Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I doubt that. WoW has always dominated any MMORPG when it comes to viewership and activity. it is just easy standard to see how popular it is to other games.
    WoW is as much fun to watch as FF is. So both are boring.

    WoW still has triple its viewership. and when it launches a new expansion it surpasses 1.000.000 views. while FF cant even get to 100k .
    WoW has decent pvp that a lot of people watch, many channels are dedicated to wow pvp.

    It also depends on who's streaming, when asmon streams FF you going to ff is obviously more popular because it has 50k viewers?

    FF is also a LOT more boring to watch, a lot. It's story based, there is very little combat when people are leveling

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    No, actually it shows that their systems can't handle the absolutely massive numbers that were being thrown about. They explained this already. The squish is because they were getting number errors(think the nuclear ghandi error in civ) not "fuck your progression!" that's just in your head.
    Fix the problem, wow did it with legion, but still keeps doing stupid squishes.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I doubt that. WoW has always dominated any MMORPG when it comes to viewership and activity. it is just easy standard to see how popular it is to other games.
    WoW is as much fun to watch as FF is. So both are boring.

    WoW still has triple its viewership. and when it launches a new expansion it surpasses 1.000.000 views. while FF cant even get to 100k .
    Viewernumbers on twitch are definitely not direct indication "game x is more popular than game y". By that logic, mobile gaming is fucking dead and no one is playing Pokemon or FIFA.
    What it is an indicator for tho, is that either people just like to watch WoW more or that there are simply streamers that people like to watch that play WoW. Cause i have high doubts that Osu! is more popular than Stardew Valley, because it has more viewers on twitch if we go with that logic.
    There are a lot of games that sold like crazy, yet have barely any viewers or they fell off quickly.

  3. #23
    The Lightbringer Jazzhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Who knows.
    Posts
    3,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    FF is doing a numbers squish with 6.0, I'm worried it's the start the of the downfall :S
    It's for technical reasons. They literally have to, and they explained why recently in their Live Letter. The game is a tangled mess because of 1.0 and such.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    FF14 is a great game, but I think a fair amount of the people that have fled to it are going to see that once the honeymoon period is over, there isn't much to do. It's a tremendous amount of content to do while you're catching up, but day to day play for the people that have kept up patch to patch is a bit light.
    I call myself a 'new content hound'. I switch games once I've consumed the new smell, and sometimes while there's still some left. That's why I know about FFXiV, and ESO, and WoW, and <other games that may not even be MMOs>.

    So, what you just outlined doesn't actually bother me. I played WoW as my primary/only game from 1/28/2005, the day I rolled my first WoW character, till roughly when Storm Legion came out in November of 2012, and haven't really played more than six months of any one game at a stretch since. I have gone back to WoW at least twice in each expansion, of course, but I don't stay in it and let it bore me.

    So, yes, I played FFXiV for a few months, and I'm in the mid 70s iirc, so I have plenty of content left to consume. It's all in what your expectations are. Not saying you're at all wrong in how you look at it, just pointing out that there are multiple ways of looking at it, and some are more positive.

    YMMV, of course.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    It's for technical reasons. They literally have to, and they explained why recently in their Live Letter. The game is a tangled mess because of 1.0 and such.
    I'd rather they take the time to fix the mess than squish.

  6. #26
    At least Japan is more airtight then California, so you will never hear story like cubicle crawl from there as those issue won't even leave the company. Not saying it won't happen, the country is now renown for their subway crawl after all. But contrary to California that see no issue to publicly sue one of their company, Japan would do everything it can to keep the appearance strong.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

  7. #27
    Dreadlord Sagenod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    What buck? Just play what you want. It doesn't matter to me which MMORPG has the most subs. I just about which one is the most fun to me.

    IDK, it's like some people are looking for permission from others to play a game.
    The buck in this context is referring to the "responsibility" of the biggest MMO developer to lead the genre in a positive direction.
    Check out the Drakonaar, my playable race concept! (WIP -- Looking for artists)


  8. #28
    I don't think I would ever like FFXIV. I loved the very first American final fantasy game on the NES. I hate final fantasy online because of the weeb-ish atmosphere, the cut scenes, and quest dialogue that goes on and on. Reminds me of the dragon age games. I don't think I like the class and class abilities either.
    Blizzard is not doing a very good job of taking care of wow. They seem to put in systems in the game just to make people play the game longer for more subscription money. The latest expansions content is not that fun but when it comes to RPG and D&D style games, WOW is still the most fun for me mainly because of the classes, class abilities, and combat.

  9. #29
    Yes and that's a big reason why many people including myself in the FFXIV community are less than thrilled at the WoW masses suddenly deciding the game isn't "weeb trash" anymore and making characters because a streamer took interest in it.

    If I've learned anything in my time being around the WoW community, it's that they have the inverse Midas touch and a subsection of the playerbase will scientifically engineer the perfect way to suck the fun out of the game for everyone.

    The best way for this to be avoided is, first of all, for the game to not start skimping on social aspects and features so that people understand this is an MMORPG and not an instanced raid simulator. The second best way is for WoW to start doing well again so the people who dedicate their lives to video games don't start ruining the game for everyone else with their shit attitudes.
    If you reply to me with a full essay I'm probably not going to bother reading it, sorry.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Yes and that's a big reason why many people including myself in the FFXIV community are less than thrilled at the WoW masses suddenly deciding the game isn't "weeb trash" anymore and making characters because a streamer took interest in it.

    If I've learned anything in my time being around the WoW community, it's that they have the inverse Midas touch and a subsection of the playerbase will scientifically engineer the perfect way to suck the fun out of the game for everyone.

    The best way for this to be avoided is, first of all, for the game to not start skimping on social aspects and features so that people understand this is an MMORPG and not an instanced raid simulator. The second best way is for WoW to start doing well again so the people who dedicate their lives to video games don't start ruining the game for everyone else with their shit attitudes.
    TBF, wow has always kind of been an instanced raid simulator with side social content and pvp, the problem is the casual content and pvp has taken a bad direction in the recent expansions.

  11. #31
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    4,881
    I don't think there will ever be a true passing of the torch. There's a lot of stuff to do in FF if you're new to the game or returning to the game, but that stuff doesn't last forever. The honeymoon period for people trying the game will end and people will be left wondering what else there is to do.

    The thing is, that design is okay and trying to cement players into your game when there's nothing really to do isn't great. It however is eye rolling to see people say there's a massive amount of content to do, when 90% of it pertains to dressing up (all of which exists in WoW from a collection stand point too). Raids and trials are actually really good in FF, where people will tell you that you can always do savage if you're looking for hard content. At the same time people will ask what's the point of doing higher keys or anything higher than LFR in WoW like that doesn't count as content.

    FF14 is a great game and distraction for me though and my time with it has made me enjoy some of the things it does way better than WoW. It's also a game that I'm going to pick up, play like crazy and then unsubscribe until they add new patches. WoW for me still has things that always keep me entertained though, in PVP and M+. All of which I'm willing to put down as well if I get bored.

    TLDR; You can like both games.

  12. #32
    Scarab Lord Maljinwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    4,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    TWITCH:
    41.3k views World of Warcraft
    12,7k views FF

    I know which king is gonna rule over which

    Even tho pple say FF is busier then WOW, it show doesnt show.
    And if FF ever surpasses wow, it won't rule forever either
    It's just the way it is

    Twitch isn't really a quality meter either, just popularity
    Overwatch has 15k views which dwarfs Team Fortress 2

    However TF2 is the superior game
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    What buck? Just play what you want. It doesn't matter to me which MMORPG has the most subs. I just about which one is the most fun to me.

    IDK, it's like some people are looking for permission from others to play a game.
    This, entirely.

    People on their incessant search for validation for the game they play.

    And here i am thinking that it's great to have many healthy, different MMOs to enjoy whenever one feels boring or stagnant in their wait for the next patch.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    Not that I have any doubts about the game's quality or the developers' integrity, but that doesn't change the fact that the same gamers who complained about WoW are going to complain about Final Fantasy, right?

    SquareEnix certainly has my confidence, but so did Blizzard for a very long time. The pressure of being top dog is substantial and indeed "the grass is always greener" on the other side.

    (inb4 a slow decay of FFXIV optimism breaks down the community over the years)

    But what do you think? Is FFXIV, for whatever reason, going to avoid trending downwards for an incredible amount of time like WoW? Bonus points if you explain what trajectory you see the MMO genre going in as a whole, considering the current landscape.
    I do not understand this mass hysteria lie the community has made up. Yes FF14 is doing great. It however is STILL not out competeing WoW. It STILL has less sub numbers than WoW.

    That is just fact. WoW lost maybe...maybe .5% of it's subs.

    Also people LOVE to shit on blizz and the devs for making mistakes or the scandle; Now I am not saying it was not z piece of shit thing to do. Each person involved was a piece of shit snd should be held responsible. However the entire company has 10s of thousands of employees and only a small handful were involved. FF14 is not this haven too when you have ON national TV the ceo telling his employees to to physically kill themselves because they messed up the event.

  15. #35
    The Insane Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    17,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    At least Japan is more airtight then California, so you will never hear story like cubicle crawl from there as those issue won't even leave the company. Not saying it won't happen, the country is now renown for their subway crawl after all. But contrary to California that see no issue to publicly sue one of their company, Japan would do everything it can to keep the appearance strong.
    Actually some stuff already came out about the FFxiv team in august it just didn’t blow up like blizzard did.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/Perscilal...66071811981315
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    The buck in this context is referring to the "responsibility" of the biggest MMO developer to lead the genre in a positive direction.
    FF is not even CLOSE to being the biggesy. Compared to WoW it is a small fish in a big pond.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    I do not understand this mass hysteria lie the community has made up. Yes FF14 is doing great. It however is STILL not out competeing WoW. It STILL has less sub numbers than WoW.

    That is just fact. WoW lost maybe...maybe .5% of it's subs.

    Also people LOVE to shit on blizz and the devs for making mistakes or the scandle; Now I am not saying it was not z piece of shit thing to do. Each person involved was a piece of shit snd should be held responsible. However the entire company has 10s of thousands of employees and only a small handful were involved. FF14 is not this haven too when you have ON national TV the ceo telling his employees to to physically kill themselves because they messed up the event.
    Humor me though. How do you know for a fact FF14 has less subs than WoW? Do you have private information you're willing to share on either game that details actual concurrent subscribers at any recent data point? How do you know how WoW lost .5% subs (from what point to what point)? Was this value published anywhere or was this insider info you're privy too?

    I have no idea which game has more subs so I don't speculate. I just merely call out when people (on either side) let their bias and irrationality make baseless statements. If you have data to prove your point I'll entertain it, but you're claiming facts with no actual analysis or basis and frankly it's disrespectful to an actual discussion.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Only the mop squish was required because of coding, they should have stopped after, who cares if we're doing 1 billion dps, you can make it like 1.4m and it's easy to read if you want. And the level squish is worst of all, no reason for it.

    Squishes ruin the game.
    How can a squish ruin the game, if things take the same time to kill it changes nothing, all that changes is you go from doing 1 million dps to 10k dps, inflated numbers is what ruins the game more, power increases should be small per expansion.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    After the first squish we've gotten what, 3 bad expansions and one decent one? Plus squishes are anti-mmorpg progression, when they start doing that it shows they stopped caring about your character growing from expansion to expansion.
    this morning i ate an apple,later that day i hit my toe on the desk....DAMN THAT APPLE!!

    the squish has nothing to do with the games decline,also the squish was needed,the numbers were getting insane in mop,also the engine had limitations so they LITERALY HAD TO DO IT

    i just wish they could do it....better...so it isnt needed every 1-2 expansions later lol

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    How can a squish ruin the game, if things take the same time to kill it changes nothing, all that changes is you go from doing 1 million dps to 10k dps, inflated numbers is what ruins the game more, power increases should be small per expansion.
    Small power increases don't feel like you're increasing in power.

    In a gear based game upgrades need to feel like upgrades.

    And yes, it feels bad going from 1 million one day to 10k the next, there's nothing we can do about it, but it doesn't feel good.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    i just wish they could do it....better...so it isnt needed every 1-2 expansions later lol
    Thing is, every one after wod wasn't needed. they fixed the limitation in legion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •