Poll: Should Shadowlands skip 9.3, to make 10.0 come out sooner?

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    I do not think at this point what they have done is beyond the basic storyboard let alone Releasable information/demo/Beta for Blizzconline. Even if they did it would be another rushed mistake like Shadowlands and WoD and with the work environment over at ATB I doubt the mandatory crunch times over the mistakes of the company would go down well. Earliest it could be is mid 2023 if they did not want a shadowlands 2.0.
    You have no idea what they have done so far. You are also not the sole arbiter of how things are either. The next expansi0n will be out by the end of 2022. And that doesn't automatically mean it is rushed either.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    All that said, I would have preferred we got the full 3 patch treatment for Shadowlands. A brand new plane of existence we knew nearly nothing about deserves more than what it appears to be getting. And, specifically, some of these newer characters really could have used more fleshing out over a longer period of time.
    Alas, instead Zovaal is just …bad.
    I think the reaction has taught them the shadowlands period was a mistake in this regard. You go to the afterlife which as you say should be treated like a high fantasy "brand new plane of existence" but the quests are like "Foreman such and such needs you to gather 8 logs and fight these bugs because the afterlife has problems with infastructure, supply and demand and dont get us started on the doping gladiators or vampires with an alcohol problem!".

Its basically outland 2 and both landmasses of floating islands in a void are about as alien as the other. Does Revendreth feels more higher plane than places like Auchindun or Shadowmoon Valley? not really. They pulled back the curtain on death itself and now the biggest threat of dying is if you go to the afterlife with a gorm problem or one with a need to keep up appearances at parties.

Its just too ironically grounded and functions no different from the world of the living. Whats the thematic difference between venthyr jonesing for their anima fix and the wretches of suramar? the entire expansion right down to Tha-not as the Lichier King is "same shit different day online".

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    It's not just me wanting this mess to end, Blizz seem to be rushing towards it, too. We have replacement McGuffins, the Primus is back, Tyrande has been sedated again, not many non-jailer loose ends left, really. There's Denathrius and the dreadlords (Sounds like a heavy metal band), but it's 50/50 odds if they'll be bosses in the next raid, or lead-in for the next expansion (Since they have been retconned into the omnipresent manipulators orchestrating everything that ever happened)
    This comment is gold.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    They should properly fix their expansions and not just cut and run every time they fuck up and then be rewarded with another big infusion of profit from an expansion release. If they don't fix shitterlands, I'm not coming back when they announce their next year long (or more) pay-to-enter public beta.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Raamul View Post
    Also Jailer is a very big lore character, we are not going to kill him. Be will be back later. So we just stop him or try stopping him doing something bad. That leads us to the next expansion. Don't think we chase jailer for 2 patches.
    Not killing / getting rid of the Jailer means we have to deal with him again in another expansion. Is ANYONE really wanting or looking forward to that?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Like it or not. Zoval is a big lore character, don't think we can reach him in 1 expansion. Like sargeras, it will take time. I blame Blizzard for how they told zovals story.
    So?
    N'zoth was also a major lore character, has been hinted at for like a decade and then they dealt with him in a single patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    So?
    N'zoth was also a major lore character, has been hinted at for like a decade and then they dealt with him in a single patch.
    I mean they are both obviously in different leagues, N'zoth is just a parasite we've dubbed Old Gods. The janitor was once the central figure of the machinations of death itself. Much like Sargeras, that is quite a different level and I could see Blizzard's desire to create a new almost omnipotent threat.

That being said, fuck the jailer. His writing is so pathetic, no sane person would give a toss about his mustache twirrling team rocket plans in the future. There is also the issue that we can't just let him do his thing for now, as the story clearly went for urgency with his last escape. That is not something we can just ignore while they slowly build him up for the next 5 years.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    You buy hoping it would be good. Just record sales doesn't necessarily mean it's good. We all know SL started will and quickly turned into shitshow.

- - - Updated - - -

Zoval was introduced in SL.he won't be killed in SL

Nzoth was there for over a decade? Here you go.

- - - Updated - - -

Zoval was introduced in SL.he won't be killed in SL

I mean if they're able to have Sargeras' first appearance in WoW be in a Legion cutscene, a lore figure who is frankly of more importance than both the Jailer and N'zoth, where he then immediately gets invalidated because of the outcome of a fight he wasn't even a part of and we don't get any form of interaction with him at all, including still as yet unresolved elephants in Silithus, I doubt they would have any qualms about introducing some hyped up First Ones laser that just so happens to be conveniently in the same location the Jailer has set off to which activates when we kill some rando called 'The Librarian' as the Final boss of the tomb raid or whatever and happens to just disintegrate the Jailer before he can snap reality.

Meanwhile Bob Jenkins back on Azeroth somehow summons both the Void and Light Crusade causing the next expansion to just happen.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Apples to Oranges.
    N'zoth was name dropped over a decade ago and remained a looming threat, he didn't become an actual threat until 8.3.

Zovaal has been present in SL since the introduction, he's far from a looming threat especially now, as according to the Primus, he's basically one step away from destroying reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    I mean they are both obviously in different leagues, N'zoth is just a parasite we've dubbed Old Gods.
    Well, we all know that Blizzard absolutely upped the power ceiling since SL.

By that standard, even Arthas is a small fish, yet we all know how the community and Blizzard dances around this golden egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    I do not think at this point what they have done is beyond the basic storyboard let alone Releasable information/demo/Beta for Blizzconline. Even if they did it would be another rushed mistake like Shadowlands and WoD and with the work environment over at ATB I doubt the mandatory crunch times over the mistakes of the company would go down well. Earliest it could be is mid 2023 if they did not want a shadowlands 2.0.
    Honestly, the problems with SL are not so much the setting and content but the way the game is designed.
    Getting it right is actually pretty easy. Don't make unecessary stupid systems. Fix the looting system to have more player agency (heck, return of bonus rolls would already be something). Keep improving classes (new talent tier?). Add new class. Add housing or races or customizations. Flying achievable since the .0 patch. Imediate hit expansion.

It's that easy. The WoW players left over are hardly demanding. They just want to have fun and not deal with "dick in the salad" as Belular says.
    WoW devs just have to control their overdesigning urges. Make a game to be enjoyable, not frustrating. Don't force, invite. Have the player experience in mind, not the exec one, not the mau's. No mobile inspired design. Focus on revenue from a sucessful product, not a controlled descent.
    Just, a fun game. Player retention increase through a fun experience people want to come back to. I don't even care if you sell more stuff in the shop, as long as the base product is enjoyable, people will want to buy/support the game.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-09-26 at 04:17 PM.

I think they should stop supporting live WoW and try something new, tbh. Keep the servers going and maybe develop some scaling tools (to make the world have more options) and do what you need to give anyone remaining something to do ... but it's definitely time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    You have no idea what they have done so far. You are also not the sole arbiter of how things are either. The next expansi0n will be out by the end of 2022. And that doesn't automatically mean it is rushed either.
    Neither are you, so don't act like you know shit about this.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    The next expansi0n will be out by the end of 2022. And that doesn't automatically mean it is rushed either.
    That is... very, very unlikely. It would mean no 9.3 and only something like 8-9 months of 9.2, because 9.2 will never be out before feb 2022.

For a final patch that has never happened in the last ~12 years. Its very, very unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Honestly, the problems with SL are not so much the setting and content but the way the game is designed.
    Getting it right is actually pretty easy. Don't make unecessary stupid systems. Fix the looting system to have more player agency (heck, return of bonus rolls would already be something). Keep improving classes (new talent tier?). Add new class. Add housing or races or customizations. Flying achievable since the .0 patch. Imediate hit expansion.

It's that easy. The WoW players left over are hardly demanding. They just want to have fun and not deal with "dick in the salad" as Belular says.
    WoW devs just have to control their overdesigning urges. Make a game to be enjoyable, not frustrating. Don't force, invite. Have the player experience in mind, not the exec one, not the mau's. No mobile inspired design. Focus on revenue from a sucessful product, not a controlled descent.
    Just, a fun game. Player retention increase through a fun experience people want to come back to. I don't even care if you sell more stuff in the shop, as long as the base product is enjoyable, people will want to buy/support the game.

No, the setting is pretty much a huge problem as well. It is not the only problem, but definitely high on the list.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I think they should stop supporting live WoW and try something new, tbh. Keep the servers going and maybe develop some scaling tools (to make the world have more options) and do what you need to give anyone remaining something to do ... but it's definitely time to move on.

I'm like 99% sure you have no idea how businesses work and why this decision at this time would make absolutely no sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Apples to Oranges.
    N'zoth was name dropped over a decade ago and remained a looming threat, he didn't become an actual threat until 8.3.
    Cynical people would say he did not even become an actual threat in 8.3....

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    That's laughable and 100% not true.

? I'm not really playing FF14, but saying that at this every moment his statement is "laughable" and "100%" not true is very weird when all available metrics support his claim.
    Ofc we can not really be sure about anything, but you are WAY too sure about this.

It doesn't matter if they release 9.3, 10.0 or 9.1.8; Numbers mean nothing, as long as they deliver quality content it doesn't matter what expansion we are in. Sadly, people doesn't realize this and just judge every expansion in the first 4 weeks then complaint for 2 years how "bad the game is right now" (despite not playing) just to buy the next expansion collector's edition to start the cycle again. The whole playerbase is more problematic than the game itself.

Also KEK at FFXIV praisers / wow doomers, this is the golden era of ffxiv (which btw is ending because most content creators and players motivated to try the game because of wow bad state already quited) and it barely surpases wow in its worst time.
    Last edited by Baleful; 2021-09-26 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    It doesn't matter if they release 9.3, 10.0 or 9.1.8; Numbers mean nothing, as long as they deliver quality content it doesn't matter what expansion we are in. Sadly, people doesn't realize this and just judge every expansion in the first 4 weeks then complaint for 2 years how "bad the game is right now" (despite not playing) just to buy the next expansion collector's edition to start the cycle again. The whole playerbase is more problematic than the game itself.

Also KEK at FFXIV praisers / wow doomers, this is the golden era of ffxiv (which btw is ending because most content creators and players motivated to try the game because of wow bad state already quited) and it barely surpases wow in its worst time.
    I dunno, logically what expansion we are playing doesnt matter for gameplay in the sense that the raids like Sanctum would have been equally as good if it was Dragon themed instead, but practically I think there is a lot of merit in that some expansion themes are just flat out bad ideas, as well as expansions potentially ending up "tainted" in the players mind.
    It doesnt always make a whole lot of sense, but that tends to be the case for consumer products.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    That is... very, very unlikely. It would mean no 9.3 and only something like 8-9 months of 9.2, because 9.2 will never be out before feb 2022.

For a final patch that has never happened in the last ~12 years. Its very, very unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

No, the setting is pretty much a huge problem as well. It is not the only problem, but definitely high on the list.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm like 99% sure you have no idea how businesses work and why this decision at this time would make absolutely no sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Cynical people would say he did not even become an actual threat in 8.3....
    I don't think it is.

If they had glued the zones together rather than just make them isolated islands you need to go through Oribos to get to, the setting would have been better received.
    I think the problem i didn't mention was the story. Yes, they opened a can of worms they shouldn't have. Also, yes, it would be simpler to just expand some island in Azeroth and make shadowlands just a raid.

next wow saver thing asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post

I got my MBA from DeVry University. Bizness is easy.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    Also KEK at FFXIV praisers / wow doomers, this is the golden era of ffxiv which btw is ending because most content creators and players motivated to try the game because of wow bad state already quited) and it barely surpases wow in its worst time.
    Nothing like a good spoonful of irony to complement one's morning coffee
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.