Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I don't see how it would even be possible in the US without changes to the first Amendment.
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    so you see no practical difference between how the Chinese government and the US government works. because to you any government oversight is totalitarianism.
    The US government is literally unable to police speech how you would want.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

so you see no practical difference between how the Chinese government and the US government works. because to you any government oversight is totalitarianism.
    I pointed to the United States government, and the issue of the Trump administration being in charge of social media companies.

You didn't want to talk about it.

Would you trust the Trump administration to control all social media companies?

The US government is literally unable to police speech how you would want.
    good thing this isn't about free speech, this is about companies using algorithms to give a handful of "people" more engagement than the average poster on any given social media website. like, you can can still have troll farms, they just wouldn't have the website's tacit endorsement to get more eyes on their content. that's the issue here not your belly aching over the first amendment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I pointed to the United States government, and the issue of the Trump administration being in charge of social media companies.
    that's your argument, not mine. I am in no way shape or form obligated to address it.

good thing this isn't about free speech, this is about companies using algorithms to give a handful of "people" more engagement than the average poster on any given social media website. like, you can can still have troll farms, they just wouldn't have the website's tacit endorsement to get more eyes on their content.
    Thisnis absolutely about free speech.

China and Russia have nonprpblem endorsing troll farms.

- - - Updated - - -

good thing this isn't about free speech, this is about companies using algorithms to give a handful of "people" more engagement than the average poster on any given social media website. like, you can can still have troll farms, they just wouldn't have the website's tacit endorsement to get more eyes on their content. that's the issue here not your belly aching over the first amendment.

- - - Updated - - -

that's your argument, not mine.
    You called for nationalizing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    good thing this isn't about free speech, this is about companies using algorithms to give a handful of "people" more engagement than the average poster on any given social media website. like, you can can still have troll farms, they just wouldn't have the website's tacit endorsement to get more eyes on their content.
    I mean I haven't been paying attention to what you have been saying, but this is the first I've seen this argument brought up this thread. The rest of us have been talking about illegal and or misinformational content.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I mean I haven't been paying attention to what you have been saying, but this is the first I've seen this argument brought up this thread. The rest of us have been talking about illegal and or misinformational content.
    because you guys insist on making that the main issue. I'm talking about how to deal with troll farms, you guys are doing your own thing.

because you guys insist on making that the main issue.
    It's a thread about troll farms.

10+ Year Old Account
    because you guys insist on making that the main issue.
    Cause that is what OP made it about. It's about Troll farms being able to push lies and deceit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Another person who has never heard of libel. Fascinating.
    So all lies are libel? Are you sure about that? Isn't libel also VERY VERY hard to prove in court which is why you hardly ever hear about it being sued for?

Not to mention libel is mostly civil not criminal.

lol which is exactly what I've been talking about, pay attention for once instead getting so triggered over the topic of government regulations.

- - - Updated - - -

Cause that is what OP made it about. It's about Troll farms being able to push lies and deceit.
    and this is how I think we deal with the problem without it becoming an issue of free speech. crazy huh?

lol which is exactly what I've been talking about, pay attention for once instead getting so triggered over the topic of government regulations.

- - - Updated - - -

and this is how I think we deal with the problem without it becoming an issue of free speech. crazy huh?
    You seemnto be taking issue with the First Amendment itself.

Your solution was to nationalize social media companies. I can only assume you also mean forums like this one.

I simply highlighted the problems with such aspirations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting the government involved in curtailing speech is literally an issue of free speech. Crazy huh....

- - - Updated - - -

It is about free speech, because you are calling on the government to restrict said speech.

Genuine question. Are you an American? Do you know about the First Amendment?

I'll take any failure to answer as a negative admission on both questions.

You seemnto be taking issue with the First Amendment itself.
    I have never talked about the first amendment beyond responding to people saying "this isn't a free speech issue". it's one where companies with a profit motive use algorithms meant to get engagement being exploited by troll farms. now, they're free to get rid of those algorithms on their own, which they won't seeing as that would hurt their bottom line. so, how do you get rid of the profit motive that justifies the use of these algorithms that are exploited by people spreading misinformation???? you get rid of the profit motive all together.

I have never talked about the first amendment beyond responding to people saying "this isn't a free speech issue". it's one where companies with a profit motive use algorithms meant to get engagement being exploited by troll farms. now, they're free to get rid of those algorithms on their own, which they won't seeing as that would hurt their bottom line. so, how do you get rid of the profit motive that justifies the use of these algorithms that are exploited by people spreading misinformation???? you get rid of the profit motive all together.
    We're talking about speech, and government controlling it.

That makes it a First Amendment issue, whether you like it, or not.

As was pointed out, that will likely not solve your problem, because that just creates government-controlled social media. We've seen how this plays out, and it sure as shit doesn't get rid of the troll farms and the bullshit propaganda. China and Russia can attest to this. I know you don't want to talk abut them, but that is the nonsense you are calling for.

Of course, if you disagree, please cite how your solution wouldn't be like those countries, or how this isn't about the government limiting the First Amendment... which you admit you don't even understand. So, how is social media controlled in your country?
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-09-21 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a side note, OP did an exceptional trolling job sparkling such a flame without participating in it even once.

Getting the government involved in curtailing speech is literally an issue of free speech. Crazy huh....
    who says they have to curtail anything??? that's just you assuming that's the only solution to the problem. like, I keep explaining that if you get rid of these algorithms that make it so misinformation gets spread then that also means you have to figure out how these websites are going to generate the revenue to stay open. IT'S AN ISSUE OF MONEY. if there was some magical way for these social media companies to not use ad revenue then I'd go with that one! but it doesn't exist! sooooooo who or what else exists that can shoulder the burden????
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2021-09-21 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    On a side note, OP did an exceptional trolling job sparkling such a flame without participating in it even once.
    I have no major issue, as he posts plenty. At least he didn't try to derail it with lies and misinformation.

- - - Updated - - -

how says they have to curtail anything??? that's just you assuming that's the only solution to the problem. like, I keep explaining that if you get rid of these algorithms that make it so misinformation gets spread then that also means you have to figure out how these websites are going to generate the revenue to stay open. IT'S AN ISSUE OF MONEY. if there was some magical way for these social media companies to not use ad revenue then I'd go with that one! but it doesn't exist! sooooooo who or what else exists that can shoulder the burden????
    So, how would you do that, exactly?

Can you explain how they do it in your country?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no major issue, as he posts plenty. At least he didn't try to derail it with lies and misinformation.
    Hard to derail with such, when it already is in the inception

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Hard to derail with such, when it already is in the inception
    No it wasn't, this was about troll farms, and their reach. This is especially true about Russian troll farms, as well as those throughout Eastern Europe.

So, how would you do that, exactly?

Can you explain how they do it in your country?
    I already explained, go back and read it.