and most aggressive when it comes to buying out potential competitors early and either killing off the brand and integrating them into their services or simply keeping the brand that's already popular and profiting off of it.

    When I keep talking about a failure of imagination, it's shit like this.
    But, Facebook itself would still be fully intact, right? They would still be able to allow messaging between people, and the sharing of photos. Of course, if you strip it down too much, people will just shift to a replacement. Remember MySpace?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Even if that were the case, admitting you're falling for such tactics is a brave move.

    Not a sapient one, but brave.
    Yes, we've managed to increase the irony even more.

    This is exactly what those farms do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  20. #480
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    If you say "Trump is a bastard," that could be censord.

    "The GOP are a death cult."

    "It's clear that Republicans don't care about people."

    "Republicans want a government small enough to fit inside a woman's uterus."

    All of that could then be censored by that same governing authority.
    Yeah, and if my auntie had nuts she could be my uncle.

    Hustler v. Falwell is a thing. The existence of libel/slander laws hasn't destroyed free speech so your fearmongering about how cutting down on social media misinformation would do so is kind of baseless.

    (Incoming "but China, because as Edge pointed out I have no political imagination and am just going to recycle Republican talking points")
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •