Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's exactly like arguing with a racist about anti-racism legislation.

> "I don't think racism should be banned because they really are inferior."
    > *provides examples of how it's all bullshit*
    > "Well SCOTUS will never ban it so nyeh."
    > *US Civil Rights Act passed*
    > "Oh, shit."
    I like to quote Le Guin in situations like this.

"We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings. Resistance and change often begin in art, and very often in our art, the art of words."

Usually the people who insist the present system is immutable are expressing a desire than a point of fact, and then usually because they have a significant stake in maintaining the status quo and should have their opinions be taken with a grain of salt regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It's exactly like arguing with a racist about anti-racism legislation.

> "I don't think racism should be banned because they really are inferior."
    > *provides examples of how it's all bullshit*
    > "Well SCOTUS will never ban it so nyeh."
    > *US Civil Rights Act passed*
    > "Oh, shit."
    Bullshit, this is another shitty analogy.

So, to conclude, you've compared me to a pedophile, a slaver, and now a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    But I thought SCOTUS and Congress would never let it happen. Were you lying when you said that?

- - - Updated - - -

Bullshit, this is another shitty analogy.

So, to conclude, you've compared me to a pedophile, a slaver, and now a racist.
    Maybe stop using their argument formats and the comparisons will cease? Lol.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

That's not misinformation.

The comparison is willful dishonesty on your part.
    Yes, it is misinformation:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...misinformation

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/misinformation

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...misinformation

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...misinformation

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    But I thought SCOTUS and Congress would never let it happen. Were you lying when you said that?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe stop using their argument formats and the comparisons will cease? Lol.
    I'm simply betting that they won't. Then again, I bet the GOP wouldn't be stupid enough to nominate Trump. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong, when it comes to stupid people and those who thirst for power.

George Carlin was right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hold on, what's this?

false information that is spread, regardless of whether there is intent to mislead
    Congratulations on refuting yourself, I guess.

Hold on, what's this?

Congratulations on refuting yourself, I guess.
    You literally edited out definitions.

Saying someone's zipper is down, when it's not, is misinformation.

It's weird how you keep editing out comments... how very deceitful of you. And yes, I am enjoying the irony. Feel free to edit more, proving me right every single time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm simply betting that they won't.
    There was no "betting" mentioned, bruh.

George Carlin was right.
    Yeah, he was:

Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    "One of the more pretentious political self-descriptions is ‘Libertarian.' People think it puts them above the fray. It sounds fashionable, and to the uninitiated, faintly dangerous. Actually, it’s just one more bullshit political philosophy."
    - - - Updated - - -

You literally edited out definitions.
    That's nice, still doesn't change the fact you literally just debunked your own nonsense about needing to prove intent. Lul.

Yeah, he was:

- - - Updated - - -

That's nice, still doesn't change the fact you literally just debunked your own nonsense about needing to prove intent. Lul.
    Yep:

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”

-George-

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep:

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
    Indeed, they might do something silly like vote libertarian.

Yeah, he was:

- - - Updated - - -

So, why did you edit out definitions that you didn't like?

Are you attempting to deceive, and hide information that doesn't fit the narrative?

I happen to know someone who wants to ban such things, and considers that manifestly harmful.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, why did you edit out definitions that you didn't like?
    Simply exercising my free speech, buddy.

Indeed, they might do something silly like vote libertarian.
    I mean, you literally just edited out my comment, and cherry picked what you wanted, and discarded the rest that didn't fit the false narrative that you wanted to push.

I literally caught you pushing misinformation. Seriously, I want to thank you for that. That was the mother of all self-owns.

- - - Updated - - -

Simply exercising my free speech, buddy.
    I agree, it is free speech, and it is misinformation.

Well, this is awkward for you.

another thread that's become unreadable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you literally just edited out my comment, and cherry picked what you wanted, and discarded the rest that didn't fit the false narrative that you wanted to push.
    I didn't force you to link a definition that disputed your own nonsense about intent; if you don't want people to draw emphasis to it, maybe don't do it. Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, it is free speech, and it is misinformation.
    Then you'll shut up about it because you don't have an issue with that, right?

Unless that was simply another falsehood on your part.

I didn't force you to link a definition that disputed your own nonsense about intent; if you don't want people to draw emphasis to it, maybe don't do it. Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you'll shut up about it because you don't have an issue with that, right?

Unless that was simply another falsehood on your part.
    Now that we've concluded that you are perfectly content pushing misinformation, I guess we're probably done here... unless you think you should be punished.

It didn't refute what I said. It was false information (and I meant to deceive), making it misinformation. I also spread it about. So, goodie for me. It fits all the definitions.

I will shut up about it, when you stop trying to censor it. Otherwise, I will simply point to your own usage of misinformation, and giggle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that we've concluded that you are perfectly content pushing misinformation, I guess we're probably done here... unless you think you should be punished.
    Nah, because what I said was not actually misinformation anymore than your nonsense about people's flies was misinformation.

If you believe it to be misinformation and thus protected speech, then you'll shut up about it since you don't have an issue about it.

It didn't refute what I said. It was false information (and I meant to deceive), making it misinformation. I also spread it about. So, goodie for me.
    It did refute your assertion that intent is a relevant factor, tho.

I will shut up about it, when you stop trying to censor it. Otherwise, I will simply point to your own usage of misinformation, and giggle.
    Why though? You've already stated you don't have a problem with either misinformation or censorship of harmful material.

Really just seems like you're here to be contrarian for the sake of it, lol.

Nah, because what I said was not actually misinformation anymore than your nonsense about people's flies was misinformation.

If you believe it to be misinformation and thus protected speech, then you'll shut up about it since you don't have an issue about it.

It did refute your assertion that intent is a relevant factor.

Why though? You've already stated you don't have a problem with either misinformation or censorship of harmful material.

Really just seems like you're here to be contrarian for the sake of it, lol.
    It fits the literal definitions of it.

See the problem?

I don't need to shut up, because it refutes your own argument on the issue.

When did I say misinformation was a relevant fact to it being the very definition of the word? Methinks you may be mistaking when I was discussing libel, or lawsuits. That may be more misinformation on your part.

I have plenty of issues with certain types of misinformation, especially about anti-vax nonsense. I simply don't feel the need to ban it. Not liking something, and wanting to ban it, are two very different things. I'd recommend not trying to equate the two.

10+ Year Old Account
    It fits the literal definitions of it. See the problem?
    Not really. We're not talking about a dictionary context.

When did I say misinformation was a relevant fact to it being the very definition of the word?
    Move them goalposts further.

I have plenty of issues with certain types of misinformation, especially about anti-vax nonsense. I simply don't feel the need to ban it.
    And why do you have an issue with anti-vax nonsense?

Could it be because... it's harmful?

Not really. We're not talking about a dictionary context.

Move them goalposts further.

And why do you have an issue with anti-vax nonsense?

Could it be because...it's harmful?
    What context are we talking about? Are we talking about pretend definitions? You seem to think I should just ignore what words mean...

No, I don't like people peddling in willful ignorance, or pushing anti-science bullshit.
    I don't need to move goalposts, I even went back and looked at what i was discussing, and it was about legislation and lawsuits, and burdens of conviction.

10+ Year Old Account
    What context are we talking about? Are we talking about pretend definitions? You seem to think I should just ignore what words mean...
    We're talking about a regulatory context. That requires a little more nuance than a dictionary.

No, I don't like people peddling in willful ignorance, or pushing anti-science bullshit.
    Because reasons? Why's this a problem if you don't view it as harmful?