Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    We're talking about a regulatory context. That requires a little more nuance than a dictionary.

Because reasons? Why's this a problem if you don't view it as harmful?
    Well, that's something I asked you to do many, many times, and you didn't seem to want to do it. So, what definition do you want to give it? Mind you, I'll still use the dictionary definition, but at least I'll know where you're coming from.

Because, I'm not a fan of willful ignorance, and I like science.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Because, I'm not a fan of willful ignorance, and I like science.
    Good to know your opposition to anti-vaxxers is entirely a function of intellectual abstraction rather than the harm it causes to actual people in the real world, I guess?

Smh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Good to know your opposition to anti-vaxxers is entirely a function of intellectual abstraction rather than the harm it causes to actual people in the real world, I guess?

Smh.
    Looks like we'll have to use the dictionary definition, since you chose not to define it yourself. Agreed?

I'm not one to paint "harm" with a wide brush, especially when it comes to speech.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    another thread that's become unreadable.
    It does put macho's earlier Trump statements in context.

7+ Year Old Account
    Someone please get the baby out of the boxing ring.

It’s getting murdered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Looks like we'll have to use the dictionary definition, since you chose not to define it yourself. Agreed?

I'm not one to paint "harm" with a wide brush, especially when it comes to speech.
    Most people can infact understand the harm speech can cause. But you American ancaps/libertarians have fun with your 700k+ covid deaths, the first country to be hit harder by covid than the spanish flu.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Most people can infact understand the harm speech can cause. But you American ancaps/libertarians have fun with your 700k+ covid deaths, the first country to be hit harder by covid than the spanish flu.
    I mean, you're trying to insult me, because I support the First Amendment.

Okay, bro.

You know, people, while I loved your back and forth "arguing" for so many pages, in your place I would have asked a very different question:

"Why is the USA and to an extension West so susceptible to Russian/Chinese troll farm propaganda and outright lies?"

This is probably the most cost effective weapons both of them has and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    You know, people, while I loved your back and forth "arguing" for so many pages, in your place I would have asked a very different question:

"Why is the USA and to an extension West so susceptible to Russian/Chinese troll farm propaganda and outright lies?"

why do people buy nike trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    why do people buy nike trainers?
    Ok, explain your analogy to me, please.

10+ Year Old Account

Its own far right causes far more damage lmao.

700k deaths and counting.

Freedom of Speech...and weaponized by the libertariat in the name of Libertopia.

I mean, you're trying to insult me, because I support the First Amendment.

Okay, bro.
    Honestly, you should consider a communist sputtering about how you support free speech to be a badge of honor.

10+ Year Old Account

A combination of being early adopters of social media which remains largely unregulated, combined with a public primed to imbibe all manner of nonsense thanks to decades of also largely unregulated programming by parties like Fox News (there's a strong correlation between countries where Newscorp has a significant presence and a rise in right wing extremism, see: New Zealand vs. the rest of the Anglosphere), as well as low to no emphasis on digital literacy (in the sense of being able to assess what claims and sources are valid and which are not).

Speech is like alcohol. Banning it outright is bad, but a complete free-for-all is equally so as attested by the hundreds of thousands of deaths in this country in the past few years as well as the rapid erosion of what little democratic aspects it has.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-09-25 at 04:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Its own far right causes far more damage lmao.

700k deaths and counting.
    I assume that by "own far right" you mean USA.
    First, 700k dead includes more than just "far right".
    Second - only far right? AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAA.... No, every "side" has fallen to trolling. Every. I said way ago in this thread - no finger pointing to republicans/trumpists/far rightists/whatever. It's a problem for the whole country.

A combination of being early adopters of social media which remains largely unregulated, combined with a public primed to imbibe all manner of nonsense thanks to decades of also largely unregulated programming by parties like Fox News (there's a strong correlation between countries where Newscorp has a significant presence and a rise in right wing extremism, see: New Zealand vs. the rest of the Anglosphere), as well as low to no emphasis on digital literacy (in the sense of being able to assess what claims and sources are valid and which are not).

Speech is like alcohol. Banning it outright is bad, but a complete free-for-all is equally so as attested by the hundreds of thousands of deaths in this country in the past few years as well as the rapid erosion of what little democratic aspects it has.
    This is by far the best and most argumented answer you have given so far on this forum.
    *looks at the other 3 posters writing something sensless*

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Freedom of Speech...and weaponized by the libertariat in the name of Libertopia.
    How about without slogans, eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume that by "own far right" you mean USA.
    First, 700k dead includes more than just "far right".
    Second - only far right? AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAA.... No, every "side" has fallen to trolling. Every. I said way ago in this thread - no finger pointing to republicans/trumpists/far rightists/whatever. It's a problem for the whole country.

The far right in the US has not fallen to any trolling, they do it to themselves. Referring to dangerous far right ideas as just 'trolling' is massively downplaying it.
    And yeah, the whole anti-lockdown and anti-vax shit from the hard/far right is by far causing the most damage at the moment in the US. Russia having a big effect on US politics only happens in its wet dreams, back in the era of the USSR.

What else from any group even comes close when it comes to national-US politics?[Just because the foreign policy shit is a whole other topic]

This is by far the best and most argumented answer you have given so far on this forum.
    *looks at the other 3 posters writing something sensless*
    Somebody is a bit salty over nothing. But its truly horrifying most people are not willing to respond with whole paragraphs to like 1 or 2 lines of text. I feel you.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2021-09-25 at 11:07 PM.

The far right in the US has not fallen to any trolling, they do it to themselves. Referring to dangerous far right ideas as just 'trolling' is massively downplaying it.
    And yeah, the whole anti-lockdown and anti-vax shit from the hard/far right is by far causing the most damage at the moment in the US. Russia having a big effect on US politics only happens in its wet dreams, back in the era of the USSR.

What else from any group even comes close when it comes to national-US politics?[Just because the foreign policy shit is a whole other topic]

Somebody is a bit salty over nothing. But its truly horrifying most people are not willing to respond with whole paragraphs to like 1 or 2 lines of text. I feel you.
    Sure, Russia is incapable, yet the 2016 elections happened the way they did and the intelligence agencies were pretty clear that there was a massive campaign ongoing from Moscow. I guess the million strong troll army of China also can't do shit.
    Lol...