Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You are right it's 100 time better than "change the algorithms that I have no idea how they work"
    so this is just you virtue signaling. not actually interested in dealing with the problem. at least I'm honest and not pretending to have all the exact answers that are going to be dismissed anyway.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2021-09-21 at 06:34 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    so this is just you virtue signaling. not actually interested in dealing with the problem.
    Nah this is me responding in kind.....

I'm open to actual ideas not, "Have the government change the algorithms that I don't know how they work"

Hell I would be open to the only paid content being actual product ads and not information campaigns.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Nah this is me responding in kind.....

I'm open to actual ideas not, "Have the government change the algorithms that I don't know how they work"
    you can't even begin to explain what "truth" is or what it's supposed to mean in literally any context. it's woefully naïve to the point of satire.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can't even begin to explain what "truth" is or what it's supposed to mean in literally any context. it's woefully naïve to the point of satire.

That was extremely simple.

Meanwhile can you explain how the algorithm currently works and how you would change it?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

That was extremely simple.

Meanwhile can you explain how the algorithm currently works and how you would change it?
    yes, so simple that it's incredibly vague and can mean anything. you lazy hack.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes how silly of me. The literally definition can mean anything..... lmfao...

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And?

This isn't an argument. This is like saying "driving a car is totally fine, until someone decides to drive their car into a crowd of protestors to kill a bunch of them." Yeah, the latter's a problem. That's why you need laws to prosecute such actions. It doesn't mean you've made an argument against the first part, at all.

Your position here is fine if your argument is "we shouldn't support our country becoming an authoritarian regime". It isn't fine if you're trying to argue against government regulation or ownership. That's where you're straight off the rails and trying to claim all car owners are murderers.

I would argue that you're asking the wrong question.

If the USA has become a failed state that is collapsing into ethnofascist bullshit, then that's already a problem, and this particular issue isn't a contributing factor.

"Do you want domestic terrorists to be able to buy a car they can use to drive into crowds of protestors?" Same kind of question. The issue isn't "buying cars" in the analogy, or "government ownership" in what we're talking about, it's the specific motives of the specific actors you're introducing into the example.

People seriously overestimate how much the First Amendment protects them. There's plenty of types of speech that aren't protected speech.
    And... we've seen what happens when totalitarian and authoritarian regimes take control of things like social media. And... I fucking enjoy the First Amendment.

And I fucking enjoy people being free to speak their minds, and having access to information... and not just the information the government deems appropriate.

I'm not asking the wrong question, because he literally called to nationalize all companies (I assume all social media). This isn't even a hypothetical, because it's literally his argument. The "good guys" aren't always going to be in charge.

This is giving more power and authority to those ethno-natioalists.

And... why do you want to give them more power?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Or like how a lot of countries already do it, but they also drink water so you better stop drinking too.
    Give me a good "for instance."

I asked the other dude, but he ran away.

- - - Updated - - -

dude, changes to how the website works is going to affect people, like, that's a fucking given. I don't have all the answers to the exact details to make it so one person has equal engagement to everyone else, but the goal is to make social media equitable. which, in case you didn't realize is why troll farms are a problem, that social media is itself not equitable by virtue of their being a profit motive.
    "Changes, bro."

That is vague nonsense.

You don't have all the answers, you don't have any of them. Yet, you want the government to control them all. Meanwhile, I asked you specifically about your country, and how they did it, and you dodged and ran away. Clearly, you're not even able to use your own country as a model.

So, what country would be the model?

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't an argument, it's you being angry, because you are being challenged on your vague comments.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you explain it?

- - - Updated - - -

so this is just you virtue signaling. not actually interested in dealing with the problem. at least I'm honest and not pretending to have all the exact answers that are going to be dismissed anyway.
    So, how exactly would you deal with the problem?

Having Trump control all the social media doesn't seem like much of a solution.

I'm really at a lose as to why I should waste my time researching any of this when I know it's going to be dismissed outright for not fitting the narrative of the person I'm responding to.

"posts the definition of truth" like that means anything on it's own.

"government doing anything = bad" got real boring to argue with a while ago.

I'm really at a lose as to why I should waste my time researching any of this when I know it's going to be dismissed outright for not fitting that narrative of the person I'm responding to.
    Because... it's your claim. You are asking why you should bother to have an answer for why you have the argument you're making.

Yes, you are at a loss, which is our point. You are simply regurgitating talking points, and you have no substance. Hell, you cannot even answer simple questions, like how your own country does it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really at a lose as to why I should waste my time researching any of this when I know it's going to be dismissed outright for not fitting the narrative of the person I'm responding to.

Nobody is saying that, nobody is making that argument. that's simply you not being able to address your own argument.

Of course, I dare you to actually find that argument being made. Either one would be fine. I'll take any refusal to do so as an admission you were trying to deflect, to make up for your own lies.

10+ Year Old Account

Hello Pot. Meet Kettle......

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The truth has the advantage that it always wins out eventually. But that "eventually" may be in the context of "we now know that the cause of World War 3 breaking out some 150 years ago can be definitively traced to the actions of troll farms based out of Russia in the late 2010s and early 2020s". "Eventually" does not mean "soon" and does not even mean "within any living person's lifetime".
    no, stop, you can't bring logic and reason into this, only feelings and gut emotions.

no, stop, you can't bring logic and reason into this, only feelings and gut emotions.
    So, your solution is to trust authoritarian regimes and Donald Trump to be honest?

Let me know how that works out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...rship_in_China

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, your solution is to trust authoritarian regimes and Donald Trump to be honest?

Let me know how that works out.
    No do you see. You only have to change the algorithm. Doesn't matter how it works currently once you change it, it will fix everything.

People should be able to freely access misinformation about covid19 no matter how many people it inadvertently kills! /s

No do you see. You only have to change the algorithm. Doesn't matter how it works currently once you change it, it will fix everything.
    This reminds me of when I watch a random television show, and they try to film anything technical... and it makes me cringe.

The script is just so damn bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    People should be able to freely access misinformation about covid19 no matter how many people it inadvertently kills! /s
    Would you prefer the government stomp on First Amendment rights, like the others are suggesting?

Or, are you more supportive of the idea of simply not supporting any sites that platform such lies?

ANTI-VAXX FOR LIFE! because my Facebook feed told me so.

ANTI-VAXX FOR LIFE! because my Facebook feed told me so.
    Don't blame others for what you choose to believe.

Or, just stop using Facebook, and stop being friends with ignorant anti-vaxxers. Seems like an easy solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    People should be nannied around by Big Brother because they are clearly incapable of acting rationally on their own. Darn, they are so dim-witted they even need an /s to indicate an attempt at humour
    Last edited by Yadryonych; 2021-09-21 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    People should be nannied around by Big Brother because they are clearly incapable of acting rationally on their own.
    I mean...the past decade or so has been a fantastic example of the bolded because like...yeah, a disturbingly large number of people are very much the target audience for warning labels on bottles of bleach and instructions on boxes for bars of soap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vegas82 smells like poo to me.

Which law did I just break?
    Good ole moderation at it finest... lmfao....