Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
16
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Pandaren Monk Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's a thread about troll farms.
    On a side note, OP did an exceptional trolling job sparkling such a flame without participating in it even once.
    Lives matter

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Getting the government involved in curtailing speech is literally an issue of free speech. Crazy huh....
    who says they have to curtail anything??? that's just you assuming that's the only solution to the problem. like, I keep explaining that if you get rid of these algorithms that make it so misinformation gets spread then that also means you have to figure out how these websites are going to generate the revenue to stay open. IT'S AN ISSUE OF MONEY. if there was some magical way for these social media companies to not use ad revenue then I'd go with that one! but it doesn't exist! sooooooo who or what else exists that can shoulder the burden????
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2021-09-21 at 05:47 PM.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    On a side note, OP did an exceptional trolling job sparkling such a flame without participating in it even once.
    I have no major issue, as he posts plenty. At least he didn't try to derail it with lies and misinformation.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    how says they have to curtail anything??? that's just you assuming that's the only solution to the problem. like, I keep explaining that if you get rid of these algorithms that make it so misinformation gets spread then that also means you have to figure out how these websites are going to generate the revenue to stay open. IT'S AN ISSUE OF MONEY. if there was some magical way for these social media companies to not use ad revenue then I'd go with that one! but it doesn't exist! sooooooo who or what else exists that can shoulder the burden????
    So, how would you do that, exactly?

    Can you explain how they do it in your country?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  4. #104
    Pandaren Monk Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I have no major issue, as he posts plenty. At least he didn't try to derail it with lies and misinformation.
    Hard to derail with such, when it already is in the inception
    Lives matter

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Hard to derail with such, when it already is in the inception
    No it wasn't, this was about troll farms, and their reach. This is especially true about Russian troll farms, as well as those throughout Eastern Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, how would you do that, exactly?

    Can you explain how they do it in your country?
    I already explained, go back and read it.

  7. #107
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,654
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    I already explained, go back and read it.
    You didn't really.


    How do you think the algorithms work currently and how do you change the algorithms in a way that doesn't effect people.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    I already explained, go back and read it.
    No you didn't, you said to nationalize it... then talked about algorithms.

    I pointed out how such things would be a direct attack on the First Amendment, as it curbs speech and association. You may trust Donald Trump and his cronies to be in charge of all social media companies, but I'm sure as shit not going to let that happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You didn't really.


    How do you think the algorithms work currently and how do you change the algorithms in a way that doesn't effect people.
    what? seriously what? I'm confused as to what your position is here. do you not want to deal with troll farms, or....?

  10. #110
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,654
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    what? seriously what? I'm confused as to what your position is here. do you not want to deal with troll farms, or....?
    Would I like to? Yes. But I don't think getting the government involved is the right way. I would rather combat misinformation with truth.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    what? seriously what? I'm confused as to what your position is here. do you not want to deal with troll farms, or....?
    How is nationalizing them going to deal with troll farms?

    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    you get rid of the profit motive. AKA nationalize the company, it would be great if we did that more often.


    How many companies are we talking about, here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  12. #112
    Merely a Setback JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    27,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    How is nationalizing them going to deal with troll farms?
    If you got a decent government that is willing to censor certain dangerous kind of misinformation(mostly anti-vax), it should be easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Timmy still can get lunch, it's just not free.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    If you got a decent government that is willing to censor certain dangerous kind of misinformation(mostly anti-vax), it should be easy.
    You mean like China and Russia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Would I like to? Yes. But I don't think getting the government involved is the right way. I would rather combat misinformation with truth.
    .....


  15. #115
    [QUOTE=uuuhname;53393901].....

    -snip-

    So, how does your government combat those troll farms? Since you cannot explain how you would do it, maybe you can cite how they do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    How many companies are we talking about, here?
    all of them, why not.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    all of them, why not.
    And who is going to control all of this?

    I find it weird you think Trump and his administration would be capable of controlling them all. Tell me, why do you think his administration was competent enough to handle it in a fair and decent fashion?

    You think the government should take over this website, clearly. I'm not sure how things would improve with their involvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  18. #118
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You didn't really.


    How do you think the algorithms work currently and how do you change the algorithms in a way that doesn't effect people.
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    .....


    So lets hear your plan?
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So lets hear your plan?
    I believe his plan is to give all companies to the government, and let the government control it all.

    But, in a totes fair manner.

    Sure, there's no details, but details don't matter when it comes to curtailing free speech.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-09-21 at 06:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  20. #120
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    69,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    But, it does mean the government is in charge of it. That's all fine and dandy, until you live in an authoritarian regime, or when a white supremacist demagogue like Trumpnis in charge.
    And?

    This isn't an argument. This is like saying "driving a car is totally fine, until someone decides to drive their car into a crowd of protestors to kill a bunch of them." Yeah, the latter's a problem. That's why you need laws to prosecute such actions. It doesn't mean you've made an argument against the first part, at all.

    Your position here is fine if your argument is "we shouldn't support our country becoming an authoritarian regime". It isn't fine if you're trying to argue against government regulation or ownership. That's where you're straight off the rails and trying to claim all car owners are murderers.

    Do you want Trump and the GOP in charge of all the social media "including this site?"
    I would argue that you're asking the wrong question.

    If the USA has become a failed state that is collapsing into ethnofascist bullshit, then that's already a problem, and this particular issue isn't a contributing factor.

    "Do you want domestic terrorists to be able to buy a car they can use to drive into crowds of protestors?" Same kind of question. The issue isn't "buying cars" in the analogy, or "government ownership" in what we're talking about, it's the specific motives of the specific actors you're introducing into the example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I don't see how it would even be possible in the US without changes to the first Amendment.
    People seriously overestimate how much the First Amendment protects them. There's plenty of types of speech that aren't protected speech.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •